Forum Stats
60473 Members
45 Forums
476077 Topics
6245182 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6555213 - 11/22/16 09:02 PM Get flagged for CCW?
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
I was reading an article about a John Filippidis who was a CCW holder and was pulled over by police in Maryland just because he had a CCW. Supposedly he was pulled over because his plates were scanned and it showed he was a ccw holder. Same thing I hear they do here as well to look for DWIs and what not. I have not heard of people getting pulled over because of a concealed carry but something else that was mentioned is that have such a license is a form of gun registry and that it it could hurt gun owners. Any thoughts?

#6555223 - 11/22/16 09:07 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
BOBO the Clown Online   content
decoy

Loc: Metroplex
Maryland elected a Governor that implemented a rain tax...

Actually outside of Baltimore it's God and guns country. Eastern shore is a hunting Mecca

#6555598 - 11/23/16 08:52 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

After obtaining NFA items I know I'm on the ATF's list, having a LTC is just adding to another list, not really of concern IMO.

#6555804 - 11/23/16 11:19 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
Marc in Bastrop Offline
Tracker

Loc: Bastrop County
I don't what happens in other states, but in Texas there are many cases of favoritism shown toward permit holders. Officers letting minor traffic infractions slide, after presentation of LTC.

One officer explained to me that he quickly knows that he not dealing a felon and that licensed people don't commit police shootings. Good manners and little respect don't hurt either.......

#6555868 - 11/23/16 12:18 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
rdhibbs Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Dumas TX
I see no way that they could tell that the driver had a LTC, even if the owner did. In the state of Texas law enforcement may only get a list of LTC holders in the county in case of an emergency and for the purpose of calling on them for help.

#6556826 - 11/23/16 11:26 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: rdhibbs]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Originally Posted By: rdhibbs
I see no way that they could tell that the driver had a LTC, even if the owner did. In the state of Texas law enforcement may only get a list of LTC holders in the county in case of an emergency and for the purpose of calling on them for help.

I was going on to FT. Hood and getting a pass. The enlisted man behind the desk asked me if I was carrying. Everything is on the computer, is it hard to imagine that they have a software that allows them to look at a license plate and pull up that info in real time?

#6556893 - 11/24/16 05:54 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
takewhatyoucan64 Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Sneaking Up On You
I will never understand people getting a LTC permit. JMO.

#6557019 - 11/24/16 08:04 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
MS1454 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Houston/Sealy
Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

I was going on to FT. Hood and getting a pass. The enlisted man behind the desk asked me if I was carrying. Everything is on the computer, is it hard to imagine that they have a software that allows them to look at a license plate and pull up that info in real time?

Yeah that's why I mentioned the DWI thing as it seems they can. Not sure if it's true though.

#6557931 - 11/24/16 10:29 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
LandPirate Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
In Texas LP records are through TXDOT. DL and LTC records are through DPS. It's not a simple procedure to determine if a registered owner of a car is an LTC. Yes, it can be done, but not something that is commonly done, nor is there any reason to stop someone simply because they're an LTC. What's the point? Pulling over a proven law abiding citizen? Then what? I doubt they're smuggling crack.

#6558149 - 11/25/16 08:51 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
poisonivie Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
Thank you, LP. Those are my thoughts exactly.

#6560088 - 11/26/16 09:40 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: rdhibbs]
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: TEXAS

I got pulled over the other day for failing to use a turn signal. W/in 1 minute of the LEO getting to my window dispatch comes back over the radio & says "LTC holder". They have that info. @ the push of a button.

#6560386 - 11/27/16 08:09 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: LFD2037]
LandPirate Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
Originally Posted By: LFD2037

I got pulled over the other day for failing to use a turn signal. W/in 1 minute of the LEO getting to my window dispatch comes back over the radio & says "LTC holder". They have that info. @ the push of a button.

Yeah, we have that super secret all knowing computer. We even know how many kids you have and how often you pick your nose.

#6561064 - 11/27/16 06:32 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: LFD2037]
Grizz Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Granbury, TX
Originally Posted By: LFD2037

That information is not attached to your license plate return, but it is attached to your driver's license. I can see some departments having their dispatch automatically run the DL of the registered owner of a vehicle on a traffic stop. I would guess it had to be something like that for him to get that information without your DL.

#6561936 - 11/28/16 09:19 AM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: MS1454]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Reminds me of the case n Ft Worth in February. A guy was open carryng, LEO asked for his carry permit, he refused to show it. Goes to jail. While in jail they find out he has no LTC. Charges got ramped up but were dropped by the DA because the initial request for identfication by the LEO violated the 4th ammendment. They can't stop and search just for the sake of stopping and searching. Even if some computer tells the LEO the owner of the vehicle is a LTC holder, stopping just for that reason would violate the 4th ammendmant.

The original version of Texas' "open carry" law had a provision for LEO's to randomly ask carriers for their LTC, Greg Abbot had it purged based on the 4th.

A. Einstein

#6562309 - 11/28/16 12:35 PM Re: Get flagged for CCW? [Re: Slow Drifter]
rexmitchell Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Slow Drifter
Reminds me of the case n Ft Worth in February. A guy was open carryng, LEO asked for his carry permit, he refused to show it. Goes to jail. While in jail they find out he has no LTC. Charges got ramped up but were dropped by the DA because the initial request for identfication by the LEO violated the 4th ammendment. They can't stop and search just for the sake of stopping and searching. Even if some computer tells the LEO the owner of the vehicle is a LTC holder, stopping just for that reason would violate the 4th ammendmant.

The original version of Texas' "open carry" law had a provision for LEO's to randomly ask carriers for their LTC, Greg Abbot had it purged based on the 4th.

I think you are incorrect. The law originally had an amendment tacked on that forbid officers asking someone open carrying for their license for no other reason. That was taken out and LEO's are allowed to ask you to provide identification just because you are open carrying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide