Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... #6530856 11/07/16 05:40 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
The "white deer" thread brought up an important subject all hunters need to be aware of.

It is common assumption that unmarked exotics are fair game to kill without restriction in Texas. That isn't true at all if you are talking about animals under the federally administrated CITES program.

For example, if one of my CITES regulated animals got out last spring through a water gap onto my neighbors ranch and he or one of his leasers killed it they would be liable for a felony if they didn't first obtain a CITES permit.

Since there are many areas in Texas that had water gaps wash out this year it would be prudent for hunters to know a tad more than "it's a white exotic" before pulling the trigger on an animal.

Elds deer, Arabian oryx, barashinga, red lechwe, are just some exotics that covered under the program. Most taxidermists and processors will know and ask for the permit if you bring one in. And by then it's wayyyy too late.

Just an FYI.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6530895 11/07/16 05:53 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip] #6530949 11/07/16 06:13 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

And they can combine several violations to bring the total to a pretty high #.

http://www.gc.noaa.gov/documents/gces/6-ESA/esa_1208.pdf

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip] #6531069 11/07/16 07:27 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6531145 11/07/16 08:06 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

We aren't talking about ownership or permission. We're talking about shooting a federally protected animal.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531175 11/07/16 08:14 PM
R
Rustler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Point is, if you don't know what you're shooting at, don't shoot it.

I don't know if marking requirements applies to CITES also, but killing exotics that are properly identified by the owner aint no cake walk either.

Ag code
Title 6
Sub title B
Chapter 142

Sec. 142.0021 OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip] #6531223 11/07/16 08:36 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Rustler
Point is, if you don't know what you're shooting at, don't shoot it.

I don't know if marking requirements applies to CITES also, but killing exotics that are properly identified by the owner aint no cake walk either.

Ag code
Title 6
Sub title B
Chapter 142

Sec. 142.0021 OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

How do you know?

What am I missing??

We aren't talking about ownership or permission. We're talking about shooting a federally protected animal.

That only applies to some reptiles, fish and amphibians. There are some state regulated, fur bearing, animals but those are only regulated if you are wanting to sell/transfer the hide. Ie CITES

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531231 11/07/16 08:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
4 yrs old but...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/03/nation/la-na-nn-texas-hunting-antelope-20120403
http://www.texas-wildlife.org/images/uploads/Final_Rule_for_Addax,_Dama_Gazelle,_and_Scimitar-Horned_Oryx.pdf

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: stxranchman] #6531275 11/07/16 08:59 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
4 yrs old but...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/03/nation/la-na-nn-texas-hunting-antelope-20120403
http://www.texas-wildlife.org/images/uploads/Final_Rule_for_Addax,_Dama_Gazelle,_and_Scimitar-Horned_Oryx.pdf

That is a different scenario. Those are breeders selling the hunts of endangered species. Texas law allows non-indigenous species to be taken at landowners discretion. At least from what I can find in TPWD sites.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6531371 11/07/16 09:42 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
4 yrs old but...

That is a different scenario. Those are breeders selling the hunts of endangered species. Texas law allows non-indigenous species to be taken at landowners discretion. At least from what I can find in TPWD sites.

If the species is endangered it don't matter where that species lives, it is still endangered no matter what the scenario is. Test the law if you are so inclined to prove your point.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531378 11/07/16 09:46 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Ignorance of the law is not a defense that will hold water in court.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: stxranchman] #6531395 11/07/16 09:59 PM
J
jeffbird Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
4 yrs old but...

If the species is endangered it don't matter where that species lives, it is still endangered no matter what the scenario is. Test the law if you are so inclined to prove your point.

Federal law pre-empts state law under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States.

State law may not prohibit an act, but it still can be illegal under federal law.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531497 11/07/16 10:44 PM
C
ChrisB Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: therancher
The "white deer" thread brought up an important subject all hunters need to be aware of.

It is common assumption that unmarked exotics are fair game to kill without restriction in Texas. That isn't true at all if you are talking about animals under the federally administrated CITES program.

For example, if one of my CITES regulated animals got out last spring through a water gap onto my neighbors ranch and he or one of his leasers killed it they would be liable for a felony if they didn't first obtain a CITES permit.

Since there are many areas in Texas that had water gaps wash out this year it would be prudent for hunters to know a tad more than "it's a white exotic" before pulling the trigger on an animal.

Elds deer, Arabian oryx, barashinga, red lechwe, are just some exotics that covered under the program. Most taxidermists and processors will know and ask for the permit if you bring one in. And by then it's wayyyy too late.

Just an FYI.

Why don't you name all species and post some pictures of each if you wish to educate us?

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531608 11/07/16 11:35 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I am kind of Las Vegas. What happens here stays here.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: ChrisB] #6531690 11/08/16 12:19 AM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: ChrisB

Just an FYI.

Why don't you name all species and post some pictures of each if you wish to educate us?

He did on the original post

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531770 11/08/16 01:00 AM
H
hkmp5s Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Anyone know of a comprehensive list of animals that are protected?

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: hkmp5s] #6531786 11/08/16 01:05 AM
RedSnake Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: hkmp5s
Anyone know of a comprehensive list of animals that are protected?

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531792 11/08/16 01:08 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
There are protected animals that require a CITES tag, and then there are flat illegal to hunt anytime animals, EG dangerous game

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6531896 11/08/16 02:02 AM
D
decook Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
D
I looked it up. Good luck going through it. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if a whitetail deer and feral hog show up on this list.

North America CITES

Press [Linked Image] for an AMERICAN.
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6532160 11/08/16 05:09 AM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
4 yrs old but...

Those three species got de-listed thanks to a joint effort from EWA and SCI. But yes, for a couple of years "friends of animals" got those three listed under cites.

And pegasaurus you are wrong. But I won't waste time arguing with you.

For those wanting a comprehensive list, I don't have a condensed version. I think for hunters sake it would be good to look at game species only, but if that list exists I haven't seen it.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6532183 11/08/16 06:05 AM
J
John Humbert Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
Actually, I think Dama, Scimitar, and Addax were ALWAYS on the CITIES list - it was just that they were granted an exemption for many years. The FOA folks got the exemption repealed for a couple of years - but now the exemption is back in place.

Funny though - when the drought was on and there were deals, four of us went on a Scimitar hunt. Three of us took oryx, but I don't remember getting any paperwork for them - and the taxidermists that did them never asked.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6532285 11/08/16 12:44 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
4 yrs old but...

Those three species got de-listed thanks to a joint effort from EWA and SCI. But yes, for a couple of years "friends of animals" got those three listed under cites.

And pegasaurus you are wrong. But I won't waste time arguing with you.

For those wanting a comprehensive list, I don't have a condensed version. I think for hunters sake it would be good to look at game species only, but if that list exists I haven't seen it.

What am I wrong about? The TPWD Outdoor Annual states that about non indigenous species as well as other publications on their site.
I am not trying to argue, I am trying to understand and learn. So, if you are so knowledgeable then please share and educate me. I am not talkIng about what Pappy or Uncle Elmer might have told you at deer camp but documentation or publication that can be read and understood.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus] #6532318 11/08/16 01:05 PM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

What am I wrong about? The TPWD Outdoor Annual states that about non indigenous species as well as other publications on their site.
I am not trying to argue, I am trying to understand and learn. So, if you are so knowledgeable then please share and educate me. I am not talkIng about what Pappy or Uncle Elmer might have told you at deer camp but documentation or publication that can be read and understood.

Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: John Humbert] #6532359 11/08/16 01:28 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Actually, I think Dama, Scimitar, and Addax were ALWAYS on the CITIES list - it was just that they were granted an exemption for many years. The FOA folks got the exemption repealed for a couple of years - but now the exemption is back in place.

Funny though - when the drought was on and there were deals, four of us went on a Scimitar hunt. Three of us took oryx, but I don't remember getting any paperwork for them - and the taxidermists that did them never asked.

You can get away with robbing a bank as well. Doesn't make it legal or without risk. But, since I haven't gotten cites permits for my animals since I am still building my herds, I'm not sure if there is a tag that goes with the animal, or if it is just a permit that the lamdowner has to have on site granting him/her permission to kill. Brings up a good question I'll research it.

Last edited by therancher; 11/08/16 01:34 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher] #6532392 11/08/16 01:46 PM
T
therancher Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
T
In order to kill one of my Arabians I have to prove that I need to replace a bull for genetic diversity or prove that I need to prove I have a certain number of animals and then I can only kill a certain %.

I can live sell any and all of them.

I don't believe they can cross state lines legally either dead or alive.

Crotchety old bastidge
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide