Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Average lease cost [Re: Roll-Tide] #6558534 11/25/16 09:24 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I'm about to get hammered and called names, but.

I pay about 30 bucks an acre. Small place, about 150 acres, wooded with a cabin. Near Athens only about 70 miles from my house. I see deer every hunt, covered up with hogs. Very nice property.

150 wooded acres feels like 500.

Two hunters. Even though I'm really the only one who goes.

Small places close to big towns with actual huntable populations are worth their weight in gold.

I have 75 acres that I own 45 minutes from Houston that has great deer, hog, ducks, and fishing. I think if I put it up for lease at $3000/year, I'd have to wade through offers. It'd probably bid up too. I've gotten unsolicited offers of $2500 for deer season only.

I won't though. Just saying. Some places a price/acre makes sense, and some places you're paying a convenience fee more than anything.

Re: Average lease cost [Re: Buddy] #6558766 11/26/16 01:25 AM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: Buddy
I help the person that owns the land with his cows, hay, and fencing in exchange for hunting and camping. I have been very fortunate to have the setup I do, small cabin to stay in and good friendship. It is 80 miles from the front door to the lease and the piece and quiet are worth all the work I do, game is a bonus.

I also went to Mesquite High school and live in the area.

That is the good old school way, good for you. I remember it used to all be that way around here.

I hunt my own land, and have people ask every year to lease it. I can't grasp the fact that they want to pile a hunter to every 50-60 acres. I was on a lease with some friends a few years back in Throckmorton Co. mostly just to be able to hang out and have fun with long time friends I rarely would ever see. We paid $10.00/Acre, and that included a house and utilities. It did have decent deer and seemed worth it. We kept one hunter to every 300 acres. There were 9 of us.

Re: Average lease cost [Re: jskin] #6558769 11/26/16 01:26 AM
J
jt402 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
Better to be lucky than good. Daughter is a realtor. A fellow contacted her about listing a small ranch with a lodge in Baylor County. After looking it over she suggested that she was interestedin purchasing it herself. She and her husband and a partner purchased the place. Cattle removed and after about five years, game abounds. Deer, turkey, hogs, dove, quail, and ducks plus fishing. I get to go there often.

Youngest daughter married a young man whose grandfather left him four sections of ranch land. His father owns more than that although much is farm land. The farm land has shelter belts and waterways that hold game. Same game as above plus some mule deer.

I get to hunt all the above and enjoy every minute of it.

I haven't had a lease in about twenty years. Cousin and I had a family lease for a good number of years on a small ranch on the Lampasas River. Since we were week end hunters, the owner was day hunting the place mid week. I finally caught him. We moved our operation farther west and leased a 1700 acre pasture out of a twenty something section ranch for $4000 for eight huners, year round on a handshake deal with a long time friend. Not bad. First year went fine. We moved two trailers, our ice house, and all the good junk one needs at the lease. Second year, he decided we needed 17 hunters at $1500 per gun for our pasture. Not enough game for that many hunters. Two for two greedy land owners. I told the owner to stuff it. I had enough family
and professional contacts to fill all the tags and then some.

I know some good owners. Several friends have them. They do exist and most are good folks. A friend and I had a small ranch leased near Gatesville years ago. The owner ask that he be able to check and feed cattle on Wednesdays. Easy enough to live with.

Re: Average lease cost [Re: LandPirate] #6558954 11/26/16 04:24 AM
S
ScottA Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
And I'll add an observation. I personally know a lot of guys that don't hunt anymore because they say it's too expensive. Yet they drive new(er) Diesel trucks. Mind you, they don't tow or haul anything. The trucks are pavement princesses that only seem to exist for vanity reasons. Those trucks cost $800/month and sometimes more. A $3000/year is only $250/month. Maybe put your vanity in check, get a little less truck and go enjoy the outdoors.

So what if these guys would rather have a diesel truck than a deer lease? We all have to make choices with our money and, therefore, we all must prioritize. It's all about what is important to you.

If you want something done, tell a Texan its impossible
Re: Average lease cost [Re: jskin] #6558959 11/26/16 04:31 AM
R
RedRaider13 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I hunt a 1000acre ranch with 3 other guys. Low hunting pressure. Year round access. Full rights to all game species. (Dove, quail, turkey, hogs, deer) No exotics on ranch. We usually all have opportunities at bucks in the 140-150 inch range every year. Place has electricity and water hookups for travel trailers. We pay $1000 each plus $75 for electricity.
Hope that helps.

Re: Average lease cost [Re: ScottA] #6559046 11/26/16 11:30 AM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: ScottA
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
And I'll add an observation. I personally know a lot of guys that don't hunt anymore because they say it's too expensive. Yet they drive new(er) Diesel trucks. Mind you, they don't tow or haul anything. The trucks are pavement princesses that only seem to exist for vanity reasons. Those trucks cost $800/month and sometimes more. A $3000/year is only $250/month. Maybe put your vanity in check, get a little less truck and go enjoy the outdoors.

So what if these guys would rather have a diesel truck than a deer lease? We all have to make choices with our money and, therefore, we all must prioritize. It's all about what is important to you.

The point is, they are making their choice but conveniently leaving it out of the equation when complaining about how it's too expensive to get a hunting lease.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Average lease cost [Re: jskin] #6559105 11/26/16 01:22 PM
lawndart956 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
I'm going to let you in on the secret to a low dollar lease. Find a good woman that when you marry her you get unrestricted access to 500 acres in Wheeler county. Make sure it has a house in town and a cabin at one of the farms complete with barns and tractors and such. Then make it a family tradition to spend the week of thanksgiving there every year because you want to spend time with the family...and it just happens to be about the peak of the rut.

All joking aside I'm very lucky and have been on leases in the past that were no where near as good as this place. However having you mother in law be your LO brings its own set of challenges...

Re: Average lease cost [Re: jskin] #6559204 11/26/16 02:31 PM
T
Tatsun Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I can't tell you our per acre cost as I'm not sure what everyone else pays....but I am fortunate and blessed to be on an almost 800 acre lease just west and outside of Breckenridge and pay 500 per year for year round access...and that includes pretty much everything that's legal game.....a cabin..and best part is they had just acquired an extra 200 acres right before I came on that's on the ffar edge of property...and I pretty much have that entire track of 200 acres to myself.

Of course before I landed there I was paying g about 1500.00 year for about 276 acres with myself and 2 other hunters near mineral wells....boy am I glad I found the new lease I'm on now.....

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide