6246652 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6505805 - 10/21/16 04:49 PM Wing on a String - I was hesitant
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mckinney, Texas
I was hesitant to do the whole wing on a string thing. I really don't want my pup getting used to doing any sight pointing. However, I am going to get him on some live birds in the next couple of weeks and then wild birds this season, so I wanted to see what he had in him.

He held steady much better than expected. Exciting stuff if you ask me.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.

#6505817 - 10/21/16 05:01 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
TXPanhandler Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Texas Panhandle
My dad and I have done this with every dog we've had since reading "Gun Dog" by Richard Wolters, and they have all been stud bird finders. It is great practice for them and really gets them fired up about the whole deal.

Good looking pup! cheers

#6505845 - 10/21/16 05:41 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
I like it.

#6506260 - 10/22/16 06:38 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
colt45 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
always started this way,never had a problem

#6506272 - 10/22/16 07:17 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
reeltexan Offline
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS

Me too.

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#6506402 - 10/22/16 09:41 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: colt45]
Chet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Benbrook
Originally Posted By: colt45
always started this way,never had a problem

Have started more pups than I like to admit (getting old) and everyone was tested on the wing. Never a regret.

#6506465 - 10/22/16 10:38 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
dune2218 Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Temple, tx
me too

#6508481 - 10/24/16 07:44 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Glad to hear the positive feedback on this particular method of introduction

The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.

#6508572 - 10/24/16 08:31 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cedar Creek, TX
My father used to do that as well. The funniest method for training I never thought would work, but was amazing, was putting a quail to sleep.. lol. He would take a half dozen quail and put them to sleep and then place them under a bush and mark the bush with toilet paper or something and then lead the dogs in that direction. The dang birds would be there.

Thought h was a kook till I saw it.. heh

R

#6508754 - 10/24/16 10:06 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: JohnRussell]
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
My father used to do that as well. The funniest method for training I never thought would work, but was amazing, was putting a quail to sleep.. lol. He would take a half dozen quail and put them to sleep and then place them under a bush and mark the bush with toilet paper or something and then lead the dogs in that direction. The dang birds would be there.

Thought h was a kook till I saw it.. heh

R

Did the birds flush?

#6508812 - 10/24/16 10:25 AM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
JohnRussell Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: Cedar Creek, TX
Oh, you bet. He had to kick the bush to wake them up, but yea.. they flushed and he got to shoot over the dog.

He would tuck the head of the quail under their wing and then stretch their legs out as he rubbed their belly. As they fell asleep, the legs would stay stretched out.

He picked it up from a old trainer in west Texas.

Again, pretty cool trick and a good way to ensure birds for a young dog, albeit like shooting fish in a barrel.

#6509170 - 10/24/16 01:19 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: JohnRussell]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: JohnRussell
Oh, you bet. He had to kick the bush to wake them up, but yea.. they flushed and he got to shoot over the dog.

He would tuck the head of the quail under their wing and then stretch their legs out as he rubbed their belly. As they fell asleep, the legs would stay stretched out.

He picked it up from a old trainer in west Texas.

Again, pretty cool trick and a good way to ensure birds for a young dog, albeit like shooting fish in a barrel.

I've used the exact same method including the toilet paper while training with my Johnny house quail.

#6509619 - 10/24/16 05:33 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
This is fun and all, but once you start with live birds, don't go back to this. This method could cause the pup to only sight point and start creeping up and not using his nose. I use the wing, but not for long. If he will point and somewhat hold the wing, it probably time to start some whoa training. Your pup looks intense but I would start stroking him up to raise his head and front. Be gentle and quite around him while on point and just ease him up. The wing is for playing but training birds are for real! Be patient and have a good time with him.

Best of Luck!

#6509713 - 10/24/16 06:51 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
THF Celebrity

Originally Posted By: NorthTXbirdhunter
This is fun and all, but once you start with live birds, don't go back to this. This method could cause the pup to only sight point and start creeping up and not using his nose. I use the wing, but not for long. If he will point and somewhat hold the wing, it probably time to start some whoa training. Your pup looks intense but I would start stroking him up to raise his head and front. Be gentle and quite around him while on point and just ease him up. The wing is for playing but training birds are for real! Be patient and have a good time with him.

Best of Luck!

I don't totally agree. My bird dogs have sight pointed in the back yard all their lives. They seem,to know the difference. I'm also not a fan of stroking dogs up. I think they go into a trance when they are pointing and touching them or talking to them breaks the spell.

#6509755 - 10/24/16 07:16 PM Re: Wing on a String - I was hesitant [Re: duckbill]
poisonivie Offline

Loc: Bridgeport, Tx
I am definitely not a trainer but I would defer to Bill on this matter. I am not a purist and if my dog will point a bird long enough for me to shoot it and then fetch it, I'm in hog heaven. My dog stops about 3-5' short of me on retrieve but that's good enough for me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide