Forum Stats
60443 Members
45 Forums
475817 Topics
6242038 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6517315 - 10/29/16 12:44 PM Suppressor Document Verification??????
dredd Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Dallas / Fort Worth Area
Didn't want to hi-jack the other thread.

So....

Does anyone know of anybody that has ever had to validate the possession of a Suppressor? (Or any thing else)

#6517676 - 10/29/16 07:01 PM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
ccoker Offline
Veteran Tracker

no, but I keep pdfs on my phone and papers handy

Disclosure statement
Pro Staff - Silencer Shop
Dealer - Armasight and Steiner Optics
Affiliated with Trijicon, Wilson Combat and Crux Suppressors

#6518178 - 10/30/16 09:32 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: ccoker]
syncerus Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Dallas, TX
Originally Posted By: ccoker
no, but I keep pdfs on my phone and papers handy

I do exactly the same thing.

#6519023 - 10/30/16 09:24 PM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
HandgunHTR Offline
Outdoorsman

Loc: Cypress, TX
Nope. I have been in the NFA game for a few years and have yet to be asked for my papers. Not even for my Form 1 suppressor.

#6519079 - 10/30/16 09:51 PM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
boonee Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mesquite
I carry laminated copies of my "stamps" any time I leave the house with my SBR, or cans.

Lifetime NRA member

#6519445 - 10/31/16 08:57 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Apparently the gun range around here wants everyone to prove they own their NFA items if you want to shoot there. This is just what I've heard but also some others on the forum have said similar things about other ranges. Not sure why a range cares if you own a suppressor. Either way I'm not going to shoot somewhere that asks for me to prove I can possess my NFA items.

#6519545 - 10/31/16 09:46 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
SingleShot85 Offline

Loc: S.A. and Kinney Co.
Originally Posted By: dredd

So....

Does anyone know of anybody that has ever had to validate the possession of a Suppressor? (Or any thing else)

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range;

1. Red's in Austin
2. A Place to Shoot in San Antonio

Edited by SingleShot85 (10/31/16 09:51 AM)

#6519555 - 10/31/16 09:51 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85

So....

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range

I'm really curious why they care? I get that it is their range and their rules but what is the point? They hold no liability if you aren't the owner of NFA items. Just like they hold no liability if a convicted felon walks in and shoots at their range.

#6519564 - 10/31/16 09:55 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: rexmitchell]
SingleShot85 Offline

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

So....

I have twice but not to the ATF, two different firearm ranges asked to see them or I could not use their range

I'm really curious why they care? I get that it is their range and their rules but what is the point? They hold no liability if you aren't the owner of NFA items. Just like they hold no liability if a convicted felon walks in and shoots at their range.

I got all twisted off on the guy at Red's but that was when I first got my can back in 04' but since I always had the paper work it was never a prob. I'm not so stand offish these days..... mainly because I have my own range walking

#6519566 - 10/31/16 09:58 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

So....

I got all twisted off on the guy at Red's but that was when I first got my can back in 04' but since I always had the paper work it was never a prob. I'm not so stand offish these days..... mainly because I have my own range walking

After I heard about that I won't go to red's, and no one can seem to give an explanation as to why this is warranted. I also have other places to shoot so it is no big deal for me, I just don't get them wanting to look over paperwork which they have no need to see.

#6519634 - 10/31/16 10:29 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
SingleShot85 Offline

The owner of Red's said my range my rules if you don't like it move on......

#6519669 - 10/31/16 10:41 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: SingleShot85]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

The owner of Red's said my range my rules if you don't like it move on......

And I totally get that as it is their right, and because so they lost my business. Aside from running people off just because, I really want to know what their justification is for asking. I just don't get it I guess.

Edited by rexmitchell (10/31/16 11:19 AM)

#6519723 - 10/31/16 11:06 AM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
ZK-315 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Temple...Hunt in Freestone Co.
I've been checked once at Weber's shooting range in Troy. There was a CHL class going on while I was testing some loads out, and when their class was over, the instructor walked over to check. He was nice about it and said that if they (instructors) saw a can being run, they (not sure who "they" are, owners??) wanted the instructors to just check for paperwork.

#6520076 - 10/31/16 02:26 PM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: dredd]
ChadTRG42 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lewisville, TX
I have spoken to several LEO's, including a Game Warden, about this. They said even if you show them the paperwork, it's often difficult to know who can have it, since many suppressors are in a company and/or trust names. Most of the time an LEO is asking for ID, is for a simple ticket or simple infraction. If it were a situation where it were more serious, then they would dig into the suppressor paperwork more. But most of them do not even ask about it.

www.DallasReloads.com
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL

#6520212 - 10/31/16 03:40 PM Re: Suppressor Document Verification?????? [Re: ChadTRG42]
rexmitchell Offline
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
I have spoken to several LEO's, including a Game Warden, about this. They said even if you show them the paperwork, it's often difficult to know who can have it, since many suppressors are in a company and/or trust names. Most of the time an LEO is asking for ID, is for a simple ticket or simple infraction. If it were a situation where it were more serious, then they would dig into the suppressor paperwork more. But most of them do not even ask about it.

I carry a copy of my trust along with copies of my stamps with me at all times as well. I have a feeling this isn't something that would normally be checked and I would make it easy to prove it is mine and I'm allowed to have it in case that comes up. With that being said, back to a more important question. If LEO's aren't even asking for proof every time, why the hell is a gun range asking to see paperwork.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide