Print Thread
Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? #6501459 10/19/16 12:06 AM
K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
Any issues in getting it? Sample plan I can reference?

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6501473 10/19/16 12:14 AM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
A wildlife exemption is fairly easy to get in any county as long as the land was AG exempt for the previous year.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6501478 10/19/16 12:16 AM
K
ktk120 Online Content OP
Tracker
OP Online Content
Tracker
K
Yes it is Ag exempt. I legitimately want to improve the wildlife and do not want cattle roaming around but wasn't sure if the tax offices have issues giving these out.

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6501561 10/19/16 01:07 AM
A
AvianQuest Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
Originally Posted By: ktk120

Yes it is Ag exempt. I legitimately want to improve the wildlife and do not want cattle roaming around but wasn't sure if the tax offices have issues giving these out.

It shouldn't make any difference to them since the tax exemption is the same. The drawback to you with the wildlife exemption is the state doesn't allow to buy anything sales tax except, whereas you get a sales tax break on ag or forestry equipment and materials if had that exemption.

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6501659 10/19/16 02:03 AM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I found it wasn't too difficult (different county though) and the county folks are just trying to do their job, so make it easy on them and you will be fine. Have you looked at county website for reqs? Do you have to pick species? I can't share my docs because I used a format from consultant which is copyrighted, but if you PM me email address, I can share a few tips. May not be a huge help, but happy to help if I can.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6502014 10/19/16 12:12 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
You can do what you want but sometimes a few cattle are better than non. Here the tax office told me it would be better to keep my AG exemption than to go with Wildlife. A lot less paper work for both of us.

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: AvianQuest] #6502181 10/19/16 02:04 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: AvianQuest
Originally Posted By: ktk120

It shouldn't make any difference to them since the tax exemption is the same. The drawback to you with the wildlife exemption is the state doesn't allow to buy anything sales tax except, whereas you get a sales tax break on ag or forestry equipment and materials if had that exemption.

What else can you get a break on? Fences or even a barn? Feed?

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/19/16 02:04 PM.
Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6502323 10/19/16 03:24 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
What else can you get a break on? Fences or even a barn? Feed?

Lots of stuff: here is a list of a few and yes fences are exempt, barns are not, feed is exempt.

Exempt Ag/Timber Purchases – Agricultural or Timber Exemption Certificate and Ag/Timber Number Required

You must give the retailer a properly completed agricultural or timber exemption certificate showing a current agricultural and timber registration number (ag/timber number) when purchasing these items:

animals raised to sell as food, but not ordinarily considered food or required to be inspected by the USDA’s Food Safety Inspection Service, such as rabbits, deer, llamas and bison;
animals raised and shown by students and teachers in 4H, FFA and similar agricultural vocational groups;
fertilizers, fungicides, insecticides, herbicides, defoliants and desiccants used exclusively to produce timber for sale or on a commercial farm or ranch to produce food or other agricultural products for sale;
machinery and equipment (including repair or component parts) used exclusively on a commercial farm or ranch to produce food or other agricultural products for sale or to build or maintain roads and water supplies;
machinery and equipment (including repair or component parts) used exclusively to produce timber;
machinery and equipment used by an original producer for packing and processing agricultural or timber products;
machinery and equipment exclusively used in an agricultural aircraft operation, as defined by 14 CFR Section 137.3;
tangible personal property incorporated into a structure used for poultry carcass disposal;
components of irrigation systems used to produce food and other agricultural and timber products for sale;
seedlings used to produce timber for sale;
electricity and natural gas used in agricultural or timber operations;
services performed on exempt tangible personal property identified in this list; and
telecommunications services (as of Sept. 1, 2015) used to navigate machinery and equipment exclusively used on a farm or ranch to:
build or maintain roads;
build or maintain water facilities; or
produce agricultural products to be sold in the regular course of business.
Other Exempt Purchases – Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate Required

Some animals and their feed do not qualify for the ag/timber exemption, but do qualify for the standard sales and use tax exemption. You must give the retailer a properly completed Form 01-339, Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificate (PDF) when purchasing them. The certificate must specifically explain the exempt purpose for which the animal or feed will be used. You do not need an ag/timber number to buy them.

Work Animals – Animals used exclusively in one of the following work activities qualify for exemption:

herding dogs and animals raised for their products (such as wool or fur), if harvesting those products is their primary purpose;
aiding a person with a disability (professionally trained service animals); and
performing protective services, if the animal has been professionally trained for that specific purpose.
Work animals do not include animals raised, trained or kept as pets or breeding stock or those kept for sport or for show. For example, tax is due on hunting dogs or other animals a game hunting operation purchases and on exotic animals a zoo or circus purchases.

Animal Feed – Feed for work animals qualifies for exemption. Feed for animals being held for sale in the regular course of business (including dogs, cats, rabbits and exotic animals) also qualifies for exemption.

To qualify for exemption, the sales and use tax exemption certificate must clearly state the feed is for work animals, animals to be sold in the regular course of business or for breeding stock for animals that will be sold.

Pet food is taxable. Pet food prescribed by a veterinarian can be purchased tax free without a sales and use tax exemption certificate.

Go to https://www.comptroller.texas.gov/taxes/ag-timber/ and you will find out a lot of information.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6502345 10/19/16 03:43 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Good info, thanks!

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6537590 11/10/16 06:47 PM
C
crumrw Offline
Tracker
Tracker
C
I recommend reaching out to your county TPWD biologist. I did this in Hunt County and they were great at setting the expectations of what was acceptable for each category.

Here are the biologists for Montague...
http://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/county/?county=Montague

Re: Anyone do Wildlife exemption in Montague County? [Re: ktk120] #6538729 11/11/16 01:09 PM
billybob Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Although the wildlife plan for the exemption is controlled by TPWL, they have left approving authority with the county tax office. In fact you don't need TPWL approval signature to be allowed the exemption. I got mine in April and worked in person with the county tax people. Tried the TPWL biologist but she was booked out for 3 months.
Each county will differ...some major some minor. All mine require is maintaining wildlife count records and doing what I normally do..food plots and predator elimination. And that is only when they want to see my progress on the plan. I can pm you my plan if you want.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide