45 Forums
476318 Topics
6248268 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Topic Options
#6536996 - 11/10/16 07:28 AM ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW****
daniel044 Offline
Light Foot

I saw a thread a few weeks ago on this page about Gunn & Hook reviews and wanted everyone to see my experience here as well.

First off I purchased a hunt with the outfit in March of this year. Things started off great as I was promised pictures of the deer I would get to hunt around July time frame. Fast forward to July. I started sending messages to the guide asking for pictures. The guide promised me pictures from July to around mid-September, after repeated excuses of why he could not send pictures the guide offered me a refund on the hunt as he was always busy or out of town and could not meet my request of pictures. So I let it slide a few more weeks and on 9/21 I told the guide I would take the refund. After 3 weeks of never receiving a refund I contacted Kevin McConnell of Gunn & Hook. We spoke on the phone and assured me that I would see a refund in my mailbox in 2-3 days and to make contact with him if I did not receive it. This conversation happened 10/11. Now here we are today with no refund in my hands and no responses from Kevin. He has ignored all calls and texts sent to him for the past 4 weeks.

So a total of a month a half of being promised a refund I have yet to see any money.

The only way I can get to these guys is to let everyone know that ****DO NOT USE THIS OUTFIT**** it’s a complete scam. I have been hunting all my life and all I wanted was a hunt of a lifetime. This has completely ruined the experience for me.

#6537108 - 11/10/16 08:26 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
nyalubwe Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Montana
Thanks for the heads up!

#6537117 - 11/10/16 08:30 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Ty Webb Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: North Texas
It's deja vu all over again!!
These guys are as shady as the day is long.

#6538635 - 11/11/16 04:54 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Creekrunner Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bexar/Gillespie, hunt Terrell
Losers. 'Sorry you're having to go through this.

#6538666 - 11/11/16 05:49 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
CitySlickerHunter Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Tarrant County,TX
Thanks for posting. mad

#6538811 - 11/11/16 08:05 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
EddieWalker Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Tyler, TX
Sorry to hear about this, and I really appreciate the heads up. We all need to post who the bad outfitters are so that nobody else gets burned by them.

#6545428 - 11/15/16 07:38 PM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Jeff Elder Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Weatherford/Albany / Matagorda...
You sure you have the right number? Kevin is a good guy

Cell 817-597-0781

#6545808 - 11/16/16 04:43 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
KeithTT Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: fort worth TX
Gunn & Hook are not Outfitters, Guides, or anything to do with actually taking someone on a hunt. They are what I like to call Outfitter Pimps. They personally contacted me and came on a Turkey hunt (never stating who they were) Then once the hunt was over and successful they said "hey we want to sell Turkey hunts out here". I said ok cool send all you want. Then they wanted a fee from our already low prices or they wanted us to jack up our prices so they can make money off the hunters. I personally have hunted with GH staff on the infamous Cory Anderson Dove leases of Haslet. If you don't know about the million rip offs and bad reviews Cory has received just search it on here. I would never send a hunter to a place with such reviews however I was informed by the staff who invited me to hunt that is where they send people. Hunters are paying an extra fee or the outfitter is getting screwed so they can send hunters out to a place they know little about apparently.
I have been professionally guiding for 15 years this year. My best advice when buying a hunt is to shop direct! Do a little homework and make sure the person you are booking with is the actual person you will be hunting with. Ask around about that person and get REFERENCES (atleast 5). This day and age almost all have a facebook. Check the reviews on their facebook page. There are several companies out there like GH that are nothing more than Middlemen. To me that word means Extra costs for no reason. It's farely easy to search google, THF, Facebook and find the hunt you are looking for. I personally sell hunts for several outfitting operations. However I also physically guide at those operations. When you book a hunt with me, you will be hunting with me or a staff of the ranch I work at.
Just my 2 cents. Guys like that make it hard on the good folks, I tell ya'.
Keith Aikens Outdoors www.facebook.com/keithaikensoutdoors

#6546532 - 11/16/16 01:45 PM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Frisbie Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Burleson, TX
Yea.... they screwed me around since March. He owes me $500 for a hunt that I already did for them.

Vanished. Can't get a hold of him.

#6547516 - 11/17/16 07:57 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: Frisbie]
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: North Texas
Don't they have a store in Fort Worth that you can walk in to?

#6554043 - 11/22/16 07:17 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: Limit Extender]
Jasb Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Tx
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
Don't they have a store in Fort Worth that you can walk in to?

They sure do

#6554065 - 11/22/16 07:32 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Zach S Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Mason, Gatesville, Round Rock
Daniel- I don't know if you saw my post previously but I was given the run around for several months before I finally got my refund. They never sent my money on to the outfitter in Wyoming to hunt Mule deer and then didn't even tell the outfitter I was not coming because they had not paid. If you want to get your refund, you will either have to have a lawyer file or go to small claims court. Calling his cell phone number (which the main line of he biz is directed to) over and over and over seems to be the only way he will respond.

Jeff Elder- you may have different experience but in my book, Kevin is not a good dude. Lie after lie after lie about having "already" mailed he refund and it was his partners fault. He refuses to answer his phone once he knows you are looking to get back what is owed, that is called a thief.
Former employees gave me information on the business and so did he when I finally got my refund and he basically told me that he should have just ignored it and let the business go to chapter 11 instead of giving my the refund and said he wasn't going to continue giving out refunds even though they willingly took the money because "past mangament" has screwed up the business.

Such BS and his partner is just as guilty as well.

#6554069 - 11/22/16 07:33 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: Jasb]
Zach S Offline
Woodsman

Kevin doesn't even live in Fort Worth and so I doubt you will find him there, he lives in austin

#6554072 - 11/22/16 07:36 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
Zach S Offline
Woodsman

Daniel - by the way the line about it is mailed out and contact me if it is not received in 2-3 days is his standard line to get you off the phone. He does. It mail it out and will not mail it out. I had to meet him in person to get mine. Just FYI, don't hang up until you get it sent via PayPal or agree to meet in person if you are serious about the refund.

#6554080 - 11/22/16 07:41 AM Re: ***GUNN & HOOK REVIEW**** [Re: daniel044]
daniel044 Offline
Light Foot

Looks like bad business all around for this guy. I am not worrying to much about it anymore as I have things going on in the background to get my money back.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone needs to be aware before going and spending money with this company. You will never get what your promised and if you ask for a refund beware that you are signing up for a part time job. I have put a lot of hours and effort into getting my money back with no success, thats why I have now taken a different route to get it done.

Edited by daniel044 (11/22/16 07:42 AM)

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide