Forum Stats
60416 Members
45 Forums
475646 Topics
6239648 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6517238 - 10/29/16 11:21 AM Am I being paranoid??
HuntnFly67 Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Just went to check a feeder and had a camera turned 180 degrees the wrong way. No big deal. A lot of dry mud on the tree and a little on the camera. I'll chalk the camera up to cows or pigs since it's on a well worn trail and at that heighth.

The real puzzler was my feeder. I had two rocks wedged between the 'spout'/funnel and the spinner plate. They were in there so well the motor wouldn't spin to throw corn. I hunted this spot Tuesday and everything worked well.

Y'all can either feed my paranoia or tell me it's a coincidence. Thoughts?

#6517243 - 10/29/16 11:28 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
bruton1 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Blanket,Tx
Sounds like someone put them there. I'd be hacked off myself!

#6517244 - 10/29/16 11:29 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Lubbock, TX
I'd check the pictures asap.

#6517252 - 10/29/16 11:37 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi

Depends on were the corn was grown and then where you corn was bagged at. Lot of corn is stored outside on the ground in the midwest due to limited storage so you get a lot of things in the corn. Then if the corn was not cleaned well or just bagged without cleaning you can get anything and everything in the bag. I have found rocks in corn, bolts, parts of conveyor belts, soda cans, foil taco wrappers, wire, cockle-burrs, corn stalks, pieces of corn cobs, sticks, etc. My WAG is that they both worked down into the spinner plate and one clogged the plate. Then a coon tried to get more corn and lodge both of them in place.

#6517286 - 10/29/16 12:07 PM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
sbushee Online   content
Tracker

I think it's too much of a coincidence for both things to happen at the same time. Maybe one of your buddies playing a joke or a neighbor who doesn't want you shooting a deer. JMO

#6517346 - 10/29/16 01:17 PM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
JB1316 Offline
Light Foot

Where are you hunting? I've got a place in Sabine County. 2 of our 4 cameras had 0 pics sitting on feeders after 2 months. Well, each had the typical excited "selfie" of myself when going to check the camera. There's just no way that happens at this property. There'd at least be birds, hogs, raccoon, etc. on camera over 2 months. Heck, likely over 3 days. No corn on the ground though under either feeder. Im pretty sure it's a local guy checking cameras and deleting pics.

#6517359 - 10/29/16 01:31 PM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
Western Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wise County Texas
I think you've been Punked

The first 5 day's after the weekend, are the hardest....

Dennis

#6517428 - 10/29/16 02:34 PM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: Western]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Western
I think you've been Punked

I'll be the first to admit I'm well overdue; especially as hard as I play around. Thing is this is one of our 'community' setups so I'm not looking at our group.

I'm gonna hide some cameras just in case somebody is up to shenanigans.

#6518029 - 10/30/16 05:47 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: sbushee]
Deerhunter61 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: bruton1
Sounds like someone put them there. I'd be hacked off myself!
Originally Posted By: sbushee
I think it's too much of a coincidence for both things to happen at the same time. Maybe one of your buddies playing a joke or a neighbor who doesn't want you shooting a deer. JMO

#6518030 - 10/30/16 05:58 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: stxranchman]
Texas Dan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: we
Depends on were the corn was grown and then where you corn was bagged at. Lot of corn is stored outside on the ground in the midwest due to limited storage so you get a lot of things in the corn. Then if the corn was not cleaned well or just bagged without cleaning you can get anything and everything in the bag. I have found rocks in corn, bolts, parts of conveyor belts, soda cans, foil taco wrappers, wire, cockle-burrs, corn stalks, pieces of corn cobs, sticks, etc. My WAG is that they both worked down into the spinner plate and one clogged the plate. Then a coon tried to get more corn and lodge both of them in place.

My thoughts as well, especially if there are not rocks in the immediate area that are similar to the ones you found.

Spring, Texas

#6518271 - 10/30/16 11:00 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
TexOddball Offline
Light Foot

Loc: Aggieland
I think the camera can be dismissed as an animal messing with it.

The rocks in the feeder is trickier. If it's deliberate sabotage, it's by someone not very knowledgable about hunting. If I wanted to prank a buddy's feeder, I'd just disconnect the battery. If it wasn't a buddy and I was feeling mean, I'd steal the battery. Or the whole slinger box, most are just held on by wing nuts. This is just thinking logically, I don't condone either of those actions.

It could very well just be a hard luck coincidence, every deck of cards has four twos, and they rarely show up together.

#6519444 - 10/31/16 08:57 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
BigBucky2014 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Cypress, TX
I'd get another camera and set it up in a discreet location pointed at your feeder. No one would think there would be 2 cameras. Might catch someone in the act.

#6519579 - 10/31/16 10:06 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: HuntnFly67]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Yall are paranoid.

Muddy camera= hogs

Rocks wedged in spinner plate= dirty/cheap corn picked up with a loader off the ground as said above

#6519593 - 10/31/16 10:11 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: MoBettaHuntR]
fouzman Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Yall are paranoid.

Muddy camera= hogs

Rocks wedged in spinner plate= dirty/cheap corn picked up with a loader off the ground as said above

Yep.

#6519645 - 10/31/16 10:33 AM Re: Am I being paranoid?? [Re: TexOddball]
Extreme Tracker

The camera was definitely animal related after looking at it closer. I can't decide which way to go with the feeder though.

The rocks between the funnel and spinner plate appeared to be from the area and one of them had put enough friction on the spinner plate to have marks from the plate rubbing it. Either way, I was on high alert the rest of the weekend.

On Sunday, we filled the rest of our feeders (all 12 of them). At one feeder there was a battery on top of the lid and the varmint cage was open; I knew it HAD to be human influence and was convinced it wasn't one of us. My mind started racing - so I took a marker and left a 'sternly worded' message and challenge with my phone number on the barrel for the dirtbag trespasser/poacher that enjoys jacking up feeders (like they would bother calling and take me up on my threat - made me feel a little better though).

Got back to camp and looked through the game cam pics. Sure enough my hunting buddy left a dead battery on top of the feeder when he replaced it on the bow opener. Then he didn't secure the varmint cage last weekend. Oops; sorry, buddy!! Hope you can laugh about my vulgar graffiti on your feeder barrel. At least if you lose my phone number, you know where you can find it. eek

Originally Posted By: TexOddball

It could very well just be a hard luck coincidence, every deck of cards has four twos, and they rarely show up together.

I am working hard to back away from the ledge and concede I hit quad deuces sometime between Wednesday and Saturday morning.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide