Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Rattling. Questions #6528485 11/06/16 03:14 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Saw sappers post earlier, so i Will pose the question.

I have some of those synthetic antlers. I banged them together, but dont know wtf im doing. Please help

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6528572 11/06/16 10:12 AM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
RT, you want to sound like 2 bucks fighting over a hot doe, Sharp hit together, then a good meshing of the points, you can stomp the ground, rake brush, but I usually just use the antlers. It isn't a constant banging them together, bucks will do that, but most of the time they are pushing and pulling, so try to imitate what you have heard them do in real time. Probably a few videos online nowadays that may explain it better.

I havent used antlers in some time, I bought a "rattle box" 15 years ago and it has worked great.

Keep a sharp eye, bucks could come from anywhere, but special attention downwind of your set.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6528582 11/06/16 10:39 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Rattling is all about timing and using the right amount or "type" of rattling at the right time. Bucks react differently to rattling depending on the stage of the rut. For me the best time is the week before the peak of the rut. Then about a few days after the peak. You need a decent buck to do ratio but can you can still rattle in bucks no matter what the ratio is. They all react different to how aggressive they come into rattling. Some will sneak in, some will charge in, some will only move when you rattle and then stop when you stop and some will trot in slowly being while others might be very cautious. For me I will rattle if I see bucks up and moving or "cruising" checking new territory or for does. If two bucks are fighting they are not playing but trying to kill each other so don't be timid with your rattling if they are moving in quickly. Some fights last a long time while others are only a few seconds. Other times they move in slowly and it might take 7 or 10 or 15 or even 30 minutes to appear. Many older bucks will stall out if you have other younger bucks in close if your timing(for the rut) is off just a bit. Best to rattle in pairs with the rattler separated from the shooter. Use the wind to your advantage knowing bucks will try to circle downwind from you. So put some open cover downwind if possible to give you the opportunity to see them first. When they are moving in quickly or aggressively there is no better hunting experience than to rattle in 8-12 bucks in a few short minutes. Picking you location to rattle is almost as important as the timing. I prefer real antlers for rattling but fake or synthetic ones will work. Don't over rattle by rattling aggressively and to much to early. Don't be timid or shy with your rattling either, experiment and remember what worked or did not work along with the timing as to the rut. I have rattled with does in front of me and they only lifted their heads to see what the commotion was then went back to feeding. It is all about timing and adjusting how you rattle with what the deer are doing. I have rattled from a blind with success but the most success was to get into a travel corridor or feed/food plot or travel area close to a buck bedding area. Weather is important also, cold/drizzly/misty days with temps in the upper 30's to mid 40's was always my favorite. The less wind the better, so the sound carries. You will be amazed at how a buck can pinpoint your exact spot just from a rattle or two. I always use a grunt tube when rattling also. Just remember you are imitating a fight and how aggressive the fight will be is the time of the year. So don't be afraid to rattle and make some noise. To bucks fighting are noisy and running over or into brush, trees limbs or rocks. If what you are doing does not work in one location does not mean it won't work 1/4 mile away in a different location.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6528587 11/06/16 10:43 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great advice. Thank you

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6528978 11/06/16 06:03 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I use to rattle softly bc I was scared I would scare off the non dominant bucks but when you think about it who cares if you scare some young small bucks away bc the goal is to get a big mature buck to respond. I usually start out with 1 minute of rattling then I'll do a couple grunts wait a couple minutes then another minute of rattling. Then I start looking for movement with the binos at the ready. You have to be ready bc like ranchman said sometimes they come in running looking for a fight, sometimes they hold up in cover, and sometimes they show up 15 or so min later. One piece of advice I'd give you is to always check your downwind side bc many mature bucks will circle downwind unless you just get one in the right mood ready for a fight. Last year I got out of the. Kind rattled hard for two minutes stomping the ground kicking bushes and a spike came in on a sprint from over 300 yds away. I have no idea what he thought he was gonna do if he found what he thought he heard haha

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: SapperTitan] #6529030 11/06/16 07:01 PM
S
sqiggy Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I have seen 2 bucks tie up one time. What I learned from that is you're not going to be able to hit the horns hard enough!!! grin

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529069 11/06/16 07:37 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Roll tide, I bought some of those synthetic ones last year and in my opinion they sound horrible. I then bought a rattle bag and like the sound of that a lot more. Thanks to my stepdad I now have a set of antlers to use and will use either those or the rattle bag. You can buy real antlers if you don't have a set already but they are pretty expensive.

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529074 11/06/16 07:40 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I've rattled deer in with synthetic antlers, real antlers, and some other rattling synthetic device not even sure of the name haha

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529081 11/06/16 07:45 PM
J
jsplinter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
You have more experience and confidence In rattling than me. I have to go with what I feel confident in. To me the difference is significant in sound

Last edited by jsplinter; 11/06/16 07:46 PM.

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: jsplinter] #6529090 11/06/16 07:51 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: jsplinter
You have more experience and confidence In rattling than me. I have to go with what I feel confident in. To me the difference is significant in sound
I agree they all sound different but I don't think that's as important as we think it prob is. I think a buck in the right mood would come to inspect just about anything that sounds like other bucks fighting. I also agree you should use what you feel most comfortable with.

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529194 11/06/16 09:14 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Great stuff guys. Thanks. I tried today with no results. But i did fall asleep for a shorr time.

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529224 11/06/16 09:28 PM
H
huntingbig8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
All about timing, Shacky and I and another hunter just put in a day and a half of the best rattling ever. We had over 40 bucks respond killing 2 that will be 150 ish. The weather was perfect, cool and cloudy, not quite in "lock-down" yet.

Re: Rattling. Questions [Re: Roll-Tide] #6529756 11/07/16 01:45 AM
B
bfrog5 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
good advice ranchman!

Jesus is Lord!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide