Forum Stats
60446 Members
45 Forums
475837 Topics
6242361 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6532164 - 11/07/16 11:19 PM Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks.
New Hunter Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Houston, Texas
I am fortunate enough to be able to hunt but my options are very limited. With that said, how many of you park and walk in to your tree stand, deer stand, or blind? I noticed many vehicles on the side of the road this weekend at exact entrances into wooded areas and fields. I hunt on a small 11 acre lot and I am thinking of doing the same to minimize my arrival and set up. I can park the truck up the road and walk the rest of the way on to my blind. The truck just makes way too much noise. If I walk in... maybe I can go unnoticed. What do you all do?

#6532191 - 11/08/16 12:25 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Big D
Walk as far a possible but we have some blinds parking 100 yards away is not going to disturb a thing. Just depends. If I had a small place I would for sure park at gate and walk. Our deer run at any vehicle unless it is a tractor. On Sat I decided to park a little further than normal and have no clue if it made a difference but I got my buck. If just remember seeing a deer once where I normally park for that stand so I figured if I stay back a bit I would not disturb that area. There is a road 300 yards from that feeder but downhill and they don't flinch when a farm truck drives by.

One evening some crazy person drove that road honking the whole way and still saw deer.

#6532201 - 11/08/16 04:20 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

It depends on where I am hunting at. I have one stand I park my Ranger 20 yards from the stand. The other stand I have to park about 150 yards away. With both of those I still drive up the stand and put in my gear then use the road feeder to feed the open areas where I want to see the deer. I still have to hustle once I park to get back in the blind before the deer get to the corn most mornings. On another place I have to park about 300 yards away and walk in to the stand. I hand feed corn on the way in at that blind. IMO I would rather use a vehicle to run the deer rather than them seeing or smelling walking in. Then by road feeding the area it is like a dinner bell they hear for 400-500 yards depending on the wind that they and they are heading to that stand as I am settling in.

#6532224 - 11/08/16 05:39 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Being overweight, I never park less than roughly a quarter mile from the stand, not only to get exercise, but because I have seen deer react multiple times to the sound of distant activity from humans. The stand I hunt most often is a half mile from where I always park, no matter if I take my truck or ATV to hunt there.

Spring, Texas

#6532253 - 11/08/16 06:15 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
Deerhunter61 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
I believe it depends on what the deer in your area are accustomed to as to what will work best. I've hunted on a lease of 650 acres in Mason with 8 hunters on it. When we all walked to our stands we saw quite a few deer but after a couple of years or as we got further into the season guys started driving their four wheelers to their stands...and we saw A LOT LESS deer once this happened. So again it depends...

#6532271 - 11/08/16 06:32 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
Western Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I agree, each property will be different, or even each hunt. Parking in a known travel spot, will almost always alter deer movement to a point. If on a new lease, I'd walk as far as I could, but for guys that hunt land they own such as myself, STX and many other people here, doesn't take long to know how your deer will react to different stimuli and what they will tolerate..

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6532308 - 11/08/16 07:00 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
gary75758 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Chandler/Kosse
During season, I restrict all traffic from going into hunting areas, if they are going to hunt they can walk in, been doing it for last 5 seasons and buck sightings have gone way up....nother benefit is family fair weather hunters have quite asking if they can come hunt when they learn they will have to hike a couple miles to the blind banana
texas

#6532555 - 11/08/16 09:08 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
sprigsss Offline
Tracker

Loc: Snyder, TX
Had we just sat in the truck Saturday morning, my son would have tagged a beautiful wide 8 pt. Instead we parked about 400 yards from the stand and walked in. Found the buck's tracks in the wet mud and he walked within 30 yards of the pickup without a care in the world. He closed the distance and got to within 100 yards of us, but was right on property line so we couldn't shoot.

Same exact thing happened last year on our first ever hunt in this particular blind. Buck trotted into cotton field and never offered a good shot. He made it to ridge before pickup and turned perfectly broadside and just stood there for what seemed like forever right infront of the truck. Then he disappeared behind a terrace and we never saw him again.

I think it depends on where you are hunting.

I know if I walk across CRP to get to my stand, I have bumped a lot of bedded down deer before. I've never seen a running deer when I've driven my truck a little closer. When daylight would come, I would still see deer all over the CRP.

I started that little experiment because I would always park 1/2 mile from my blind. Co-workers would hunt my blind when I was out of town. They would park 100 yards from blind in clear view from the feeder, and they always saw bucks from my blind. In fact they have killed 4 deer out of that blind to my 1.

I think anything out of the ordinary may spook them. Apparently they are used to the rancher's pickup truck checking/feeding his cows. But I bet if you came in there with a UTV or 4-wheeler, they would be gone in a hurry.

Edited by sprigsss (11/08/16 09:09 AM)

#6532579 - 11/08/16 09:22 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
smithwr Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Midlothian
Always made me chuckle opening weekend when people would lock me out of pumping my wells. They were just spooking the deer because the deer were used to my truck every single day, then they also wasted their money on a cut lock.

#6532599 - 11/08/16 09:31 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
jsplinter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Copperas Cove
I can see my truck from my tripod. The truck is a 79 F350 with a 400, dual exhaust with glass packs, so it can be considered loud. I have deer walk in 30 minutes after I shut it off and again it is in eye sight, like 100 yards

#6532755 - 11/08/16 10:45 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
I have killed my biggest deer from a high rack out of the back of a pick up. That being said, if I am bow hunting, I park quite a way away but if I am rifle hunting from box blinds, I will park within eye sight of the blind depending on stand location, and that's the key, where your stand is located in relation to where the deer bed, travel, stage, eat, etc....

#6532766 - 11/08/16 10:49 AM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
titan2232 Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Conroe, TX
The deer at our place associate vehicles with food. Whether it be a road feeder or a fill trip for protein and/or corn they get curious when any engine comes along.

#6533096 - 11/08/16 01:30 PM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
Mr. T. Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Fort Worth - Hunt in Eastland ...
With all the rain this past week, I did not have a choice but to park on the side of the road and walk in. I would have gotten stuck before I went two feet.

#6533132 - 11/08/16 01:45 PM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
blazin Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Texas
I walk to all my setups as well. Couple weeks back though I drove to within 60 yards or so of one of the feeders. Oh and we are talking aa 12 valve cummins which is by no means quiet. Walked over to change the camera card and a hog was munching away. Although the deer are way more skittish.

#6533145 - 11/08/16 01:52 PM Re: Park and Walk In...Noisy trucks. [Re: New Hunter]
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

i bought a truck with the same engine as our foreman so the deer won't know a difference.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide