Forum Stats
60482 Members
45 Forums
476292 Topics
6248047 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6514515 - 10/27/16 12:08 PM mississippi deer hunting?
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

So has anyone done any hunting is Miss? What kinda laws and such do they have compared to texas hunting regs? I got an offer to go hunting for free on a place and the pics I have seen of the deer are amazing but kinda wanted to get other opinions.. thanks

#6514521 - 10/27/16 12:15 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
tShawnB Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rolling Plains
Free? Amazing? Deer? What more information could you possibly need? So what if it's not successful, what other options are you looking for?

#6514526 - 10/27/16 12:19 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

well pics are pics but I guess what to expect. I know there are some good ones out there but more realistically?

#6514531 - 10/27/16 12:22 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
rickym Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: texas
Probably similar type of hunting compared to east texas woods. confused2

#6514546 - 10/27/16 12:31 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
Herbie Hancock Online   content
Bird Dog

Loc: Cypress, Texas
So there will be an opportunity to purchase some meth on a walk about?

#6514549 - 10/27/16 12:32 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
PMK Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Central TX (Gtown/Austin)

~PMK~

#6514627 - 10/27/16 01:38 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
spg Offline
Tracker

Cannot feed/bait in MS.....I hunted South of near Natchez for a few years.....Rut is late middle Jan.....Locals were difficult to get along with, running dogs over our place and hunting it when we were not there....finally threw my hands up and went back to TX and never leaving.

#6514684 - 10/27/16 02:13 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
TXHOGSLAYER Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
The place I hunted just south of Jackson was real pretty with rolling fields and tons of hardwood forests. Even had an Indian burial mound on it.

#6514921 - 10/27/16 05:04 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
JM Ranch Offline
Green Horn

Lived in Jackson and hunted various areas around there 20 years ago. Limit was one deer PER DAY. No tags, just a small paper license on regular paper. No antler restrictions. If they saw it they shot it. But corn is frowned upon!?!?!

They gave me a resident license even with a Texas drivers license, as I was a student at the time.

I did get to hunt on a place that backed up to the football stadium grounds at Mississippi Valley State (Jerry Rice played there). Literally sat under a tree within 1/4 mile of the empty stadium. Of course our high school stadiums in Texas are larger than that one. Buddy shot a doe and we gutted it in the gravel parking lot.

#6514986 - 10/27/16 06:02 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: txhunter1010
So has anyone done any hunting is Miss? What kinda laws and such do they have compared to texas hunting regs? I got an offer to go hunting for free on a place and the pics I have seen of the deer are amazing but kinda wanted to get other opinions.. thanks

My opinion is you pass and give the trip to your new best friend....me.

#6514992 - 10/27/16 06:07 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
TAT Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: good ole texas
Hunted there once about 12 yrs ago. It was around thanksgiving. Saw plenty of deer. The guys place I was at said they didn't rut until late December. Still had fun and busted a few does. When I went to buy my license the guy at the store said he wouldn't even worry about getting one. Said I would never see a warden. Wwe didn't but still got my license anyway. There were some great bucks taken off the property in part but I only saw small ones. Good luck. Can't beat free and a chance to hunt somewhere different.

#6515307 - 10/27/16 09:47 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: spg]
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: spg
Cannot feed/bait in MS.....I hunted South of near Natchez for a few years.....Rut is late middle Jan.....Locals were difficult to get along with, running dogs over our place and hunting it when we were not there....finally threw my hands up and went back to TX and never leaving.

I spent much of my youth hunting in Mississippi. The earlier comments are spot on. Never had a positive experience with a GW. Got lost as a young teenager once and ended up an adjacent property. They accused me and my friend of trespassing and refused our pleas to just take us to the nearest public road and drop us off. They pointed us back into the woods from the direction we came from. At least they didn't shoot us and bury us in a dam or make us squeal like pigs.

Be careful. Stupidity and ignorance is still widespread.

Spring, Texas

#6515397 - 10/27/16 11:52 PM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: Texas Dan]
spg Offline
Tracker

Originally Posted By: Texas Dan
Originally Posted By: spg

I spent much of my youth hunting in Mississippi. The earlier comments are spot on. Never had a positive experience with a GW. Got lost as a young teenager once and ended up an adjacent property. They accused me and my friend of trespassing and refused our pleas to just take us to the nearest public road and drop us off. They pointed us back into the woods from the direction we came from. At least they didn't shoot us and bury us in a dam or make us squeal like pigs.

Be careful. Stupidity and ignorance is still widespread.

Can't beat Texas's hospitality or hunting culture. If it wasn't for my wife I would be a permanent resident.

#6515404 - 10/28/16 12:36 AM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Have hunted deer in Mississippi for 44 years or so, it has changed a lot there over that time from where if you saw a few deer during a season to having 28 deer within 30 yards at one time, the population of deer has certainly expanded a lot.

With an out of state license you call in to report a harvest so there is a record of it when transporting your deer back to Texas or where ever you are ending up with it. Much of the state has antler restrictions to protect the 1.5 year old bucks.

Over those years have seen the limits change a lot, when I started the limit was one buck per year and you got a tag. There was the time when does were only available to be harvested during archery and muzzle loader seasons with a limit of 2 per year but a buck a day for an almost 4 month season. Needless to say the buck to doe ration got really bad, 27 does to one buck according to the biologist on my small place in East Central MS during that time. The Ratio got much better when for a few years the limits were changed to 8 does and 3 bucks and no tags so on the honor system to keep it at that. Daily limit though was 1 buck and 1 doe per day.

Haven't looked at this years regs yet but plan to be there the last week of December this year.

Think the Feeder situation is still like it has been for several years of you can have feeders but cannot hunt so that you can see them from the stand.

Dogs are still a big part of deer hunting in Mississippi and wish they would cut that out but there is lots of lobbying $ involved so doubt will see any change in that any time soon.

Rut back when I started hunting there was generally in the first 2 weeks of December but when the buck to doe ratio got so bad out of proportion it changed to more like when the bucks were not too tired. 28:1 the poor bucks didn't have to look for does they were everywhere and lots of does went through lots of cycles. Turkey hunting one morning in April watched a buck with velvet antlers started breed a doe, crazy as that sounds.

The hunting has gotten much better now at least for bucks as liberal limits they finally put in place helped get the ratio more in line, since then the rut peaks usually the last week of December, at least in the East Central part of the state.

Not sure what part of the state you will be hunting but hunting cutovers the first two or three years after clear cutting has been very productive. Water oak trees will still be dropping acorns almost till the end of December. White Oaks have already dropped theirs.

Have fun hunting there it can be a blast and definitely different than sitting in a box blind waiting for a feeder to run. Food plots are very popular though and productive.

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6515638 - 10/28/16 08:43 AM Re: mississippi deer hunting? [Re: txhunter1010]
txhunter1010 Offline
Extreme Tracker

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the comments and info.. At the moment all I know is that it is about 60 miles from Grenada, MS...not sure which direction though. It would be the week between Christmas and new years so by what yall are saying it sounds like right in the peak of the rut...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide