Page 1 of 2 1 2
Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. #6530325 11/07/16 01:49 PM
D
Davezerg Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
So I shot a buck at about 75 yards with a 30-06 using iron sights. I saw him do a little jump and run off in the direction he was traveling. I waited a while and went to check it out, but I couldn't find a single drop of blood or hairs. I missed? Gun is pretty accurate and so am I, especially at that range. Did have a bit of buck fever though. That ever happen to anyone?

Like a good friend used to say, hope is the last thing that dies!
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530354 11/07/16 02:02 PM
D
DPirates80 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
I have never used iron sites on a rifle to hunt deer with. I guess the buck fever could've possibly messed with your shot. I get to shaking sometimes too and I have to calm my self before I fire, but my scope and 25-06 has done the job everytime.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530391 11/07/16 02:20 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Even a cheap scope is better than iron sites. It take it as a learning experience and go invest in some glass for that 30-06.

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530414 11/07/16 02:27 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Nothing wrong with iron sights. I use them on a muzzle loader, lever gun, slug gun, pistol and a bow has a form of them if you will.

Practice makes perfect, and I have found after years of hunting that a lot of times animals will not react to a shot and they don't all start spurting blood right away. Give it a few, get some marks when he is running away and go look for blood at impact if noting give it 20-30 minutes and then look a little further.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530422 11/07/16 02:33 PM
B
BMag Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I messed up a couple years ago and bought ammo for tough skinned animals for my 30-06. They don't leave a blood trail on whitetail deer. I have used them on 4 different deer now. 3 of the 4 ran with no blood trail, the other was a neck shot. All 3 that ran were perfect heart shots and the deer only ran 20 to 30 yards. Start making circles in the direction he ran.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530447 11/07/16 02:39 PM
C
cameron00 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
C
Originally Posted By: Davezerg
So I shot a buck at about 75 yards with a 30-06 using iron sights. I saw him do a little jump and run off in the direction he was traveling. I waited a while and went to check it out, but I couldn't find a single drop of blood or hairs. I missed? Gun is pretty accurate and so am I, especially at that range. Did have a bit of buck fever though. That ever happen to anyone?

If he jumped at all, you either hit him or the bullet whizzed close enough to him that he felt it. They don't jump from the noise. At least in my experience.

Now, you may have just grazed him and it felt like a horsefly bite. Not saying he's dead or there's even anything to follow, but any time they actually jump, something made them.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530452 11/07/16 02:42 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I think the title should more read, "Shot at a Buck not sure if hit or not". Do concentric circles in the direction you shot and believe he ran to. Try to locate the actual location the first shot was taken at and move from there using hat/s or tape to mark trees where blood found, etc. Go out 50-100 yards and you'll likely have your answer if you hit or not..

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530507 11/07/16 03:03 PM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
How well did you check the area and for how long did you look for sign or the deer? I have killed deer that did not leave a blood trail at all. Found them by just continually walking trails.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530553 11/07/16 03:18 PM
Woodsman
Woodsman
Using iron sights to shoot a deer at 75 yards is not a good choice.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530567 11/07/16 03:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Hunters have different definitions when it comes to looking for a deer. While some might look for five minutes or less, others will say you haven't looked at all if you haven't spent at least an hour.

I shot a doe this weekend that broke every rule in the book for how they react when hit with a bullet. She kicked her hind legs like a gut shot, then turned and ran back from the way she came, jumping once as if she hadn't been hit at all. I found her on my circle back about 20 yards from where she stood at the time of the shot. It was a clean, heart and lung shot.

I would challenge anyone who says their hit deer always crumble without taking a step. All deer are different just like all shots are different. Some might crumble immediately, while others might run some distance with just the blood left in their veins.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530575 11/07/16 03:32 PM
S
Savage243 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
Texas Dan nailed it.

I have had very few deer just drop dead on the spot. Most will make it 20-50 yards from where they were shot before expiring. I shot a buck opening morning, it was a heart shot that broke his front leg and he made it 40 yards and left no blood trail whatsoever. He casually trotted off after being hit.

Then again I have had double lung hits and a blood trail that looks like they were shot with a broad head.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: BMag] #6530630 11/07/16 03:58 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: BMag
I messed up a couple years ago and bought ammo for tough skinned animals for my 30-06. They don't leave a blood trail on whitetail deer. I have used them on 4 different deer now. 3 of the 4 ran with no blood trail, the other was a neck shot. All 3 that ran were perfect heart shots and the deer only ran 20 to 30 yards. Start making circles in the direction he ran.

Please explain.. confused2

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: pegasaurus] #6530638 11/07/16 04:03 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

He read the silver Winchester box that said tough skinned animals lol

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530639 11/07/16 04:04 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
No two deer I have ever shot has reacted the same.
I have seen a doe shot head on in the chest with a 30.06 at 75 yards run for 300 yards.
I have see a big bodied mature buck shot in the shoulder with a .243 at 90 yards drop like a rock and never move.

You just never know what they are going to do.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Navasot] #6530644 11/07/16 04:05 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Navasot
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus

He read the silver Winchester box that said tough skinned animals lol

Must have been bought at Sears... rofl

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530663 11/07/16 04:14 PM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Deer I shot Sat with my 30.06 in the boiler maker ran 30 or 40 yards. Not a drop of blood at impact or where he fell. Same with the last few deer and hogs. I might change bullets but who knows. If it exits high you won't have blood like a low exit point. Luckily I have not relied on a blood trail as they are all dead within 50 yards except a pig or two who made it 100.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530664 11/07/16 04:14 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
Might need to take another look around, depending on how much time you spent yesterday. I have shot deer and never saw a single drop of blood on the ground near area of impact, but was confident with my shot...searched around, and eventually found the deer down. Done the same for friends that swore they hit one, and then they went to the spot where the deer was and didn't find blood and "thought" they must have missed it. I'll show up, and after a continued search, we find their deer. They think I'm a magic tracker (who am I to try to tell them otherwise, right? grin ). truth is, I just spent a little more time searching than they did and I found their deer down. If you feel confident with your shot, and saw a good hit type reaction, I'd say your deer might be one the ground.

If I think I've hit a deer, I'll spend a LONG time looking for it. My two cents.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: ] #6530678 11/07/16 04:18 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted By: deftsound
Using iron sights to shoot a deer at 75 yards is not a good choice.

I disagree. I have not used a scoped rifle in three years. I have been on a kick with the traditional lever action lately. I have had venison in the freezer all three years, with my longest shot being 110 yards. Zero misses, zero lost deer. I will admit, I have passed up a lot of shots that I would not have passed on with a scoped rifle, but 75 yards is not one I would pass on.

To the OP, sounds like you hit him. Hope you find him.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530683 11/07/16 04:21 PM
H
Hunter3007 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
H
I shot one last year took me 2,hours no blood trail the only trail was a broken tree branch follwed by broken cactus found him 50 yds into the brush with a heart shot. Found him in the opposite side of sendero where he had ran into

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6530686 11/07/16 04:23 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: George - w/ Map My Ranch
Might need to take another look around, depending on how much time you spent yesterday. I have shot deer and never saw a single drop of blood on the ground near area of impact, but was confident with my shot...searched around, and eventually found the deer down. Done the same for friends that swore they hit one, and then they went to the spot where the deer was and didn't find blood and "thought" they must have missed it. I'll show up, and after a continued search, we find their deer. They think I'm a magic tracker (who am I to try to tell them otherwise, right? grin ). truth is, I just spent a little more time searching than they did and I found their deer down. If you feel confident with your shot, and saw a good hit type reaction, I'd say your deer might be one the ground.

If I think I've hit a deer, I'll spend a LONG time looking for it. My two cents.

The time spent looking for a deer is often based on the confidence of the shooter. And IMO, those who spend time practicing with their firearm are far more likely to spend more time looking for a deer after taking a shot. Having invested their time to become better shooters, they're not as quick to throw in the towel. The one who spends many hours at the range, will often be the one who does likewise looking for their deer.

Sadly, it's the ones who fire just one or two practice shots a year that are often the ones who spend little time looking. Nothing invested, nothing lost.

One thing is certain - The buzzards never miss finding them.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530756 11/07/16 04:56 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
It sounds like you either hit or buzzed him either way keep looking so you'll know for sure. Go back during daylight and look for buzzards. Yes I've missed and so has everyone else just some won't admit to it. Iron sites are fine at that distance. You hunt how you want to hunt but the potential of that caliber has so much more to offer if you scope that rifle.

Good luck.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Sirrah243] #6530822 11/07/16 05:26 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: Sirrah243
Yes I've missed and so has everyone else just some won't admit to it. Iron sites are fine at that distance.

Absolutely. The difference is those willing to put forth the painstaking effort to ensure to themselves that it wasn't a hit.

I spent three hours looking for my last un-retrieved deer.

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Davezerg] #6530854 11/07/16 05:38 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Never said that I haven't missed. I said that I haven't missed in the last three years. Just wanted to clarify. aim

Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: unclebubba] #6530926 11/07/16 06:03 PM
T
therancher Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
I'd bet money he's hit. Probably a fatal wound. I can't find it now but I once read a study that claimed ~ 60% of deer shot with rifles don't show discernable blood or hair near the point of impact.

I know from personal experience with many hunters that that % isn't far off. Many bullets today are designed to spend their energy inside the animal and therefore lodge in or near the opposite side skin leaving no exit wound. In that case you are depending on blood filling the chest cavity to the level of the entrance wound (that can easily close with fat), or blood to come out of the deers mouth. Both might not happen for many yards and at the end of his flight.

Last edited by therancher; 11/07/16 06:04 PM.

Crotchety old bastidge
Re: Shot a buck.. Deer reaction when hit.. [Re: Texas Dan] #6530941 11/07/16 06:10 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Hunters have different definitions when it comes to looking for a deer. While some might look for five minutes or less, others will say you haven't looked at all if you haven't spent at least an hour.

I shot a doe this weekend that broke every rule in the book for how they react when hit with a bullet. She kicked her hind legs like a gut shot, then turned and ran back from the way she came, jumping once as if she hadn't been hit at all. I found her on my circle back about 20 yards from where she stood at the time of the shot. It was a clean, heart and lung shot.

I would challenge anyone who says their hit deer always crumble without taking a step. All deer are different just like all shots are different. Some might crumble immediately, while others might run some distance with just the blood left in their veins.

Fully agree with all of this. I've seen heart/lung fall where shot, and I've seen them run 100-200 yards. I shot a buck twice in the shoulder, fully destroyed heart/lungs, and he made 150 yards of dirt and 20 yards of water before dying in the middle of a stock tank. Not a large deer, dressed 95 or so. Shot a doe one day from the truck, she ran off like nothing, dad says 'you missed' and all of a sudden she falls over in the middle of a field 200 yards further out.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide