Forum Stats
60412 Members
45 Forums
475564 Topics
6238609 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#6530856 - 11/07/16 11:40 AM PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics...
therancher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
The "white deer" thread brought up an important subject all hunters need to be aware of.

It is common assumption that unmarked exotics are fair game to kill without restriction in Texas. That isn't true at all if you are talking about animals under the federally administrated CITES program.

For example, if one of my CITES regulated animals got out last spring through a water gap onto my neighbors ranch and he or one of his leasers killed it they would be liable for a felony if they didn't first obtain a CITES permit.

Since there are many areas in Texas that had water gaps wash out this year it would be prudent for hunters to know a tad more than "it's a white exotic" before pulling the trigger on an animal.

Elds deer, Arabian oryx, barashinga, red lechwe, are just some exotics that covered under the program. Most taxidermists and processors will know and ask for the permit if you bring one in. And by then it's wayyyy too late.

Just an FYI.
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6530895 - 11/07/16 11:53 AM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

#6530949 - 11/07/16 12:13 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip]
therancher Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Mountain Home, Uvalde, and Big...
Originally Posted By: TexFlip
I've had this conversation before and people are stuborn. Most I've talked to are in the "I'm not a biologist so if there's an exotic on my place, shame on it" mindset. I tell them their mindset will change when they're slapped with a fine for shooting a CITES animal.

And they can combine several violations to bring the total to a pretty high #.

http://www.gc.noaa.gov/documents/gces/6-ESA/esa_1208.pdf
"I cant wait to see if he plays this week, and if he does if he can actually break 50 percent completion ratio. Haha or maybe even throw for 200 yards. Possibly break a QB rating of 75." - Texas Tatonka
www.bigironranchadventures.com

#6531069 - 11/07/16 01:27 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip]
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: South Denton County

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

#6531145 - 11/07/16 02:06 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

How do you know?
What is the difference in an exotic that escaped a high fence and one that has been living "wild".

The TPWD documents don't seem to differentiate. They only say that as long as the landowner where the animal is present gives permission then it is legal.

What am I missing??

We aren't talking about ownership or permission. We're talking about shooting a federally protected animal.

#6531175 - 11/07/16 02:14 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
Rustler Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Carrollton/ Young, Blanco coun...
Point is, if you don't know what you're shooting at, don't shoot it.

I don't know if marking requirements applies to CITES also, but killing exotics that are properly identified by the owner aint no cake walk either.

Ag code
Title 6
Sub title B
Chapter 142

Sec. 142.0021 OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

#6531223 - 11/07/16 02:36 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: TexFlip]
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: Rustler
Point is, if you don't know what you're shooting at, don't shoot it.

I don't know if marking requirements applies to CITES also, but killing exotics that are properly identified by the owner aint no cake walk either.

Ag code
Title 6
Sub title B
Chapter 142

Sec. 142.0021 OWNERSHIP OF EXOTIC WILDLIFE AND FOWL. A person may claim to be the owner of exotic livestock or exotic fowl under this chapter only if the animal is tagged, branded, banded, or marked in another conspicuous manner that can be read or identified from a long distance and that identifies the animal as being the property of the claimant.

How do you know?

What am I missing??

We aren't talking about ownership or permission. We're talking about shooting a federally protected animal.

That only applies to some reptiles, fish and amphibians. There are some state regulated, fur bearing, animals but those are only regulated if you are wanting to sell/transfer the hide. Ie CITES

#6531231 - 11/07/16 02:42 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

4 yrs old but...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/03/nation/la-na-nn-texas-hunting-antelope-20120403
http://www.texas-wildlife.org/images/uploads/Final_Rule_for_Addax,_Dama_Gazelle,_and_Scimitar-Horned_Oryx.pdf

#6531275 - 11/07/16 02:59 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: stxranchman]
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
4 yrs old but...
http://articles.latimes.com/2012/apr/03/nation/la-na-nn-texas-hunting-antelope-20120403
http://www.texas-wildlife.org/images/uploads/Final_Rule_for_Addax,_Dama_Gazelle,_and_Scimitar-Horned_Oryx.pdf

That is a different scenario. Those are breeders selling the hunts of endangered species. Texas law allows non-indigenous species to be taken at landowners discretion. At least from what I can find in TPWD sites.

#6531371 - 11/07/16 03:42 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: pegasaurus]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

4 yrs old but...

That is a different scenario. Those are breeders selling the hunts of endangered species. Texas law allows non-indigenous species to be taken at landowners discretion. At least from what I can find in TPWD sites.

If the species is endangered it don't matter where that species lives, it is still endangered no matter what the scenario is. Test the law if you are so inclined to prove your point.

#6531378 - 11/07/16 03:46 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Ignorance of the law is not a defense that will hold water in court.

#6531395 - 11/07/16 03:59 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: stxranchman]
jeffbird Online   content

4 yrs old but...

If the species is endangered it don't matter where that species lives, it is still endangered no matter what the scenario is. Test the law if you are so inclined to prove your point.

Federal law pre-empts state law under the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States.

State law may not prohibit an act, but it still can be illegal under federal law.

#6531497 - 11/07/16 04:44 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
ChrisB Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Prosper , TX
Originally Posted By: therancher
The "white deer" thread brought up an important subject all hunters need to be aware of.

It is common assumption that unmarked exotics are fair game to kill without restriction in Texas. That isn't true at all if you are talking about animals under the federally administrated CITES program.

For example, if one of my CITES regulated animals got out last spring through a water gap onto my neighbors ranch and he or one of his leasers killed it they would be liable for a felony if they didn't first obtain a CITES permit.

Since there are many areas in Texas that had water gaps wash out this year it would be prudent for hunters to know a tad more than "it's a white exotic" before pulling the trigger on an animal.

Elds deer, Arabian oryx, barashinga, red lechwe, are just some exotics that covered under the program. Most taxidermists and processors will know and ask for the permit if you bring one in. And by then it's wayyyy too late.

Just an FYI.

Why don't you name all species and post some pictures of each if you wish to educate us?

#6531608 - 11/07/16 05:35 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: therancher]
don k Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Bandera, Tx
I am kind of Las Vegas. What happens here stays here.

#6531690 - 11/07/16 06:19 PM Re: PSA. Careful shooting stray exotics... [Re: ChrisB]
sparrish8 Online   content
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: ChrisB
Originally Posted By: therancher

Just an FYI.

Why don't you name all species and post some pictures of each if you wish to educate us?

He did on the original post

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide