Page 1 of 2 1 2
Altitude Sickness - tidbits #6514728 10/27/16 07:48 PM
T
Theringworm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Let me preface this by stating I am no expert in the field of "Altitude Sickness", have never personally suffered from it, nor do I know everything about it. I simply want to provide a location where you might have some valid resources to:

1) Better understand the physiology behind it
2) Understand the different degrees/syndromes of Altitude Sickness and their severity (Acute Mountain Sickness, High Altitude Pulmonary Edema, & High Altitude Cerebral Edema
3) Know the best ways to prevent it
4) Provide some current evidence based articles regarding the treatment of it.

One of the best resources I have come across online is www.Altitude.org. This website provides as in-depth a description of what Altitude sickness is, it's pathophysiology, interactive charts showing altitude effects on oxygen carrying capacity etc. It essentially has it all. They also have created a "registry" for people that have suffered from a severe form of Altitude sickness known as "High Altitude Pulmonary Edema (HAPE)". I would be surprised if this website does not answer or address most of your questions regarding this topic. Another good source is the CDC. They talk about in what situations a person should or should not consider using Acetazolamide as prevention.

I will defer from re-writing definitions, causes, etc of Altitude Sickness since the website does a great job at answering those.

Current recommendations for "PREVENTION" of altitude sickness are the following:
- Acclimatization: above 8,000ft, ascend no faster than you bodies ability to acclimate. Usually 24 hours for every 1,000ft above 8,000ft (some variation in consensus here).
- Once above 10,000 ft. move sleeping altitude to no more than 1,600ft in a day. Sleeping at high altitude produces the most hypoxemia; day trips to high altitude with return to low altitude are much less stressful on the body.
- Avoid vigorous/strenuous exercise at elevation until acclimated (roughly 48 hours). Even after acclimatization, go easy, giving your body time to recover.
- Don't smoke, drink alcohol or use medication such as tranquillisers and sleeping pills while you're at altitude, as they could make any symptoms of altitude sickness worse.
- Stay well hydrated.
- Consume a high calorie diet
- Only two evidence based medications effective for prevention of Altitude Sickness currently that I am aware of:
a. Acetazolamide - 125mg dose twice a day, started 24-48 hours prior to altitude exposure. This is the "go to prescription medication". Higher doses have no added benefit per research studies. Common side effects are tingling of the hands, toes and face, nausea, & drowsiness. If allergic to Penicillin or Sulfa drugs, this maybe contraindicated for your use.
A few supportive Articles:
http://jtm.oxfordjournals.org/content/19/5/281
http://www.bmj.com/content/328/7443/797

b. Ibuprofen - 600mg three times a day, started 6 hours prior to altitude exposure. Contraindicated if you have a history of stomach ulcers, GI bleed, liver or kidney failure among others. (Not as widely accepted as a preventative medication but support is growing).

A few supportive Articles:
https://med.stanford.edu/news/all-news/2...chers-find.html
http://www.wemjournal.org/article/S1080-6032(12)00274-8/fulltext

- If you start to develop mild symptoms stay at current altitude or descend
- DESCEND, DESCEND, DESCEND - only truly effective prevention once symptoms present

Current recommendations for TREATMENT for altitude sickness are:
- DESCEND, DESCEND, DESCEND

Really nothing else needs to be said regarding treatment. Once you have true symptoms if you don't descend, much of the above including medications aren't going to have a big impact. You have to descend down the mountain.

As for herbal remedies ie. Gingko biloba - has had widely conflicting results and is not currently recommended. Anti-oxidants (Vit C, E ,& Alpha-lipoeic acid) and magnesium have not shown to be effective. Other remedies/treatments are out there but there is little to no valid literature to support it's use. That's not to say they are not effective. Some haven't been studied in small or large trials.

I have experience using both Acetazolamide and the Ibuprofen regimens. I personally did not experience any side effects but obviously some do. In the end, use what works for you. Nothing will work for everyone. Common sense and educating yourself is key. I would seek medical advice prior to taking any of the above as each of us have our own problems/issues. Self medicating can get us in trouble even when it comes to herbal remedies or over the counter medications. I would encourage you to look at the Altitude.org website. Some extremely valuable information there.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514873 10/27/16 09:35 PM
T
Tripper Swift Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Im no expert but I go to Breckenridge every year and its High enough people do get sick. I typically get some pretty mild headaches. Anyways what I have learned that works for me is EmrgenC and a ton of water.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514903 10/27/16 09:55 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Emergyn C is a Cure all for about everything up

Awesome Stuff

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514920 10/27/16 10:04 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I get altitude sickness at anything above 4,500-5,000 ft. Which sucks because all of my family lives in Colorado.

The main cause of my altitude sickness was a traumatic inner ear rupture while flying between LA and Atlanta 9 years ago. I had a bad sinus infection and my Eustachian Tube and Ear Drum in my left ear ruptured in the air. It took almost 5 weeks before I could walk without bad vertigo.

The best thing I have found is Sudafed D and lots of water. Sudafed D opens up the airways so you can breath and get enough oxygen. Water keeps you hydrated so the oxygen gets to your brain. Also, you have to take it before you head up elevation. Once you are there and you start to feel the effects I would recommend Dramamine. Also oxygen helps a lot. I have a couple of bottles of boost oxygen that I keep in case I need them. If you start to cramp you need to go to the ER.

I am an extreme case but when I go to SE Colorado at 4000 Feet this is what I have to do and what I carry.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514928 10/27/16 10:07 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Boost Oxygen

This is the link to Boost Oxygen in case you want to find out more about it. My physical therapist told me about it when trying to relearn to walk.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514935 10/27/16 10:14 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
I made the HORRIBLE decision a few years back to fly into Albuquerque and drive straight thru to Creede Co at a breakneck pace and my friends Cabin is at 8,800 then we went up the mountain to around 10-11 and all of this happened in one day..Of course I had not consumed near enough fluids (or the wrong ones) roflmao
I cannot describe the headache and pain that came on..Not FUN

Years ago a group of Kiddos graduated and drove straight there and went straight up and one young man turned blue and passed away and have another Dear Friend that his Bride's Liver Lacerated. It's not to be taken lightly for sure.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514962 10/27/16 10:40 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
You can also get a prescription for altitude sickness pills from your doctor. We had to get them when my wife and I hiked the Inca Trail because people have to get helicoptered out if they don't take them. If it's that big of a concern, I'd look into that. I had no altitude sickness symptoms at all. You have to start taking them a few days before you get there, though.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514967 10/27/16 10:47 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Went to CO a few years ago and was staying at just over 9,000 feet. We went skiing the first day there...that night I woke up gasping for breath. I opened up a window and stayed there until morning gasping for breath and then drove down the mountain. Boy, I've never been so unsettled. Thinking back I should have headed down the mtn as soon as I woke up.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6514976 10/27/16 10:53 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
Never had it, but I know you can take Ginger in a pill and it helps with no side effects. The stuff a doctor prescribes can be dangerous from what I was told.

Google it, but it works and also for sea/motion sickness. I had a state trooper sgt hunting with me one time that took it and swore by it.

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6514981 10/27/16 10:58 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: Just Nate

The main cause of my altitude sickness was a traumatic inner ear rupture while flying between LA and Atlanta 9 years ago. I had a bad sinus infection and my Eustachian Tube and Ear Drum in my left ear ruptured in the air. It took almost 5 weeks before I could walk without bad vertigo.

Wow. Sounds painful as he11.

Good info.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Deerhunter61] #6514985 10/27/16 11:00 PM
S
SniperRAB Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
Went to CO a few years ago and was staying at just over 9,000 feet. We went skiing the first day there...that night I woke up gasping for breath. I opened up a window and stayed there until morning gasping for breath and then drove down the mountain. Boy, I've never been so unsettled. Thinking back I should have headed down the mtn as soon as I woke up.

Never Fun Sir...

I won't make the mistake again

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6515001 10/27/16 11:18 PM
T
Theringworm Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
You can also get a prescription for altitude sickness pills from your doctor. We had to get them when my wife and I hiked the Inca Trail because people have to get helicoptered out if they don't take them. If it's that big of a concern, I'd look into that. I had no altitude sickness symptoms at all. You have to start taking them a few days before you get there, though.

Correct Sir. It's called Acetazolamide (generic name) or Diamox (brand name).

Western its not dangerous unless you have a severe PCN or Sulfa allergy or some kidney or liver issues. Common side effects are tingling of the hands, toes, & face; nausea and drowsiness. I never had any. I have taken it several times. I have prescribed it for Scout leaders going on high adventure trips. Always have a backup supply just in case. It's the gold standard for prevention.

Never heard about the ginger. I'll have to look into that. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515019 10/27/16 11:42 PM
W
Western Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
W
I guess that is why it is by prescription, then hopefully the MD/NP is aware of any underlying conditions you mentioned.

I have only seen one person suffering from AS, we thought it was a panic attack the way they where acting. Doesn't look fun I know that!

If at first you dont succeed, then skydiving is not for you..

"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Dennis

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515052 10/28/16 12:10 AM
M
Marc K Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
I'm older and whole lot fatter now, but I used to backpack in the high country.

I too saw some really scary things happen to folks rapidly driving up to 8-9,000' and hitting the trail up from there. I lived at the beach, so iron clad Rule Number One was to acclimate for 12-24 hours at +/-8K feet. Then head up to the high country and do a 10% to 25% of normal first day hike. Then gradually ramp up to full altitude at a slow pace. Assuming no other health problems, we were pretty much running an all cylinders on day four or five at treeline and over the higher passes.

Hint: 7-8 lpm of 100% O2 for 5-10 minutes calms the panic and reduces the hyperventilating when some folks feel like they are starving for air.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515092 10/28/16 12:37 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Stayed at nice cabin in FairPlay Colorado. Nice little town, but over 10000 feet. Terrible, couldn't sleep, nights drug on forever. Miserable.
Luckily, they have oxygen delivery companies in ski resort area. After that, I slept like a baby. Get me a hit of oxygen, I was good to go.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515199 10/28/16 01:39 AM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
We pretty much stay in and around Buena Vista Co. when we go up. It's about 8,000 ft. We spend the first day doing absolutely nothing requiring exertion and drink lotsa water. By the second day we're ready to tackle the higher elevations. Wife had one experience in Leadville area and got nauseous. She hadn't been drinking water as we usually did. Just ran her back down to 8000 and pushed water, she recovered pretty quick.

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515235 10/28/16 02:01 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Drove from Lubbock to above Crested Butte in one day. Pitched camp at over 10,000 feet. Had grand plans to hike some Fourteeners in the area. That was quickly squashed when I woke the next morning feeling like I was coming down with the flu and a migraine at the same time. I knew what it was so we (brother and I) headed down the mountain and camped at lower elevation for a couple days. Then headed back up and everything was fine for the remainder of the trip. We managed 3 fourteeners in 10 days on the trip.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515573 10/28/16 12:50 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Thanks for putting this together Ringworm.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Creekrunner] #6515681 10/28/16 02:07 PM
H
Hunt n Fish Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Thanks for putting this together Ringworm.

cheers

You boys heading to the high country......start increasing fluids (water) now! Helps increase red blood cells which carry more oxygen!

DON'T FORGET - If you're taking horses, THEY need to be acclimated too!

HnF

"Prayer is when you talk to the Lord, Meditation is when you listen to what he says"
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6515901 10/28/16 04:37 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Drinking water at altitude helps, too (H2Oxygen). And smoking or dipping constricts blood vessels, which impedes blood flow, which makes altitude harder to handle.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6516038 10/28/16 06:07 PM
J
JESmith Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
I used to hike and work in the high country every summer and have seen a lot of altitude sickness. The #1 prevention is running. Higher altitude require more red blood cells to process lower oxygen levels. Running builds these up helps your body work with the oxygen debt. The old rule of thumb used to be be able to run 1-1/2 miles in 15 min. I found that guys that could do this and spent a least one day acclimatizing rarely had altitude sickness.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6520131 10/31/16 07:56 PM
T
tx_basser Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My first bought with severe altitude sickness was riding up the COG railway going up Pikes Peak a few years ago.

When we first got to camp Friday evening, I felt horrible.. could not breath, huff/puff setting up tent, etc. it compounded by Anxiety and had to take additional medicine, etc. I started drinking water like crazy and eating more, and started feeling better pretty fast. By Monday afternoon I felt I was pretty acclimated, and come Tues/Wed felt good and was hiking up/down no problems. Son drank too much Dr. Pepper and got allot of headaches.. I told him I would not buying any more sodas unless he drank 2 bottles of water each morning.

Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6520598 11/01/16 12:17 AM
H
Hirogen Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
H
Climb high, sleep low. General rule of thumb is don't go more than 3000 feet higher than whatever elevation you are comfortable sleeping at and return to the comfortable elevation to sleep. As you acclimatize your comfortable sleeping elevation will increase.

Used this method to climb Kilimanjaro. After 7 days we were able to sleep at 18,700 feet in the crater of the volcano. Summited no problem the next day at 19,341 feet (5895 metres):

The view from my tent inside the crater at 18,700 feet:

As long as you are healthy and fit no drugs or oxygen are necessary - just takes time. In an emergency though or if your schedule is rushed diamox will definitely speed your body's ability to acclimate.

Last edited by Hirogen; 11/01/16 01:38 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6520655 11/01/16 12:47 AM
S
Simple Searcher Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S
Altitude can be interesting I have seen a lot of interesting symptoms
My sister in law freaked out at 1 11,000 foot climb through the mountains. She was in the back seat screaming, thinking we were driving off the edge. It was fun to witness such a normal person flip out so.
During a motor cycle race up in Colorado we had guys crashing everywhere. We though it was just a horrible day at the track until one guy started crying about a crooked fender. We figured it was time for the flat landers to go back down the hill.

Hirogen, that is awesome

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Altitude Sickness - tidbits [Re: Theringworm] #6521073 11/01/16 08:24 AM
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I got it twice as a kid, threw up once and never had it since. It was bad but grew out of it i guess. No one else in my familly gets it luckily. Thank goodness. Water before noon and beer afterwards. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide