Forums46
Topics536,986
Posts9,719,146
Members86,987
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years #6512659 10/26/16 04:50 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Among other things:

http://www.newsweek.com/texas-fines-whooping-crane-killer-revokes-his-gun-rights-513612

Quote:
The Texas man, Trey Joseph Frederick, admitted to shooting two whooping cranes in January with a rifle near the Louisiana border, according to court documents. U.S. Magistrate Judge Zack Hawthorn, from the Eastern District of Texas, also revoked Frederick’s hunting license and access to firearms for the next five years. The sentence includes 200 hours of community service—the most the court has ever issued—and a fine of $25,810, to be split between Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation and the International Crane Foundation, an organization that raises the animals and releases them into the wild.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512663 10/26/16 04:52 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
lose gun right for 5 years for killing a whooping crane...almost seems worth it, its the $25k that would stop me

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512664 10/26/16 04:53 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Lucky he didn't lose it for a lifetime.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: aerangis] #6512673 10/26/16 04:56 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: aerangis

yeah I thought it was a way bigger deal for killing one also

Attention rickym, this is not a troll post, just a good hearted fun type of post
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512688 10/26/16 05:04 PM
B
Buffs 1 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B

Quote:
The Texas man, Trey Joseph Frederick, admitted to shooting two whooping cranes in January WITH A RIFLE near the Louisiana border,

That't the part that gets me. It's not like it was a guy on a crane hunt who just couldn't ID them.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Buffs 1] #6512696 10/26/16 05:07 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Buffs 1

Quote:
The Texas man, Trey Joseph Frederick, admitted to shooting two whooping cranes in January WITH A RIFLE near the Louisiana border,

That't the part that gets me. It's not like it was a guy on a crane hunt who just couldn't ID them.

If I remember correctly, he admitted to knowing what he was doing. His FaceBook page was all about what a prolific waterfowl hunter he was and how he lived and breathed it. He knew what he was doing. He pled guilty, too.

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: garrett] #6512700 10/26/16 05:08 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: garrett

I did too. At least the fine part. It's up to $50k for killing them. He killed two with a rifle on purpose and was fined $28k?

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512701 10/26/16 05:09 PM
P
postoak Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
The kid was only 18 years old and is probably immature for his age. I did lots of stupid things when I was a teen.

What I don't understand is how a judge can take away your gun-owning rights, unless this was part of a plea-bargain he accepted.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: postoak] #6512726 10/26/16 05:19 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: postoak
What I don't understand is how a judge can take away your gun-owning rights, unless this was part of a plea-bargain he accepted.

I guess it is a felony crime. All felons lose the right to own guns.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: postoak] #6512738 10/26/16 05:25 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
The kid was only 18 years old and is probably immature for his age. I did lots of stupid things when I was a teen.

He was convicted, there was no plea deal. Maybe with crimes against wildlife a federal judge is able to do this?

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: krmitchell] #6512779 10/26/16 05:42 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
I guess this wasn't in the name of science?

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Limit Extender] #6512796 10/26/16 05:48 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

if he was only 18 and immature for his age he might not have known about that loophole

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512801 10/26/16 05:50 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
The lower sentencing may be related to the Louisiana stocked birds being considered a non-essential, experimental population under the Endangered Species Act. The good news is the remaining Louisiana population produced a couple chicks this year. First time in something like 75 years.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: garrett] #6512802 10/26/16 05:50 PM
L
Limit Extender Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
L
Originally Posted By: Limit Extender

if he was only 18 and immature for his age he might not have known about that loophole

It helps to be informed.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512831 10/26/16 06:02 PM
D
DUKFVR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
He deserved ALOT more.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6512844 10/26/16 06:08 PM
W
Woodlands Water Turkey Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
W
Agree, he got off easy.

He was bragging about what he did.

Last edited by Woodlands Water Turkey; 10/26/16 06:08 PM.
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: garrett] #6512885 10/26/16 06:20 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

You'd think. He may be 18 but he's an adult and an experienced hunter. If he's willing to knowingly kill a protected bird and brag about it, he's not fit to hunt or possess a firearm.

Wouldn't surprise me if the boy set cats on fire when he was a kid.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: aerangis] #6512903 10/26/16 06:28 PM
garrett Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity

You'd think. He may be 18 but he's an adult and an experienced hunter. If he's willing to knowingly kill a protected bird and brag about it, he's not fit to hunt or possess a firearm.

whoa now...lets face it, if whooping cranes wernt so dumb they wouldnt be close to extinction, so in the big scheme of things is it a huge loss?

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: LarryCopper] #6512928 10/26/16 06:38 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

Not sure if this applies in that young mans situation but I do know some hunting violations fall under the Texas Administrative Code. An administrative judge or TPWD can revoke your hunting license the same way DPS can revoke a drivers license at an ALR hearing. And administrative code offenses have a lower burden of proof.

Example....... Hunting without a plugged shotgun is an administrative code offense.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five years [Re: LarryCopper] #6512930 10/26/16 06:39 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: LarryCopper

His is only temporary, after 5 years he is allowed to have firearms and hunt/fish again according to an article I read.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five year [Re: garrett] #6512972 10/26/16 06:56 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

whoa now...lets face it, if whooping cranes wernt so dumb they wouldnt be close to extinction, so in the big scheme of things is it a huge loss?

I wouldn't say Whooping Cranes are dumb. Obviously, they can't drive a car. But they've thrived as a specie a heck of a lot longer than we have. If it weren't for the Lacey Act, there'd be a heck of a lot more endangered or extinct wildlife including quite a few species of ducks and geese. Market hunting was he11 on wildlife at the turn of the last century.

We all know what happened to Passenger Pigeons, from an estimated population of 15 million birds to 0. And Bison....and......

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five year [Re: Duck_Hunter] #6513142 10/26/16 08:10 PM
F
Featherduster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
For some reason I thought he lost the right to own a firearm for a lifetime. But the link you just posted proves me wrong.

Here's the way I see it. When I was 18 I did so much dumb crap that if I got caught my sentence and punishment wouldn't touch what this kid got. Looking back on all that, I realize how stupid all of that was. People grow up. I'm sure everything the kid got was enough to teach him a lesson. He probably feels terrible and is more than embarrassed. At that age embarrassment is a big thing.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five year [Re: Featherduster] #6513167 10/26/16 08:23 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Featherduster
For some reason I thought he lost the right to own a firearm for a lifetime. But the link you just posted proves me wrong.

Here's the way I see it. When I was 18 I did so much dumb crap that if I got caught my sentence and punishment wouldn't touch what this kid got. Looking back on all that, I realize how stupid all of that was. People grow up. I'm sure everything the kid got was enough to teach him a lesson. He probably feels terrible and is more than embarrassed. At that age embarrassment is a big thing.

I think some of the confusion surrounding it is because it is a federal crime w/ punishment in federal prison (if sentenced to prison) but it is still a misdemeanor offense even though it is on a federal level.

Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five year [Re: krmitchell] #6513212 10/26/16 08:41 PM
Duck_Hunter Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

I think some of the confusion surrounding it is because it is a federal crime w/ punishment in federal prison (if sentenced to prison) but it is still a misdemeanor offense even though it is on a federal level.

Correct.

[Linked Image]
Re: Whooping Crane killer loses gun rights for five year [Re: Featherduster] #6513222 10/26/16 08:45 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A

As a kid, when I was first handed firearms and allowed to hunt or shoot on my own, I knew better than to shoot protected wildlife, or livestock for that matter. And my fear of the law paled in comparison to the fear I had of what my old man would do to my backside if I broke the rules or the law with a firearm.

I'd imagine most folks that have been hunting long enough were taught right from wrong as I'm sure that young man was.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide