Forums46
Topics537,987
Posts9,731,426
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: 8pointdrop] #6560240 11/27/16 07:04 AM
M
MELackey Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
4 mature bucks in 2 years and still hunting for more on 56 acres? You might be "that" neighbor

My thoughts exactly.

we have 650 acres under MLD3 in Coryell County, not terribly far from Hamilton. We have 6 buck tags issued to us. That means 1 buck, including culls, etc per 100 acres. On 56 acres, honestly, one buck per year is pushing it from a game management perspective. The landowner (your uncle) is going to allow the area to be shot out quickly if he allows extended family to continue to come out and hunt.

Just for a bit of perspective, neighbors that own larger tracts spend increasingly large sums of money on habitat management and quality management in deer herds. No one specifically WANTS to high fence. It is expensive and honestly makes herd management increasingly more difficult. BUT, landowners end up deciding to spend the money when neighbors (it usually is smaller acreage neighbors) don't share management visions.

I understand that no one owns the deer and you are certainly free to shoot every deer you see, but they are free to take exception and fence you out.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560278 11/27/16 12:02 PM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I guess my question is are the other neighbors high fencing you in too?
That one rancher talked three other people into fencing you in?

If so that would be seen as collusion in the courts.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Simple Searcher] #6560285 11/27/16 12:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
UMM
Your feeder is 50 yards from his property line.
You have shot 2 bucks last year and two this year and doe, on 56 acres.

Not sure of the location of your property, but in East Texas, it takes roughly 100 acres of good deer habitat (good browse and cover) to support a harvest rate of one good buck per year. I'm not sure there is anywhere in Texas that can support a harvest rate of four bucks over two seasons on just 56 acres.

But with hunting and the "me" mentality now being what it is, I can easily see hunters doing their best to tag out every season on as little as 10 acres, so long as their neighbors provide the habitat.

It seems obvious the rule of them should be, how many deer could your property support in a natural setting if your neighbors high fenced you in.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Texas Dan] #6560290 11/27/16 12:36 PM
F
fadetoblack64 Offline
giddyup
giddyup
F
Nothing you can do about it. But I understand him saying youre killing too many deer for your acreage and fencing you out. 56 acres standing alone aint gonna support squat.......youre dependent on the neighbor for most of your killing. Good luck.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: fadetoblack64] #6560293 11/27/16 12:39 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: takewhatyoucan64
youre dependent on the neighbor for most of your killing. Good luck.

No question, buying small tracts to do just that is quickly becoming the trend.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560321 11/27/16 01:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
His property. He can do what he wants with it. I have a small LF place with different neighbors on 3 sides. There has been 1 doe taken off it this year. I sat there yesterday afternoon and had 6 does and an 8 point Buck at the feeder. I have seen as many as 4 Bucks at one time. Have not shot any.If any Buck is shot there it will be by my Grandson and it will only be one. I get along very well with the neighbors.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560378 11/27/16 02:01 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Doubt the half section is overrun with deer, he's pulling them too. Costly to HF on that size place. Good luck to both of you.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Texas Dan] #6560407 11/27/16 02:35 PM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: takewhatyoucan64
youre dependent on the neighbor for most of your killing. Good luck.

No question, buying small tracts to do just that is quickly becoming the trend.

Also why HFs are a trend

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560439 11/27/16 03:05 PM
R
Red Cloud Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Right or wrong if that was my 56 acres I would corn every road and open area on it heavy and keep the hunting to a bare min. before that high fence went up. Be very careful that you do not take too many bucks, you and your other neighbors could benefit from this.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Red Cloud] #6560450 11/27/16 03:21 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Red Cloud
Right or wrong if that was my 56 acres I would corn every road and open area on it heavy and keep the hunting to a bare min. before that high fence went up. Be very careful that you do not take too many bucks, you and your other neighbors could benefit from this.

I would go and talk to the neighbor and try to work it out between you both.
If he is seriously talking about the high fence then maybe it is time for the for sale sign if that is the main reason for owning the property.
Your 56 acres can't support the amount of harvest you are doing, and in fact you are hunting both your property and the neighbors by your kill numbers.
Maybe it's not too late to make amends.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560466 11/27/16 03:41 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: THawk_4
So January 2015, my aunt and uncle purchased 56 acres of prime hunting land in Hamilton, Tx. It was to be a family get-away to enjoy time spent together and hunt. The landowner they purchased the land from, still owns 320 acres or so on the southern border of the property. Everything was great last year. My cousin shot his first buck, a small nine point, and I shot my best to date, a 15 point. Relations between us and the former landowner were great.

Fast forward to this year, and my dad and uncle have both killed nice bucks, and my cousin's husband killed a doe. There are several more mature and past mature bucks, as well as a few that need to be culled out. Nobody hunts the 400 acre ranch to the North of us, or the however many acres ranch to The West of us.

Anyways, the second weekend of deer season, the landowner leases out his land (more power to him). He allows one of the hunters to set up a stand on the fence line, against a tree, less than 50 yds from our stand and feeder. The tree blocks said hunter's view of his property. All the hunter is able to see is down the fence line either way for 50 yds or so and our feeder and pond that our stand is on.

We sucked it up, bit our tongues, and went on. Then the hunter starts showing up at his stand after daylight, trims trees, sits for 30 min, then leaves on numerous occasions. He never has hunted in the evening. Around the 3rd week of the season, the LO starts doing work himself on the stand during prime hunting hours, knowing we're at the property and hunting that stand (he can see our ranch house from his house). Fast forward to last week, and he began putting up a high-game fence along the shared border, again, only working during prime hunting hours.

Today, my aunt and uncle stopped him as he was working, and just chatted him up. He brought up everything, and says we have shot too many deer, and that he has talked with all the neighbors, and he is going to high-fence us in. He goes on to name off names of family and friends, whom he has never met, stating that they have shot deer off our property, which is false. They proceeded to ask him where he got his information and why he didn't come talk to them about his "issue". He doesn't give them an answer. Fed up, my uncle offered to just sell the land back to him. He refused. My uncle then stated he would go talk to the other neighbors as well, and again, he said that wasn't necessary.

I'm fed up. My hunting season is done. bang

To be honest it sounds like you had a little gold mine going and your neighbors got tired of it. You took too many deer for that amount of acreage a blind on the fence-line and now have some ticked of neighbors. For your neighbors to respond that harshly and that fast tells it's own story. It would take a real problem neighbor for me to go to the extent of putting in a hi-fence. Let me also add that you mentioned the word cull on 56 low-fence acres and I have to ask are you serious?

Last edited by HWY_MAN; 11/27/16 03:46 PM.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560470 11/27/16 03:51 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
This thread reminds me of back a few years when someone posted the pictures of several trophy bucks he had taken over a couple of years and defended the fact that he was between two huge ranches that weren't being hunted.
Funny we don't see those posts any longer so maybe the high fence caught up with him as well?

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560492 11/27/16 04:13 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Yeh how dare someone hunt a small piece of land.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: skinnerback] #6560512 11/27/16 04:29 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: skinnerback
Yeh how dare someone over hunt a small piece of land.

Fixed it for ya!

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: HWY_MAN] #6560515 11/27/16 04:32 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
roflmao

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560517 11/27/16 04:34 PM
505ed Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Times are changing. My family owns quite a bit of land. We have one place that is 975 ac and to the south of that place a family bought a place that is 234 ac (I know we tried to buy it-but brought more than we were willing to pay)We have 612 ac that borders them on the west too. They are nice people, but They hunt that place as if it were 10,000 ac. They are out there almost every weekend starting dove season thru deer season..they fill numerous tags (one year they killed 9 deer) uncles, brothers, cousins all come out. We don't hunt our properties much.my nephews and I might hunt the land around that place two times a year because of the "Rambos" on that place. I cannot really hold it against the new land owners. I grew up with it and am spoiled to have the land resources available to me, but I understand the original landowners feelings in this topic.I also know why people in some small communities are "clickish"--because folks come in as new land Barrons- (overpay for small parcels of land) and expect to be part of the community 3 months out of the year.

Last edited by 505ed; 11/28/16 01:17 AM.
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560537 11/27/16 04:55 PM
B
BOONER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Why did the neighbor sell the 56 acres? My guess is to pay for the HF that was already planned.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: 505ed] #6560585 11/27/16 05:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: 505ed
Times are changing. My family owns quite a bit of land. We have one place that is 975 ac and to the south of that place a family bought a place that is 234 ac (I know we tried to buy it-but brought more than we were willing to pay)We have 612 ac that borders them on the west too. They are nice people, but They hunt that place as if it were 10,000 ac. They are out there almost every weekend starting dove season thru deer season..they fill numerous tags (one year they killed 9 deer) uncles, brothers, cousins all come out. We don't hunt our properties much.my nephews and I might hunt the land around that place two times a year because of the "Rambos" on that place. I cannot really hold it against the new land owners. I grew up with it and am spoiled to have resources, but I understand the original landowners feelings in this topic.I also know why people in some small communities are "clickish"--because folks come in as new land Barrons- (overpay for small parcels of land) and expect to be part of the community 3 months out of the year.

Now that was a mouth full, but spot on.

These discussions keep pointing to the relative ease in killing deer with the aid of food plots and feeders. This past weekend I heard two feeders go off on an adjacent track that could not be more than 25 acres of deer holding habitat. Without a feeder to pull deer from adjacent properties, such small tracts would be far less attractive for hunting.

The problem didn't exist before the days of food plots and feeders when it was necessary to actually "hunt" deer in order to fill an ice chest. Nowadays, you can lease the right 10 acre pasture, put a feeder near each fence, and tag out with relative ease.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: BOONER] #6560594 11/27/16 05:56 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: BOONER
Why did the neighbor sell the 56 acres? My guess is to pay for the HF that was already planned.

Could be. Either that or he is not very smart. Gotta know what's coming when you sell 56 acres in Hamilton.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560618 11/27/16 06:20 PM
P
passthru Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
We just bought 195 acres. One side is a large tract of land, sizeable wheat fields and not hunted. The other side 1200 acres with 7 hunters I believe. Locals have told us they shoot anything that moves. We are going with archery only and hope to provide enough feed and good habitat to draw what we need in. Not everyone has the money to spend on a large tract. But they need to realize small tracts don't grow and hold large numbers of deer. That's why I intend to keep a deer lease so I can draw all the blood I want and not over hunt the 195.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6560651 11/27/16 06:50 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Hamiltons not that sought after as before...

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: THawk_4] #6561072 11/28/16 12:34 AM
H
Halfadozen Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Hey THawk - don't go away so quick - there is actually good opinion and perspective here. Noticed you deleted your original post. Hope it works out for all involved.

Freedom is a fragile thing ...Those who have known freedom, and then lost it, have never known it again.
-- Ronald Reagan

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6561804 11/28/16 02:04 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie

Could be. Either that or he is not very smart. Gotta know what's coming when you sell 56 acres in Hamilton.

But the OP stated the landowner and the OP's family are (were) tight. Sounds to me like the use of said 56 acres increased well above what was intended or expected. Surely the man didn't sell 56 acres to his friends with the understanding that they, their kids, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and friends would all be hunting every weekend. And trying to fill their tags.

Discussing habitat, management and harvest strategies with the larger landowners around you, BEFORE hunting season, typically prevents these scenarios. And whether or not the adjoining ranches are hunted or not is irrelevant. You're killing someone else's deer on 56 acres. Kill a buck here, a doe there and you'll be fine. Do what you and your family have done and get fenced out. In your case, that fence makes for a good neighbor.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: fouzman] #6561819 11/28/16 02:16 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: fouzman

But the OP stated the landowner and the OP's family are (were) tight. Sounds to me like the use of said 56 acres increased well above what was intended or expected. Surely the man didn't sell 56 acres to his friends with the understanding that they, their kids, cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews and friends would all be hunting every weekend. And trying to fill their tags.

Discussing habitat, management and harvest strategies with the larger landowners around you, BEFORE hunting season, typically prevents these scenarios. And whether or not the adjoining ranches are hunted or not is irrelevant. You're killing someone else's deer on 56 acres. Kill a buck here, a doe there and you'll be fine. Do what you and your family have done and get fenced out. In your case, that fence makes for a good neighbor.

You can sell with what you think is an "understanding", but it doesn't mean anything. When you sell, you sell. The person you sell it to can sell it the next day. Or next year. If you have any sort of expectation for a tract's continued use a certain way, you should never sell it. Period. Any landowner should know that.

Using a HF as a "neighbor management tool" is not an ideal solution - even for the one putting up the fence on one side. It affects the one putting up the fence just like the one being "fenced out". The effects all depend on the particular tracts involved. All it does is stop deer travel/movement along one side of a property. Which kinda sucks. In many cases it's not a solution at all.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Crazy Landowner Neighbor equals end of season [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6561839 11/28/16 02:29 PM
fouzman Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker

Using a HF as a "neighbor management tool" is not an ideal solution - even for the one putting up the fence on one side.

You're right but, in this instance, it would seem to be the landowner's only solution. The OP doesn't sound like he or his family are going to adjust their practices. "Some that need to be culled out"?

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide