Forums46
Topics537,785
Posts9,729,148
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? #6501699 10/19/16 02:23 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
I am amazed at how many posts there are about harvesting animals out to 700 plus yards. Is there a new generation of hunters that want to shoot out to very long ranges to harvest animals?

I do not understand this type of big game hunting. Can someone explain the why it is appealing to them?

I am really very interested in your opinions, maybe I am missing out on providing this type of experience to my hunters. (Please note I am not asking about prairie dogs or mountain game but large flat land game like whitetail deer or hogs.)

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501725 10/19/16 02:39 AM
E
eneat1119 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
E
I hunt in the mountains in West Texas. I've taken 1-2 500yd shots a year at some big whitetail in there. If I can get in closer I do but not all situations are optimal.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: eneat1119] #6501733 10/19/16 02:41 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: eneat1119
I hunt in the mountains in West Texas. I've taken 1-2 500yd shots a year at some big whitetail in there. If I can get in closer I do but not all situations are optimal.

I understand long shots in Mountains. I am more curious of why long shots when you could get closer?

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501738 10/19/16 02:43 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
I wouldn't shoot at a game animal like a deer at 500 yds unless I had no choice and it was an absolute buck of a lifetime.

I'll shoot at a hog at any distance even if I'm just throwing up a prayer. If I hit them great if not idk.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: SapperTitan] #6501744 10/19/16 02:47 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I wouldn't shoot at a game animal like a deer at 500 yds unless I had no choice and it was an absolute buck of a lifetime.

I'll shoot at a hog at any distance even if I'm just throwing up a prayer. If I hit them great if not idk.

I get that on hogs. Do you think guys want to shoot at animals at long range because they want the sniper opportunity?

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501748 10/19/16 02:48 AM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There's a difference in wanting to, and being prepared to do so, if no other choice is available.

Preparation.

And before the argument arises. I challenge anyone to close the distance on a coyote or a whitetail across a green, flat, winter wheat field. I challenge anyone to spend two to three hours to close the distance on a mule deer in desert, rocky, south west Texas canyons, expecting to still have their quarry waiting on them.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501754 10/19/16 02:52 AM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Originally Posted By: Just Nate
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I get that on hogs. Do you think guys want to shoot at animals at long range because they want the sniper opportunity?
idk maybe they just want that challenge and to be able to one up everyone else when it comes to telling hunting stories. After shooting hogs at 250 and 50 yds I'd prefer to shoot them up close and personal but it's also fun to shoot them at a distance.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501765 10/19/16 02:58 AM
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
My 500+ yard shots have been in Montana, the place I hunt now provide 400 yards at most and usually much close, my last kills on that place have been within 70 yards. Last place I hunted though there were long range opportunities and I would shoot longer. I haven't included coyotes but if one gives me a chance I will take a long shot at it without hesitation if that shot is safe to take.

Several years before I joined this forum I shot a lot to 600 yards so I would be more prepared if needed on those Montana trips. Other than the Elk I described in another thread I have had one shot kills on all my shots over 500 on deer and elk sized game but attribute that to lots of shooting.

Long range shooting has become a rage these days with "hunting shows" promoting it with their products to support it. It is fun to hit small targets way out there but if I can I prefer a 5 or 50 yard shot to a 500 yard shot any time and try to keep the shooting closer than further.

Sometimes I think a lot of the talk is just that and internet banter, like a man that went to the range one day that had talked a lot about shooting ground hogs out to a little over 600 yards, when he got to the range and was almost to the 325 yard bench he said something like good God why would anyone ever shoot that far . confused2

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: J.G.] #6501772 10/19/16 03:01 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
There's a difference in wanting to, and being prepared to do so, if no other choice is available.

Preparation.

And before the argument arises. I challenge anyone to close the distance on a coyote or a whitetail across a green, flat, winter wheat field. I challenge anyone to spend two to three hours to close the distance on a mule deer in desert, rocky, south west Texas canyons, expecting to still have their quarry waiting on them.

I am trying to understand if I should add long range hunting as part of my offering. I think you are missing the point of my question. Is there a real desire to harvest at a long range as the primary means of hunting the animal. I get taking a long shot because you have to especially at hogs or yotes. I do not however understand taking a 700 yard shot at a whitetail. That is what I am trying to understand. Do people want to make a shot like this?

Do you want to make that long shot because you think that is part of hunting or because you want to hunt that way?

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: kmon11] #6501776 10/19/16 03:05 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: kmon1
My 500+ yard shots have been in Montana, the place I hunt now provide 400 yards at most and usually much close, my last kills on that place have been within 70 yards. Last place I hunted though there were long range opportunities and I would shoot longer. I haven't included coyotes but if one gives me a chance I will take a long shot at it without hesitation if that shot is safe to take.

Several years before I joined this forum I shot a lot to 600 yards so I would be more prepared if needed on those Montana trips. Other than the Elk I described in another thread I have had one shot kills on all my shots over 500 on deer and elk sized game but attribute that to lots of shooting.

Long range shooting has become a rage these days with "hunting shows" promoting it with their products to support it. It is fun to hit small targets way out there but if I can I prefer a 5 or 50 yard shot to a 500 yard shot any time and try to keep the shooting closer than further.

Sometimes I think a lot of the talk is just that and internet banter, like a man that went to the range one day that had talked a lot about shooting ground hogs out to a little over 600 yards, when he got to the range and was almost to the 325 yard bench he said something like good God why would anyone ever shoot that far . confused2

Thanks for the information. I agree on long shots on yotes or hogs.

I also understand if you need to take the shot because (insert reason). I have never booked a hunt specifically to shoot at a long range, I also agree that most guys think more than 300 yards is a long ways.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: J.G.] #6501780 10/19/16 03:08 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Preparation.

I also understand the being able to take the shot. I have sent 22 guys to long range shooting classes. I think there is a big need for that.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501784 10/19/16 03:11 AM
P
P & Y Offline
Tracker
Tracker
P
People absolutely have the desire to hunt at long range. I think some have gotten bored shooting animals at 100yds standing under a feeder. It's a way to make rifle hunting challenging and exciting again. As said above it's also being promoted heavily on TV. Whether it's ethical or not, there are a lot of people moving in that direction.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: P & Y] #6501789 10/19/16 03:14 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: P & Y
People absolutely have the desire to hunt at long range. I think some have gotten bored shooting animals at 100yds standing under a feeder. It's a way to make rifle hunting challenging and exciting again. As said above it's also being promoted heavily on TV. Whether it's ethical or not, there are a lot of people moving in that direction.

Thanks that is what I was wanting.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501819 10/19/16 03:31 AM
T
TexFlip Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I hunt over feeders that are 120-240 yards from the stand. If I have a shot on a trophy axis or whitetail that is inside of 500 yards I have the equipment and trigger time to confidently take the shot. I'm not going to limit myself to deer within a feeder pen. That said, most of my shots on deer are inside of 200 yards. I don't have cable and don't watch hunting shows.

Originally Posted by unclebubba
Just to make sure that it is done thoroughly, I go both ways.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501825 10/19/16 03:34 AM
L
LFD2037 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
700 yds on a whitetail? Never seen or heard of that before. I've never been fortunate enough to hunt a place that's that wide open. I've hunted a large ranch but it's in the hill country which isn't really conducive to shots that far. I think of large mountains when I think of ranges that far but I'm pretty sure whitetail aren't up high in the mountains.

R.I.P. CPO Matt Mills-(DEVGRU)- You will NEVER be forgotten!
10-25-75 / 8-6-11 *K.I.A.*
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501834 10/19/16 03:40 AM
L
LandPirate Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
With modern rifles, ammo and optics there's no reason for a hunter to limit himself to 100 or 200 yards. We're not hunting with 30-30's and El Paso made Weaver scopes anymore.

Personally, I'll be damned if I'm going to miss the opportunity to take "The One" at 400 yards because I wasn't prepared.

My personal biggest buck was taken at 408 yards. I jumped him while headed to the stand that morning. When he came back into the sendero he remained at the end of the corn trail and would not move closer. Between my stand and him was about 20 other deer, so there was no stalk available. My options were simple, let him go or take the shot. I opted to take the shot after waiting 30 minutes for him to budge. He didn't. It wasn't a hail mary either. I was practiced at this range and knew my ability and my rifle's performance at that distance. I dialed up elevation and let one fly. Hit the buck squarely where I intended. He crumpled on the spot. BTW, this was to be my final hunt of the year.

If you can't get closer, then there's no reason why you shouldn't stretch your ability to reach them.

Last edited by LandPirate; 10/19/16 03:41 AM.

Mike
Buda, Tx
Hunt near Freer
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501852 10/19/16 03:54 AM
7x57 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I think it's more challenging to attempt to stalk a deer to within <200 yards than it is to shoot 700 yards.

My longest shot on a live animal was 416 yards, most have been 100-150 yards without feeders. I don't hunt wheat fields or anything like that though, so it's really just what suits my specific needs. If you have other needs then I can see you wanting to do something else.

Remember, the answer is ALWAYS 6.5 creedmoor.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501857 10/19/16 04:01 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
If you know your rifle and system and have shot it enough to gather notes as to different shooting scenarios I don't see why this topic gets so beat up. It really can be as easy as point and click with the right equipment and an understanding of wind and ballistics.

[Linked Image]
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: 7x57] #6501858 10/19/16 04:02 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: 7x57
I think it's more challenging to attempt to stalk a deer to within <200 yards than it is to shoot 700 yards.

My longest shot on a live animal was 416 yards, most have been 100-150 yards without feeders. I don't hunt wheat fields or anything like that though, so it's really just what suits my specific needs. If you have other needs then I can see you wanting to do something else.

Remember, the answer is ALWAYS 6.5 creedmoor.

I would let someone use a 6.5x47 or 260 but I think the 6.5 Creedmoor hunter would have to stay in camp. That is just the way I roll.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501860 10/19/16 04:05 AM
T
Toxarch Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
For me, I wouldn't want to take a long shot at a game animal. I definitely have not trained nor practiced for it. Hunting in the mountains, sure. Big open crop fields, sure. Where I hunt in Texas, I can wait for them to work closer or I try to setup closer to them tomorrow. Short distance rifle hunting has become boring. If I want excitement, I dress in camo and sit on the ground with a bow. When rifle hunting, I only get excited when it's a really nice old buck or a bunch of pigs so I can try to take out multiple pigs.
We've taken shots at around 650 yards at pigs. There's a big open field in front of the ranch house and a tank at the far end. Pigs are only there for about 60 seconds to take a drink and then they are gone. You either try to take a shot or let them go. A few have taken the shot and hit the pigs but it's rare anyone tries it since most of the guns are put up. If you kill pigs at 600 yards and have witnesses, it sure makes for a good story. If you have a nice mount on the wall and have a neat story to go with it like shooting a whitetail and dropping it at 700 yards, it makes remembering it a lot better and makes for a great story to tell. Sure beats a story about sitting in a box blind and shooting a buck under a feeder at 100 yards.

It is far more important to be able to hit the target than it is to haggle over who makes a weapon or who pulls a trigger.

� Dwight D. Eisenhower
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501880 10/19/16 04:45 AM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I am amazed at how many posts there are about harvesting animals out to 700 plus yards. Is there a new generation of hunters that want to shoot out to very long ranges to harvest animals?

I do not understand this type of big game hunting. Can someone explain the why it is appealing to them?

I am really very interested in your opinions, maybe I am missing out on providing this type of experience to my hunters. (Please note I am not asking about prairie dogs or mountain game but large flat land game like whitetail deer or hogs.)

For same reason people use compound vs rifle, each takes a different level of discipline in different areas.
Think of it in reverse if I said I only take 200 yards or under shots with a rifle due to ethics, the long range capable guys that's spent hours learning his trade and thousands of rounds down range probably thinks I'm lazy in the fact i would be useing ethical as an excuse for my inability or lack of effort to become more proficient with my weapon.

From what I've seen I am to lazy to get serious with it. I haven't become that proficient at longer ranges but I'll be the first to admit it as lazy & disinterested, I will own it and not use the ethical stance. Same stand point I know guys that will eat your arrow nocks under 50 yards. I know a few that make my 50 yard groups look bad compared to their 100 yard plus groups. One of them can stack arrows at 130 in an 18-1 pretty boringly consistently. So who is more confident and actually ethical in taking a 50 yard shot with a bow? He is, why because to be proficient at 150 yards take a lot more practice and time spending arrows down range, then what it took me to be consistent at 50.

Moral is there is a happy medium where most people can achieve consistent success and mastery in with minimal effort, you go either direction from that medium and new skills are presented and need to be mastered. Technology is great but it doesn't replace practice with any type of weapon.

The bashing of the long range guys is usually from a lack of understanding of what it truly takes to be proficient at those ranges.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #6501884 10/19/16 04:54 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: BOBO the Clown

For same reason people use compound vs rifle, each takes a different level of discipline in different areas.
Think of it in reverse if I said I only take 200 yards or under shots with a rifle due to ethics, the long range capable guys that's spent hours learning his trade and thousands of rounds down range probably thinks I'm lazy in the fact i would be useing ethical as an excuse for my inability or lack of effort to become more proficient with my weapon.

From what I've seen I am to lazy to get serious with it. I haven't become that proficient at longer ranges but I'll be the first to admit it as lazy & disinterested, I will own it and not use the ethical stance. Same stand point I know guys that will eat your arrow nocks under 50 yards. I know a few that make my 50 yard groups look bad compared to their 100 yard plus groups. One of them can stack arrows at 130 in an 18-1 pretty boringly consistently. So who is more confident and actually ethical in taking a 50 yard shot with a bow? He is, why because to be proficient at 150 yards take a lot more practice and time spending arrows down range, then what it took me to be consistent at 50.

Moral is there is a happy medium where most people can achieve consistent success and mastery in with minimal effort, you go either direction from that medium and new skills are presented and need to be mastered. Technology is great but it doesn't replace practice with any type of weapon.

The bashing of the long range guys is usually from a lack of understanding of what it truly takes to be proficient at those ranges.

I understand your point...

I just want to understand if there are a bunch of guys that want to make a specific hunt in which after all the planning and the work has been put in; that they want to have a chance at a 500 plus shot?

There seem to be a couple but just seeking input.

Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501892 10/19/16 05:16 AM
txshntr Offline
T-Rex Arms
T-Rex Arms
I would think there is a market for it simply based on the increased number of post on forums and articles written about it. The "why" can be argued 1000x over and the argument about the ethics of it could go on as well.

To answer your question, yes, I believe there is a market for it but I don't think the market is near large enough that you are losing business by not offering it. Whether you start offering that service is up to you.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501894 10/19/16 05:27 AM
T
tth_40 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
I'm not. Farthest I've ever killed a white tail deer is 323 yards, and it's the only one I've ever taken a shot at farther than 200 yards. Most of the ones I've ever taken were within 125 yards.

Different types of hunting for everyone. It'd be a boring world if everyone hunted the same way.

Originally Posted By: theserxtremedays
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6501895 10/19/16 05:30 AM
T
TFF Caribou Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm not interested in it. Never shot more than 150 yards.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide