Print Thread
Land Question - Legal #6597186 12/21/16 10:30 PM
R
RovingTexan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Late Spring I bought 1/2 of a 60 acre tract. The land was basically shaped like a "7" and the guy I bought the land from split the 60 into two 30 acre tracts so that both pieces resembled "7s". There is currently no fence between us but I'm planning on building one in a couple of months. Its hard to describe, but I hope that makes sense. Anyway, his brother in law, whose parents used to own the whole tract owns the other 1/2. The story goes that the guy I bought from drew the boundaries and basically screwed my new neighbor because I got the pond and the far SE corner of the property line is about 15 feet from a creek that drops off a good 35 feet or so straight down. I guess they had some bad blood and the guy I bought from had to actually get a no trespassing order against my new neighbor. Several months after I moved in my neighbor came over to introduce himself and to ask me if I would mind giving him an easement of 15-20 feet at that corner so he could get around to the back 1/2 of his property. I have no problem doing so because I want to be a good neighbor. Also at this first meeting we started talking deer hunting and he mentioned he shot a 4 and a 6 point last year. Obviously this made me start to question him, but I didn't say anything. Fast forward to mid Oct and he asked if I would mind him passing through my place to mow his hunting area since he can't get around the corner on his place. I told him ok. He then asked if I would get mad if he "accidentally" got a couple of feet on my property. Like I said there is no fence yet so the boundary is fuzzy. I told him I'd rather he didn't, but if he accidentally did it I wouldn't get upset. Let's just say he came a lot more than a couple of feet and more like 15-20. I let this slide. The other day I was back looking at the land and I noticed he had cut a trail, literally cut as in trees, back to his stand and it is a good 15-20 feet on my property. At this point there is no way he could have "accidentally" done it because the corner marker is right there. I've also had problems with game cameras sitting out for a week at a time and having no pics. Then the next week there will be several hundred pics making me think someone is checking my cameras.

O.K. All that to say that I want as little to do with this guy as possible since he can't respect boundaries. At this point I am inclined to not give him the easement either. If I refuse, he will have a very hard time getting to the back of his place. Is there any legal way he can force me to give him an easement? I really don't want to be a butt, but I don't want to deal with him. He's definitely one of those that will always want to push the boundaries. I thought about calling the sheriff about the trespassing and destruction of my property, but I'm not inclined to at this time. I guess if he makes an issue of me denying his easement request I could bring that up as an option.

Ok. Advice? What would you do?

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597213 12/21/16 10:45 PM
R
RovingTexan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Here is a terrible drawing to give you a better idea.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597218 12/21/16 10:48 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
I would go to him and say that you have decided to no longer allow him to enter your property to gain access to his. Also that you are considering not allowing him an easement due to the damage he has caused and some "other fishy things" that have been occurring. If he pushes back, threaten to press charges for the trespassing, trespassing with a firearm(id imagine he has done this, tell him you have pics)and damages done to your property.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597288 12/21/16 11:38 PM
T
TexasKC Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Good fences make for good neighbors. I'd get the fence up and tell him he's worn out his welcome.

In the end, it's not the years in your life that count, it's the life in your years.
Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597389 12/22/16 12:47 AM
maximus_flavius Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
If you dont mind my saying, your problem is you are too nice a guy.

Get a fence up as soon as you can, & no longer allow him access to your property. I would put up a few T posts & a single strand of wire immediately, to clearly define your property. 100% refuse easement.

His problems are his, & he has to deal with them sometime, but as long as your a nice guy & let him do what he wants on your place, he's never gonna change.

I'm sorry to say it, but there are plain few folks you can be nice to.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597444 12/22/16 01:22 AM
P
Pitman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
P
No he can not legally make you give him an easement. You must think about the future and take care of this now. For all you know he may sell in a couple years then you are dealing with a new neighbor who thinks he owns even more.

You have two options. Sell him a small easement for a pretty penny, have the surveyors clearly mark the easement then fence it at his expense (included in price of sale). This is still being a darn nice guy, but he has to pay for your generosity

Option 2 (what i would do) say screw it call a surveyor on your own dime and mark off the entire corner every 100ft in both directions. Should cost between $500 to $1000 depending on how big the trees are and whether they can shoot directly to a satellite. After the surveyor is done immediately go out there and drive t posts where his markers are. Then you can begin fencing. Look into high tensile wire fencing. much cheaper than barb wire. I just finished fencing in three acres for my goats with 7 strand high tensile and material cost was $1 per foot. That includes all braces and line posts and hardware.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597480 12/22/16 01:54 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
He should have known this when he bought the property. Certainly a survey was done and the boundaries marked. That said, it will decrease the value of your property to grant the easement and will enhance the value of his. He doesn't sound like the type of neighbor you want crossing your property on a regular basis. Once the easement is given you can't take it back. It's not being a bad neighbor it's just good business.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6597587 12/22/16 02:58 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: RovingTexan

he mentioned he shot a 4 and a 6 point last year.

Smith is an antler restriction county which means a person can shoot two spikes or one spike and one buck having an inside spread of 13" or more. Even if the 4 or 6 pointer had a wide spread, the other one was illegal. But this is assuming he shot them in Smith County.

As far as the gamecams, it happens that you get no photos for several days and then lots of activity gets recorded. If he were checking the cams, I don't know why he would be erasing the cards?

The guy shouldn't have cut trees and made a trail that far onto you property. Of course, he doesn't want to end up rolling the tractor off into the creek either. I would have to be there to make that judgement.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6598063 12/22/16 02:47 PM
T
TX Hitman Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Being a landowner, I've had a couple issues with previous owners family.

My suggestion would be to leave the sheriff out of it and put up a fence asap. A simple hot wire fence without power will work. As mentioned above, just something to designate the property line. Then if you continue to have issues with him trespassing, call the sheriff and GW.

As for an easement, he will have to file it with the county. The county will notify you in regards to it because it's your land and you will have an opportunity to give a statement. My suggestion for this is to meet your county commissioner asap and just ask brief questions about the guy in question. If you can get the commissioner on your side, I doubt they will allow the easement. The only reason to approve it would be if that is the absolute only way to reach his side of the property. Or to allow access to a homestead. Hunter access is not a reasonable excuse. Just my 2cents

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6598879 12/22/16 11:43 PM
R
RovingTexan Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
R
Thanks for all the advice. It seems like everyone is pretty much in agreement that I just need to get a fence up and forget about the easement. I'll get started on that right after the holidays. Merry Christmas and Happy New Years everyone!

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6599388 12/23/16 10:45 AM
C
Chico Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
No way would I give or sell the easement. For what that would cost him surely he could hire a dozer to build a creek crossing. Good luck!

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6605001 12/28/16 03:29 AM
T
txshotgun Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Offer to buy him out.

Recycle! Be an organ donor!

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6605028 12/28/16 03:58 AM
T
trash2 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
Tell him your lawyer came out hunting and told you that you can't allow anyone to access it thats not on the deed. Pretend he's your partner if necessary. No need or requirement to give an easement, he has an egress although it might require him spending money to make it passable.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6605278 12/28/16 02:28 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
As others have said, the only way easements are forced in Texas is if there is no legal access to the property, and even then, the county will not necessarily grant you the easement that's easiest for you. They'll grant the least intrusive to other landowners often times. A creek that makes it more difficult for him to get to the back piece is absolutely his problem and no one else's. Do not give this guy an easement and stop allowing him any graces. He's pretty clearly the "give an inch take a mile" type that will not stop encroaching on your land.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: TexasKC] #6605323 12/28/16 03:02 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: TexasKC
Good fences make for good neighbors. I'd get the fence up and tell him he's worn out his welcome.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: TX Hitman] #6606656 12/29/16 02:44 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: TX Hitman
Being a landowner, I've had a couple issues with previous owners family.

My suggestion would be to leave the sheriff out of it and put up a fence asap. A simple hot wire fence without power will work. As mentioned above, just something to designate the property line. Then if you continue to have issues with him trespassing, call the sheriff and GW.

As for an easement, he will have to file it with the county. The county will notify you in regards to it because it's your land and you will have an opportunity to give a statement. My suggestion for this is to meet your county commissioner asap and just ask brief questions about the guy in question. If you can get the commissioner on your side, I doubt they will allow the easement. The only reason to approve it would be if that is the absolute only way to reach his side of the property. Or to allow access to a homestead. Hunter access is not a reasonable excuse. Just my 2cents

The county can't allow an easement for n private property. If there is a new easement it has to be worked out between landowners. If he has access to his property in any way he can't take you court for an easement.
If he wants to get in that corner he needs to hire a dozer and have a road built on his own property.
Sounds like he is using you to me.

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6615786 01/04/17 02:38 PM
E
EchoThumper Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
E
Also, purple spray paint on top of fence posts maybe?

Re: Land Question - Legal [Re: RovingTexan] #6669590 02/10/17 06:23 PM
S
snake oil Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I'm with the buy him out solution if not put up a fence.......

"You may all go to hell and I will go to Texas".
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide