Print Thread
Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build #6556657 11/24/16 02:48 AM
B
BobG Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
B
I sold a Tikka T3 about a year ago, which I was planning to do a semi-custom build with, but I just HAD to have something else at the time... bang

Anyway... I was looking to buy another stainless 308 Tikka T3, but want to put it in a Manners T4A stock, replace the barrel, put some decent bottom metal on, add an extended magazine, and thread the bolt.

I know that many of you have T3's that range from out of the box to full custom builds. For those of you who have done semi-custom builds, is this something that makes sense financially? Having to buy the gun, buying all of the replacement parts, and having someone do all of the work....or is it a smarter move to do a full custom build through a maker?

New territory for me here, so share away!

Gravley Custom Woodwork: Household Furniture, Custom Cabinetry and much more!

Hunters, Fisherman and other liars gather here.
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556673 11/24/16 02:55 AM
U
Upland007 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
I would like to know this also. I have been debating on having a custom .308 built for about 2 months.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556697 11/24/16 03:12 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
My rifles are a colletion of parts. Parts that I like. The exact same brands and models of parts used on "full custom builds", except the actions. Great barrels, CDI or Badger Ordinance bottom metal, Manners or McMillian stocks, A.I. mags. Only difference is that I didn't spend $1000-$2000 on the action. Instead I spent $550 on two Tikkas, and $450 on a Rem 700.

Those actions house the trigger, take a cartridge out of the mag, chamber it, lock it, shoot it, eject it, repeat.

The two Tikkas leave me nothing to complain about, after thousands of rounds. One just got a barrel replaced. Thats like the brand new truck you bought, just got a new set of tires, and a full service, after 50,000 miles.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556699 11/24/16 03:13 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Go to the Trading Post part of this site and then the Firearms section. Look for the post fron Chad about semi custom rifles, custom loads and 1 on 1 instruction all rolled into one package, you will not find a better package than this. P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556741 11/24/16 03:40 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
What I did...as a 'newbie', I bought a Rem 700 ADL on sale for $325, out of 8 different factory loads it shot just over an inch with green/yellow box Remington's. Replaced the trigger w/ a Timney, full aluminum chasis stock from Hogue (cheap and not the best) and had local smith true the action and lap the barrel....now about $850 invested...took the gun to Chad (Custom Reloads of Dallas) and he built loads that shoot 1/2 MOA, (for him, I'm still learning but have shot .28 in 3 shots....best 5 shot group is .74). I have really liked taking a stock rifle and being 'involved' in transforming it into a real shooter...but maybe that's just me.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556744 11/24/16 03:46 AM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Here's how I look at it. A Tikka T3 runs about $450 (blued) to $550 ish (stainless). They shoot good out of the box. But unscrew the factory barrel and chamber up a custom barrel for about $800-$900 (barrel and gunsmithing), and I'll guarantee less than 1/2 moa accuracy! A full custom rifle can not touch those kind of results for that price.

IMO, a Tikka rifle action based off of a build is a great start. They have a great trigger (tuneable by a gunsmith), decent stock, decent bottom metal, and with a heavier barrel, can easily shoot sub 1/2 moa with a tuned load. I have completed multiple rifles that shoot sub 1/2 moa.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6549098/Re:_Custom_Tikka_Rifle_build-_#top

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556745 11/24/16 03:46 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: BobG
I sold a Tikka T3 about a year ago, which I was planning to do a semi-custom build with, but I just HAD to have something else at the time... bang

Anyway... I was looking to buy another stainless 308 Tikka T3, but want to put it in a Manners T4A stock, replace the barrel, put some decent bottom metal on, add an extended magazine, and thread the bolt.

I know that many of you have T3's that range from out of the box to full custom builds. For those of you who have done semi-custom builds, is this something that makes sense financially? Having to buy the gun, buying all of the replacement parts, and having someone do all of the work....or is it a smarter move to do a full custom build through a maker?

New territory for me here, so share away!

I've done both and very much in line with you

Unless you go with a big name in custom rifles and you end up selling , you will lose some. There are many small time gunsmiths that can build a gun that will outshoot some big names. Some are gunsmiths with skills and some are gun plumbers that use fancy marketing to hook you.

You yourself can price out most things, just plan on the custom action costing twice as much as a factory or redone factory action.

My tikka build shot better than my stiller build if that helps. They weren't quite apples to apples but close

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556761 11/24/16 04:07 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Financially I think it always makes sense to buy a factory gun and use the action for the custom build. Personally, I could never justify spending all that money for a custom action. I love Tikka and Savage actions, they are great to build off.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: Gone to Texas] #6556777 11/24/16 04:20 AM
M
MacDaddy21 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: Gone to Texas
Financially I think it always makes sense to buy a factory gun and use the action for the custom build. Personally, I could never justify spending all that money for a custom action. I love Tikka and Savage actions, they are great to build off.

Agree with this. I've been very happy with my r700 semi custom and would like to add a Tikka semi-custom to the collection in a few years.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556790 11/24/16 04:27 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Some of the best gun-related $ Ive spent was to send a Rem700 action to Krieger for a basic truing and installation of barrel. Most accurate gun I own.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6556843 11/24/16 06:23 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Since you are in the DFW area I highly recommend you spend a day shooting with FiremanJG at his class north of McKinney -- even if you don't plan on shooting long range you will walk away being a better shot at traditional shooting distances PLUS you will learn a whole lot about rifles and builds (he's also a helluva good guy). With his guidance I have completed 3 semi customs based on tikkas. He and Chad have quite a bit of experience building off tikka actions and Chad is dead on about taking a 1 MOA tikka out of the box to one that is sub 1/2 moa (if not better) given the right gunsmith screws it all together. To maximize this potential you'll need to handload or get custom ammo (Chad can hook you up)

From a financial standpoint, here are some ballpark numbers:

At minimum you will need action, custom barrel, and gunsmith

Tikka T3 for donor action -- new for $498 on http://www.eurooptic.com
Barrel (bartlein, Brux, krieger etc) -- $340 on http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=88_89
Gunsmithing - $300-500

Upgrade to after market stock, bottom metal and magazine?
McMillan A3 (in inventory) - $550 https://mcmillanusa.com/product/6205-a3-tikka-t3/ or Game Scout (inlet ready in stock https://mcmillanusa.com/product/game-scout-custom-inlet/
CDI bottom metal - $ 209 http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/tikka-t3-short-action-dbm/
AI Magazine - $75 http://www.cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/accuracy-international-5-round-308-aics-magazine/
(Personally I'd buy the tikka ctr bottom metal and trg22 magazines off eBay if you can find them)

Add a pic rail, upgraded bolt shroud, custom bolt knob? Check out glades armory, atlasworx

TIKKA T3 action 280 Ackley Improved -- shoots 1/8 MOA
Bartlein 5r barrel 3b contour finished at 25" spiral fluted by horizon firearms
McMillan Game Scout
CDI bottom metal
Mountain Tactical Gen2 20 MOA pic rail
Atlasworks bolt shroud and knob

TIKKA CTR T3x action in 6.5 Creedmoor -- shoots about 1/4 MOA
Bartlein 5r barrel Rem Varm contour 26"
McMillan A3
Factory CTR bottom metal and trg22 magazine
Glades armory bolt knob

TIKKA CTR T3 .308 -- shoots 1/8 moa
Factory barrel
McMillan A3 Edge fill
Factory bottom metal
Cerakoted multicam black

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: P_102] #6556990 11/24/16 01:29 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: P_102
What I did...as a 'newbie', I bought a Rem 700 ADL on sale for $325, out of 8 different factory loads it shot just over an inch with green/yellow box Remington's. Replaced the trigger w/ a Timney, full aluminum chasis stock from Hogue (cheap and not the best) and had local smith true the action and lap the barrel....now about $850 invested...took the gun to Chad (Custom Reloads of Dallas) and he built loads that shoot 1/2 MOA, (for him, I'm still learning but have shot .28 in 3 shots....best 5 shot group is .74). I have really liked taking a stock rifle and being 'involved' in transforming it into a real shooter...but maybe that's just me.
or you could buy a Savage, buy shelf ammo and achieve the same results, I have pic of savage .308 150gr rem coreloct .256 four shots

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6557086 11/24/16 03:16 PM
T
TexFlip Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
For the cost of a custom action; you can build a semi-custom on a Rem, Savage, Tikka or Win. The decision was easy for me.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: colt45-90] #6557161 11/24/16 03:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: colt45
Originally Posted By: P_102
or you could buy a Savage, buy shelf ammo and achieve the same results, I have pic of savage .308 150gr rem coreloct .256 four shots

Sussssh .256 four shots?....I did same with a remmy but will raise you plus one to 5 shots smile

We got lucky and didn't get guns built on Friday. If every savage, remmy, tika etc did that we wouldn't have custom makers and aftermarket barrels. I will say machining tolarences have gotten really good over the last decade on production rifles and sub MOA production rifle are become more the norm then the one offs. Same goes with anmmo mfg's.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6557203 11/24/16 04:05 PM
Cattleman Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Buy a Tikka sell the stock and bottom metal for 75-$100 . Watch the classifieds on all the forums especially Snipers hide you can usually find a used stock with bottom metal included for way cheaper than new. Order a good cut rifled barrel and find a good gunsmith to do the work and you won't regret using a Tikka action. I am more than happy with mine. Now to start on a lighter weight sporter type rifle. This is what I did with a lefty Tikka action it turned out very well .

Last edited by Cattleman; 11/24/16 06:53 PM.
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: Cattleman] #6557282 11/24/16 05:08 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Originally Posted By: Cattleman
Buy a Tikka sell the stock and bottom metal for 75-$100 . Watch the classifieds on all the forums especially Snipers hide you can usually find a used stock with bottom metal included for way cheaper than new. Order a good cut rifled barrel and find a good gunsmith to do the work and you won't regret using a Tikka action. I am more than happy with mine. Now to start on a lighter weight sporter type rifle. This is what I did with a lefty Tikka action it turn out very well .

Nice rig and good advice here!

I just bought a used Tikka 7mm-08 Stainless steel and I'm going to do the same. Shoot the barrel out and hunt for an aftermarket stock. I just cleaned the rifle and I can't believe how smooth the action is every time I run the bolt.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6557301 11/24/16 05:32 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I'll bite and be different. I have custom actions and if I was going to build something tomorrow, I'd have another. From a return when selling you'll never get close to your money back on a factory action gun. Because there are guys like me out there that will never pay over 1500 for a gun that has a factory action but would almost pay double that for a custom action.

They are typically stouter and will shoot better. It might not be enough that you'd not notice but it's there and probably won't matter on a hunting gun.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: Judd] #6557331 11/24/16 05:49 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Says the bench-tester that measures groups in thousandths at 300 yards, and shows up to the range with pinwheels. grin

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6558188 11/25/16 03:11 PM
C
Cool Mo D Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
C
I guess I'm just old-fashioned, but I have several rifles built on '98 Mauser actions. They aren't tack drivers, but they get the job done at 500.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6560463 11/27/16 03:38 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: BobG

I know that many of you have T3's that range from out of the box to full custom builds. For those of you who have done semi-custom builds, is this something that makes sense financially?

Probably not financially if you are talking resell or having it significantly outperform a factory rifle but this is a hobby and some people really enjoy the building process and having something unique. There are so many affordable factory rifles now that will hang with expensive customs.

Last edited by scottfromdallas; 11/27/16 03:42 PM. Reason: Reread original post.

Re: Semi-Custom Build vs Full Custom Build [Re: BobG] #6560526 11/27/16 04:42 PM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Another example of the Tikka route with a new barrel. I think this is the best bang for your buck vs. a full custom action. Note the group is with factory ammo, I've got a ~ .75 group at 300 yds with my hand loads.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide