Forums46
Topics537,979
Posts9,731,366
Members87,053
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533301 11/08/16 09:26 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I clearly remember the day when Dad shot Mom's car, while sighting in the rifle and resting it on the top. Scope view cleared the top, but the barrel didn't. Oh, the look on his face....

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: NORML as can be] #6533322 11/08/16 09:36 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: mrmo
Originally Posted By: Kahuna
Are his ears still ringing?

What?
HUH

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533378 11/08/16 09:58 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
My boss shot the back door of my company car from inside years ago. He never told me that he had done it until after I got it fixed. He approved everything.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: NORML as can be] #6533421 11/08/16 10:12 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: mrmo
Originally Posted By: Kahuna
Are his ears still ringing?

What?
clap

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533499 11/08/16 11:00 PM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533541 11/08/16 11:18 PM
G
General Guts Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Don't read magazines when loading your gun

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: dkershen] #6533583 11/08/16 11:35 PM
B
bucksnbass357 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Was it a Ford, chevy or Dodge? Might have been a justifiable shooting.

All kidding aside, glad no one was hurt!

Nice. roflmao Very glad no one was hurt.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533630 11/08/16 11:58 PM
T
Tin Head Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
worthless

[Linked Image]
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533699 11/09/16 12:33 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
"The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged."

Uhhhh

That's why it's called an Accidental Discharge roflmao

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: postoak] #6533848 11/09/16 01:36 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: postoak
I had my first AD on Sunday -- and in a box blind. I fired at a buck under the feeder. I believe in not "admiring the shot" so I quickly reloaded. As I brought my hand off the bolt handle, my longest finger snagged the trigger and "kaboom"!

Ouch.......

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: SniperRAB] #6533925 11/09/16 02:05 AM
N
Nogalus Prairie Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
"The vast majority of ADs are the result of human error. They are only funny with hindsight because there wasn't a person in front of the barrel when the weapon discharged."

Uhhhh

That's why it's called an Accidental Discharge roflmao

Both human and mechanical error caused unintended discharges are accidental. What are you laughing about? I know you had to post because it's me, but you have no point.

Originally Posted by Russ79
I learned long ago you can't reason someone out of something they don't reason themselves into.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6533938 11/09/16 02:09 AM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Not laughing at a Accidental Discharge...

Should have never been one in the Pipe.

Calm down little buddy.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6534040 11/09/16 02:44 AM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Speaking of the result of an "accidental discharge" ......never mind....I'd be banned.....carry on......

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6534064 11/09/16 02:52 AM
C
Chunky Monkey Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
C
I will get all the details on the rifle make and get some pics but he was getting ready to go out hunting and he chambered a round and then pushed the clip in and it fired. Don't know if the safety was off or anything but I will get the details to provide you with everything that I can. Most important is that everyone was ok but that is the 2nd truck he has shot in 10 years. Last time he leaned against the bed of his truck to shoot a turkey and blew a hole in the other side of the bed. Maybe older folks need to take hunter safety education TOO!

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Wburke2010] #6534187 11/09/16 03:27 AM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: wburke2010
Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Glad he (and anyone else) is ok.....good reminder....

X2 could have been bad.

Walter

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6534508 11/09/16 05:04 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
IMO, some guys just get a rush from carrying a loaded firearm, even when there's little chance it will be needed.

Another problem with waiting until you get back to your vehicle or camp, is the likelihood of some distraction causing you to forget to unload it. Like the case of a Houston man who shot and accidentally killed himself while removing his shotgun from its case before going to shoot skeet. He had left the gun loaded since hunting season, which ended several months earlier.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6534899 11/09/16 08:29 AM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
More shooting related accidents happen when hunters are around vehicles, than when they are in the woods hunting.

Not once have I heard of a hunter accidentally shooting their deer stand. Vehicles, transmissions, and engine blocks are another matter.

Well, if nobody is around and you do manage to shoot your stand, who is going to know but you? You don't have to fill out insurance, call a wrecker, or tell your spouse about it. We know NDs happen in stands as people sometimes get injured or killed as a result. These are documented.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6534939 11/09/16 11:31 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
More shooting related accidents happen when hunters are around vehicles, than when they are in the woods hunting.

Not once have I heard of a hunter accidentally shooting their deer stand. Vehicles, transmissions, and engine blocks are another matter.

Well, if nobody is around and you do manage to shoot your stand, who is going to know but you? You don't have to fill out insurance, call a wrecker, or tell your spouse about it. We know NDs happen in stands as people sometimes get injured or killed as a result. These are documented.

True.

Still, if you spend a few minutes reviewing the opening summaries of the TPWD Hunting Accident Reports, which are available from the TPWD website, you will see many years when most accidents happened around vehicles, rather than in the woods.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6534954 11/09/16 11:47 AM
A
Age N Score ? Offline
Tracker
Tracker
A
bang Ouch.... I can't tell you how many times I've flipped the safety to shoot and the chamber was empty. I've a big habit of not loading my gun until I'm in the blind. But it has never cost me a deer, as I've managed to put one in the pipe and shoot. Every time it has happened I will laugh at myself for forgetting, but since I hunt alone most of the time I'm extra safe. I'm glad nobody was injured and hopefully a lesson learned for everyone. texas

I Feed Indian Corn. The deer love it and all the colors make them stay at the feeder longer.
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6535253 11/09/16 03:12 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
NO No No!!! It's NEVER an AD!!! It's a freakin ND- Negligent Discharge!!!! An accident is an unplanned, by chance event. A firearm going off unintentional is ALWAYS an ND. As working shooting comps and being around firearms, if a gun goes off unplanned, 99.9% of them are from a finger or something touching the trigger causing it to go off when a round is in the chamber. That is the negligence of the shooter/handler of the firearm, which is an ND.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6535596 11/09/16 05:22 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

True.

Still, if you spend a few minutes reviewing the opening summaries of the TPWD Hunting Accident Reports, which are available from the TPWD website, you will see many years when most accidents happened around vehicles, rather than in the woods.

I have done that. I know the data. If you take a closer look, I believe you will find a lot, if not most of those vehicle-related incidents to be intentional discharges with unintended consequences. I have also spoken with numerous hunters and been with hunters (2) when NDs occurred...none of which were ever reported. Why? Nobody was shot and no insurance claims needed to be filed. What you will notice of the TPWD reports and IHEA reports is that most of the reports only pertain to when injury or death resulted, or when a warden/leo needed to be summoned. MOST NDs happen with no injuries or death and do not necessitate the need for any sort of report filing. So Billy Joe Bob shoots a hole in the top of his plywood box blind. You aren't apt to hear about it. BJB is just going to get some duct tape or a piece of wood, patch the hole, and that will be the end of that. Little Jimmy is squirrel hunting, trips and discharges his .22 into the ground. Nobody will hear about that. Allison props her cocked and unlocked rifle across the antlers of a deer when it slides off and discharges into the woods, hitting a tree. Won't hear about that.

What you are talking about is a significant sampling bias, not necessarily a reality of when NDs occur.

And as Chad pointed out, these are most commonly NDs and not ADs. Gotta agree with that 100%. It may be an accident in that it was unplanned, but if an unintentional discharge occurred due to negligence on the part of the operator, then it is an ND. ADs, such as with the defective Walker trigger system of the Rem 700 rifle system, are much more rare.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6535597 11/09/16 05:22 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
accidental discharge, whoops

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6535632 11/09/16 05:41 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

True.

I have done that. I know the data. If you take a closer look, I believe you will find a lot, if not most of those vehicle-related incidents to be intentional discharges with unintended consequences. I have also spoken with numerous hunters and been with hunters (2) when NDs occurred...none of which were ever reported. Why? Nobody was shot and no insurance claims needed to be filed. What you will notice of the TPWD reports and IHEA reports is that most of the reports only pertain to when injury or death resulted, or when a warden/leo needed to be summoned. MOST NDs happen with no injuries or death and do not necessitate the need for any sort of report filing. So Billy Joe Bob shoots a hole in the top of his plywood box blind. You aren't apt to hear about it. BJB is just going to get some duct tape or a piece of wood, patch the hole, and that will be the end of that. Little Jimmy is squirrel hunting, trips and discharges his .22 into the ground. Nobody will hear about that. Allison props her cocked and unlocked rifle across the antlers of a deer when it slides off and discharges into the woods, hitting a tree. Won't hear about that.

What you are talking about is a significant sampling bias, not necessarily a reality of when NDs occur.

And as Chad pointed out, these are most commonly NDs and not ADs. Gotta agree with that 100%. It may be an accident in that it was unplanned, but if an unintentional discharge occurred due to negligence on the part of the operator, then it is an ND. ADs, such as with the defective Walker trigger system of the Rem 700 rifle system, are much more rare.

There is no denying the fact that if every hunter made it their practice to wait until they are settled in their stand before loading their firearm, and likewise, made sure to unload it as a "first step" before leaving, the number of shooting-related hunting accidents would drop significantly.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Chunky Monkey] #6535660 11/09/16 05:52 PM
W
Wink68 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Ok this just kills me. Why would you wait until you get to where you are hunting to load your weapon. I walk 1/4 mile to my blind. I have seen deer between my truck and blind, hogs too. What good is an unloaded rifle in the field. I call it a club.
My son and I park, get our stuff out, load our rifles and start walking. When we go home, reverse that.
Sorry for the hijack.
Oh yeah, I live in a two truck county with no AR's.

Re: My dad shot his truck opening morning. [Re: Age N Score ?] #6535823 11/09/16 07:28 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Age N Score ?
bang Ouch.... I can't tell you how many times I've flipped the safety to shoot and the chamber was empty. I've a big habit of not loading my gun until I'm in the blind. But it has never cost me a deer, as I've managed to put one in the pipe and shoot. Every time it has happened I will laugh at myself for forgetting, but since I hunt alone most of the time I'm extra safe. I'm glad nobody was injured and hopefully a lesson learned for everyone. texas

The loudest sound in the world..... CLICK

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide