Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6522459 11/02/16 12:19 AM
W
White Falcon Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
W
Liberty, manual dial! No need to change batteries!

Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6522542 11/02/16 12:53 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
MY safe has an electronic lock, and in fact the lock failed about three months after I bought the safe. That was seven or eight years ago and it hasn't given me any trouble since. I did have to replace the battery once to LOCK the darned thing just before we left the house one afternoon, and I was in a rush so it was a real inconvenience.

I have read that when there is a fire, the fireproofing insulation gives off a lot of moisture during intense heating. So, if there IS a fire, you wanna get your guns out of there ASAP, right? If the danged lock is destroyed, it could be several days before you can get the darned safe open...and I do NOT like that idea. I'm thinking I want to convert to a mechanical lock.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6522594 11/02/16 01:17 AM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Buzzsaw] #6522630 11/02/16 01:33 AM
J
jeepercreeper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
EMP??? really???

i'm coming to your house, we goin fat tire mountain bike riding

With Trump, Twitter, and Nuke Codes anything can happen eek

In all seriousness, Liberty believed it was worthwhile to produce EMP resistant locks. Maybe its marketing hype but its a real thing

http://www.libertysafe.com/titan-locks-now-emp-resistant-lm-74-p-2924.html

Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6523012 11/02/16 12:12 PM
topwater13 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
I really like my superior safe from the safe co. in Garland. They quickly talked me out of the electronic dial. The two tone finish is nice as well. Made in Utah I believe.

Last edited by topwater13; 11/02/16 12:13 PM.
Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6524302 11/03/16 12:04 AM
M
Mickey Moose Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Vaults are the only way to go. And *the* vault door to get is http://www.brownsafe.com/monument-vault-door/index.html.

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6524345 11/03/16 12:20 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Had a Winchester with manual lock for years and hated it. The combination was very long and the lock was finicky. Finally outgrew it and got a Cannon with electronic lock. If the battery goes out you just replace it and the same combination works. Battery is replaced from the outside. Totally agree that you need to take the number of firearms you own and buy a safe with twice or three times the stated capacity.

When I bought my safe I did a lot of looking. Found a company on Craiglist out of Garland. They use an incredible dolly that enables them to maneuver the safe in incredibly tight space. They also bolted the safe to the floor.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: WileyCoyote] #6524546 11/03/16 01:49 AM
H
huntwest Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted By: WileyCoyote
Somewhere in my wandering around the 'net looking for info on gun safe's I acame across 2 -3 tidbits of info on how safes are broken into, and had one of these confirmed by a local dealer...

** I am not selling or working for any safe company or gun dealer, and these are strictly what I remember from several months of trolling hunting/shooting websites looking for info on gun safes, and not my personal experiences.

1. Drill out the plastic key pad which gives you easy access to drill into the exposed locking mechanism - a Reason the S&G dial lock is better than a key pad, but still a weak spot...Security Products safe uses an interior work hardening steel plate over the 2 key locks that are recessed and turned sideways completely protected from pry bars and drilling...

2. Turn the safe on it's back and get the largest pry bar you can find and pry the front door open from any slack spot you can find in the fit of the door to the frame or beat it hard enough open with sledge or powered jack hammer 'cause the locking mechanism is out of alingment in any other position except standing - solutions include ALWAYS bolt the safe into a concrete floor so it cannot be turned over...which should be done on any standing safe.

3. And the one issue my local dealer always mentions as the most common and fastest entry it seems...take a powered saw or torch and cut BEHIND the front hinges and door off the safe's body where it sits ... and sez thats why he suggests the safe brand I mentioned because of their innovative designs.

FWIW Last time this subject came up, and the name Security Products was discussed with some of the design features, a THF'er from Oklahoma reported that there is a similar Safe Company in Oklahoma that uses some of the same features....so I would guess that these features are not a patented design, but jus a case of superior desing & workmanship being recognized by another company willing to put the added value in their product too. Might be worth checking out too.
Ron

You have a couple things correct. A lot of safe companies do not put hardened steel plates behind the locks and can be drilled. I can even tell you which ones do but do not feel like arguing it's a bunch of people on here.
There are several companies that put hardened steel behind electronic locks and they can't be drilled with any common bit. Winchester, most Liberty, Browning.

A good safe cannot be pried open period. The door can be destroyed but not pried. there a couple of reasons for this. Safes with steel bolts that have at least two locking bolts on each side of the safe that recess at least 3 inches and with a tight tolerance double recessed door can't be pried. A lot of safe companies and dealers will tell you that a 12 or10 ga. Flat steel door is the strongest but it is also the easiest to get that pry bar under. F that safe has 8 to 12 locking bolts it still probably can't be pried.
As far as cutting in the door is usually if not always the hardest place on a safe to penetrate. Since the surfaces that are non door are usually made from 14 or 12 ga steel the back is the most vulnerable point. It can be cut into and peeled back pretty easily. That is why you need to bolt your safe down.
When looking at a safe look for UL listed components. Most companies use UL locks but look and make sure the door and body are UL listed. Believe it or not that narrows things down a lot. All of the UL ratings should be listed inside the door.

Re: Gun Safe Opinions Needed [Re: Creedmoor] #6524567 11/03/16 01:58 AM
B
bigjoe8565 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
I have a Winchester that is a 36 gun capacity and it only hold about half of that. I like the safe, but I'm going to upgrade. I looked at the Browning Hell's Canyon safe this weekend and it looks really nice.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide