Page 1 of 2 1 2
Beautiful Trespassers #6514234 10/27/16 02:22 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Went out to run my trap line this morning and came upon a couple of beauties in one of my pastures:

Don't know the season or bag limits on them so I called my neighbor (who owns a herd of them) to ask. Needless to say, he showed up in about 15 minutes with a couple of his cowboys to repossess these two. He said there was no season or bag limit, but that he'd be glad to buy me a bottle of my favorite adult beverage for reporting their escape from his high-fenced place.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514256 10/27/16 02:36 PM
S
Slimpickin Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
roflmao cowboy texas You sir are a Good Neighbor.

Proverbs 27:17 As iron sharpens iron,
so one person sharpens another.
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514266 10/27/16 02:41 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
For some reason I thought I remembered the government got involved a couple years ago about stuff they know nothing about and made it to where you have to have a special permit or something to shoot those, even behind a high fence. Not 100% on that however.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Slimpickin] #6514296 10/27/16 02:52 PM
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: Slimpickin
roflmao cowboy texas You sir are a Good Neighbor.
cheers

Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Limit Extender] #6514300 10/27/16 02:55 PM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender
For some reason I thought I remembered the government got involved a couple years ago about stuff they know nothing about and made it to where you have to have a special permit or something to shoot those, even behind a high fence. Not 100% on that however.

Not that I've ever heard of. You can spotlight those things year round if you want. OP good on you for calling your neighbor and not your friends to have a BBQ.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514407 10/27/16 03:51 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
How did they go about capturing them?

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514427 10/27/16 04:09 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Just like cattle: two cowboys on horses, and a dog. The cowboys flanked 'em, the dog rode drag, and they ran (walked, really) them into a cattle trap and then up into a trailer they had backed up into place. Very docile creatures and they acted like they'd been through the drill before!

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514443 10/27/16 04:19 PM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Very neighborly.. Gives me some hope for humanity.. Thank you

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514452 10/27/16 04:23 PM
N
Nathan at Fork Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
If it had been a huge 200" whitetail buck from your neighbors high fence do you still make the call? LOL.

Those are some beautiful critters. I'm not familiar with all the exotics, what are they?

[Linked Image]
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6514506 10/27/16 05:00 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted By: Nathan at Fork
If it had been a huge 200" whitetail buck from your neighbors high fence do you still make the call? LOL.

Those are some beautiful critters. I'm not familiar with all the exotics, what are they?

scimitar horned oryx. Tasty too

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Limit Extender] #6514525 10/27/16 05:18 PM
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

I remember there being talks a few years ago, I guess they were going extinct in Africa and they were saying because of that we wouldn't be able to hunt them here anymore. I guess that went by the wayside. Now I want to do some light googling on this.

It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514529 10/27/16 05:20 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514533 10/27/16 05:26 PM
S
SouthWestIron Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Glad you took the high road! My both my neighbors are good people as well.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Nathan at Fork] #6514550 10/27/16 05:33 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

Nathan, I wouldn't be able to tell if the huge whitetail "belonged" to anyone. Low fence on two sides; high fence on the other two; no telling where it might have come from. These two animals could have come from only one place! If that hypothetical 200 inch whitetail were tagged in any identifiable way, I would have called my neighbors and let them know. I would have allowed them to have their hunters come and see if they could collect him. A big 'un like that is worth a whole lot of money! And I don't think two cowboys and a dog could round up a whitetail of any size!

BTW, my neighbor just called and told me that they found the breach in their high fence: a nice, 5 foot high by 4 foot wide panel had been cut out and then loosely wired back into place. Some poachers with bolt cutters were getting set up to either kill some and drag them out, or try to herd them into a trailer that they were going to put into place. I think they were going kill them; can't imagine trying to move them around at night.

Last edited by mikei; 10/27/16 05:34 PM.
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514553 10/27/16 05:37 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: mikei

Nathan, I wouldn't be able to tell if the huge whitetail "belonged" to anyone. Low fence on two sides; high fence on the other two; no telling where it might have come from. These two animals could have come from only one place! If that hypothetical 200 inch whitetail were tagged in any identifiable way, I would have called my neighbors and let them know. I would have allowed them to have their hunters come and see if they could collect him. A big 'un like that is worth a whole lot of money! And I don't think two cowboys and a dog could round up a whitetail of any size!

BTW, my neighbor just called and told me that they found the breach in their high fence: a nice, 5 foot high by 4 foot wide panel had been cut out and then loosely wired back into place. Some poachers with bolt cutters were getting set up to either kill some and drag them out, or try to herd them into a trailer that they were going to put into place. I think they were going kill them; can't imagine trying to move them around at night.

eek2

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514554 10/27/16 05:37 PM
H
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H

I guess it wouldn't be worth to leave it like that and set up cameras to try and catch them when they come back?

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514606 10/27/16 06:21 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
You're a good man Mikei.

You did the right thing at every level.

Proud of you and other honest, contentious people like you.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514661 10/27/16 07:02 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
If I was the HFLO I would have set som cameras up and sakes it out! Cuz I would want I catch them....now they'll just keep on doing it.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514663 10/27/16 07:03 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Just like cattle: two cowboys on horses, and a dog. The cowboys flanked 'em, the dog rode drag, and they ran (walked, really) them into a cattle trap and then up into a trailer they had backed up into place. Very docile creatures and they acted like they'd been through the drill before!

Sounds like they'll make for an exciting hunt...

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Deerhunter61] #6514725 10/27/16 07:46 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61

Sounds like they'll make for an exciting hunt...

Deerhunter61, I think the folks that "hunt" these animals fly in on their Learjets, get picked up from the ranch's airstrip in a safari-wagon, are driven around to scope out the animals, and, when one suits their fancy, they are handed a .270 Winchester, driven up close enough to assure a one shot, one kill operation, and then allowed to pull the trigger. Backed up by at least two armed cowboys to make sure that even in the case of a missed shot by the client, the trophy goes down. Pics are taken, clients reboard the Lear, and head back to Dallas/Houston/San Antonio, to get back in time for supper at the Club. (This was told to me by one of those cowboys who used to work for the game ranch; don't know how true it is, but I do see and hear the private jets sailing in periodically.) It ain't hunting; it's trophy collection.

Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Deerhunter61] #6514736 10/27/16 07:54 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Deerhunter61
If I was the HFLO I would have set som cameras up and sakes it out! Cuz I would want I catch them....now they'll just keep on doing it.

I wouldn't be surprised to hear that two known poachers from the area did not return home after a "night on the town." The game ranch has a whole bunkhouse full of straight shooters, NV and Thermal optic-outfitted firearms, and several large earthmoving pieces of equipment. And they don't take lightly to trespassers and poachers who attempt to destroy their property and livelihood.

Last edited by mikei; 10/27/16 07:55 PM.
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6514751 10/27/16 08:05 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Okay, they're pretty, but it wasn't what I expected when I clicked on this.

There's addax on the pasture we lease. They aren't docile at all and will put two ridges between them and you right quick whenever they see the pickup. 'Depends on the size of the pasture they're in I think. LO said they won't jump a low fence, like blackbuck. 'Don't know about scimitar and if they'll jump a LF.

Texas ranchers have saved these 3 species from extinction. It's the last place you can hunt them. Whether it's "hunting" or "shooting" I believe varies greatly upon each operation. A close, late friend of mine shot a scimitar when ranches were having "fire sales" back right before the permits. It sounded like a hunt to me. And he didn't own a Lear.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: Creekrunner] #6514855 10/27/16 09:18 PM
M
mikei Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Okay, they're pretty, but it wasn't what I expected when I clicked on this.

There's addax on the pasture we lease. They aren't docile at all and will put two ridges between them and you right quick whenever they see the pickup. 'Depends on the size of the pasture they're in I think. LO said they won't jump a low fence, like blackbuck. 'Don't know about scimitar and if they'll jump a LF.

Texas ranchers have saved these 3 species from extinction. It's the last place you can hunt them. Whether it's "hunting" or "shooting" I believe varies greatly upon each operation. A close, late friend of mine shot a scimitar when ranches were having "fire sales" back right before the permits. It sounded like a hunt to me. And he didn't own a Lear.

Creekrunner, all I can tell you about rounding up scimitars is what I just witnessed on my property a few hours ago. I see them frequently but have never watched any of their cowboys "work" them. And the typical "hunt" I described was straight from the mouth of a ranch hand who worked at the ranch for 6 years. I'm not passing judgement on the ranchers who run these operations or the people who are their clients. It is what it is. But what the guy described to me is not what I call hunting; it's trophy collection. When I go "hog hunting," it's kinda the same thing. It's not hunting, it's extermination, and that's what I call it.

Last edited by mikei; 10/27/16 09:22 PM.
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6515260 10/28/16 02:14 AM
P
Poolman84 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
P
I thought this was going to lead to two girls in camo bikinis

Lone Star Pool Care
Service, remodel and repairs
Collin County and surrounding Counties
God Bless the USA
Re: Beautiful Trespassers [Re: mikei] #6515415 10/28/16 07:22 AM
X
XDshooter Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
X
You're a GOOD neighbor! Those guys look every bit as well fed as cattle!

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide