Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: MPBR [Re: Jgraider] #6504802 10/21/16 01:47 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: Jgraider
Jeff and fireman, I get all of that, and I'm not being argumentative. I know you guys know what you're doing. My point was, an MPBR shooter like I was for 3 decades (with duplex reticles), upon shooting and recording drops, can be very, very effective out to 340 yds with that setup. I never used a chrono in any of those first 30 years as it didn't matter. Verifying drops by actual shooting is the key, obviously, whether you twist or not. That was they point I was trying to make. Is it as precise as a verified turret? No. Is it more than adequate for killing big game animals? Absolutely.

I too agree with Jgraider. MPBR is just another tool in the toolbox for those who can and will use it properly. There are those hunting situations that will not allow you the time to dial up elevation. Sometimes you may need to shoot at varying ranges and do it quickly. Depending on the situation I may employ one or the other technique. There's no "one size fits all" approach to the many variables in hunting. You're not always sitting at a bench, shooting at known ranges, on static targets. Rather than berating someone for using one technique or another, or completely dismissing one or the other is foolish. If someone isn't doing it right, then share a method that will correct one's mistakes or something that they overlooked.

Most hunters are not as advanced when it comes to this sort of marksmanship. They only know what they've been told. So lets tell 'em some good info.

BTW, there has been some good info exchanged here.

Last edited by LandPirate; 10/21/16 01:49 AM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: MPBR [Re: J.G.] #6504814 10/21/16 01:56 AM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
Hey Fireman, I have a somewhat unrelated quick question if you don't mind.

I have a .243 and want to use it to learn the SS scope mil/mil method. Why would I choose a SS 10x over the 3-9x SS, or vice versa? Was planning to shoot the 105g Hornday HPBT, FWIW.

Depends on what you're doing. Will it need to be in service in brush, and or low light situations? Then I'd go with the 3-9X. Or will it just be for plenty of light, and to play with 100 yards and further? If it's the second one, then the fixed 10X is a great option, and less money than the adjustable.

I have an SS fixed 12X and really like it. It's not completely out of service at close end shots, but I don't know if it would work for what you're doing with it.

I usually hunt open country mule deer and whitetails. My primary hunting rifle is a McWhorter 7-08 with a Leupy 4-14x40 VX3 that has both CDS and a B&C. I had the B&C installed when it was back at Leupy getting a tracking situation fixed. The B&C is setup perfectly for a 140 AB at 2830fps.

I was wanting the SS as a learning tool on a .243 that I just bought to fart around with and learn the system. I want to be able to have a usable mil-quad reticle in the SS, and understand not al MQ's are the same.

Re: MPBR [Re: LandPirate] #6504850 10/21/16 02:21 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Jeff and fireman, I get all of that, and I'm not being argumentative. I know you guys know what you're doing. My point was, an MPBR shooter like I was for 3 decades (with duplex reticles), upon shooting and recording drops, can be very, very effective out to 340 yds with that setup. I never used a chrono in any of those first 30 years as it didn't matter. Verifying drops by actual shooting is the key, obviously, whether you twist or not. That was they point I was trying to make. Is it as precise as a verified turret? No. Is it more than adequate for killing big game animals? Absolutely.

I too agree with Jgraider. MPBR is just another tool in the toolbox for those who can and will use it properly. There are those hunting situations that will not allow you the time to dial up elevation. Sometimes you may need to shoot at varying ranges and do it quickly. Depending on the situation I may employ one or the other technique. There's no "one size fits all" approach to the many variables in hunting. You're not always sitting at a bench, shooting at known ranges, on static targets. Rather than berating someone for using one technique or another, or completely dismissing one or the other is foolish. If someone isn't doing it right, then share a method that will correct one's mistakes or something that they overlooked.

Most hunters are not as advanced when it comes to this sort of marksmanship. They only know what they've been told. So lets tell 'em some good info.

Did you read all the posts?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: MPBR [Re: Jgraider] #6504853 10/21/16 02:24 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Hey Fireman, I have a somewhat unrelated quick question if you don't mind.

I have a .243 and want to use it to learn the SS scope mil/mil method. Why would I choose a SS 10x over the 3-9x SS, or vice versa? Was planning to shoot the 105g Hornday HPBT, FWIW.

Depends on what you're doing. Will it need to be in service in brush, and or low light situations? Then I'd go with the 3-9X. Or will it just be for plenty of light, and to play with 100 yards and further? If it's the second one, then the fixed 10X is a great option, and less money than the adjustable.

I have an SS fixed 12X and really like it. It's not completely out of service at close end shots, but I don't know if it would work for what you're doing with it.

I usually hunt open country mule deer and whitetails. My primary hunting rifle is a McWhorter 7-08 with a Leupy 4-14x40 VX3 that has both CDS and a B&C. I had the B&C installed when it was back at Leupy getting a tracking situation fixed. The B&C is setup perfectly for a 140 AB at 2830fps.

I was wanting the SS as a learning tool on a .243 that I just bought to fart around with and learn the system. I want to be able to have a usable mil-quad reticle in the SS, and understand not al MQ's are the same.

The fixed will get you going, dialing and holding. Look on SWFA's site. They show the reticle for all their SS scopes. Pretty sure the variables and the fixed all have the same exact reticle. My 5-20X and fixed 12X have the same reticle.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MPBR [Re: J.G.] #6504863 10/21/16 02:33 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Originally Posted By: LandPirate

Did you read all the posts?

Why yes, I did. That's the reason for my last sentence. Giving kudos.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: MPBR [Re: LandPirate] #6504870 10/21/16 02:37 AM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Fair enough.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: MPBR [Re: postoak] #6512884 10/26/16 06:19 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
Here you go!!! Let's do this!

Free Range day!

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/6512876/Free_Range_day!_For_the_MPBR_a#Post6512876

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide