Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6522286 11/01/16 11:01 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
You all are impressive. Takes me about 10 minutes if I am focused.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: redchevy] #6522298 11/01/16 11:07 PM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
Originally Posted By: redchevy
Originally Posted By: txshntr
I do basically the same thing but in a different order and everything with a buck knife.

I start at the base of the breast plate, turn the blade sideways and slip it toward the head. I cut up the rib cage to the neck, then turn around and lift the belly skin. From there, I "unzip" it down to the pelvis, cut the small meaty membrane until I hit bone and split the hind quarters. I find the ridge and slide the knife in, break toward the rear...re-insert and break it forward. Cut the esophagus and pull it all out at once.

On average, I clean around 20-30 deer a year and in the past cleaned more. Not sure what the average time is but they timed my father and I one time and I won at 47 seconds to his 52 seconds. I would guess around a minute on average though.

That's how I do it. Pretty sure it takes me longer than a minute but surely less than 5. Ive never gutted for speed, I value my fingers and meat with minimal hair guts and piss on it too much to try to race.

Wasn't a race as we didn't know we were being timed, but thanks for being condescending. We had 7 deer to clean and we had started the first deer at the same time and weren't told we were timed until after it was done. But, if you are wondering if I clean well, keep the meat clean from guts and piss, or have all my fingers...well, you will just have to take my word for it ace up

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: stxranchman] #6522366 11/01/16 11:34 PM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted By: stxranchman
When I gut a deer I start by cutting the hocks to hang the deer later. I have the deer on its back and then start at the pelvis by cutting thru the hide/meat to the bone. I cut a small slit into the cavity where the intestine are at. I use the gut hook to cut from the pelvic bone all the way up to the brisket or all the way to neck(if a doe). I take the lopping shears and cut the "H" bone. Then put one of my feet on the deers hind legs to hold them down. I grab the tail and pull upward to break the pelvic bone to open up the area to remove the guts.If it is a doe I then take my knife and rip open the ribcage to the brisket. I take my knife and cut the diaphragm in between vitals and abdominal cavity. I reach in a grab the windpipe/juggler vein above the heart and cut it with the knife. I then pull and cut the whole vitals/guts out thru the pelvic bone. It took me longer to write this than it takes to gut a deer for me. I used to gut a doe in about 60 seconds when I was doing 4-10 at time a few years back. The right tools/equipment and you can gut a deer in short order.

This is exactly how I do mine except for cutting the hocks, ( I hang mine by the neck or horns to skin.) I also haven't ever used the loppers on the pelvic bone, but am going to try it. Maybe that's why I thought I was fast gutting a deer in 2 minutes. Maybe I needed the loppers because splitting the pelvic with a knife takes the most time if you don't dead center it. I didn't think anyone could teach me anything about gutting a deer but I may have learned something.

Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6522481 11/02/16 12:28 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
For those of you who are pressed for time and do not have the one minute it takes to gut a deer, maybe this will help you get the tenderloins out without gutting. They are where the ribs are short, so holding the insides away while you reach in and cut out them out is pretty simple. On younger deer a knife isn't even needed, you can work them loose with just your fingers.
I really think it is faster, and you get more of the tenderloins by gutting the deer, then removing the tenderloins completely and easily.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: pegasaurus] #6522840 11/02/16 03:48 AM
V
vanguard Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
V
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Have you ever used a rack for processing versus hanging??
One of these..,
[video:youtube]a8tSxdv7fCc[/video]

Ive been saying im gonna build one of these for years, never got around to it. my biggest issue when gutting is getting through the rib cage, i want this rack to be sitting right next to my winch, do my initial skin cuts on the rack, run through the breast bone either with a cordless sawzall or a meat saw then hoist up to finish gutting and skinning. when gutting i always end up with all the guts hanging in my way on my arm as im trying to get through the breast bone, thats why i want the rack, get through the breast bone first.

Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: Roll-Tide] #6523381 11/02/16 03:16 PM
C
Chief Wood Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
I gut mine as soon as I can. Then hang it, skin and quarter it and get it on ice as soon as I can.

Boiler Technician Second Class 1985-2003
Utilitiesman Chief Petty Officer(SCW)2001-2014
Retired USN Seabees
USS Knox FF-1052 86-88
USS Jouett CG-29 88-01
NMCB22/NMCB24 01-14
Desert Shield
OIF 05-06 09-10
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: vanguard] #6523384 11/02/16 03:17 PM
C
Chief Wood Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
C
good for gutting for sure

Boiler Technician Second Class 1985-2003
Utilitiesman Chief Petty Officer(SCW)2001-2014
Retired USN Seabees
USS Knox FF-1052 86-88
USS Jouett CG-29 88-01
NMCB22/NMCB24 01-14
Desert Shield
OIF 05-06 09-10
Re: Deer gutting talk. [Re: vanguard] #6523832 11/02/16 07:29 PM
W
Weegs Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
Originally Posted by vanguard
Originally Posted by pegasaurus
Have you ever used a rack for processing versus hanging??
One of these..,
[video:youtube]a8tSxdv7fCc[/video]

Ive been saying im gonna build one of these for years, never got around to it. my biggest issue when gutting is getting through the rib cage, i want this rack to be sitting right next to my winch, do my initial skin cuts on the rack, run through the breast bone either with a cordless sawzall or a meat saw then hoist up to finish gutting and skinning. when gutting i always end up with all the guts hanging in my way on my arm as im trying to get through the breast bone, thats why i want the rack, get through the breast bone first.

We have and use a similar rack all the time. We will drop a deer, belly up, on the rack. Gets the animal out of the dirt and you off the ground. Much nicer working at waist height, especially for this old man! We will cut the skin and start peeling it back on all 4 legs and we will split the skin down the belly. We use the "gutless" method so we then hoist the deer, rear legs up and continue as described earlier. We just find that the first skinning cuts are so much easier with everything at a convenient height.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide