Re: permit-less carry [Re: krmitchell] #6608130 12/30/16 04:35 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
I believe that there needs to be something in place that requires anyone who wants to carry to be proficient, or at least have a clue, with how to handle a firearm.

When my wife and I went thru the class it was mind-numbing how many in the class had never fired a firearm and frankly it was obvious when we went to the range and they tried to load a fire the weapon.

These are the guys that would be allowed to carry without any oversight? Back in the day our Dad's taught us firearm safety, at least mine taught me. Nowadays most children grow up in a fatherless home with no one there to teach them gun safety and how to shoot. If you have ever been to a public range you will see these guys and girls trying to figure things out of their own pointing their weapon at everyone etc.

And you want to allow them to carry? It is our right to own and bear arms but society is different now. Just like there is now hunters ed there needs to be firearms ed as well before people should be allowed to carry.

And how many of those people didn't pass the test? The CHL shooting test is a pretty big joke. The class I was in rented guns out to people since they didn't own one. Is it scary? Yes. Does someone passing the CHL shooting test make me feel safer? Not really. The only part of the CHL class that is worth a damn in my opinion is the education about laws, etc. At least people can leave there knowing when they can/can't shoot/draw their weapon, etc. I asked the instructor how many people they had failed in the past and they said not a single one. Actually only one person had to take the shooting test a second time out of every class they offered. That tells me that the shooting test is worthless if on one is failing. (I know that people do fail it but it is such a small number nothing has been accomplished there.

When I took my class, the lady next to me hit the ground with her first three shots at 3 yards. Yes, you read that correctly. The instructor came over to get a closer look at what she was doing, and she hit the ground with the 4th shot. I was glad that he removed her from the firing line.

Re: permit-less carry [Re: fishfree] #6608435 12/30/16 08:53 PM
C
chital_shikari Offline
Minor in training
Minor in training
C
"I've got a bad feeling about this"....

Re: permit-less carry [Re: billybob] #6608583 12/30/16 11:06 PM
A
Auctioneer1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: billybob
Originally Posted By: Tikka270wsm
Was always about the fees.The BS part is we pay a tax to be able to use our constitutional right.

Can't imagine it's about the fees...there are approximately 1 Mil CHL holders in TX. Some pay $70 some pay $140 to the state EVERY 5 years. That hardly pays for the administration of the process. Whether there is a license required or not...someone will have to pay for the background investigation. Don't want it coming out of my federal taxes or any state sales tax.

I just took the LTC class in October and still have not gotten my license. I have called a couple times and all you get is its still under review. I don't think anyone should have to pay anything until they are issued a license, but that's not the case. I'm all for carrying a gun, but I would like to see people at least have to pass a test to carry and be safe about it.

Re: permit-less carry [Re: Auctioneer1] #6611886 01/02/17 12:20 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1
Originally Posted By: billybob
Originally Posted By: Tikka270wsm
Was always about the fees.The BS part is we pay a tax to be able to use our constitutional right.

Can't imagine it's about the fees...there are approximately 1 Mil CHL holders in TX. Some pay $70 some pay $140 to the state EVERY 5 years. That hardly pays for the administration of the process. Whether there is a license required or not...someone will have to pay for the background investigation. Don't want it coming out of my federal taxes or any state sales tax.

I just took the LTC class in October and still have not gotten my license. I have called a couple times and all you get is its still under review. I don't think anyone should have to pay anything until they are issued a license, but that's not the case. I'm all for carrying a gun, but I would like to see people at least have to pass a test to carry and be safe about it.

Just apply at Vermont, I thought it was like $100

Re: permit-less carry [Re: Deerhunter61] #6618962 01/06/17 12:05 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
I believe that there needs to be something in place that requires anyone who wants to carry to be proficient, or at least have a clue, with how to handle a firearm.

Bull chit! The only requirement one should have to meet is whether they can legally own a fire arm or not. It's the "I believe" people that lost us that right many years ago.

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 01/06/17 12:26 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: permit-less carry [Re: Auctioneer1] #6618994 01/06/17 12:55 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Quote:
I'm all for carrying a gun, but I would like to see people at least have to pass a test to carry and be safe about it.

And I believe those wanting to carry should either be active duty military, retired or prior service. Retired, active duty or prior law enforcement also meet my standards.

See how that "I believe" chit works.

I've been trained on M-14's, M-16's, M-60's, M-72's M-79's, M-102's, M-107's, M-109's, M-110's M-114's M-203's and even the lowly M-1911. That's not counting explosives training or 30 years of competition shooting with all levels of firearms and 50+ years of hunting experience.

Yet by your standard and the states I need to pass a test, that's funny!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: permit-less carry [Re: fishfree] #6619027 01/06/17 01:17 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
From a personal perspective, I hope it passes. Being former LEO, I have qualified to my hearts content.

I don't see where monies/fees are an issue, get rid of the CHL and dismantle the oversight dept, or reallocate those resources to another dept. The FED can continue doing the background as those only pertain to new ownership anyway.

As far as the shooting portion of the current CHL class, I don't think shooting the bulls eye out 100% of the time is as important as demonstrating the knowledge and familiarity capable of handling a firearm, which I find hard to understand in such a short class to begin with. (No I haven't attended one, just what CHL holders have mentioned)

Prior to the CHL rules when we had the "travel/overnight" guidelines, I can't recall it being a big deal, bad guy's had guns then as well.

Liability and the rest of gun possession laws staying the same.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: permit-less carry [Re: Western] #6619104 01/06/17 02:02 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Western
From a personal perspective, I hope it passes. Being former LEO, I have qualified to my hearts content.

I don't see where monies/fees are an issue, get rid of the CHL and dismantle the oversight dept, or reallocate those resources to another dept. The FED can continue doing the background as those only pertain to new ownership anyway.

As far as the shooting portion of the current CHL class, I don't think shooting the bulls eye out 100% of the time is as important as demonstrating the knowledge and familiarity capable of handling a firearm, which I find hard to understand in such a short class to begin with. (No I haven't attended one, just what CHL holders have mentioned)

Prior to the CHL rules when we had the "travel/overnight" guidelines, I can't recall it being a big deal, bad guy's had guns then as well.

Liability and the rest of gun possession laws staying the same.

The only part of the LTC class I felt was worth it was the part explaining the laws, especially how to identify to LEO's that you were carrying.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide