Print Thread
Grease vs oil #6546053 11/16/16 02:42 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
Can you help me understand how and why people use grease?
I typically use Ballistol and recently switched to Hornady One Shot TAP (https://www.midwayusa.com/product/925397...-1-2-oz-aerosol).
The Hornady product is a dry lube and its rust prevention capabilities are superior to Ballistol.

I think that my handguns, AR, and bolt guns are well served with just the Hornady product.

So here’s the question: I have never used any gun grease. Have I been missing anything?

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546062 11/16/16 02:48 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
are you using or for storage?

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546070 11/16/16 02:51 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
For both. My guns are in a safe inside the house and all of them gets shot at least once a year. I never had any rust problem by just using Ballistol and the Hornady is even more performant in that department.

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546077 11/16/16 03:00 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
For a bolt rifle, grease on the bolt, rails and bolt lugs for actually using it. Just a touch, a little on metal to metal surfaces is all that is needed.

The grease prevents galling on the face of the bolt lugs after firing pushes the bolt back.

For storage, inside of the barrel is the most critical surface to protect. Oil on a patch is the easiest to apply on that surface.

Just make sure to clean the oil out before firing the first round, as oil inside the barrel can cause bulges inside of the barrel.

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546083 11/16/16 03:03 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
That Hornady stuff if great, I need to get some after I use up all my Ballistol.

Grease is great for storing firearms for a long period of time. There are different types like packing greese and grease meant to lube the the firearm while in use.

I mainly use oil but I have a syringe bottle of military greese/lube that I use to put drops on the rails of my bolts and shotguns.

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546084 11/16/16 03:04 PM
K
Korean Redneck Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
I only used oil for a long while. Last couple years we got a couple ar's and I concluded that I was running them too dry, especially the bcg. So on the two ar's I started using grease, as opposed to heavily oiling, and haven had an issue since. Do I think grease was the only way to go? No, but this works for us now so I continue to run with it.

To me it comes down more to how it's applied than whether oil or grease is vastly superior to one or the other.

I'm a dude who likes long barrels!
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546097 11/16/16 03:07 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I never use grease. I've seen too many shooters use it in dirty conditions, and it turns to a gross paste. Only oil for mine.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546114 11/16/16 03:15 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
I've never used the Hornady OS stuff. I'm sure it will do fine. As a dry lube, that's a huge plus. I see grease used a lot in bench rest. I've seen some tactical shooters use grease on their bolts and action raceways, and it collects dust and dirt easily. With a chamber open and a little wind with a rifle on the ground, it will collect some dirt and start grinding the bolt when closing. The grease feels good and works, but I'm not a fan of grease because of the dirt in the field.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546280 11/16/16 05:01 PM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
You should be using both for different purposes.

Grease doesn't dry as quickly as oil, so it is generally better for long term things and as mentioned it prevents wear on heavier use portions like rails, races, lugs, etc.

Depending on whether I'm going to be out in the field or not, I will smear the grease lighter to prevent the issues pointed out. Over greasing will just make a mess and gunk up a gun, as will over oiling. I haven't had too many problems myself and find oil collects dust just as easily if the situation is really that dire but that's just me.

I grease the rails and races of my carry weapons, use spray oil very lightly on the trigger group and springs. Oil on the patches down barrels. Clean them maybe once a month to prevent any build up. Use a compressor to spray out any old lubes.

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546665 11/16/16 09:17 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
On a bolt action rifle, I use grease on the bolt's cocking cam. This will be located near the rear of the bolt.

The angled surface that you see here is the cocking cam on my Winchester model 70's bolt. The rear of the firing pin rides on this cam when you open the bolt, cocking the rifle.

When it comes up all of the way, it is held in a little detent, pictured here.

When you push the bolt in and lock it, the firing pin is held back by the sear, as the bolt rotates so that it is suspended above the deepest part of the cam. - You pull the trigger, and it snaps forward to pop off the round in the chamber.

This cam greatly benefits from a dab of grease along the length of the camming surface. Your bolt will open more smoothly, and wear is reduced. Since this part is rarely exposed to the elements, dust has to be pretty bad to be a problem there. A dry cocking cam will eventually gall, and oil does not stay there nearly as well as grease will.

That's the only place that I apply grease on a bolt action rifle, other spots to be lubricated get oil, or in some cases dry-moly lubricant.

Last edited by charlesb; 11/16/16 09:22 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546752 11/16/16 10:04 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
If anyone uses an O/U shotgun they should be greased in the "joint" ... never oiled. I've seen many galled by using oil instead of grease.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6546794 11/16/16 10:31 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I used to put a lot of time and effort in to using the best lubricants. I had numerous products I used, oil and grease. For around five years now I've used Breakfree CLP for everything and am happy with the results. If I had a SxS or O/U I'd have some grease for the reason mentioned by Creedmoor.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: charlesb] #6546817 11/16/16 10:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
On a bolt action rifle, I use grease on the bolt's cocking cam. This will be located near the rear of the bolt.

The angled surface that you see here is the cocking cam on my Winchester model 70's bolt. The rear of the firing pin rides on this cam when you open the bolt, cocking the rifle.

When it comes up all of the way, it is held in a little detent, pictured here.

When you push the bolt in and lock it, the firing pin is held back by the sear, as the bolt rotates so that it is suspended above the deepest part of the cam. - You pull the trigger, and it snaps forward to pop off the round in the chamber.

This cam greatly benefits from a dab of grease along the length of the camming surface. Your bolt will open more smoothly, and wear is reduced. Since this part is rarely exposed to the elements, dust has to be pretty bad to be a problem there. A dry cocking cam will eventually gall, and oil does not stay there nearly as well as grease will.

That's the only place that I apply grease on a bolt action rifle, other spots to be lubricated get oil, or in some cases dry-moly lubricant.

Thanks!

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6547108 11/17/16 02:20 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I do as Charles does on the cocking cam, but I also use a bit of grease on locking lugs. A little bit goes a long way.

I've bought into the notion an AR bolt needs to be liberally oiled, but I still use a very small amount of Tetra Gun fluoropolymer grease to lubricate the locking lugs. It sets up as a dry lube.

A trick I learned a long time ago is to use Hoppe's Gun Grease for exteriior preservation. I take a baby food or pimento jar and squeeze about a three-inch long bird turd of grease into it, then fill it about 2/3 full of acetone or lacquer thinner and shake it up good to get the grease dissolved. Then I'll cram a 10" x 10" flannel rag into it and let it soak up all the solution. Take the rag out and let the acetone or lacquer thinner evaporate, and now you have a nice rag impregnated with Hoppe's Gun Grease. I use the rag to wipe down all the exterior parts of a gun, and it works like a champ. No rust, no corrosion, and it's such a light coat of grease that it does not attract or collect dust and dirt. It just protects.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6547215 11/17/16 03:43 AM
H
HandyMan91 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
love the hoppe's grease rag trick , will be using it.

Originally Posted by Biscuit
The only thing flat earthers have to fear is sphere itself

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6547372 11/17/16 11:02 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Ultimate Gun Grease:

This is the grease that I use.

PTFE gel grease

A clear gel grease with Teflon that is good for temperatures between -45 F to +450 F, stays put, non-toxic, non-corrosive, does not break down, does not attract dust or contaminants, impervious to fresh or salt water.

I got a tip on this grease being outstanding for use on an M1A, and it was. - A big step up from lithium grease! A 3-oz. tube seemingly lasts forever, costs just over seven bucks. - A little dab will do ya.

It's at the top of this price list at Super Lube:

Super Lube price list

I've tried many products, I quit looking after trying this one out. - I have never found any drawback to using it on firearms, it just works.

Great on trigger mechanisms, parts that rotate on pins, or anything else that one might normally use gun grease for.

Last edited by charlesb; 11/17/16 11:14 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: charlesb] #6548079 11/17/16 08:17 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Ultimate Gun Grease:

This is the grease that I use.

PTFE gel grease

A clear gel grease with Teflon that is good for temperatures between -45 F to +450 F, stays put, non-toxic, non-corrosive, does not break down, does not attract dust or contaminants, impervious to fresh or salt water.

I got a tip on this grease being outstanding for use on an M1A, and it was. - A big step up from lithium grease! A 3-oz. tube seemingly lasts forever, costs just over seven bucks. - A little dab will do ya.

It's at the top of this price list at Super Lube:

Super Lube price list

I've tried many products, I quit looking after trying this one out. - I have never found any drawback to using it on firearms, it just works.

Great on trigger mechanisms, parts that rotate on pins, or anything else that one might normally use gun grease for.

I have a tube of this but have never used it on any of my firearms. Except for the slides on my handguns, I've only used oil.

The trick is getting grease into tight spaces. The grease that I've been using on my handguns comes in a large, syringe-type applicator (no needle of course) that makes it easy to squeeze into crevices and tight areas. Once it runs out, I will be refilling the same applicator with the suggested Super Lube grease.

Re: Grease vs oil [Re: Kevin1] #6554421 11/22/16 04:58 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Ace Hardware stocks tubes of Super Lube Synthetic Grease for $10 bucks. Surprisingly, this is a better price than online sources. You will find it in the Automotive section with traditional grease products.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide