Print Thread
Suppressor Document Verification?????? #6517315 10/29/16 05:44 PM
D
dredd Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
D
Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread.

So....

Does anyone know of anybody that has ever had to validate the possession of a Suppressor? (Or any thing else)

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6517676 10/30/16 12:01 AM
C
ccoker Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
no, but I keep pdfs on my phone and papers handy

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: ccoker] #6518178 10/30/16 02:32 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: ccoker
no, but I keep pdfs on my phone and papers handy

I do exactly the same thing.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519023 10/31/16 02:24 AM
H
HandgunHTR Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Nope. I have been in the NFA game for a few years and have yet to be asked for my papers. Not even for my Form 1 suppressor.

#FighttheNoise
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519079 10/31/16 02:51 AM
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
I carry laminated copies of my "stamps" any time I leave the house with my SBR, or cans.

Avenger Firearms 214-577-5818
avengerfirearms@gmail.com

Lifetime NRA member
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519445 10/31/16 01:57 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Apparently the gun range around here wants everyone to prove they own their NFA items if you want to shoot there. This is just what I've heard but also some others on the forum have said similar things about other ranges. Not sure why a range cares if you own a suppressor. Either way I'm not going to shoot somewhere that asks for me to prove I can possess my NFA items.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519545 10/31/16 02:46 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: dredd

So....

Does anyone know of anybody that has ever had to validate the possession of a Suppressor? (Or any thing else)

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range;

1. Red's in Austin
2. A Place to Shoot in San Antonio

Last edited by SingleShot85; 10/31/16 02:51 PM.
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85] #6519555 10/31/16 02:51 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

So....

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range

I'm really curious why they care? I get that it is their range and their rules but what is the point? They hold no liability if you aren't the owner of NFA items. Just like they hold no liability if a convicted felon walks in and shoots at their range.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: krmitchell] #6519564 10/31/16 02:55 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

So....

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range

I'm really curious why they care? I get that it is their range and their rules but what is the point? They hold no liability if you aren't the owner of NFA items. Just like they hold no liability if a convicted felon walks in and shoots at their range.

I got all twisted off on the guy at Red's but that was when I first got my can back in 04' but since I always had the paper work it was never a prob. I'm not so stand offish these days..... mainly because I have my own range walking

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85] #6519566 10/31/16 02:58 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

So....

I got all twisted off on the guy at Red's but that was when I first got my can back in 04' but since I always had the paper work it was never a prob. I'm not so stand offish these days..... mainly because I have my own range walking

After I heard about that I won't go to red's, and no one can seem to give an explanation as to why this is warranted. I also have other places to shoot so it is no big deal for me, I just don't get them wanting to look over paperwork which they have no need to see.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519634 10/31/16 03:29 PM
S
SingleShot85 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
The owner of Red's said my range my rules if you don't like it move on......

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85] #6519669 10/31/16 03:41 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The owner of Red's said my range my rules if you don't like it move on......

And I totally get that as it is their right, and because so they lost my business. Aside from running people off just because, I really want to know what their justification is for asking. I just don't get it I guess.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 10/31/16 04:19 PM.
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6519723 10/31/16 04:06 PM
Z
ZK-315 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Z
I've been checked once at Weber's shooting range in Troy. There was a CHL class going on while I was testing some loads out, and when their class was over, the instructor walked over to check. He was nice about it and said that if they (instructors) saw a can being run, they (not sure who "they" are, owners??) wanted the instructors to just check for paperwork.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6520076 10/31/16 07:26 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
I have spoken to several LEO's, including a Game Warden, about this. They said even if you show them the paperwork, it's often difficult to know who can have it, since many suppressors are in a company and/or trust names. Most of the time an LEO is asking for ID, is for a simple ticket or simple infraction. If it were a situation where it were more serious, then they would dig into the suppressor paperwork more. But most of them do not even ask about it.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: ChadTRG42] #6520212 10/31/16 08:40 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I have spoken to several LEO's, including a Game Warden, about this. They said even if you show them the paperwork, it's often difficult to know who can have it, since many suppressors are in a company and/or trust names. Most of the time an LEO is asking for ID, is for a simple ticket or simple infraction. If it were a situation where it were more serious, then they would dig into the suppressor paperwork more. But most of them do not even ask about it.

I carry a copy of my trust along with copies of my stamps with me at all times as well. I have a feeling this isn't something that would normally be checked and I would make it easy to prove it is mine and I'm allowed to have it in case that comes up. With that being said, back to a more important question. If LEO's aren't even asking for proof every time, why the hell is a gun range asking to see paperwork.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6520681 11/01/16 12:55 AM
W
Woj Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
W
After reading this, (and I thought I knew, but...) what exactly am I required (by law) to have with me when using my can? I have three ordered, waiting on the stamps, and my trust is completed.... when I get the stamps and pick up the cans, what am I required to have with me to transport / carry / use them?

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: Woj] #6520852 11/01/16 02:16 AM
R
RHutch Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: Woj
After reading this, (and I thought I knew, but...) what exactly am I required (by law) to have with me when using my can? I have three ordered, waiting on the stamps, and my trust is completed.... when I get the stamps and pick up the cans, what am I required to have with me to transport / carry / use them?

A PHOTOCOPY of the Form 4 with stamp attached. Keep the originals in a safe place....as in a safe.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6571819 12/05/16 03:10 AM
westexhunt Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
That's big brother crap. All my nfa items are in a trust, and I have my ATF stamped form photocopy somewhere close but the only name on the form is my trust. I could let anyone take them anywhere and no "range officer" would know the difference. I am sure as hell not carrying a copy of my trust around to appease some douche at a gun range (not that I have ever shot at a range). Are these guys going to make a citizens arrest and turn me over to the ATF? I am blessed to live where I do and have the freedoms I have. The older I get the more I appreciate it. I get along really well with most everyone and many of my friends are LEO, I respect any person that respects me, but for the most part I just want to be left alone. Off the soap box, I hope suppressors come off the ATF list soon.

Last edited by westexhunt; 12/05/16 03:13 AM.
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6571860 12/05/16 03:39 AM
B
BooneDog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
Make sure you have everything for Bass Pro shops in Grapevine. I was in there with a buddy getting a scope mounted last spring. The older gentleman that runs the range with the coke bottle glasses was inspecting a guys paperwork before he would let him in the range. I have seen college professors grade midterms quicker than he was inspecting the guys paperwork. The guy through a fit and finally tried to leave but the old man behind the counter was still studying the paperwork. The owner of the can knew every law and article off the top of his head. I would bet he had his paperwork straight it seemed like Bass Pro did not want a can in there to me.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: krmitchell] #6572487 12/05/16 04:42 PM
E
Eyesofahunter Offline
Tracker
Tracker
E

I carry a copy of my trust along with copies of my stamps with me at all times as well. I have a feeling this isn't something that would normally be checked and I would make it easy to prove it is mine and I'm allowed to have it in case that comes up. With that being said, back to a more important question. If LEO's aren't even asking for proof every time, why the hell is a gun range asking to see paperwork.

My guess is most ranges are FFL's and fall under ATF oversite. If ATF shows up and sees Class 3 stuff on site they are probably going to ask for documents, if the docs are lacking or unclear then the FFL "could" end up sideways with ATF and endanger their lively hood. LEO are not subject to oversight by ATF and it is their discretion to ask. An angry ATF agent is nearly as bad as and angry IRS agent you want to avoid both at all costs so I can see the point of asking to avoid going down the rabbit hole.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6572535 12/05/16 05:07 PM
G
Gone to Texas Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
G
I used to carry my original paper work on me at all times because I was worried about not having the right stuff. I then realized how dumb this was and put all the PDF's on my phone and google cloud so I can access from anyone's device.

Hopefully we will not need the paperwork in the near future...

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6573811 12/06/16 04:24 AM
H
huntingag01 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Carry copies. Not showing PDFs on my phone to any LEO as I am not handing my phone over to them. not hiding anything, just don't trust most of them.

Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6592636 12/18/16 08:34 PM
B
BoomStick Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
I carry a color copy in a ziplock bag, and place it in the stock of one rifle and the grip of the other. Part of the rules of having it. I dont see the big deal with producing it if someone asks for it on their property or business. That's their right, and thats why you have a copy of it.

[Linked Image]gadsden by matt lollar, on Flickr
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: Eyesofahunter] #6593443 12/19/16 05:20 AM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Eyesofahunter

My guess is most ranges are FFL's and fall under ATF oversite. If ATF shows up and sees Class 3 stuff on site they are probably going to ask for documents, if the docs are lacking or unclear then the FFL "could" end up sideways with ATF and endanger their lively hood. LEO are not subject to oversight by ATF and it is their discretion to ask. An angry ATF agent is nearly as bad as and angry IRS agent you want to avoid both at all costs so I can see the point of asking to avoid going down the rabbit hole.

I'd say that is a really big stretch, again where does the law say that any range you are at must ensure you are legally possessing something? Why don't they do background checks to ensure a felon isn't renting a firearm or shooting one? Seems if they rented a gun to a convicted felon then they cold be held criminally liable. (and that is a much more likely scenario than someone not legally possessing a suppressor. Point is there is nothing that says a range needs to check paperwork on NFA items.

Last edited by rexmitchell; 12/19/16 05:22 AM.
Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd] #6594186 12/19/16 08:45 PM
the444shooter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Yeah, I had to show my copy to Doc at Bass Pro in Grapevine one time, and after that, I left my cans in the pocket(s) of my range bags. Installed them once I was down in the rifle tube and never had him ask again.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide