Print Thread
mississippi deer hunting? #6514515 10/27/16 05:08 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
So has anyone done any hunting is Miss? What kinda laws and such do they have compared to texas hunting regs? I got an offer to go hunting for free on a place and the pics I have seen of the deer are amazing but kinda wanted to get other opinions.. thanks

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514521 10/27/16 05:15 PM
T
tShawnB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Free? Amazing? Deer? What more information could you possibly need? So what if it's not successful, what other options are you looking for?

How come everybody I meet is a deer hunting expert?
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514526 10/27/16 05:19 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
well pics are pics but I guess what to expect. I know there are some good ones out there but more realistically?

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514531 10/27/16 05:22 PM
R
rickym Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Probably similar type of hunting compared to east texas woods. confused2

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514546 10/27/16 05:31 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
So there will be an opportunity to purchase some meth on a walk about?

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514549 10/27/16 05:32 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514627 10/27/16 06:38 PM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Cannot feed/bait in MS.....I hunted South of near Natchez for a few years.....Rut is late middle Jan.....Locals were difficult to get along with, running dogs over our place and hunting it when we were not there....finally threw my hands up and went back to TX and never leaving.

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514684 10/27/16 07:13 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
The place I hunted just south of Jackson was real pretty with rolling fields and tons of hardwood forests. Even had an Indian burial mound on it.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514921 10/27/16 10:04 PM
JM Ranch Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Lived in Jackson and hunted various areas around there 20 years ago. Limit was one deer PER DAY. No tags, just a small paper license on regular paper. No antler restrictions. If they saw it they shot it. But corn is frowned upon!?!?!

They gave me a resident license even with a Texas drivers license, as I was a student at the time.

I did get to hunt on a place that backed up to the football stadium grounds at Mississippi Valley State (Jerry Rice played there). Literally sat under a tree within 1/4 mile of the empty stadium. Of course our high school stadiums in Texas are larger than that one. Buddy shot a doe and we gutted it in the gravel parking lot.

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514986 10/27/16 11:02 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
So has anyone done any hunting is Miss? What kinda laws and such do they have compared to texas hunting regs? I got an offer to go hunting for free on a place and the pics I have seen of the deer are amazing but kinda wanted to get other opinions.. thanks

My opinion is you pass and give the trip to your new best friend....me.

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6514992 10/27/16 11:07 PM
T
TAT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
Hunted there once about 12 yrs ago. It was around thanksgiving. Saw plenty of deer. The guys place I was at said they didn't rut until late December. Still had fun and busted a few does. When I went to buy my license the guy at the store said he wouldn't even worry about getting one. Said I would never see a warden. Wwe didn't but still got my license anyway. There were some great bucks taken off the property in part but I only saw small ones. Good luck. Can't beat free and a chance to hunt somewhere different.

It's not how you fall, It's how you get up.
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: spg] #6515307 10/28/16 02:47 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: spg
Cannot feed/bait in MS.....I hunted South of near Natchez for a few years.....Rut is late middle Jan.....Locals were difficult to get along with, running dogs over our place and hunting it when we were not there....finally threw my hands up and went back to TX and never leaving.

I spent much of my youth hunting in Mississippi. The earlier comments are spot on. Never had a positive experience with a GW. Got lost as a young teenager once and ended up an adjacent property. They accused me and my friend of trespassing and refused our pleas to just take us to the nearest public road and drop us off. They pointed us back into the woods from the direction we came from. At least they didn't shoot us and bury us in a dam or make us squeal like pigs.

Be careful. Stupidity and ignorance is still widespread.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: Texas Dan] #6515397 10/28/16 04:52 AM
S
spg Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: spg

I spent much of my youth hunting in Mississippi. The earlier comments are spot on. Never had a positive experience with a GW. Got lost as a young teenager once and ended up an adjacent property. They accused me and my friend of trespassing and refused our pleas to just take us to the nearest public road and drop us off. They pointed us back into the woods from the direction we came from. At least they didn't shoot us and bury us in a dam or make us squeal like pigs.

Be careful. Stupidity and ignorance is still widespread.

Can't beat Texas's hospitality or hunting culture. If it wasn't for my wife I would be a permanent resident.

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6515404 10/28/16 05:36 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Have hunted deer in Mississippi for 44 years or so, it has changed a lot there over that time from where if you saw a few deer during a season to having 28 deer within 30 yards at one time, the population of deer has certainly expanded a lot.

With an out of state license you call in to report a harvest so there is a record of it when transporting your deer back to Texas or where ever you are ending up with it. Much of the state has antler restrictions to protect the 1.5 year old bucks.

Over those years have seen the limits change a lot, when I started the limit was one buck per year and you got a tag. There was the time when does were only available to be harvested during archery and muzzle loader seasons with a limit of 2 per year but a buck a day for an almost 4 month season. Needless to say the buck to doe ration got really bad, 27 does to one buck according to the biologist on my small place in East Central MS during that time. The Ratio got much better when for a few years the limits were changed to 8 does and 3 bucks and no tags so on the honor system to keep it at that. Daily limit though was 1 buck and 1 doe per day.

Haven't looked at this years regs yet but plan to be there the last week of December this year.

Think the Feeder situation is still like it has been for several years of you can have feeders but cannot hunt so that you can see them from the stand.

Dogs are still a big part of deer hunting in Mississippi and wish they would cut that out but there is lots of lobbying $ involved so doubt will see any change in that any time soon.

Rut back when I started hunting there was generally in the first 2 weeks of December but when the buck to doe ratio got so bad out of proportion it changed to more like when the bucks were not too tired. 28:1 the poor bucks didn't have to look for does they were everywhere and lots of does went through lots of cycles. Turkey hunting one morning in April watched a buck with velvet antlers started breed a doe, crazy as that sounds.

The hunting has gotten much better now at least for bucks as liberal limits they finally put in place helped get the ratio more in line, since then the rut peaks usually the last week of December, at least in the East Central part of the state.

Not sure what part of the state you will be hunting but hunting cutovers the first two or three years after clear cutting has been very productive. Water oak trees will still be dropping acorns almost till the end of December. White Oaks have already dropped theirs.

Have fun hunting there it can be a blast and definitely different than sitting in a box blind waiting for a feeder to run. Food plots are very popular though and productive.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6515638 10/28/16 01:43 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and info.. At the moment all I know is that it is about 60 miles from Grenada, MS...not sure which direction though. It would be the week between Christmas and new years so by what yall are saying it sounds like right in the peak of the rut...

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6516465 10/28/16 10:29 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and info.. At the moment all I know is that it is about 60 miles from Grenada, MS...not sure which direction though. It would be the week between Christmas and new years so by what yall are saying it sounds like right in the peak of the rut...

Be sure to check the laws relating to feeders. At one time, you could be fined if the GW believed you killed a deer that was headed to your feeder, even if you could not see the feeder. Very subjective law if you ask me.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6517762 10/30/16 01:31 AM
J
joedav31 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
J
Pm sent

Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6517860 10/30/16 02:58 AM
M
Microsktr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
I grew up hunting in MS; my parents still live there, but I haven't hunted there regularly since 2007. Couple of things to know when hunting there, though:
1. Since you said you will be hunting about 60 miles from Grenada (which is a good area, by the way), you will need to know which Zone you will be hunting in, as the legal antler spread between the two Zones (Hill Zone and Delta Zone) is different, and Grenada sits almost exactly on the border between the two Zones (the actual boundary is Interstate 55). The legal antler inside spread is wider if you hunt west of I-55 versus east of I-55.
2. Make sure you take a Hunter Orange vest with you, as it is required when traveling between your vehicle and a tree stand or blind. Once you are in the stand or blind you can take it off to hunt, but be sure to put it back on when heading back to your vehicle. Believe me, it's not only the law, it's for your safety too. Unfortunately, there are still hunters out there that shoot at anything that moves.
3. Do not carry a loaded rifle in your vehicle at any time; you have to load it once you are so many yards away from a public road, then you need to start walking away from the road towards your hunting area as soon as possible. I have seen way too many hunters (including my dad) get inadvertently busted by the game warden for this violation because they forgot.
4. Game wardens there love to use robotic decoy deer to try and dupe hunters into stopping and shooting from the road, so if a deer looks too good to be true, it probably is...just keep on driving.
5. The time you are hunting (between Christmas and New Years) should be during the rut for that area of the state, and it is also during what is classified the "Gun (With Dogs)" season, which is the peak hunting season for the state. Hunters and hunting dogs will be everywhere. Whatever you do, do not shoot at or mess with anyone's hunting dogs if they are out running, no matter how much they bother you or screw up your hunting. Residents there consider an attack on their dogs as an attack on a member of their family, and they do take it personally (I used to run hunting dogs myself in MS growing up, so just offering some expert advice).
6. Although baiting is still frowned upon, most hunters have food plots set up these days, so those seemed to be the best places to hunt when I was growing up.
7. Finally, if you happen to be stopped by a game warden for whatever reason, be as nice to them as possible. Those guys don't play around in MS, and a lot of them know the legal differences between TX hunters and MS hunters, so they will usually look for common violations that MS residents know about, but TX hunters may not be aware.

Hopefully this helps. Good luck to you!

AF(Retired)/DV; busted mine to save yours then...bustin' Bambi to save the American hunting dream now!
Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010] #6519756 10/31/16 04:25 PM
T
txhunter1010 Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
T
great info thank you!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide