Print Thread
Feeding pups #6535331 11/09/16 03:40 PM
C
Chet Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
At what age do you start feeding pups one meal a day?

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535358 11/09/16 03:49 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Eight to 10 months old for me except while hunting. I never feed before a hunt.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535545 11/09/16 05:06 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
NEVER.

Dogs are healthier and less prone to bloating if fed smaller portions twice daily.

Any veterinarian worth their degree will tell you the same.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535568 11/09/16 05:13 PM
C
CRAnderson52 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
I guess I'm a bad dog owner... Mine have food out 24/7. They eat until they're full and leave the rest siting there.

You can run but you can't hide...
Re: Feeding pups [Re: CRAnderson52] #6535607 11/09/16 05:28 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: CRAnderson52
I guess I'm a bad dog owner... Mine have food out 24/7. They eat until they're full and leave the rest siting there.

Nope. That's better than once a day. Free choice as you are doing is fine as long as they don't overeat and get too heavy.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535673 11/09/16 06:02 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

Skip to main content

SUBSCRIBE / LOG IN

How to Feed Your Hunting Dog
BY BRIAN LYNN APRIL 28, 2011
We've talked about feeding, how to keep pup at his ideal body weight and the benefits of feeding a performance formula before here on the Gun Dogs blog, but I thought you might want to hear about the best time to feed and how many times per day you should feed -- straight from the mouth (or pen, well, computer anyway) of an expert.
Brian Zanghi is a nutritionist with Purina and his latest release details why feeding your active sporting dog once a day will help him perform at optimal levels.
Will feeding twice a day ruin old Fido? Nope, but if he's a hard-working dog that hunts extensively, day after day, then you might consider switching his feeding routine to a once-a-day regiment. He'll feel and perform better in the field for you.
So when do you feed your dog during the day over the course of the hunting or performance season, and how many times a day do you feed? There are some concepts to consider in structuring a feeding strategy for your hardworking dog and we will discuss why they work. Some things to consider include, the optimal time to feed and how often to feed daily.
There is a variety of information that indicates feeding a hardworking dog is optimal when the food is provided after hunting or training for the day, and not before. Did you know that it takes 20-24 hours for your dog's meal to be completely digested and eliminated as a bowel movement?
Nutrition studies have revealed that a dog's endurance performance can be as much as doubled when on an empty stomach compared to having eaten 4 or less hours before exercising. There is also scientific evidence from dog nutrition studies that feeding 17 or more hours before exercise results in a much greater use of fat as energy; this is compared to feeding 6 hours before exercise, which results in a much greater use of carbohydrates for energy generation.

You might be asking: why is this important? Exercise metabolism for a hardworking dog is best when fat is used for producing energy for muscles. This is because fat is the best energy source for promoting and supporting endurance exercise, which is exactly what most hardworking dogs require for optimal performance.
For any sportsman or pet owner reading this article that has dogs that tend to sprint more often than quarter a field, this applies to you and your dog as well. Why? Because nutrition studies with greyhounds have even indicated that high fat diets, which promote fat metabolism for energy, result in faster run times than strictly high carbohydrate diets. Even though all the reasons for this are not well understood, it minimally demonstrates that fat metabolism is very important for short duration/high intensity, as well as long duration/moderate intensity, exercise in dogs.
Based on this information, it is recommended that intensely exercising dogs be fed approximately 24 hours before an intense exercise bout to help alleviate problems associated with a full colon. This can include bloody stool, believed to be associated with irritation of the intestinal lining by movement of fecal material in the large bowel because of intense exercise.
If the sporting activity is a multiple day event, then likely it will not be realistic to wait 24 hours before the next exercise bout. Therefore, most dogs should be fed 30-60 minutes after exercise or hard work is complete for the day so that they have the maximum amount of time to digest the meal before the next day's exercise bout.
Immediately after the dog stops working or hunting, it is best to focus on allowing the breathing rate to slow or generally return to normal, and provide fresh water in for rehydrating. Just be sure that the dog doesn't over-consume the drinking water all at once, as vomiting could occur.
DAILY FEEDING FREQUENCY
Consistent with feeding your hunting dog after a day's training or hunting is complete, as well as providing as much time for digestion, also leads to the suggestion that feeding once daily is more optimal than feeding twice daily.
Healthy adult dogs, unlike people, don't get hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) with short or multiple days of food deprivation, even when exercising, as they rely much more significantly on fat metabolism. Of course, feeding once daily would be considered optimal for performance of a hardworking dog, but this may not be feasible in some situations or for some dogs.
If very large quantities are required daily to maintain an ideal body condition, like 7-8 cups for a 50-60 lb dog, it would be recommended to consult your veterinarian to devise a custom feeding strategy for your dog's particular needs. This scenario can be typical of young adult dogs housed outdoors in cool to cold temperatures, particularly when they exhibit very active kennel behaviors, and are trained/hunted multiple times a week.
If you are feeding this large quantity of food on a maintenance formula, this is a good example of a need to switch to a performance food. Feeding 7-8 cups a day would also be a situation where feeding twice daily may be required, however feeding the bulk (~75%) of the food immediately after exercise, then the balance 4-6 hours later. Alternative options to consider would be to increase the caloric density and/or feed a food with higher digestibility as a strategy for reducing the amount needed to deliver adequate calories. Again, if you find yourself in this scenario with a high-octane dog, consult your veterinarian to work out a custom strategy to ensure adequate nutrient balance and feeding, as each extreme situation will require some customization.
Our hardworking dogs are nothing less than elite athletes in every way. We expect high performance when they are afield and we train them for success, so it is important that we consider how providing the best nutrition and feeding strategies support our canine athlete. This is critical to complement the training and breeding of your pet. Taken together, all these suggestions can contribute each in simple ways to develop an optimal feeding program for your hardworking dog. Good luck.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535728 11/09/16 06:31 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
That's all fine and good, but the guy is a NUTRITIONIST. Not a practicing VETERINARIAN. Go ahead and feed once a day. If your dog eats slowly and doesn't drink a gallon of water afterwards you'll likely be fine. But (and here's where it hits you hard!) if he/she eats fast, gulps the food without chewing, and then follows it with a lot of water you are setting yourself up for a huge veterinary bill and possibly a dead animal. BLOATING is commonplace, especially with Labradors and other breeds that like to eat fast. It happens quickly and requires emergency surgery. The stomach actually flips over and ties itself off from the rest of the digestive system. As the food swells in the stomach it grows in size and can actually rupture.

My wife has been practicing medicine for 33 years and is a board certified critical care doctor. She sees this regularly. That nutritionist has likely sat in a chair in his office and never seen the effect this can and does have.

Do as you please. It makes no difference to me how or when you feed. But it's far smarter and safer to feed twice daily.

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535797 11/09/16 07:14 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

Chet,

I always started at about six to eight months.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Creedmoor] #6535798 11/09/16 07:15 PM
C
Chet Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
C
So pointers are not labs and I've fed my adult dogs once a day for 50 years with no problems and will continue to. I'm looking for when guys quit feeding pups 2 or 3 times a day and switch to adult schedules whether it's once or twice a day. But thanks for your opinion.

ReelTexan- thanks that's about when I have in the past. Unfortunately I have 3 pups of different ages and the youngest is 4 mo. and guess I'll continue with twice a day on her. She won't be allowed to run much till mid Dec but have one almost 7 months and one 3 weeks behind that will be running early in the day and think I should feed when we quit and just one meal.

Bill - thanks good read.

Last edited by Chet; 11/09/16 07:23 PM.
Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535807 11/09/16 07:20 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Yeah, pointers are not Labs. Nor are collies, newfoundlands, and greyhounds. But I've seen them all bloat.

But I didn't give you my opinion. I gave you FACTS.

And I sincerely hope you do well with your chosen feeding regimen. up

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6535814 11/09/16 07:24 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
6 months.

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6536001 11/09/16 09:05 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
6-8 months. Been doing it for 25+ years and never had an issue. I let mine out to run before dinner, they come back into their kennel and food is waiting on them, if they don't eat it in 20 minutes, I pull it. If they go a second day without eating, I would take them to the vet. But in 25+ years, that's never happened.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Feeding pups [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6536205 11/09/16 11:10 PM
B
bobcat1 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted By: CCBIRDDOGMAN
6-8 months. Been doing it for 25+ years and never had an issue. I let mine out to run before dinner, they come back into their kennel and food is waiting on them, if they don't eat it in 20 minutes, I pull it. If they go a second day without eating, I would take them to the vet. But in 25+ years, that's never happened.
Bingo. That way they figure out to eat when it is there and hurry up. Pays off when gone hunting or trialing too.

Bobby Barnett

Re: Feeding pups [Re: bobcat1] #6537090 11/10/16 02:17 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Offline
Bird Herder
Bird Herder
Originally Posted By: bobcat1
Bingo. That way they figure out to eat when it is there and hurry up. Pays off when gone hunting or trialing too.

Also makes it easy to tell when something might be wrong.

Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: Feeding pups [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6537160 11/10/16 02:51 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: bobcat1

Also makes it easy to tell when something might be wrong.
agree, always fed evening, pups fed according to how much they were eating, and how big the poop piles

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6537382 11/10/16 04:48 PM
K
kindall Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Normally between 6-9 moths old they start becoming less interested in the morning meal. That lets me know its time to go to once a day feedings.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6538164 11/11/16 12:35 AM
B
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Didn't read all of bills post. For me. The once a day routine is for when there working hard. Most people don't run there dogs hard year round.

So I feed once a day during hunting trips. twice a day outside of hunting trips

Re: Feeding pups [Re: Creedmoor] #6545697 11/16/16 04:12 AM
T
TXPanhandler Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
That's all fine and good, but the guy is a NUTRITIONIST. Not a practicing VETERINARIAN. Go ahead and feed once a day. If your dog eats slowly and doesn't drink a gallon of water afterwards you'll likely be fine. But (and here's where it hits you hard!) if he/she eats fast, gulps the food without chewing, and then follows it with a lot of water you are setting yourself up for a huge veterinary bill and possibly a dead animal. BLOATING is commonplace, especially with Labradors and other breeds that like to eat fast. It happens quickly and requires emergency surgery. The stomach actually flips over and ties itself off from the rest of the digestive system. As the food swells in the stomach it grows in size and can actually rupture.

My wife has been practicing medicine for 33 years and is a board certified critical care doctor. She sees this regularly. That nutritionist has likely sat in a chair in his office and never seen the effect this can and does have.

Do as you please. It makes no difference to me how or when you feed. But it's far smarter and safer to feed twice daily.

My dad's and my dogs have eaten once a day since he started keeping bird dogs of his own in 1975, and we have only had 1 dog's stomach flip....it was the house dog who has access to food 24/7.

upshaw-insurance.com
Re: Feeding pups [Re: Chet] #6549001 11/18/16 01:34 PM
M
Misfire Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
M
speaking of bloat.. anyone have any experience with Gastropexy?

"I wanna go fast" -Ricky Bobby

"Mind bottling isn't it?" -Chazz Michael Michaels

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide