Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MPBR #6503464 10/20/16 03:28 AM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Does any one sight their hunting rifles in using a maximum point blank range for a 3" rise and fall from line-of-sight?

Chuck Hawk rifle trajectory table

Using this method you only have to remember the MPBR for your caliber and bullet weight and you hold dead on to that range. After that you have to remember drop figures but for most rifles game will be taken inside MPBR.

One cool thing about that table is it allows you to easily see what the flattest shooting calibers are.

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503613 10/20/16 11:59 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
We used to sight in at 25 yards when reloading for our .270 with 130 grain bullets. We were good to 300 yards with that zero and it was back in the bulleye at 240 or so yards IIRC. Put you about the same numbers as his chart for .270 130 grains. We used the same 25 yard sight in for 6mm with 105 grain bullets also. I have now gotten so used to 100 yard zero since that is all I sight in at for the .270 and do not change my shot placement till I get out to 225 yards or more. My .280 is sighted in at 200 yard zero and has a BRH scope on it and I would not change shot placement out to 275 yards with it.

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503654 10/20/16 12:35 PM
D
Deerhunter61 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Interesting stuff...I hunt with my 6.5 CM and a MIL/MIL scope on it so hold is very straight forward. I will say that sighting in my rifle at almost 3"s high at 100 yds when most of my shots are around 100-150 seems unnecessary but it's still interesting.

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503762 10/20/16 01:37 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
MPBR induces error into where the bullet will impact. Anytime you induce error, it reduces likely hood of making a good shot and not making a clean kill. Why would you want to induce error and not know EXACTLY where the bullet will strike?

Just yesterday a customer of mine told me a hunting trip story from a few weeks ago of a guy on their trip that thought his rifle was sighted in "good enough". They took off over 1 week from work, spent money on the hunt, spent money on elk tags, put in all the time and effort to hunt elk, only to miss 3 elk because the rifle was slightly off. Blows my mind!

I guess you have to figure out what kind of shooter you are. Are you a close enough, or are you a shooter who wants to be precise. I'm a precision shooter and I want to know exactly where the bullet will impact when I pull the trigger.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MPBR [Re: ChadTRG42] #6503915 10/20/16 03:25 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
MPBR induces error into where the bullet will impact. Anytime you induce error, it reduces likely hood of making a good shot and not making a clean kill. Why would you want to induce error and not know EXACTLY where the bullet will strike?

Just yesterday a customer of mine told me a hunting trip story from a few weeks ago of a guy on their trip that thought his rifle was sighted in "good enough". They took off over 1 week from work, spent money on the hunt, spent money on elk tags, put in all the time and effort to hunt elk, only to miss 3 elk because the rifle was slightly off. Blows my mind!

I guess you have to figure out what kind of shooter you are. Are you a close enough, or are you a shooter who wants to be precise. I'm a precision shooter and I want to know exactly where the bullet will impact when I pull the trigger.

This seems to be the hardest thing to get some people to understand. Have had so many clients and friends Ive guided and shot with be ok with a POI on a sight in target 5" plus off from POA, and say good enough to kill a deer. SMDH.

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503934 10/20/16 03:38 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Chad, that is one way to look at it (and the way I have always looked at it) but when you are going to a new place and you have no idea if your shot will be 60 yards or 300 yards, then MPBR has some merit).

Anyway, I found the table interesting, especially for the .22 LR and .45-70.

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503961 10/20/16 03:52 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
I tried doing this the first season I hunted. I saw a hog at 50 yards, totally over thought the shot and missed him. I don't know if I was high, low, left, or right.

Basically, when I saw the animal I completely forgot everything and lost confidence. Now, I have a FFP scope with clear yardage markings on my turn dials and I always zero at 100 yards. Last season I saw a doe at 200 yards, turned to .4 Mils which is marked by a 2, and anchored her with a neck shot.

I am not saying that sighting in at 100 yards with a FFP Mil/Mil scope is for everyone but I will for sure continue hunt this way.

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503967 10/20/16 03:55 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
The issue I have with MPBR or sighting your rifle in at 1.5" high at 100 yards, is the shooter does not "know" where the bullet will impact at 300 yards. When I talk to a hunter or shooter who has their rifle sighted in with either MPBR or 1.5" high at 100, I ask them how low will they be at 300. The answer is always something like, "It should be 3" low," or "about 4" low". What happened to KNOWING where the bullet is. And most hunters who use these methods do not get the rifle sighted in correctly to begin with.

Point in case was at the Hunters Rifle Challenge match that we do. We had a simple 5 dot drill at 100 yards. 5 dots that are 1" in size, 1 round per dot, 5 rounds total. Technically, every shooter or hunter who has logged onto the internet has a sub MOA rifle, so I expect every shooter to clean this stage. 5, 1" dots at 100 yards should be a piece of cake then. Realistically, over 70% of the shooters scored less than half their hits on the stage. Several shooters who had "sighted their rifle in 1.5" high at 100 yards" were higher, or off their sight in. They would chase their bullet holes, and they didn't know where they were going to hit. They had holes high, low, and all over.

My point is this. You MUST have a solid, dead nuts zero where you KNOW where the bullet will impact. Solid, meaning a point of impact that lines up with your cross hairs. If you don't, you are inducing error and unknown POI into your shooting. This is the difference between just pulling the trigger and shooting close and precision shooting. The thing is, it takes so little effort to go from close to precision shooting!

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6503979 10/20/16 04:04 PM
P
postoak Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
P
Which is exactly why I was asking about a 300 yard range near me a few weeks ago. It's fun to shoot at 100, or 200, or 300 and then see where the bullet impact at the other two yardages is.

Re: MPBR [Re: ChadTRG42] #6503994 10/20/16 04:12 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
The issue I have with MPBR or sighting your rifle in at 1.5" high at 100 yards, is the shooter does not "know" where the bullet will impact at 300 yards. When I talk to a hunter or shooter who has their rifle sighted in with either MPBR or 1.5" high at 100, I ask them how low will they be at 300. The answer is always something like, "It should be 3" low," or "about 4" low". What happened to KNOWING where the bullet is. And most hunters who use these methods do not get the rifle sighted in correctly to begin with.

Point in case was at the Hunters Rifle Challenge match that we do. We had a simple 5 dot drill at 100 yards. 5 dots that are 1" in size, 1 round per dot, 5 rounds total. Technically, every shooter or hunter who has logged onto the internet has a sub MOA rifle, so I expect every shooter to clean this stage. 5, 1" dots at 100 yards should be a piece of cake then. Realistically, over 70% of the shooters scored less than half their hits on the stage. Several shooters who had "sighted their rifle in 1.5" high at 100 yards" were higher, or off their sight in. They would chase their bullet holes, and they didn't know where they were going to hit. They had holes high, low, and all over.

My point is this. You MUST have a solid, dead nuts zero where you KNOW where the bullet will impact. Solid, meaning a point of impact that lines up with your cross hairs. If you don't, you are inducing error and unknown POI into your shooting. This is the difference between just pulling the trigger and shooting close and precision shooting. The thing is, it takes so little effort to go from close to precision shooting!

I'd say a 5 dot drill has absolutely zero merit when discussing mpbr and hunting from 0-300 yards.

How on earth do you miss an elk with a gun that is "slightly" off?

Should is nothing more than word choice if sighted correctly and shot correctly it will be where its supposed to be. You say you need to know where it will be, if you zero at 100 and dial a correction for 300 yards you only know as well as you shoot same as MPBR.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504062 10/20/16 05:16 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
My 257 has 300 zero, CM is 100

Verify your ammo through the entire mpbr. Don't trust box specs.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: MPBR [Re: redchevy] #6504088 10/20/16 05:36 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I'd say a 5 dot drill has absolutely zero merit when discussing mpbr and hunting from 0-300 yards.

How on earth do you miss an elk with a gun that is "slightly" off?

Should is nothing more than word choice if sighted correctly and shot correctly it will be where its supposed to be. You say you need to know where it will be, if you zero at 100 and dial a correction for 300 yards you only know as well as you shoot same as MPBR.

I think Chad's point was that not only should you know where it will hit, you've tested it at 300 to be sure that that is where it's hitting. If you sight in a rifle 3" high at 100, 'assuming' a chart is accurate for all rifle and load combinations is not a good plan. There are factors such as barrel length and scope height to take into account, and differences in off-hand, bench, bag, bipod, etc.

Shoot it, and know for sure.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504107 10/20/16 05:54 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

A dope chart should be created for every rifle that is going to be used for hunting unless the shooter is willing to accept that he can't shoot past proven yardages.

We sight in on center at 200 yards. Then we back up to 100 yards and see where we are. Same thing at 50 yards and then at 300 yards. Everything is written down. If we have a 400 & 500 yard range available we also shoot them for definite POI. If these 400 & 500 ranges can't be verified, we look at a ballistics calculator and go from there. If you have data from 50, 100, & 200 yards you can dial in the longer ranges within 1"-2" with a good calculator.

The bottom line is that unless you've actually seen where the bullet is impacting you're guessing. I won't take a rifle into the field that requires a guess.

I'm with Chad on this one. I want to know where my rifle is going to shoot. Not only is it being responsible (no offense meant!) but it instills confidence for me.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504125 10/20/16 06:08 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I guess I take shooting it at 300 to make sure that's what/all it drops etc as a given, the same load will not make the same velocity out of all guns and a lot of factory ammo doesn't live up to the numbers on the box and a lot of load data doesn't live up to the numbers on the pages.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504132 10/20/16 06:10 PM
S
Sirrah243 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
I've been sighting in MPBR for years and it's always worked for me except that one time I forgot to compesate and shot over a bobcat at 100 yds. Deer and Hogs, no prob.

�A hunt based only on the trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be.� -Fred Bear
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504148 10/20/16 06:17 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
"Should" and "about" are key words that tell me a shooter does not 100% know. They may be fairly certain, but not 100%. So, there is some error in that statement. I ask these similar questions on a daily basis to get information on customers' rifles and ammo, and how they are shooting with a set up that may or may not work for them.

If you ask me where I am hitting at 200 or 300 yards from my 100 yard zero, I will tell you exactly in MOA or in mils, and it will be dead nuts on.

The 5 dot drill was used as an example to show that many shooters "think" their POI was one thing, where in reality it was something different. They "thought" they were 1.5" high, and ended up being higher, and had to hold several inches below to get a round on a 1" dot at 100 yards. So, if you can't hit something at 100 yards, what makes you think you can hit something further out with more precision? You can't.

The elk with the gun slightly off, yes, that's 100% user error and another topic. But I do hear stories every single year from shooters no knowing why they missed or made a bad shot because they did not understand or know exactly where the bullet would be at a certain distance.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MPBR [Re: Creedmoor] #6504154 10/20/16 06:24 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor

A dope chart should be created for every rifle that is going to be used for hunting unless the shooter is willing to accept that he can't shoot past proven yardages.

We sight in on center at 200 yards. Then we back up to 100 yards and see where we are. Same thing at 50 yards and then at 300 yards. Everything is written down. If we have a 400 & 500 yard range available we also shoot them for definite POI. If these 400 & 500 ranges can't be verified, we look at a ballistics calculator and go from there. If you have data from 50, 100, & 200 yards you can dial in the longer ranges within 1"-2" with a good calculator.

The bottom line is that unless you've actually seen where the bullet is impacting you're guessing. I won't take a rifle into the field that requires a guess.

I'm with Chad on this one. I want to know where my rifle is going to shoot. Not only is it being responsible (no offense meant!) but it instills confidence for me.

A Verified MBPR has lots of merit. It's kind of like the great spike debate. I wouldn't focus on what's different, it's what the same practices are to get you to a real outcome that really matter.

I wouldnt set my rifles at a 300 zero if I just hunted a 100 yard feeder all the time. If I hunted a sendero in Stx that deer typically are more comfortable at the 200-300 mark then I'm using a verified 300 zero'd type mpbr methodology.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504157 10/20/16 06:27 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Exactly, a verified MPBR would be the best option, if you plan to run a MPBR. Most hunters who use a MPBR assume the velocity on the box is correct (which most times is way off) and run with it.

[Linked Image]
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: MPBR [Re: ChadTRG42] #6504268 10/20/16 07:48 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Everyone went through a mandatory zero check prior to competing, as well.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: MPBR [Re: ChadTRG42] #6504331 10/20/16 08:18 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

I'm not sure where you got this idea. I can only assume that you have never looked at a MPBR chart, which clearly states how high or low the bullet strikes at various ranges. Apparently the entire concept has whizzed over your head, perhaps because it is a tool for hunters, the overwhelming majority of which never will shoot beyond 200-300 yards or so, for any reason.

Hunters who utilize MPBR sighting are waaay more nit-picky than most hunters, who sight in at 100 yards, knowing that close to 95% of game animals taken are shot at 100 yards or less, and let it go at that.

Getting up on your high-horse to spout off irrelevancies while running other Texas hunters down says a lot more about you than it does about them.

- But if you think it is good business practice to run down and alienate the majority of Texas hunters, then I say go for it.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/20/16 08:23 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504338 10/20/16 08:22 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
I have 3 different setups I have used over the years that work for me.

Rifles with dialup scopes 100 yard zero, also the short range like the pistol caliber ones, 38-55 and 45-70 are at 100 yards as well

Rifles without target turrets zero at 200

The ones zeroed at 200 have been verified at 300 yards and beyond and if I plan on hunting with them before season they will be shot to 300 or beyond to verify. The places I hunt these days shots are 350 and in so any but the short range ones I am good to go with. The short range ones I hunt with but know their and my limitations.

That last part is most important, shoot enough in positions you might find yourself in and learn the equipment limitations and your limitations.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504340 10/20/16 08:30 PM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
On the part of verify at 300 yards, I have seen charts be off at 300 yards from 2 inches high to 6 inches low. 2 inches high no big deal really but 6 inches low for dang sure can be. That is why I say verify at the longer range of say 300.

Now if you are not shooting past say 200 yards set it 1.5 inches high at 100 and go bunting. That is with most bottle neck cartridges most use for deer.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6504341 10/20/16 08:31 PM
J
jeffbird Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
J
MPBR is a step forward in knowledge from the basic aim and point, but still a step short of using more precise aiming information.

Re: MPBR [Re: kmon11] #6504349 10/20/16 08:33 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: kmon1
I have 3 different setups I have used over the years that work for me.

Rifles with dialup scopes 100 yard zero, also the short range like the pistol caliber ones, 38-55 and 45-70 are at 100 yards as well

Rifles without target turrets zero at 200

The ones zeroed at 200 have been verified at 300 yards and beyond and if I plan on hunting with them before season they will be shot to 300 or beyond to verify. The places I hunt these days shots are 350 and in so any but the short range ones I am good to go with. The short range ones I hunt with but know their and my limitations.

That last part is most important, shoot enough in positions you might find yourself in and learn the equipment limitations and your limitations.

That last part is what I must concentrate upon, as I am limited as to what shooting positions I can utilize. Kneeling is pretty much out, for example. - I am much better off sitting, or shooting prone when the terrain allows. Standing with no rest or support, I can hit a 8 inch gong at 100 yards fifteen out of seventeen shots, last time I tried, but that's about as good as it gets.

I have been practicing with shooting sticks, but still haven't gotten the knack yet. It is very tempting to cobble up a shooting adapter for my camera tripod, and shoot a little yellow/brown paint on it.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/20/16 08:37 PM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: MPBR [Re: charlesb] #6504353 10/20/16 08:34 PM
T
Teal28 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: charlesb

I'm not sure where you got this idea. I can only assume that you have never looked at a MPBR chart, which clearly states how high or low the bullet strikes at various ranges. Apparently the entire concept has whizzed over your head, perhaps because it is a tool for hunters, the overwhelming majority of which never will shoot beyond 200-300 yards or so, for any reason.

Hunters who utilize MPBR sighting are waaay more nit-picky than most hunters, who sight in at 100 yards, knowing that close to 95% of game animals taken are shot at 100 yards or less, and let it go at that.

Getting up on your high-horse to spout off irrelevancies while running other Texas hunters down says a lot more about you than it does about them.

- But if you think it is good business practice to run down and alienate the majority of Texas hunters, then I say go for it.

Your attitude toward Chad is getting in the way of your thinking. If you put the wrong info in the MPBR it will not give you the correct POI. Going off of the factory box FPS, Which are most of the time incorrect means your inducing error. Sight in POI being off just compounds this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide