475692 Topics
6240130 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6511464 - 10/25/16 05:47 PM Rant: I Hate 300 BLK
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

I have the Ammunition and Reloading forum in my Watch list. For those you of you that follow it, you're familiar with the few 300 BLK threads that are going on there. Those threads are the catalyst to this rant.

I hate 300 BLK. And it's not the fault of the cartridge. A former colleague of mine is who started it for me. A 300 BLK fan boy. The only weapon he owns shoots it. He thinks it's the greatest cartridge ever developed yet knows little, if any, about others. Here's how that came to light.

While in the office one day I was talking with another colleague about rifles. Fan boy was eavesdropping and invited himself into the conversation when he heard the other fellow say "300" (fan boy said that is what really caught his attention). What he didn't know is that the fellow I was talking with was asking me about my 300 *Winchester Magnum* but fan boy wanted to correct the other guy on cartridge performance. I immediately put two and two together and let him know we weren't talking about 300 BLK. Turns out he had heard of 300 Winchester Magnum but thought it was basically the same because of the "300". Even to the point that he left the conversation to Google, coming back a few minutes later in shock that people other than him can be correct (he's one of those people that knows everything about everything, just ask and they'll tell ya).

So he built his 300 BLK AR, bought basic reloading equipment, worked up a subsonic load for home defense then bought supplies, he says, to load 10k rounds. And has no suppressor.

300 BLK, I'm sorry, it's not fair to you but I hate you because of a dip$h!t.

I keep trying to forget about fan boy (our department was a part of a re-org so we no longer work under the same boss thankfully) but the Ammo and Reload posts keep bringing the matter to the forefront of my mind. Feels like a barrage the last few days.

Rant out.

-Mickey

* In search of 1 or 2 person lease, 3 hours from DFW, Please PM me

#6511488 - 10/25/16 06:04 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
Kawabuggy Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Houston, TX
I just recently got one. I don't think there is any one thing that it excels at. There are other cartridges that are better than it in every category (in short).

I got mine because it is a light rifle, that I have a suppressor on, and I can load subsonic and shoot pigs from a blind without disturbing other wildlife nearby. It was cheap, and I am always interested in other calibers. Would I choose it for anything other than novelty? No. Do I think it is a good cartridge? Not really. Can I say I own one? Yep! Would I pay more than $300 to own one? Not in a million years. Will I use it in the blind for taking out raccoons, skunks, oppossums, armadillo's, and anything else I need to kill without letting the neighbors know? Yep. Is it something that I can let my kids use without damaging their hearing? Yep. Other than that... It is just another tool to add to my box of tools.

#6511497 - 10/25/16 06:10 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
SapperTitan Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Why is this in the off topic section?

#6511530 - 10/25/16 06:27 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: SapperTitan]
Creedmoor Offline
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Why is this in the off topic section?

Why is it in ANY section?

Dang, MM ..... If my inquiry in the A&R forum offended you, I apologize. No .... actually I don't. I asked for info and I appreciated the response I got. I'm smart enough to know that there are people out there that know more than I do, and I'm not hesitant to seek out other people's experiences.

I have several different chamberings in a variety of actions and I purchased each one with a set purpose in mind. Whether the BLK is a good choice is strictly opinion. Personally, I have no use for a 204 or a 30-30, but I don't go around hammering them into the ground. I just purchased a 300 upper assembly and I do have a set purpose in mind for it. It's definitely a niche cartridge, and I knew that going in. I'm not a "fan boy" of any gun I own. They're tools and I use them as such.

Is there another reason for the soap dialogue?

#6511598 - 10/25/16 07:13 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Creedmoor]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Dang, MM ..... If my inquiry in the A&R forum offended you, I apologize. No .... actually I don't. I asked for info and I appreciated the response I got. I'm smart enough to know that there are people out there that know more than I do, and I'm not hesitant to seek out other people's experiences.

I have several different chamberings in a variety of actions and I purchased each one with a set purpose in mind. Whether the BLK is a good choice is strictly opinion. Personally, I have no use for a 204 or a 30-30, but I don't go around hammering them into the ground. I just purchased a 300 upper assembly and I do have a set purpose in mind for it. It's definitely a niche cartridge, and I knew that going in. I'm not a "fan boy" of any gun I own. They're tools and I use them as such.

Is there another reason for the soap dialogue?

My post was nothing more than a personal rant. If one could not find humor I would expect picking up on it being a stupid quirk of mine. Regardless, it should never have been taken as an insult to you or anybody else that posted in Ammo and Reloading. It's not even about the cartridge and I, whimsically, apologized to the cartridge. Now I'll apologize to you and extend it to anybody else that took offense. I'm sorry. It's a perfectly viable cartridge for some uses and I never said anything to the contrary.

I posted in Off Topic, to respond to you and SapperTitan, because it's not about the cartridge. It should have been easy to read, and read between the lines, that the root of my comical, even illogical, distaste stems from my know-it-all colleague. Some of you guys need to relax and try to find some humor.

#6511611 - 10/25/16 07:23 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Kawabuggy]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

And to Kawabuggy and everybody else - the post wasn't trying to create a cartridge p!$$ing contest. I never said anything good or bad about it or any other cartridge.

Kawabuggy and Creedmoor - you don't have to justify anything. Again, I understand there are good uses. Never challenged that.

Relax.

Edited by Mickey Moose (10/25/16 07:33 PM)
Edit Reason: I can't type

#6511612 - 10/25/16 07:24 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Katy, TX
Originally Posted By: Mickey Moose
Even to the point that he left the conversation to Google, coming back a few minutes later in shock that people other than him can be correct (he's one of those people that knows everything about everything, just ask and they'll tell ya).

-Mickey

You work with NP? roflmao

#6511618 - 10/25/16 07:28 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: TXHOGSLAYER]
Mickey Moose Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER
You work with NP? roflmao

Ha! No.

#6511819 - 10/25/16 08:59 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
jeepercreeper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
I jumped on the band wagon when the 300blk first came out. My initial excitement of a 30cal bullet out of an AR wore off pretty quickly though. First range trip zeroing a 4x scope with subsonic ammo was an eye opener. Felt like a 10yr old girl lobbing a football. Price and availability of the ammo due fo popularity at the time was annoying. Then I finally got an AR10 and my brief fling with the 300blk was over.

#6511839 - 10/25/16 09:05 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
SapperTitan Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
This is prob the worse rant I've ever read. Not even sure what made you mad.

#6511849 - 10/25/16 09:08 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
okstatefan Offline
Tracker

Loc: Forney, TX
Hey, there are a lot of niche and wildcat cartridges out there. Not everyone is going to agree on them all. Some rounds are better than others for certain tasks, and some rounds are more versatile than others for many tasks.

I recently sold out of a very nice AAC upper , ammo, brass, and dies. The round didn't work for what I wanted, but I sure do hope it works for what the new owner is looking to do.

A lot of people might argue that my "pet" caliber is or isn't all it's cracked up to be (.357 magnum); yet it is my go-to pistol and carbine round. Does it do everything a modern semi-auto caliber with improved load ballistics will do? I don't know. Will it every truly be a rifle cartridge? I doubt it. Does it work for my uses? Indeed it does. If a person explained to me all of the weaknesses and impracticalities of the round, would I ditch it and move on? NO.

#6511850 - 10/25/16 09:09 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
Korean Redneck Offline

Loc: Houston
Mickey, I totally get you. That cartridge for me is the 270. I used to work with a bunch of old school, country a$$ guys and, "there is no flatter shooting and harder hitting bullet than the 270. It's the ONLY cartridge u ever need."
Since then I've hated the caliber and it has nothing to do with the actual cartridge itself. The only reason we own one is because my wife wanted one.

Btw, your 300bo guy, I have a name for these types of people...self proclaimed experts.

Edited by Korean Redneck (10/25/16 09:10 PM)

#6511911 - 10/25/16 09:37 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Korean Redneck]
jeepercreeper Offline
Extreme Tracker

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: Korean Redneck
Mickey, I totally get you. That cartridge for me is the 270. I used to work with a bunch of old school, country a$$ guys and, "there is no flatter shooting and harder hitting bullet than the 270. It's the ONLY cartridge u ever need."
Since then I've hated the caliber and it has nothing to do with the actual cartridge itself. The only reason we own one is because my wife wanted one.

Btw, your 300bo guy, I have a name for these types of people...self proclaimed experts.

Well the 270 has been around a little while and harvested ALOT of game. We're not far out from the 100yr anniv.

#6511960 - 10/25/16 10:08 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
TTUhunter4 Offline
Tracker

Loc: Texas
Great cartridge if you want to shoot suppressed and/or build or buy an SBR. If you are looking for a cartridge for any purpose other than the two I just listed, there are better cartridges out there without question.

I own a .300 BLK rifle. I am by no means a hater, but I have never run into a cartridge with a group of fanboys that like to cover their ears and scream about how great their round is at everything quite like 300 BLK lovers.

Every AR-15 caliber has its group of diehard fans, but the 300 BLK guys are the most oblivious to reality for sure.

#6512025 - 10/25/16 10:57 PM Re: Rant: I Hate 300 BLK [Re: Mickey Moose]
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Buda
I personally don't like the cartridge. I read an article about the difficulties in developing it and it's performance. I cannot find a single application in my life where it would be beneficial in my arsenal. But that's why there's so many different flavors of chocolate. One to suit everyone's taste.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide