475406 Topics
6236751 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6554202 - 11/22/16 08:50 AM Hunting lease problem with neighbor
Chunky Monkey Offline
Pro Tracker

So I have this small place that I get to hunt for doing some work for the property owner. She doesn't live in Texas and the neighbor watches over his and her property to keep illegal hunters off of their property (that's another story but they're gone now). He let's me park on his property to walk to my property and we have had a good relationship so far. Well, I shot a doe Saturday morning and he brought his 4-wheeler over to help me get it out so that I wouldn't have to drag it. So, you can tell that he's a decent fella.

When I was getting ready to leave he said that I need to get another doe before Thanksgiving ends because that's when all the hunting will stop. I said that I have all of December to get my buck too. Then he said that there aren't many bucks (not true) and that I can't take one. I have a hunting agreement with the owner that gives me exclusive hunting rights to fill my tags if I should feel the need or desire. This guy could give me a lot of problems if things went "south". How do you think I should deal with this situation to keep the peace?

#6554222 - 11/22/16 08:58 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
FoxTrot Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: West
If you have an agreement with the LO, then there isn't much that he can do about it other than harass you and that would be a different story. If it were me, I would park elsewhere and continue on like normal. And when he said something again, I would kindly let him know that there is an agreement with the LO that he has no say so over.

Or, after a hunt this weekend, let him know you will see him again next weekend and see where the conversation goes from there. I would try really hard to keep the conversation cool.

#6554231 - 11/22/16 09:03 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
lunkerm Offline
Outdoorsman

you don't have anything to lose at this point.

While I always believe in being civil and polite, and not needlessly antagonizing anyone, you need to tell him plainly that your agreement is with the landowner, not him. I am in a position that requires me to tell people stuff that they don't want to hear on a regular basis. I've found that it works best to be as brief as possible- literally whittle down what you want to say to about 3 short sentences or less, say it and then SHUT UP. Don't get sucked into an argument.

Back to what do you have to lose- not much. if this guy is actually the de facto decision maker and he doesn't want you to shoot a buck, you're not going to get to. If the landowner is the decision maker, you'll soon have this guy out of the loop. But always be nice... nice and firm.

#6554237 - 11/22/16 09:04 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: FoxTrot]
lunkerm Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: FoxTrot
If you have an agreement with the LO, then there isn't much that he can do about it other than harass you and that would be a different story. If it were me, I would park elsewhere and continue on like normal. And when he said something again, I would kindly let him know that there is an agreement with the LO that he has no say so over.

Or, after a hunt this weekend, let him know you will see him again next weekend and see where the conversation goes from there. I would try really hard to keep the conversation cool.

Excellent advice. and never for any reason say the words "I'm sorry" or "I apologize" or act defensive.

#6554253 - 11/22/16 09:09 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Rustler Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Carrollton/ Young, Blanco coun...
If that agreement is in writing keep it with you, if it is a verbal / handshake agreement get it in writing.

#6554312 - 11/22/16 09:40 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

He smells like someone who is afraid you will kill "his" buck.

Spring, Texas

#6554541 - 11/22/16 12:17 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Texas Dan]
DPirates80 Offline
Woodsman

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Exactly, lol

#6554582 - 11/22/16 12:45 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Age N Score ? Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas
ninja Be nice and keep hunting. Get the agreement in writing and find a new place to park. elmer

#6554615 - 11/22/16 01:03 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Roll-Tide Online   content
Pro Tracker

First, why is it you park on his place and walk? Is there other place to park and walk in?

I have seen many people "help" that are just being nosey.

#6554623 - 11/22/16 01:06 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
cameron00 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Texas
Yeah, I'd get the agreement in writing and just be friendly, but unyielding.

You start getting hissy with a neighbor like that, you start finding your stuff destroyed.

#6554626 - 11/22/16 01:09 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Roll-Tide Online   content
Pro Tracker

Or shoot your buck and tell him you guess he was wrong, there are bucks out here.

If he gets pissy, you know where you stand.

#6554633 - 11/22/16 01:13 PM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Texas Dan]
Someone Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan

sounds to me like someone has some day hunters lined up and or someone on a short lease on property they do not own and have no rights to lease

I would be sure to take a video camera when you head out there after the holidays and see what you see......which will most likely be some people telling you to "get off their lease"

make sure you have WRITTEN permission as the others have stated and make sure to ask those other "leasers" who they "lease" from as they try and throw you off and get the name on video

#6557231 - 11/24/16 10:24 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
I have a buddy that is an absentee landowner. Im the caretaker and have hunting privileges. Neighbor is a d***head. He's tried the same stunts with me. Even destroying feeders. Called the G W, that worked for about 2 seasons, then another feeder destroyed. Ended up calling the Sheriff. Vandalism has stopped for now. Needless to say, we are not good buds...He knows that any more B S could put him in jail. Don't be a pushover. Sounds like hes got a big buck on camera that he doesn't want you to get.

#6557251 - 11/24/16 10:36 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Creedmoor Offline
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Originally Posted By: Chunky Monkey
This guy could give me a lot of problems if things went "south".

Care to elaborate on that a bit? What kind of "problems"?

#6557264 - 11/24/16 10:47 AM Re: Hunting lease problem with neighbor [Re: Chunky Monkey]
Erathkid Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Dollas,Taxes Bluff Dale Tx
Please elaborate popcorn

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide