Print Thread
Snared Boar....not too happy. #6509616 10/24/16 10:29 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Snared this boar last night....but I was a little surprised to find him very much ALIVE and not at all happy.

I set a snare at an obvious 'fence crossing' for hogs, got it all brushed in and have checked it the last couple of days. In this pic the 'brush' is all gone because the hog destroyed it while pulling against the cable, but this represents an excellent spot to set a snare...with low probability of catching a non-target animal.

As I approached the snare set...the boar which had been laying down (I couldn't see it) stood up, let out a loud, guttural grunt and ran straight at me! It caught me very off guard...because I wasn't paying that much attention as I walked up. I normally carry a 45 acp with me whenever I go to check snares, but the hog would/could of covered the distance between us before I could have drawn and fired if it had popped the cable.

The cable held and actually snatched him around 180 °. He went back under the fence line, pulling the cable tight and facing me again.

I use cam locks on my snares and when hogs are caught properly around the neck...it dispatches them quickly.

So I wasn't quite sure why this one was still alive. One thing I WAS certain of....was that I was going to go back to the house and get my RIFLE. The 45 on my hip wasn't feeling all that comforting.

After dispatching the Hog I found out why it had been so mobile. It had been caught around the SNOUT and not the neck.

Now...this isn't first time I've caught one by the snout, but its the first time I've caught one with the snout and lower jaw together. Usually they will have the snare around the upper snout. This happens when they push through the snare with their mouth open.

Anyway, it is clear by the position of the snare loop (cam lock on bottom) that this hog either tried to 'back out' of the loop as it dropped off the wire...or pulled back and tightened the loop after it had already 'fired'. A lucky catch actually.

But that is precisely the reason I double load my snares and rig the 'deer stop' so that loop can close down to 3-1/2" which will allow deer (foot caught) to escape...but still close down on a hog. Fortunately....I have never caught a deer.

So....one less hog in the local population. A few thousand more to go. cry

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6509644 10/24/16 10:50 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
After going back to house for something heavier, did you change your drawers?

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6509670 10/24/16 11:16 PM
P
Pig_Popper Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Where'd you obtain the knowledge to design your snare - your explanation is great as is your execution .

Good job

This space is For Sale - inquire within ...
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: Dalee7892] #6509721 10/24/16 11:54 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892

No, it wasn't 'frightening' to me as much as I was startled/caught off guard. I left feeling a bit sheepish actually... because I know better than to casually approach a snare set.

I had looked ahead while I was approaching on the trail and didn't see anything, so assumed there was nothing in the snare though I wasn't yet close enough to see the loop on the barb wire or not.

I don't think the Boar was laying down because he was tired, I think he was trying to lay low in hopes I would walk by and not notice him.

I saw him right away when he stood up, you couldn't miss it. He came up on all fours at once, like his legs were hydraulic. Not the normal rear end first then front legs. BAM...he was just UP and coming.

I had some small trees nearby that I could have swung behind, but it bothered me that the hog had the drop on me because of my inattention.

I'm still in pretty good shape (for 62) but I'm not up for a 50 yard dash with a Hog on my Azz.

So it was an abject lesson for me.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6509746 10/25/16 12:13 AM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: flintknapper
I'm still in pretty good shape (for 62) but I'm not up for a 50 yard dash with a Hog on my Azz.

Yep, I have no illusions about outrunning a hog.

We (my buddy the landowner and I) have an informal rule that we don't go away from the house (he has ~700 acres) without at least one rifle. The only exception is when I'm doing tractor work.

Nice going with the snare!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6509787 10/25/16 12:34 AM
C
Caliche Kid Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Snared 2 yesterday, 150# sow and 200# boar. Both by upper snout. Both very annoyed. I somewhat expected them as the weather and moon were right. Glad to get rid of them. I don't run from hogs at 69 just shoot till they drop or ".........This is the time to get them before the deer hunters hit the stands. Good luck and hit them hard now. It's a long time till Feb.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: Caliche Kid] #6510058 10/25/16 02:32 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: Caliche Kid
Snared 2 yesterday, 150# sow and 200# boar. Both by upper snout. Both very annoyed. I somewhat expected them as the weather and moon were right.

Yes, upper snout is how I've caught them before. With Boars the snare loop pulls tight right behind the 'whetters' and they have zero chance of getting it off.

Most of my hogs are caught right around neck just behind the jaws.In those cases they are dead when I find them.

The worst scenario seems to be when they step through the loop and get one leg in it along with their head, the loop ends up on their shoulder and they have full pulling power available.

In the end...you can only set the snare using your best judgment (pick a spot, loop size, how far off the ground, etc) and hope for the best.

Keep after them!

Flint.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6510242 10/25/16 10:56 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Good job, and I'm glad a potentially "difficult" situation turned out all right! We need to keep in mind, at all times when we're "hoggin'" that these beasts can be very hazardous to our health!

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6510311 10/25/16 11:54 AM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
thanks for sharing

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6510407 10/25/16 12:58 PM
Bearclaw Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Cool stuff thanks for sharing. I figured a pig that size could just snap that cable in half.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6510871 10/25/16 04:56 PM
T
TexasUplander Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Good catch.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514620 10/27/16 06:31 PM
T
TXHunterKLewis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
That is great. You learn something new every day. Thanks for sharing.

V/R,

Kevin
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514636 10/27/16 06:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
I always try catching them around the snout but around top and bottom... they usually just sit and wait for you to get there... ones iv caught around the neck/shoulder tear a fence in two lol

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514637 10/27/16 06:47 PM
N
Navasot Offline
Hollywood
Hollywood
N
That's a big boy cheers

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514648 10/27/16 06:56 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
We ran snares on our old lease. We snared a boar a little over 200 lbs one morning. On the way out of the pasture we stopped to check the snares. I had my 54 Cal hawkin with me and I needed to shoot it off before we went home so decided to use it because it was loaded already. I got up within about 20 yards of him cocked it and fired, the cap popped and I had a misfire, but that hog went ballistic charging me hitting the end of the snare line... I couldn't get another cap on that nipple fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514691 10/27/16 07:19 PM
A
aerangis Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
A
How are you anchoring that snare?

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: aerangis] #6514838 10/27/16 09:08 PM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: aerangis
How are you anchoring that snare?

Depends on where I set it and what is available to anchor it to.

If set at a fence crossing...most often there is a suitable fence post handy to attach to. But if a small tree is close by (and a better choice)...I will use that.

For sets along trails or places where no naturally occurring anchor is available, then I use auger type anchors that I screw into the ground (not many rocks where I live).

Absent those two options, you can attach it to a 'drag' which can be any heavy object that is sturdy and likely to catch/hang up on surrounding brush or vegetation. But that is always my last choice.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6514845 10/27/16 09:13 PM
K
krmitchell Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
K

No, it wasn't 'frightening' to me as much as I was startled/caught off guard. I left feeling a bit sheepish actually... because I know better than to casually approach a snare set.

I had looked ahead while I was approaching on the trail and didn't see anything, so assumed there was nothing in the snare though I wasn't yet close enough to see the loop on the barb wire or not.

I don't think the Boar was laying down because he was tired, I think he was trying to lay low in hopes I would walk by and not notice him.

I saw him right away when he stood up, you couldn't miss it. He came up on all fours at once, like his legs were hydraulic. Not the normal rear end first then front legs. BAM...he was just UP and coming.

I had some small trees nearby that I could have swung behind, but it bothered me that the hog had the drop on me because of my inattention.

Had a similar incident when checking a trap last year. I saw that I had 9 pigs in the trap and got really excited about it. Usually ditch the 4 wheeler about 50 yrds away and walk in but I drove to about 10 yrds and hopped off. About the time I got off I saw two pigs come from either side of the trap. I had caught their buddies but they hadn't left yet. One peeled off but one ran straight at me. I got my pistol out in enough time to shoot at him but missed (or at least it didn't phase him) from like 3 yrds away but at least it ran the other direction after that. Never again will I approach a trap with a holstered pistol and I always walk in from farther out now. That one scared the hell out of me. I won't walk in the woods anymore unless I'm armed, those pigs are way faster than they look.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: krmitchell] #6515047 10/28/16 12:03 AM
F
flintknapper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

Had a similar incident when checking a trap last year. I saw that I had 9 pigs in the trap and got really excited about it. Usually ditch the 4 wheeler about 50 yrds away and walk in but I drove to about 10 yrds and hopped off. About the time I got off I saw two pigs come from either side of the trap. I had caught their buddies but they hadn't left yet. One peeled off but one ran straight at me. I got my pistol out in enough time to shoot at him but missed (or at least it didn't phase him) from like 3 yrds away but at least it ran the other direction after that. Never again will I approach a trap with a holstered pistol and I always walk in from farther out now. That one scared the hell out of me. I won't walk in the woods anymore unless I'm armed, those pigs are way faster than they look.

Had a boar make a run at me one night when I was checking a large pen trap. I had put up some cattle panels around a bunch of planted pines and made a large wooden gate. I had been bowhunting one evening and heard the gate slam shut.

On my way out...I stopped to check it. It was completely dark by then and my only source of light was one of those 'mini-mag' flashlights (this was 20+ years ago, no LED flashlights yet). Anyway...I walked right up to the trap and saw a single Sow in the back of it.

Suddenly, I heard a loud 'WOOF' in the dark several yards away. I shone the weak beam of the flashlight that direction just in time to see the boar come charging my way. Since I was right at the pen trap...I jumped up on one of the panels and Boar passed by and kept on going (thankfully).

I rattled me enough that I was anxious all way back to my truck, thinking it might still be around.

I can only guess the Sow was in Estrous and the Boar (being interested) was hanging around the outside the trap back in the pines. I never had any indication he was there until he made that WOOF sound and came at me.

I got a 6 cell Maglight the very next day. Not easy to carry into the woods, but worth it. Now days...we have really great LED flashlights that are small and will illuminate objects a hundred yards away easily.

Re: Snared Boar....not too happy. [Re: flintknapper] #6515100 10/28/16 12:42 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Those of us who hunt hogs and trap them frequently can get to be a bit complacent. An encounter like those described in this thread should be a wake up call to all us: these animals are dangerous and unpredictable. And while there are very few deaths attributed to feral hog encounters, there are some pretty grim stories about days and weeks spent in hospitals while recuperating from major lacerations and infections. Keep yourself well armed, your head on a swivel, and your "situational awareness" at a very high level when you're out there amongst 'em!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide