Page 1 of 2 1 2
Boat Ramp Etiquette #6545639 11/16/16 03:39 AM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Since we are venting about Barney and sky busters I'd like to point out a couple of useful tips when launching from a public boat ramp. The proper time to load your gear, check you plug, put your waders on, etc.. is BEFORE you back your boat down the ramp. Few things ticked me off more than having to wait 10 minutes for someone to prep their boat after they've backed it down the ramp. The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs. Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6545767 11/16/16 05:27 AM
F
Fowl Language Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Yes, turn off the darn lights!!!!!!!!! Good post, I brought this up last year!

2014 Texas State Duck Calling Champion
Fowl Language Game Calls
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6545845 11/16/16 12:18 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
You duck hunters are sensitive.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6545850 11/16/16 12:23 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted By: Misfire
Since we are venting about Barney and sky busters I'd like to point out a couple of useful tips when launching from a public boat ramp. The proper time to load your gear, check you plug, put your waders on, etc.. is BEFORE you back your boat down the ramp. Few things ticked me off more than having to wait 10 minutes for someone to prep their boat after they've backed it down the ramp. The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs. Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

Common courtesy.....do not be that dense folks.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6545913 11/16/16 01:01 PM
P
Pintail711 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
P
I don't understand what people have to get ready? your blind bag, guns, decoys, etc should be in the boat already. As soon as pull up, I crank my motor, unlatch the front and back of the boat, turn my running lights on and back in. I do a go-light check and my big lights check as the boat is backing up. People have to put their waders on etc... I don't wear my waders in the boat. I can do all of that and drink 3 beers, and be halfway up the lake while others are still at the ramp.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Pintail711] #6545931 11/16/16 01:18 PM
J
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I feel bad for y'all that have to hunt on the public lakes around North Texas. It seems like this kind of stuff is a much more common occurence than it is in SETX. The handful of times I have hunted public we have never had any problems with people setting up too close, parking in the ramp getting stuff ready, sky blasting, shooting at water turkeys, etc. Sure it happens down here but seems like not near as often as up there. Must be something in the water.

Last edited by john paul; 11/16/16 01:18 PM.

Originally Posted by garrett
I'm with GK because I like salty old dudes.
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: john paul] #6545957 11/16/16 01:39 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted By: john paul
I feel bad for y'all that have to hunt on the public lakes around North Texas. It seems like this kind of stuff is a much more common occurence than it is in SETX. The handful of times I have hunted public we have never had any problems with people setting up too close, parking in the ramp getting stuff ready, sky blasting, shooting at water turkeys, etc. Sure it happens down here but seems like not near as often as up there. Must be something in the water.

Its a cowboys fan thing, we wouldn't understand

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: john paul] #6545958 11/16/16 01:39 PM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: john paul

The openers are always bad but for some reason this year was the worst I've seen on the lake I hunted. If you don't deal with a lot of shenanigans, you are lucky my friend.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6545991 11/16/16 01:54 PM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Get there earlier. Problem solved. If you were the first one there and pulled to the side instead of backing down the ramp that's your own fault.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6546043 11/16/16 02:33 PM
T
TxDuck24 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
Seems to be a subject brought up every year. People are people and some aren't going to change. And common courtesy well obviously it doesn't apply to some. Like beating a dead horse. Kudos to those who do have they're stuff ready to go, who doesn't sky blast, who doesn't set up to close to others. Hopefully the new guys to this obsession listens to some of the guys who been doing this awhile and takes notes.

Ruffling Feathers Guide Service
Capt. Brandon Kendrick
936-671-3407
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6546555 11/16/16 08:01 PM
L
LarryCopper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs.

Happened to me Sunday. Luckily it has more than one lane so it wasn't a biggie. I was launching by myself, too, so I stay out of people's way that are going to launch faster than me. Not worried about racing anyone to the X.

I got a new longer rope for the front of my boat tho. I'm gonna start implementing the ol' fisherman's trick. Unlatch the front of the boat while prepping and clip the end of the rope. Back up, let the boat drift off the trailer, pull up and the boat comes right in behind the trailer on the ramp. I tried this once with my old winch. Well, it turned out my clip was hosed up and when I backed off the boat it DIDN'T STOP! eek2 Luckily there was another guy there that was nice enough to fetch my boat for me...

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: LarryCopper] #6546988 11/17/16 12:53 AM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I got a new longer rope for the front of my boat tho. I'm gonna start implementing the ol' fisherman's trick. Unlatch the front of the boat while prepping and clip the end of the rope. Back up, let the boat drift off the trailer, pull up and the boat comes right in behind the trailer on the ramp. I tried this once with my old winch. Well, it turned out my clip was hosed up and when I backed off the boat it DIDN'T STOP! eek2 Luckily there was another guy there that was nice enough to fetch my boat for me...

I solo launch and load 90% of the time and that is exactly how I launch the boat. I have a slip knot tied onto the tag end of the rope and I cinch it up tight around the post that the bow stop is mounted on. One thing to remember about a long rope on the bow..if it can reach your motor, it will if not stowed properly. Trust me on this one, it's not fun to dig a rope out of the prop, in the middle of the lake, in the dark when it's 30* out.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: LarryCopper] #6547030 11/17/16 01:23 AM
T
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs.

Happened to me Sunday. Luckily it has more than one lane so it wasn't a biggie. I was launching by myself, too, so I stay out of people's way that are going to launch faster than me. Not worried about racing anyone to the X.

This is exactly what I do.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: TTUGrad08] #6547738 11/17/16 04:24 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08

This is exactly what I do.

OK, I *usually* don't race folks to the X. But this morning that wasn't true. I got there and had the ramp to myself. Took my time, got launched, and was walking back to the boat when another group pulled up. Normally I'm not worried, but I recognized the boat. Last week while I was scouting they were checking out the same place I wanted to hunt! eeks333 bolt

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6548132 11/17/16 09:05 PM
G
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
G
My area is different than on a standard public lake. The race is to the check station. You pick your spot there; makes things way easier than having to deal with the DD crowd out in the marsh. My typical launch routine: pull up in line at the launch. Get out and get everything boat wise prepped and ready to launch (plug, running lights, straps off and in the bed of the truck, gear in the boat etc.) That way if they move fast I can at least launch and put my waders on in the boat. If they move slow then I get waders and everything on before launch.

It shouldn't take more than a minute to launch your boat, get it off to the side, and move your truck out of the way.

And turn off your damn LED lights on your truck! You DO NOT need them at a lighted launch!?!?!

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6548240 11/17/16 10:31 PM
A
assassinator Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A
Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

I don't launch boats in the dark, I hunt private when I can, and walk in public. I know there are people who have no clue how to get a boat off the trailer or back on. But what is this about? Do you get mad when someone is driving on the road towards you with there lights on? How hard is it to not just stare into their headlights? I mean your not going 65mph your just sitting there. Can someone enlighten me? confused2

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: assassinator] #6548247 11/17/16 10:34 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: assassinator
Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

I don't launch boats in the dark, I hunt private when I can, and walk in public. I know there are people who have no clue how to get a boat off the trailer or back on. But what is this about? Do you get mad when someone is driving on the road towards you with there lights on? How hard is it to not just stare into their headlights? I mean your not going 65mph your just sitting there. Can someone enlighten me? confused2

You can't see where your own boat is going (while backing it down) with headlights in your face.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: LarryCopper] #6548256 11/17/16 10:38 PM
A
assassinator Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
A

You can't see where your own boat is going (while backing it down) with headlights in your face.

Ok, so the people waiting to launch need to dim their lights, not the guy launching the boat?
The first post says turn off your lights when backing down the ramp?

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6548262 11/17/16 10:42 PM
L
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
No, if you're backing down kill em. Otherwise anyone coming in behind you won't be able to see when they try to back in. They would be looking into your headlights instead.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: assassinator] #6548416 11/18/16 12:36 AM
M
Misfire Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
M

It's pretty simple...when backing down an angled ramp the headlights are pointing upward at just the right angle to blind anyone else trying to back down the ramp. it pretty much blinds everyone "downrange." The comparison of passing someone at 65mph isn't the same thing. Those lights are pointed at the ground, not your face.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6548458 11/18/16 01:06 AM
B
blackcoal Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
If you can't see to back a boat (or anything) because of lights, how do you drive in traffic or in a parking lot at a mall. I have never seen anyone pull into a well lit mall parking area and turn their lights out.

The Greatest Enemy of knowledge is not ignorance,
it is the illusion of knowledge.--Stephen Hawking
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire] #6548466 11/18/16 01:11 AM
F
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
F
Did y'all know duck season started 6 days ago? Me either, 0 dead duck pics and here we are 20 posts deep about backing down boat ramps. Gonna be a long season fellas.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: FowlDreams] #6549043 11/18/16 01:58 PM
O
Ol_Yeller Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
Originally Posted By: FowlDreams
Did y'all know duck season started 6 days ago? Me either, 0 dead duck pics and here we are 20 posts deep about backing down boat ramps. Gonna be a long season fellas.

Here ya go...tired boy, tough retrieves. We may have been a bit lax on off season conditioning and the reeds have gotten thicker and taller.

"Duck hunter's minds are like concrete. All mixed up and permanently set."
Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: blackcoal] #6549067 11/18/16 02:22 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: blackcoal
If you can't see to back a boat (or anything) because of lights, how do you drive in traffic or in a parking lot at a mall. I have never seen anyone pull into a well lit mall parking area and turn their lights out.

It's just a courtesy, if you want to be a dick just leave them on.

Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Pintail711] #6549730 11/18/16 09:58 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
The last thing I'm doing first is starting my motor while I get other things ready. A spinning prop while you unlatch the front and rear of your boat? You must not have a longtail then. Your way is a classic example of why people have to do things different. I think launching my boat with waders on is a plus. I have gator glide on my boat....no way I'm unlatching my boat before I get backed down. See, you must not have GG on your hull. It takes me about 5 minutes to ready my boat all by myself (includes putting waders on) I do this away from the ramp. I back down, I have a rope attached to the eye hook. I unhook the wench strap and just shove my boat off.....while standing in usually about 6" to a foot of water (dam them waders!) Tie the rope off and go park.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide