Print Thread
Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? #6503137 10/20/16 12:20 AM
W
WestTexasGolfer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
I have never had a scope with a zoom function on it and I am looking at purchasing one. I would like to know if there is a certain way to properly zero these scopes in? If I zero it at 100 yards zoomed all the way out if I zoom in at 100 yards does it affect the shot at all? I know this is probably a really basic question for some of the optics gurus but its new to me and I want more information before I go about purchasing one.

Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: WestTexasGolfer] #6503185 10/20/16 12:49 AM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Point of impact should not change when magnification is changed. If it's a decent scope, that is. The early variables were criticized for changes in POI when magnification was changed, but that is pretty much no longer the case.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: WestTexasGolfer] #6503323 10/20/16 02:04 AM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Golfer, there is a proper way to set up a scope, and if done otherwise you'll have problems. I could type it all out for you, but it is quicker to provide a link to the procedure. This was written by a person who is in the optics business and it is dead on. The set-up procedure is in the last 3rd of the article.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: WestTexasGolfer] #6503363 10/20/16 02:35 AM
U
Upland007 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
U
That is a great article Creedmoor

Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: Creedmoor] #6503376 10/20/16 02:45 AM
W
WestTexasGolfer Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Golfer, there is a proper way to set up a scope, and if done otherwise you'll have problems. I could type it all out for you, but it is quicker to provide a link to the procedure. This was written by a person who is in the optics business and it is dead on. The set-up procedure is in the last 3rd of the article.

http://www.snipercountry.com/Articles/Parallax.asp

Is there a video on this anywhere to explain it better? I really don't understand the parallax and how the reticle can "move" each time you look at it...???
CANCEL THAT I FOUND SEVERAL VIDEOS... MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!! THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

Last edited by WestTexasGolfer; 10/20/16 02:45 AM.
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: WestTexasGolfer] #6503386 10/20/16 02:48 AM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: WestTexasGolfer

Is there a video on this anywhere to explain it better? I really don't understand the parallax and how the reticle can "move" each time you look at it...???
CANCEL THAT I FOUND SEVERAL VIDEOS... MAKES PERFECT SENSE!!! THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

The main thing to remember is that once you FOCUS the scope eyepiece, you should never move it again. Lots of folks mess up by trying to focus the scope instead of adjusting the parallax setting.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: Upland007] #6503389 10/20/16 02:50 AM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: PWRANCH
That is a great article Creedmoor

A good friend wrote that a while back. He's forgotten more about scopes than I ever knew.

Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: WestTexasGolfer] #6503451 10/20/16 03:21 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
I believe most scopes have a certain magnification you're supposed to have it set on to sight in that particular scope. Should say in the owners manual.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: LFD2037] #6503567 10/20/16 10:44 AM
P_102 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: LFD2037
I believe most scopes have a certain magnification you're supposed to have it set on to sight in that particular scope. Should say in the owners manual.

No. But if you have a BDC, MOA or MIL reticle in a scope that is 'second focal plane' the graduations will only be accurate at a certain power, usually whatever is max. If it is a 'first focal plane' scope, those graduations change as you zoom in/out and are always accurate. P_102

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: P_102] #6503676 10/20/16 12:50 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: P_102

No. But if you have a BDC, MOA or MIL reticle in a scope that is 'second focal plane' the graduations will only be accurate at a certain power, usually whatever is max. If it is a 'first focal plane' scope, those graduations change as you zoom in/out and are always accurate. P_102

P_102 is correct.

Zero will not be different on any magnification.

Hold overs will change, with magnification, on a second focal plane scope.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: J.G.] #6503697 10/20/16 01:03 PM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

P_102 is correct.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I took it for granted that people understood the zero won't change w/magnification. I was poorly explaining how the reticle (BSC, MOA, Mil) on each scope has a 'set' magnification when zeroing that changes when the magnification is changed to a different setting (w/SFP scope). P_102 did a much better job of explaining what I was trying to say! up

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Stupid Question but... Scopes that zoom???? [Re: LFD2037] #6506515 10/22/16 04:23 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

P_102 is correct.

I guess I wasn't clear enough. I took it for granted that people understood the zero won't change w/magnification. I was poorly explaining how the reticle (BSC, MOA, Mil) on each scope has a 'set' magnification when zeroing that changes when the magnification is changed to a different setting (w/SFP scope). P_102 did a much better job of explaining what I was trying to say! up

I think part of that confusion comes from the fact that not many adjustable AO or side focus scopes are accurate with the yardage markings. I have several and only a few are accurate. I use a small scribe to make marks on the adjustments so I can get them right.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide