6239471 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6555878 - 11/23/16 12:24 PM Handgun considerations
clu Online   content
Light Foot

Loc: La Grange
I'm finally going to buy a 9mm pistol. I've shot revolvers before but have never shot a semi-automatic pistol so my knowledge of them is limited.

Other than the "feel" of the pistol, can anyone give their thoughts on:

Adjustable sights....are they important?

Single/Double action?

Barrel length? I would assume the longer the more accurate.

Any other aspect that might be important.

Looking to stay between $400-$500 but will go lower if there is a good recommendation below this budget. I intend to get my CHL one day but this is primarily for night stand/vehicle.

Any info will be appreciated.

#6555895 - 11/23/16 12:36 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Dalee7892 Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Denton County
I cannot advise what is best for you, each of us have different ideas. SA vs. DA that is what you would be comfortable with, small frame vs. large frame, amount of rounds, safety or no safety, conceal or open carry, the list can go on for ever.
The name brand is also open, get one the feels good in your hand and that you are comfortable with the mechanics of it.

#6555912 - 11/23/16 12:43 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
One thing for revolver shooters to look out for with autoloaders is that some revolver shooters develop a habit of crossing the thumb over, behind the thumb of strong hand.

On an autoloader, this will put the knuckle of your thumb on the off hand in the path of the slide, when it comes back. - A nasty cut will result. - I stick my off-thumb straight up to avoid this problem, with an autoloader.

There will be a lot to get used to. Make sure the autoloader is unloaded, then put in some time going through the motions of operating the safety, the slide release, the magazine catch, etc.. Dry-fire it a bit to get used to the trigger.

#6555923 - 11/23/16 12:50 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Barcelona Rick Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: East Texas
I would suggest a Glock 19...(the new Ruger American looks pretty good too). Good luck and practice until you are very comfortable with function and reliability.

rick

#6555925 - 11/23/16 12:53 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Adjustable sights....are they important?

Good for target shooting. Not so much for a carry gun. Remember that most defense situations occur inside 7 feet. If you need target sights at that distance, you need more instinctive practice. Also remember that some target sights are bulky and can hang when drawing the gun from the holster.

Single/Double action?

Depends on your personal preferences. For a carry pistol, I prefer a double action. For pure accuracy and range fun, I really enjoy my 1911 style single action pistols.

Barrel length? I would assume the longer the more accurate.

Correct. But if you are looking to carry concealed, anything over 4" becomes difficult.

Any other aspect that might be important.

FIT THE GUN TO YOUR HAND. I love Glocks. My son hates them. Handle everything in the store, and shoot as many as you can. Local indoor ranges usually have rentals available. Spend a bit of money and shoot different styles and calibers as well.

#6555945 - 11/23/16 01:16 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
BigPig Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Forney, Tx
I highly recommend the Sig P320 Carry. It gives the grip on the full size with a 4 inch barrel. Plenty long enough to hit coke cans at 25 yards but still short enough to be easy to carry/conceal. Has a DAO trigger, which I believe is better that the trigger in a Glock, but far behind the trigger in a 1911. But then you are pretty much talking 2 very different guns.

One thing I ask a lot of people, do you prefer a thumb safety or no safety?
I prefer no safeties. I don't trains with them and I don't like them. That's why I never consider a 1911 as a carry/conceal gun.

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
Enjoy it while you can. One day you might be complaining about NOT getting random pop-ups in the morning. grin

#6555967 - 11/23/16 01:39 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: BigPig]
Tracker

Originally Posted By: BigPig

One thing I ask a lot of people, do you prefer a thumb safety or no safety?
I prefer no safeties. I don't trains with them and I don't like them. That's why I never consider a 1911 as a carry/conceal gun.

Same here. And a VERY good point. up

#6556045 - 11/23/16 02:36 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Just Nate Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
Go feel the gun and see what fits your hand and allows for you to have a good sight picture.

After that it is really hard for anyone but you to decide. Feel and sight picture are the most important aspects of a handgun. Glock, Smith and Wesson, HK, Ruger, Beretta and, Sig all make a hand gun that will get close to your price point. I would go and just see which fits you best. My only advice would be to get a full size gun not a tiny gun. Full size guns are better to learn with.

#6556057 - 11/23/16 02:43 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: Just Nate]
clu Online   content
Light Foot

Originally Posted By: Just Nate
Go feel the gun and see what fits your hand and allows for you to have a good sight picture.

After that it is really hard for anyone but you to decide. Feel and sight picture are the most important aspects of a handgun. Glock, Smith and Wesson, HK, Ruger, Beretta and, Sig all make a hand gun that will get close to your price point. I would go and just see which fits you best. My only advice would be to get a full size gun not a tiny gun. Full size guns are better to learn with.

Definitely would be a full size. I have bigger hands and want to feel like I'm holding something when I shoot.

#6556060 - 11/23/16 02:45 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: BigPig]
clu Online   content
Light Foot

BigPig....can you elaborate on the no safety a little bit. If there is no safety and the gun is accidentally dropped, is there danger of it firing? Don't mean to sound ignorant but I'm really not all that familiar with semis.

#6556070 - 11/23/16 02:52 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Tracker

No danger at all. The sear is locked until the trigger is pulled. I will advise that there have been negligent discharges when careless people put the gun back into the holster and get the trigger hung.

Here's just one example ..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7SWx3znXTI

And I will add that ANY gun is dangerous if handled improperly. Safety or not.

Edited by Creedmoor (11/23/16 02:55 PM)

#6556104 - 11/23/16 03:06 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
glb1955 Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Brazos County Texas
Clu

Even if there is not a de-cocking lever on a semi there will be safeties. The Glock (the weapon I have carried since 1986 and has been pretty well copied since their patent expired) has three safeties. The one external safety is the trigger safety. Put your finger on the trigger with any pressure and that safety is not longer engaged. There is also a drop safety (which will not allow the firing pin to go forward unless the trigger is pull to the rear. The third is the drop safety which will not allow the firing pin to travel forward until the trigger is pulled sufficiently that the trigger bar travels to the rear enough to allow the firing pin to travel forward once the trigger bar has engaged the connector and it does what it was designed to do - let the weapon fire.

I have seen a Glock, fully loaded and one in the chamber, thrown from a helicopter more than once and it did not fire. The only thing that broke was the plastic adjustable sight that Glock used to offer.

Hope that helps.
g

#6556108 - 11/23/16 03:08 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
glb1955 Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Brazos County Texas
I typed ahead of myself. the second safety is the firing pin safety... gee.

g

#6556109 - 11/23/16 03:08 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Tactical Cowboy Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Abilene
Go shoot as many as you can and pick the one you like best.

#6556118 - 11/23/16 03:12 PM Re: Handgun considerations [Re: clu]
Just Nate Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
If you have big hands feel the Glock 21, 45 auto is a great round.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide