Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6506786 10/22/16 09:23 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I would think be able to hold 2-3 MOA at 100 yds would be the minimum. If you can't hit a large great fruit at 100 you need more practice before shooting at an animal

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Hunt n Fish] #6506865 10/22/16 10:23 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Hunt n Fish
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
Think of this, some women can shoot better than men. Don't put them down until you see what they can do. There are a lot of women hunters out there.

up

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6506946 10/22/16 11:38 PM
B
bull279 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I don't think there is a set standard. I see alot of people saying X-MOAs at 100 yds.

I think if you are going to shoot at animals at 100 yds, that it fine. But I think you need to practice at the maximum distance you are possibly going to have to shoot a target.

I understand that small MOAs at 100 yds translate to less error at a greater distance, but there is a mental aspect to shooting at something farther away than something nearby.

If you can hit a small dessert plate at varying expected target distances (for the sake of argument, in 50 yard intervals), I think that would be reasonable for a hunter to attempt a humane kill.

But, the more practice... the better.

And I would put my wife up against most of the people on the forum for pistol shooting.

Last edited by bull279; 10/22/16 11:40 PM.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam

U.S. Army Military Police (ABN) 1998-2003
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: scalebuster] #6507230 10/23/16 11:24 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: scalebuster
If you can hit a paper plate 5 times in a row at 100 yards you're ready to deer hunt.

Agreed. The sport is plagued with those who consider hitting a target with a single shot just to "check their zero" as all they need to prepare for the season. It's a much greater challenge to do it five or more times without ever being off target.

I might even bump that number up to 10.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6507425 10/23/16 03:24 PM
S
sparrish8 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
Depends what your hunting, I wouldnt do a western style elk or mule deer hunt without being able to shoot 400 yds because you will get oppurtunitues at that distance 100-200 yds not so much, whitetail hunting a shoiter ahould be able to consustently shoot 200 tds accurately.

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6507588 10/23/16 06:11 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
If you can hit a paper plate 5 times in a row at 100 yards you're ready to deer hunt.

I used to see this at the public ranges. People staple up a 9" paper plate because that is the approximate size of the kill zone of deer and whatever distance they can hit is at, they consider themselves zeroed and GTG, usually 50 or 100 yards. They might be 4" high or low, left or right, but "if it is on paper, then it is venison in the freezer," one fellow told me. The problem is that if you can only group on a 9" plate under no pressure and no time constraints, in broad daylight, what is going to happen to you in the field when the adrenaline kicks in and you see that buck 20 minutes after sundown in low light?

Quote:
Yes, I see this every day here. Our club has 50, 100, 200, 300, & 500 ranges available. Every year in early Fall there are a bunch of guys that "zero" (term used loosely) their rifles on the 50 yard range. I have asked several of them why they don't use the 100 at least and not the 200. Their reply is .... "Here in Tennessee it's rare to have a shot over 50 yards". And for the most part they're correct. But that leaves them poorly prepared for a shot across a hay field at 175 yards on the buck of their lifetime. And what are they going to do? They're going to launch a bullet recklessly across the field with their best guess.

Actually, if they are shooting a Hornady factory 150 gr SST round that they have zeroed at 50 yards, then the are about perfect for 175 yards, only about 3/4" low - which is pretty darned good. That of course assumes that they are actually zeroed and actually know the ballistics of their round.

I was continually amazed by the folks that would show up at the range the weekend before deer season and consider "being on paper" good enough to hunt deer. Some had 9" paper plates, 8.5x11" paper, or 8" shoot-n-see.

Quote:
But we're saying the same thing. There's no "standard". I see people at our club shoot itty bitty groups all the time, but that doesn't mean their talents are field worthy. Accurate field shooting has no connection with shooting from a concrete bench in the shade off of a lead sled. So how are you going to set a "standard"?

A hunter that can shoot little bitty groups at the range probably knows his gun, ammo, and ballistics and has a much better chance of getting a deer than the hunters who shoot a 7" group on a paper plate and consider themselves "ready for deer season." It is naive to believe that a person who isn't proficient at the range will become proficient in the field. That person may get lucky once in a while, but that is about it. You blast away at enough deer over the season and you will come home with one.

Quote:
Honestly (or seriously, lol) each hunter knows in their minds and hearts whether they can reliably take a shooting opportunity when it presents itself. It then comes down to their integrity and sense of sportsmanship.

No, a whole lot really don't. Many of the hunters that prepare for the season or who have a life time of proper experience may know when they can and cannot take a shot, but far too many people are consumed with buck fever, running out of daylight, running out of weekend, or running out of season and who blast away with hail Mary shots. Some of these are new hunters. Some are new shooters. Some are life long hunters that get their rifles bore-sighted at the local gun store before they go hunt.

I have never figured out why it is that hunters pay so much money for gear, travel, leases, guides, etc. and then expect their shots to magically connect with their targets when they get into the field, having done very little actual prep beyond packing for the trip and buying beer.

Quote:
We're on the same page but are presenting it in a different manner I think

You may be on the same page, but what is the group size? roflmao

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6507604 10/23/16 06:23 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy

Actually, if they are shooting a Hornady factory 150 gr SST round that they have zeroed at 50 yards, then the are about perfect for 175 yards, only about 3/4" low - which is pretty darned good. That of course assumes that they are actually zeroed and actually know the ballistics of their round.

Dang .... you spent a lot of time breaking my post into little sections.

Who said these guys were shooting 150 grain bullets? Heck, I see this with muzzleloaders, 223s, 308s, 30-06s, you name it. Bottom line is that they have ZERO idea what they are doing at ranges over 50 yards.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6507616 10/23/16 06:35 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
Who said these guys were shooting 150 grain bullets?

Who said where the people that are zeroing at 50 and who say they don't usually have a shot beyond 50 will get a shot out to 175 yards? Their logic about not having a shot over 50 yards may be quite solid for where they are hunting. If you have a 60 yard clearing that you hunt, then it is pretty silly to have a 100 yard zero.

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6507620 10/23/16 06:41 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
You're just wanting an argument over hypothetical circumstances .... popcorn

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Double Naught Spy] #6510366 10/25/16 12:35 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted By: Double Naught Spy
Quote:

I used to see this at the public ranges. People staple up a 9" paper plate because that is the approximate size of the kill zone of deer and whatever distance they can hit is at, they consider themselves zeroed and GTG, usually 50 or 100 yards. They might be 4" high or low, left or right, but "if it is on paper, then it is venison in the freezer," one fellow told me. The problem is that if you can only group on a 9" plate under no pressure and no time constraints, in broad daylight, what is going to happen to you in the field when the adrenaline kicks in and you see that buck 20 minutes after sundown in low light?

Quote:
Yes, I see this every day here. Our club has 50, 100, 200, 300, & 500 ranges available. Every year in early Fall there are a bunch of guys that "zero" (term used loosely) their rifles on the 50 yard range. I have asked several of them why they don't use the 100 at least and not the 200. Their reply is .... "Here in Tennessee it's rare to have a shot over 50 yards". And for the most part they're correct. But that leaves them poorly prepared for a shot across a hay field at 175 yards on the buck of their lifetime. And what are they going to do? They're going to launch a bullet recklessly across the field with their best guess.

I was continually amazed by the folks that would show up at the range the weekend before deer season and consider "being on paper" good enough to hunt deer. Some had 9" paper plates, 8.5x11" paper, or 8" shoot-n-see.

Quote:
But we're saying the same thing. There's no "standard". I see people at our club shoot itty bitty groups all the time, but that doesn't mean their talents are field worthy. Accurate field shooting has no connection with shooting from a concrete bench in the shade off of a lead sled. So how are you going to set a "standard"?

A hunter that can shoot little bitty groups at the range probably knows his gun, ammo, and ballistics and has a much better chance of getting a deer than the hunters who shoot a 7" group on a paper plate and consider themselves "ready for deer season." It is naive to believe that a person who isn't proficient at the range will become proficient in the field. That person may get lucky once in a while, but that is about it. You blast away at enough deer over the season and you will come home with one.

Quote:
Honestly (or seriously, lol) each hunter knows in their minds and hearts whether they can reliably take a shooting opportunity when it presents itself. It then comes down to their integrity and sense of sportsmanship.

No, a whole lot really don't. Many of the hunters that prepare for the season or who have a life time of proper experience may know when they can and cannot take a shot, but far too many people are consumed with buck fever, running out of daylight, running out of weekend, or running out of season and who blast away with hail Mary shots. Some of these are new hunters. Some are new shooters. Some are life long hunters that get their rifles bore-sighted at the local gun store before they go hunt.

I have never figured out why it is that hunters pay so much money for gear, travel, leases, guides, etc. and then expect their shots to magically connect with their targets when they get into the field, having done very little actual prep beyond packing for the trip and buying beer.

Quote:
We're on the same page but are presenting it in a different manner I think

You may be on the same page, but what is the group size? roflmao

Nice! Thank you...

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6510382 10/25/16 12:43 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Who knows. I practiced when I was younger, but I don't think it helped too much I was used to running the woods shooting stuff my whole life, moving from a 22 or bb gun to a rifle was little change.

My I took my wife to practice a bit, she has never lost, missed, or wounded a deer, but the last 3 she shot weren't hit where they were supposed to be....

My budy took his wife she hadn't practiced, handed her his 7mm wby and said shoot it in the center of the neck and she has collected several deer without issue.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Creedmoor] #6510399 10/25/16 12:53 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor

Seriously?

Any range that the rifle and shooter are capable of making a clean kill. It ain't rocket science. Either you can make the shot or you can't. Any doubt is reason to let the animal walk. There is no "standard". Every individual has to make these decisions for themselves.

Yes, seriously.

Agree 101% with "capable of making a clean kill."

The question is what is the level of proficiency will make that happen with a high degree of reliability?

Pictures here regularly show targets with ok groups, but which are 6" off the bullseye at 100 yards under range conditions.

Go to a public range and watch people use sandbags or worse a Lead Sled concentrate like they are going to shoot a gnat. Yet, they end up with a target at 100 yards resembling a shotgun pattern.

Personally, I expect those I help to be able to hit a 4" circle at 100 yards off of a 2"x4" clamped between benches to simulate a deer blind, and at 200 yards use a 6" target.

The dessert plate post above actually seems like a reasonable expectation, if the person can hit it reliably.

One thing I see over and over at the range this time of the year, many are way overgunned and way underpracticed.

We're on the same page but are presenting it in a different manner I think. wink up

This is the problem with too many people today. I've helped at the range the two weekends before rifle season and seen the high percentage of guys who show up and can't shoot, don't have the right caliber ammo, have mixed ammo of the right caliber like 150 grain, 165 grain '06 ammo or equipment not set up right like scopes not tight or level. It's scary to me that these folks represent the hunting community.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6510417 10/25/16 01:05 PM
H
hook_n_line Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
We have some short shots on my place because of the thick woods. If you can shoot a paint can with an open site 30/30 at 25 to 50 yards its plenty good enough.

Last edited by hook_n_line; 10/25/16 01:06 PM.

Sometimes it's hard being me! But somebody has to do it.
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: hook_n_line] #6510501 10/25/16 01:48 PM
K
kweber Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
K
shoot! and shoot often...Teddy Roosevelt

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: kweber] #6510901 10/25/16 05:13 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I once missed a deer with a shotgun at less than 10 yards. Guess I'm out forever. bolt

But I did shoot this 5 shot group the other day with my .308 at 100 yards. That's a half inch bull on the target.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6510932 10/25/16 05:32 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Quote:
This is the problem with too many people today. I've helped at the range the two weekends before rifle season and seen the high percentage of guys who show up and can't shoot, don't have the right caliber ammo, have mixed ammo of the right caliber like 150 grain, 165 grain '06 ammo or equipment not set up right like scopes not tight or level. It's scary to me that these folks represent the hunting community.

I have seen this. They have ammo to "sight in with" and ammo to "hunt with" and the sighting in ammo may be nothing like the hunting ammo. However, you don't want to waste your expensive hunting ammo on paper right? So you never shoot your hunting ammo at the range. loco

Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6510969 10/25/16 05:53 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
S
If someone is hunting on my ranch, I ask them to put three shots within 3" of bullseye at 100 yards. If they can do that, I will give them the green light to hunt. I prefer a tighter group, but most shots at the stands I put them in will be around 100 yards. Most of my hunting buddies can group 1", and are comfortable up to 200 yards at 2-3", which is what I'd like to see, ideally, and they know what shots they can ethically make.

Even when friends come in and say they are sighted in, and I know they are capable hunters, I still ask them to go to our range and take a couple shots at 100 yards to make sure their scopes didn't get bumped or anything in the trip over. Seen it happen before. I take my practice shots as well, every time. It is my ethical responsibility to make sure I, along with my friends & family, will be able to hit the target they are aiming at. I spend a lot of time and money on my place, and I care about the ethical shots everyone takes. I also go over gun safety with them before every hunt, and review pictures of what is on the hit list and what is not. Had one friend laugh and say something last season to the effect that I do this every hunting season and when will I stop? I told him he was free to hunt elsewhere, if he didn't want to listen to a 3 minute safety speech/reminder and take 2-3 shots at a range before each hunting season. My ranch. My rules. Later that day he actually thanked me for doing this. It was how I was raised and how I will always be.

By the way, in response to the above posts, I'v also seen a lot of hunters that use "sighting in ammo" and then "hunting ammo". I can understand using a less expensive and similar grain ammo to get on paper when 1st sighting in a new scope, but after that, you should use the same ammo to dial in as the ammo you plan to shoot in the field.

Last edited by George - w/ Map My Ranch; 10/25/16 05:54 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #6511156 10/25/16 07:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Very reasonable, George. I wish more land owners would do the same. up

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Minimum Shooting Skill? [Re: jeffbird] #6511486 10/25/16 11:02 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I like to shoot my bow before I hunt each trip to the lease as well.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide