6248252 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6545639 - 11/15/16 09:39 PM Boat Ramp Etiquette
Misfire Offline
Tracker

Loc: Hood County
Since we are venting about Barney and sky busters I'd like to point out a couple of useful tips when launching from a public boat ramp. The proper time to load your gear, check you plug, put your waders on, etc.. is BEFORE you back your boat down the ramp. Few things ticked me off more than having to wait 10 minutes for someone to prep their boat after they've backed it down the ramp. The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs. Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

#6545767 - 11/15/16 11:27 PM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
Fowl Language Offline
Light Foot

Yes, turn off the darn lights!!!!!!!!! Good post, I brought this up last year!

#6545845 - 11/16/16 06:18 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
CRAnderson52 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Highland Village, Texas
You duck hunters are sensitive.

#6545850 - 11/16/16 06:23 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
topwater13 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Wise County
Originally Posted By: Misfire
Since we are venting about Barney and sky busters I'd like to point out a couple of useful tips when launching from a public boat ramp. The proper time to load your gear, check you plug, put your waders on, etc.. is BEFORE you back your boat down the ramp. Few things ticked me off more than having to wait 10 minutes for someone to prep their boat after they've backed it down the ramp. The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs. Also, for the love of all that's holy, please turn your headlights off when backing down the ramp.

Common courtesy.....do not be that dense folks.

#6545913 - 11/16/16 07:01 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
Pintail711 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Longview, TX
I don't understand what people have to get ready? your blind bag, guns, decoys, etc should be in the boat already. As soon as pull up, I crank my motor, unlatch the front and back of the boat, turn my running lights on and back in. I do a go-light check and my big lights check as the boat is backing up. People have to put their waders on etc... I don't wear my waders in the boat. I can do all of that and drink 3 beers, and be halfway up the lake while others are still at the ramp.

#6545931 - 11/16/16 07:18 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Pintail711]
john paul Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: lubbock, beaumont, where the b...
I feel bad for y'all that have to hunt on the public lakes around North Texas. It seems like this kind of stuff is a much more common occurence than it is in SETX. The handful of times I have hunted public we have never had any problems with people setting up too close, parking in the ramp getting stuff ready, sky blasting, shooting at water turkeys, etc. Sure it happens down here but seems like not near as often as up there. Must be something in the water.

Edited by john paul (11/16/16 07:18 AM)

#6545957 - 11/16/16 07:39 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: john paul]
rickym Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Originally Posted By: john paul
I feel bad for y'all that have to hunt on the public lakes around North Texas. It seems like this kind of stuff is a much more common occurence than it is in SETX. The handful of times I have hunted public we have never had any problems with people setting up too close, parking in the ramp getting stuff ready, sky blasting, shooting at water turkeys, etc. Sure it happens down here but seems like not near as often as up there. Must be something in the water.

Its a cowboys fan thing, we wouldn't understand

#6545958 - 11/16/16 07:39 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: john paul]
Misfire Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: john paul

The openers are always bad but for some reason this year was the worst I've seen on the lake I hunted. If you don't deal with a lot of shenanigans, you are lucky my friend.

#6545991 - 11/16/16 07:54 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
FowlDreams Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: where the birds are
Get there earlier. Problem solved. If you were the first one there and pulled to the side instead of backing down the ramp that's your own fault.

Silver Creek Guide Service 817-597-0781

Instagram: @fowldreams @silvercreekguideservice @fdwc_calls

#6546043 - 11/16/16 08:33 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
TxDuck24 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Seadrift,Tx
Seems to be a subject brought up every year. People are people and some aren't going to change. And common courtesy well obviously it doesn't apply to some. Like beating a dead horse. Kudos to those who do have they're stuff ready to go, who doesn't sky blast, who doesn't set up to close to others. Hopefully the new guys to this obsession listens to some of the guys who been doing this awhile and takes notes.
Port O' Connor, Tx
www.rfguideservice.com

#6546555 - 11/16/16 02:01 PM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs.

Happened to me Sunday. Luckily it has more than one lane so it wasn't a biggie. I was launching by myself, too, so I stay out of people's way that are going to launch faster than me. Not worried about racing anyone to the X.

I got a new longer rope for the front of my boat tho. I'm gonna start implementing the ol' fisherman's trick. Unlatch the front of the boat while prepping and clip the end of the rope. Back up, let the boat drift off the trailer, pull up and the boat comes right in behind the trailer on the ramp. I tried this once with my old winch. Well, it turned out my clip was hosed up and when I backed off the boat it DIDN'T STOP! eek2 Luckily there was another guy there that was nice enough to fetch my boat for me...

"The greatest thing in the world is for a man to take his son hunting, because he won't ever have to hunt the streets for him tomorrow."
- Cowboy Fernandez

#6546988 - 11/16/16 06:53 PM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: LarryCopper]
Misfire Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

I got a new longer rope for the front of my boat tho. I'm gonna start implementing the ol' fisherman's trick. Unlatch the front of the boat while prepping and clip the end of the rope. Back up, let the boat drift off the trailer, pull up and the boat comes right in behind the trailer on the ramp. I tried this once with my old winch. Well, it turned out my clip was hosed up and when I backed off the boat it DIDN'T STOP! eek2 Luckily there was another guy there that was nice enough to fetch my boat for me...

I solo launch and load 90% of the time and that is exactly how I launch the boat. I have a slip knot tied onto the tag end of the rope and I cinch it up tight around the post that the bow stop is mounted on. One thing to remember about a long rope on the bow..if it can reach your motor, it will if not stowed properly. Trust me on this one, it's not fun to dig a rope out of the prop, in the middle of the lake, in the dark when it's 30* out.

#6547030 - 11/16/16 07:23 PM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: LarryCopper]
TTUGrad08 Offline
Tracker

Loc: TEXAS!
The only thing worse than that is when they drive around you while you're prepping your boat only the back down the ramp and begin prepping theirs.

Happened to me Sunday. Luckily it has more than one lane so it wasn't a biggie. I was launching by myself, too, so I stay out of people's way that are going to launch faster than me. Not worried about racing anyone to the X.

This is exactly what I do.

#6547738 - 11/17/16 10:24 AM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: TTUGrad08]
LarryCopper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: The Great State
Originally Posted By: TTUGrad08

This is exactly what I do.

OK, I *usually* don't race folks to the X. But this morning that wasn't true. I got there and had the ramp to myself. Took my time, got launched, and was walking back to the boat when another group pulled up. Normally I'm not worried, but I recognized the boat. Last week while I was scouting they were checking out the same place I wanted to hunt! eeks333 bolt

"The greatest thing in the world is for a man to take his son hunting, because he won't ever have to hunt the streets for him tomorrow."
- Cowboy Fernandez

#6548132 - 11/17/16 03:05 PM Re: Boat Ramp Etiquette [Re: Misfire]
Gengo Offline
Bird Dog

My area is different than on a standard public lake. The race is to the check station. You pick your spot there; makes things way easier than having to deal with the DD crowd out in the marsh. My typical launch routine: pull up in line at the launch. Get out and get everything boat wise prepped and ready to launch (plug, running lights, straps off and in the bed of the truck, gear in the boat etc.) That way if they move fast I can at least launch and put my waders on in the boat. If they move slow then I get waders and everything on before launch.

It shouldn't take more than a minute to launch your boat, get it off to the side, and move your truck out of the way.

And turn off your damn LED lights on your truck! You DO NOT need them at a lighted launch!?!?!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide