Forums46
Topics537,816
Posts9,729,466
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627210 01/11/17 02:35 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
How is trying to protect our American heritage, anti-American?
Reminds me of an old Joni Mitchell song

"They cut down all the trees, and put 'em in a tree museum,
" then they charge everybody a dollar and a half just to see um,
"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone, they paved paradise, and put up parking lot"
I think that pretty much sums it up.

Life is too short, as is. Don't chance it.
Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: therancher] #6627229 01/11/17 02:44 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: therancher
Originally Posted By: HillbillyDeluxe
Originally Posted By: dogcatcher
All states and their fiscal management are not equal.

You're exactly right. Not all states are equal in fiscal management. Some are okay, some are good, and some are abhorrent.

However one thing that is an unarguable certainty is the federal government has been an absolute disaster at fiscal management over the last 2-3 decades to the point of near certain insolvency and a debt that can never be repaid that grows each and every day. Someone mentioned Teddy spinning in his grave. I concur, but for different reasons.

Anyone who believes the fed is better at fiscal management and conservation than states or private owners simply isn't paying attention, or is lying for some personal agenda.
This isn't about who's best at management, congress has the purse strings on how much $ goes into our lands. What if the feds came to your ranch, declared they could manage it better than you, and took it from you using "eminent domain". Don't tell me you'd roll over for them. People need to educate themselves on this issue. Look up videos from Randy Newburg on public land transfer.

Last edited by Erathkid; 01/11/17 02:45 PM.

Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Stub] #6627242 01/11/17 02:55 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Originally Posted By: Stub
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I agree we should wait and see what the new administration proposes.

But as far as affordable, the US government has a much bigger deficit than most states do. Why do you think the government has a better footing to manage the cost NP?

If you just want the cold hard realties of it, the Feds can run a deficit budget. The states can't. So transfer to states would mean the eventual disappearance of our federal lands for hunting, fishing, recreation, and conservation because they can't afford to maintain their own lands. I hate deficits as much as anybody, but there are about 1 million and one things I would cut before I would sell and/or transfer our federal lands.

Maybe tackle entitlements or SS or welfare - which are by far the largest fiscal issues????

I am flabbergasted any hunter or outdoor enthusiast or conservation minded person would even consider getting rid of our federal lands.

To put it in household budget terms, it would be like running up $100,000 in credit card debt and giving away grandma's jewelry or grandpa's guns to save the costs of jewelry cleaner or Rem oil to maintain them. All the while continuing to add more credit card debt for fancy clothes and cars. It's stupid.

NP

I and several others have asked this question many times; Where do you or anyone else see where anyone has indicated that they would sell the lands if transferred to the states confused2

So far as managing their lands, it appears states do a much better job! Another excerpt from Forbes;

(Obama should make land management agencies turn a profit. States do this with their school trust lands, earning $5.62 for every dollar spent compared to an average of $0.76 for every dollar spent on national forests.

I like the tone of the new administration and our President elect. But if for bureaucratic reasons they cannot turn it around, why not let the states handle it with a simple restriction that they cannot sell the land (which again no one has said they would) unless it is under used by the public and is unprofitable nidea

Also it seems like at least here in Texas, we acquire more public land (state parks) than what is sold up

Once again, watch Randy Newburg's videos. He explains it perfectly.... Funny, on this same issue over in public hunting forum, everyone is in agreement that this is a bad idea. This thread, about the same issue, people are saying giving away our lands is a good thing. Alternate reality universe in which we live loco

Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Erathkid] #6627314 01/11/17 03:56 PM
P
Palehorse Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Erathkid
Over in the " public hunting" section, there is a thread titled, "GOP house moves AGAINST public lands on its opening day"....Watch the videos by Randy Newburg, a fellow hunter. They explain it all. Very informative and go into detail dispelling the myths that are rampant on this issue.

Here's the thread.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6616961/1

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Erathkid] #6627325 01/11/17 04:05 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
How is trying to protect our American heritage, anti-American?
Reminds me of an old Joni Mitchell song

"They cut down all the trees, and put 'em in a tree museum,
" then they charge everybody a dollar and a half just to see um,
"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what you've got til its gone, they paved paradise, and put up parking lot"
I think that pretty much sums it up.

I agree. Danged if I'll be a party to it. Can't believe a bunch of hunters/supposed outdoors folks/supposed conservationists can be swayed off-course so easily. (Well, actually, I can...)

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627354 01/11/17 04:19 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Agreed

Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6627368 01/11/17 04:24 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I can't believe conservationists/hunters want to continue to let the fed mis-manage 1/3 of the land mass. Especially since states and private entities can do it cheaper and so very much better.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Erathkid] #6627384 01/11/17 04:31 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
I agree we should wait and see what the new administration proposes.

But as far as affordable, the US government has a much bigger deficit than most states do. Why do you think the government has a better footing to manage the cost NP?

If you just want the cold hard realties of it, the Feds can run a deficit budget. The states can't. So transfer to states would mean the eventual disappearance of our federal lands for hunting, fishing, recreation, and conservation because they can't afford to maintain their own lands. I hate deficits as much as anybody, but there are about 1 million and one things I would cut before I would sell and/or transfer our federal lands.

Maybe tackle entitlements or SS or welfare - which are by far the largest fiscal issues????

I am flabbergasted any hunter or outdoor enthusiast or conservation minded person would even consider getting rid of our federal lands.

To put it in household budget terms, it would be like running up $100,000 in credit card debt and giving away grandma's jewelry or grandpa's guns to save the costs of jewelry cleaner or Rem oil to maintain them. All the while continuing to add more credit card debt for fancy clothes and cars. It's stupid.

NP

I and several others have asked this question many times; Where do you or anyone else see where anyone has indicated that they would sell the lands if transferred to the states confused2

So far as managing their lands, it appears states do a much better job! Another excerpt from Forbes;

(Obama should make land management agencies turn a profit. States do this with their school trust lands, earning $5.62 for every dollar spent compared to an average of $0.76 for every dollar spent on national forests.

I like the tone of the new administration and our President elect. But if for bureaucratic reasons they cannot turn it around, why not let the states handle it with a simple restriction that they cannot sell the land (which again no one has said they would) unless it is under used by the public and is unprofitable nidea

Also it seems like at least here in Texas, we acquire more public land (state parks) than what is sold up

Once again, watch Randy Newburg's videos. He explains it perfectly.... Funny, on this same issue over in public hunting forum, everyone is in agreement that this is a bad idea. This thread, about the same issue, people are saying giving away our lands is a good thing. Alternate reality universe in which we live loco

Again NP and Erath more hot air, no facts just oh he said hammer Just because Randy says so makes it correct and factual? NO loser8

That is like saying Hillary said it was true and she has never lied or misrepresented the truth rofl

One of you Blow Hards attach a credible link (no libertarian gossip columns) that shows any of these states selling public land that are being used by the public and was not losing money. Also prove that the state has sold more public land than it has acquired during a long period.

texas flag

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Stub] #6627410 01/11/17 04:44 PM
P
Palehorse Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P

One of you Blow Hards attach a credible link (no libertarian gossip columns) that shows any of these states selling public land that are being used by the public and was not losing money. Also prove that the state has sold more public land than it has acquired during a long period.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/h...-fishing#page-2

• Nevada was given 2.7 million acres of federal land when it became a state in 1864. All but 3,000 acres of that has been sold off.
• Utah has already sold more than 50 percent of the lands granted to it at statehood.
• Idaho has sold off 41 percent of its state lands since gaining statehood in 1890, which equates to 13,500 acres per year going into private hands.
And the history of land under state ownership is not good. A report by Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, a national sportsmen’s conservation group, cites these figures:
• In Colorado, only 20 percent of state trust lands are open to the public for hunting and fishing.
• To help ease budget woes in Wisconsin, the state is currently in the process of selling off 10,000 acres of state-owned land.
• In Oregon, as timber revenue from it has declined, the state has been forced to auction off the 92,000-acre Elliot State Forest. Oregon was originally granted 3.4 million acres and has only 776,000 acres left.
• In Idaho, a European-esque hunt club has leased state land for exclusive hunting rights.

"The new leaders of the so-called “divestiture movement” are not ranchers, at least not in the conventional sense. They are inspired by the work of theorists and political appointees like Terry L. Anderson, who wrote “How and Why to Privatize Federal Lands” in 1999. They are men like Utah State Rep. Ken Ivory, of the American Lands Council, a group advocating for the transfer of public lands to the states. Ivory, who sponsored legislation that would do just that, told reporters that the transfer of the lands was “like having your hands on the lever of a new Louisiana Purchase.” (Of course, in the Louisiana Purchase, the U.S. actually bought 827 million acres from France, paying $15 million. Ivory makes no mention of buying any public land from the American people who currently own and use it.)

Rep. Ivory is not a rancher. He represents the district of West Jordan, Utah, a suburb of Salt Lake City, but he knows where the money is in American land. His group receives funding from Americans for Prosperity, the main political advocacy arm of Charles and David Koch, of Koch Industries. Ivory’s bill, the 2012 Transfer of Public Lands Act, has been followed by similar bills in the legislatures of 10 Western states. The Utah legislature has passed a resolution to spend $14 million of Utah taxpayers’ money on a lawsuit against the federal government, demanding transfer of all public lands within the state."

Last edited by Palehorse; 01/11/17 04:59 PM.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627537 01/11/17 05:59 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

• Nevada was given 2.7 million acres of federal land when it became a state in 1864. All but 3,000 acres of that has been sold off.
• Utah has already sold more than 50 percent of the lands granted to it at statehood.
• Idaho has sold off 41 percent of its state lands since gaining statehood in 1890, which equates to 13,500 acres per year going into private hands.
And the history of land under state ownership is not good. A report by Backcountry Hunters & Anglers, a national sportsmen’s conservation group, cites these figures:
• In Colorado, only 20 percent of state trust lands are open to the public for hunting and fishing.
• To help ease budget woes in Wisconsin, the state is currently in the process of selling off 10,000 acres of state-owned land.
• In Oregon, as timber revenue from it has declined, the state has been forced to auction off the 92,000-acre Elliot State Forest. Oregon was originally granted 3.4 million acres and has only 776,000 acres left.
• In Idaho, a European-esque hunt club has leased state land for exclusive hunting rights.

"The new leaders of the so-called “divestiture movement” are not ranchers, at least not in the conventional sense. They are inspired by the work of theorists and political appointees like Terry L. Anderson, who wrote “How and Why to Privatize Federal Lands” in 1999. They are men like Utah State Rep. Ken Ivory, of the American Lands Council, a group advocating for the transfer of public lands to the states. Ivory, who sponsored legislation that would do just that, told reporters that the transfer of the lands was “like having your hands on the lever of a new Louisiana Purchase.” (Of course, in the Louisiana Purchase, the U.S. actually bought 827 million acres from France, paying $15 million. Ivory makes no mention of buying any public land from the American people who currently own and use it.)

Rep. Ivory is not a rancher. He represents the district of West Jordan, Utah, a suburb of Salt Lake City, but he knows where the money is in American land. His group receives funding from Americans for Prosperity, the main political advocacy arm of Charles and David Koch, of Koch Industries. Ivory’s bill, the 2012 Transfer of Public Lands Act, has been followed by similar bills in the legislatures of 10 Western states. The Utah legislature has passed a resolution to spend $14 million of Utah taxpayers’ money on a lawsuit against the federal government, demanding transfer of all public lands within the state."

Thank You Palehorse up

My position has always been only give it to the states with a provision they would not sell it unless it was not being used by the public and was losing money. After reading the F&S article my position has changed to keep it with the Federal Government but do an overhaul on management up

Truly Yours Blow Hart Jr. rofl

texas flag

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Stub] #6627545 01/11/17 06:05 PM
P
Palehorse Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted By: Palehorse

Thank You Palehorse up

My position has always been only give it to the states with a provision they would not sell it unless it was not being used by the public and was losing money. After reading the F&S article my position has changed to keep it with the Federal Government but do an overhaul on management up

Truly Yours Blow Hart Jr. rofl

cheers

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627552 01/11/17 06:09 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Stub, blowhards? Really? I would've expected more from someone that I've known for over 30 years, but you always did let your "bulldog mouth outrun your chihuahua arse". I'll put my IQ and my bank statement against yours anytime, buddy up

Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627576 01/11/17 06:27 PM
P
Palehorse Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
P
http://sportsmensaccess.org/

If you would like to oppose this transfer, please take a moment to sign the petition the site linked above. It reads this:

"Sportsman opposing the sale or transfer of public lands

Dear State and National Decision Makers:

As an American sportsman who values public lands for hunting and fishing, I request that you actively pledge your support for America's public lands legacy and oppose efforts to transfer federal public lands to individual states.

America's public lands managed by agencies such as the U.S. Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management provide important fish and wildlife habitat and public access for hunting and fishing. Millions of Americans use these lands to spend time with their families, put food on their tables and enjoy the great outdoors.

States are simply not equipped to support the enormous costs associated with managing public lands. State ownership would result in the fire sale of public lands to billionaires and foreign companies, where millions of acres would be closed to public access and an American birthright would be lost. "

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Palehorse] #6627585 01/11/17 06:31 PM
E
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
E
Done

Don't text and drive.
Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Erathkid] #6628120 01/12/17 01:21 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Stub, blowhards? Really? I would've expected more from someone that I've known for over 30 years, but you always did let your "bulldog mouth outrun your chihuahua arse". I'll put my IQ and my bank statement against yours anytime, buddy up

I love it when folks don't study chit, buy into crap just because some politician they like says to, ignores all points/facts presented, and then calls others ignorant, blowhards, etc.

It's pretty much becoming the THF blueprint. smile

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Trump's pick for Interior Secretary looks to be good for hunters [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6628159 01/12/17 01:45 AM
H
HillbillyDeluxe Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I love it when folks don't study chit, buy into crap just because some politician they like says to, ignores all points/facts presented, and then calls others ignorant, blowhards, etc.

It's pretty much becoming the THF blueprint. smile

Wow....this has to get the Irony of the Year Award. If no such award exists, there needs to be one just for this instance. Just think, you could be a trailblazer. rolleyes

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide