Forums46
Topics537,765
Posts9,728,894
Members87,039
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting #6549216 11/18/16 03:34 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Here is a great video and explanation on expansion of lead bullets, specifically the Berger EOL and VLD-Hunting bullets. The part in the video most important to me is from 1:20 to 1:34. I see this happen most often with the Barnes solid copper bullets. After many years of loading solid copper bullets and many customers disappointed in their performance on game, many are going back to lead bullets, like the Berger hunting bullets or traditional lead bullets. The new EOL line of bullets from Berger so far has been a huge success with many hunters I load for. Game simply doesn't go far, and often drop in their tracks.

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLm95MX_oUzG_VxVqXVHEUMb5DbZXPTjm6&v=_8j-7D-bubQ[/video]

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549244 11/18/16 03:51 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I agree, never been happy with the on game performance I have gotten with monometal bullets. I do prefer a combo of expansion and retention though, big fan of bonded core or partitioned bullets.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549245 11/18/16 03:52 PM
C
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Yes, I also really like the bonded bullets. The Accubonds and Hornady Interbonds have done well, also.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549300 11/18/16 04:23 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I like Barnes in small bullets w/hot calibers(22-250,243,257wby, etc). 223 or 308 types not so much.

I shoot a lot of VLD's...hot and VLD bad things happen.

For moderate velocities I'm really liking the ABLR over the VLD, via on game performance

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549311 11/18/16 04:26 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I will say I have never shot mono metal out of something like a 22-250 or a 257 wby, I think they would be much better.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549316 11/18/16 04:31 PM
Bbear Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
+1 on the bonded bullets. I've tried the mono-metals and after losing two deer to complete pass-through shots at >200 yards I've gone to AB's and ABLR for just about everything I have. I will admit that I haven't tried the Bergers much. The one deer I shot with a Berger I lost one shoulder to the damage done by the bullet's expansion.

[IMG][/IMG]

Pay it forward - Kids are the future.

Rifles are similar to boats and young women...there's no end to how much money you can pour into them without making them any more useful.
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549342 11/18/16 04:48 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
All depends on the application.

Plain old cup and core bullets are hard to beat for deer sized game. (I have used them on deer for over 40 years and used them on my desert sheep hunt with absolute confidence.) Monometals have always worked well for me on larger animals. Many African PHs swear by them for their clients and some even require them for big plains game. I killed a Stone's sheep with a TSX and will have them in my rifle on an upcoming Dall sheep hunt, but only because grizzly was and is on the menu. But a great compromise is the Nosler AB or tried and true Partition. (Caveat: I am not an ultra LR hunter.)

The Internet will give all sorts of opinions on every bullet out there. The LR community has a love affair with Bergers, but you can probably find as many or more horror stories on them as for any other bullet.

See it all the time, but "dropping in their tracks" or "DRT" is just anecdotal talk when discussing bullet (or caliber) performance. An animal's reaction to the shot has way more to do with placement than any other factor. For example, the most reliable "DRT" shot on deer-sized game is the high shoulder shot. A sufficiently heavy lead bullet traveling fast enough will work well for that shot. OTOH, a ponderously heavy slow-moving lead bullet is not ideal for that shot, nor is a speedy small lead bullet. In smaller calibers a more stout bullet will almost always work better.

I have seen elk "DRT" hit with all different combinations of calibers and bullets. And go a little piece and die in short order with all different combinations.The only elk I saw escape was one shot with a 180 grain lead bullet from a .30-06 that hit the shoulder blade. Either a .300 using that bullet or the .30-06 using an AB, NP, or TSX would have probably filled the larder.

The important factors for bullet performance are achieving sufficient penetration and expansion. If those are met, the animal will die in short order with proper placement. Those factors should always be weighted considering game sought and caliber used.

There's no "one size fits all" answer when it comes to bullet discussion. All factors (caliber, weight, game sought, expected distances, etc.) must be known before even beginning the discussion.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549348 11/18/16 04:54 PM
C
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Yes, when you get the speeds up North of 3000 fps in the solids, it does help to increase the hydrostatic shock, but still not as much as a lead bullet would. But the bullet does hold together better. The only issue I have seen with the Barnes solids is a large increase in copper fouling which decreases the accuracy in very few rounds. I have seen accuracy fall off in as little as 15 rounds on some fast magnums with speeds 3200+ fps. After we cleaned it, accuracy came back and 15-20 rounds later accuracy was gone again.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: Nogalus Prairie] #6549383 11/18/16 05:36 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Nogalus Prairie
All depends on the application.

Plain old cup and core bullets are hard to beat for deer sized game. (I have used them on deer for over 40 years and used them on my desert sheep hunt with absolute confidence.) Monometals have always worked well for me on larger animals. Many African PHs swear by them for their clients and some even require them for big plains game. I killed a Stone's sheep with a TSX and will have them in my rifle on an upcoming Dall sheep hunt, but only because grizzly was and is on the menu. But a great compromise is the Nosler AB or tried and true Partition. (Caveat: I am not an ultra LR hunter.)

The Internet will give all sorts of opinions on every bullet out there. The LR community has a love affair with Bergers, but you can probably find as many or more horror stories on them as for any other bullet.

See it all the time, but "dropping in their tracks" or "DRT" is just anecdotal talk when discussing bullet (or caliber) performance. An animal's reaction to the shot has way more to do with placement than any other factor. For example, the most reliable "DRT" shot on deer-sized game is the high shoulder shot. A sufficiently heavy lead bullet traveling fast enough will work well for that shot. OTOH, a ponderously heavy slow-moving lead bullet is not ideal for that shot, nor is a speedy small lead bullet. In smaller calibers a more stout bullet will almost always work better.

I have seen elk "DRT" hit with all different combinations of calibers and bullets. And go a little piece and die in short order with all different combinations.The only elk I saw escape was one shot with a 180 grain lead bullet from a .30-06 that hit the shoulder blade. Either a .300 using that bullet or the .30-06 using an AB, NP, or TSX would have probably filled the larder.

The important factors for bullet performance are achieving sufficient penetration and expansion. If those are met, the animal will die in short order with proper placement. Those factors should always be weighted considering game sought and caliber used.

There's no "one size fits all" answer when it comes to bullet discussion. All factors (caliber, weight, game sought, expected distances, etc.) must be known before even beginning the discussion.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well said. My position as well.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549409 11/18/16 05:47 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
Yes, when you get the speeds up North of 3000 fps in the solids, it does help to increase the hydrostatic shock, but still not as much as a lead bullet would. But the bullet does hold together better. The only issue I have seen with the Barnes solids is a large increase in copper fouling which decreases the accuracy in very few rounds. I have seen accuracy fall off in as little as 15 rounds on some fast magnums with speeds 3200+ fps. After we cleaned it, accuracy came back and 15-20 rounds later accuracy was gone again.

"15-20 rounds" (before needing to clean) would equate to 5-7 hunting seasons for a lot of folks. Cleaning your rifles bore seems a small price to pay IF the bullet suits your needs in other areas.

I use both types of bullets and have had good success with each. 'Application' is the key.

I like Berger bullets...but I don't have extensive experience with them. Hard to watch a commercial claiming they are THE bullet anywhere from 50 yds. on out to infinity. wink

Sheeeshhh....the only thing not claimed....was that they give you better gas mileage too.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549457 11/18/16 06:12 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
OK just watched the video. It's a commercial is all. "Their bullet is the only one that will penetrate 3-5" and then fragment", "competitors' bullets ALL are designed to pass through without expanding", etc., etc....

Bunch of untruths and oversimplifications. Nothing of real value in it at all.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549490 11/18/16 06:36 PM
A
Ag Hunter 78 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
A
I am a TTSX convert. I typically used to shoot the Coreloks and occasionally SSTs and Nosler partitions, depending on the caliber. I am patient and wait for shots of 100 yards or less and I go for the upper neck. Been lucky I guess and always had DRT results. I am not into tracking, especially if it's a late afternoon shot. On those occasions where it was over 100, I went for a more-heart-than-lung shot that also made sure I hit at least one shoulder to minimize running. Over 200 yards I held off and it was the deer's lucky day. (Hog or coyote, of course I'll take a long shot!)

The TTSXs are very accurate in my rifles and have done the job every time. I am getting older so I have settled on shots to the lower neck---more area and less chance of a miss if the deer starts to move right when I squeeze off. The good thing is that the TTSX do a lot less meat damage than lead bullets, especially the SSTs. So for my purposes and circumstances, I prefer the copper. Now I need to save my pennies to get a Cooper to shoot the copper.

No prayer in school....What's next, no thinking in church?
It's not just about pie in the sky when you die. It's also about steak on your plate while you wait!
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549511 11/18/16 06:47 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I guess we all want something different. A tsx would be my absolute last choice for a neck shooting bullet, shooting in the neck I want something that is going to disrupt... after all you shoot them in the neck because there isn't much meat there.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549561 11/18/16 07:30 PM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Good stuff. I love the vlds

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: RedSnake] #6549599 11/18/16 07:54 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Good stuff. I love the vlds

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549606 11/18/16 07:58 PM
R
Ranch Dog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Yeah, I really like lead bullets... real lead bullets! Cast my own bullet for everything that I shoot, 28 different cartridges in 43 different firearms.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549608 11/18/16 07:59 PM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
I'd like to try some at some point.

I mistakenly switched from Hornady's 140g BTSP to the 140g SST in my .270 Win. While the SST's are accurate and consistent, their terminal performance at short distance (under 200 yards) has been poor. In each instance the SST killed the animal and it was recovered, but there were no, or very small exit wounds, and very little blood spillage.

Conversely, the BTSP would open up, leave gaping exit wounds and spill lots of blood, and do it at all distances, near and far.

If I don't find something else that I like, I'll be going back with the BTSP.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549666 11/18/16 08:43 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I liked the commercial.

I've never shot the VLD so I have no opinion. For deer sized animals anything will work. Any modern bullet will do a fine job.

I do like the 45 grain TSX in my 22-250 over 37.5 of RL-15. Everything I've shot with it has gone down like it was hit by lightning. I did have one come apart on a spike opening weekend. He was neck shot at 150yds and the spine was blown in half with a thumb sized hole and exited. He never knew what hit him. However a small peice ran down the spine and stopped 8" down the backstrap. It cost me some meat.
I think the TSX is great as long as it's a light bullet going plenty fast. For everything else lead is king.

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549840 11/19/16 12:05 AM
J
JCB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Ok I am a bit of a bullet nerd so I will give my 2 cents on this.

First off I had to laugh at that commercial! I understand the concept behind the bullet fragmenting magically once it senses the vitals of an animal therefore dumping all its energy inside the animal. I have always said that the more energy you dump in an animal the better but I want an exit also. Blood trails are easier to follow when they bleed from 2 holes instead of 1. On the other hand that fragmentation completely goes against everything I have ever wanted in a medium to large game bullet which is weight retention along with controlled expansion. Save the fragmenting bullets for varmints and tactical situations and give me a bonded bullet any day of the week!

Next up is the mono metals like the TSX. I have a real hatred for them when it comes to deer and pigs. Had a couple of very bad experiences with them on pigs and all the TSX fan boys decided I must be doing something wrong because there was no way their beloved TSX could fail in any way shape or form. I was told I must not have put the shot in the right spot......I posted pics of shot placement on one pig that came back to life after being hit by a TSX and even with indisputable proof of great shot placement I was still told I didn't hit him in the right spot hammer. I was also told I have to "run them fast and light for caliber". Well maybe they should put that on their box as some sort of warning label or just not sell them at all. roflmao And here is some more earth shattering news for the "fast and light" crowd.......after a few hundred yards that bullet might not be going fast enough anymore to meet the apparent required criteria for proper on game performance. I chose to use a bullet that doesn't box me in on what I can and cant do with a certain bullet......that's why I don't like the TSX and will never understand those that choose them for thin to medium skin animal. Now as far as tougher animals are concerned.......the TSX has its place. More and more people are starting to realize that place aint in the deer stand though.

The VLD(s) is something I admit I haven't used yet. I know a few that swore by them at first and quickly they started to back away from them. I have trailed a few animals shot with VLD's as well and it wasn't pretty. If the VLD is designed to come apart as that commercial suggest then I doubt I will ever be caught dead with them.

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6549891 11/19/16 12:49 AM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I love Berger Bullets, they shoot great out of my .243 and I haven't lost a deer.

I really tried with the TTSX bullets out of my .243 but I could not get them to group well. Granted, it was my first time handloading, but after burning 2 50 round boxes and not getting a 1 inch group at 100 yards I bought a box of Berger 95 gr classic hunters. 20 rounds later my rifle was shooting 1/2 MOA at 100 yards.

I haven't shot an animal with copper bullets. My biggest gripe is the price, who can afford to practice with copper rounds???

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6550050 11/19/16 02:59 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I'm not a fan of copper bullets in standard calibers and even standard weight bullets in magnum calibers.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6550244 11/19/16 11:44 AM
T
TxHunter80 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I prefer bonded or copper. Deer are not difficult to kill and I definitely am not opposed to cup and core bullets for them.

I shot about a dozen animals this year with Etips and don't have a single complaint. The animals included blackbuck, nilgai, whitetail, and plains game. Nothing went far and none were difficult to find. The bonded/copper bullets often don't give you the dramatic kills but they are very reliable. I usually get an exit and a decent blood trail. On smaller animals, it helps to hit a shoulder.

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6550369 11/19/16 02:26 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
I love that video, but not because I believe it, which I don't. I have hunted with Berger VLD-Hunting and will do so again. The bullets do not expand as claimed int he OP as much as they violently come apart into a million pieces. In the 6.5 Grendel around 2400-2500 fps, they do not cause the purported hydrostatic shock to stop animals. Some animals do run and when they do, some apparently do run far. The VLD-Hunting is extremely damaging to a LOT of soft tissue. In my estimation, this is a fine eradication hunting round, but a terrible meat hunting round.

In general, what I have found is that they produce horrific wound channels, sometimes multiple channels. They penetrate very deeply and usually overpenetrate. They come apart violently in hogs, opening immediately upon impact, just under the skin, and not several inches inside the body.

Sheeeshhh....the only thing not claimed....was that they give you better gas mileage too.

I am pretty sure they give you better gas mileage as well. cheers

The claim that the Berger VLD-Hunting produces a hydrostatic shock is rather interesting. I noticed that no actual hydrostatic shock evidence was provided, maybe because definitions for such are all over the board and few people have a clue as to what actually would constitute actual hydrostatic shock evidence, nor can they separate it from simple injury-induced shock evidence. Bottom line, don't count on hydrostatic shock to stop an animal. If it happens, great, but it is not something that can be said to reliably happen.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6550489 11/19/16 04:30 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
Awesome video and great shooting!

Do you have any other vids testing bullets?

Re: Why I prefer lead bullets over solid copper for hunting [Re: ChadTRG42] #6552076 11/21/16 01:25 AM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
the barnes that i tried never flew straight
enough to think of using them on game, and
the funds that i allotted for experimenting
ran out so i never bought anymore. i can do
better with an arrow or a shotgun and buck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread