Forum Stats
60476 Members
45 Forums
476184 Topics
6246652 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#6501699 - 10/18/16 09:23 PM Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards?
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
I am amazed at how many posts there are about harvesting animals out to 700 plus yards. Is there a new generation of hunters that want to shoot out to very long ranges to harvest animals?

I do not understand this type of big game hunting. Can someone explain the why it is appealing to them?

I am really very interested in your opinions, maybe I am missing out on providing this type of experience to my hunters. (Please note I am not asking about prairie dogs or mountain game but large flat land game like whitetail deer or hogs.)

#6501725 - 10/18/16 09:39 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
eneat1119 Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: MIDLAND
I hunt in the mountains in West Texas. I've taken 1-2 500yd shots a year at some big whitetail in there. If I can get in closer I do but not all situations are optimal.

#6501733 - 10/18/16 09:41 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: eneat1119]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: eneat1119
I hunt in the mountains in West Texas. I've taken 1-2 500yd shots a year at some big whitetail in there. If I can get in closer I do but not all situations are optimal.

I understand long shots in Mountains. I am more curious of why long shots when you could get closer?

#6501738 - 10/18/16 09:43 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
SapperTitan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
I wouldn't shoot at a game animal like a deer at 500 yds unless I had no choice and it was an absolute buck of a lifetime.

I'll shoot at a hog at any distance even if I'm just throwing up a prayer. If I hit them great if not idk.

#6501744 - 10/18/16 09:47 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: SapperTitan]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I wouldn't shoot at a game animal like a deer at 500 yds unless I had no choice and it was an absolute buck of a lifetime.

I'll shoot at a hog at any distance even if I'm just throwing up a prayer. If I hit them great if not idk.

I get that on hogs. Do you think guys want to shoot at animals at long range because they want the sniper opportunity?

#6501748 - 10/18/16 09:48 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
FiremanJG Offline
THF Celebrity

Loc: Wolfe City, TX
There's a difference in wanting to, and being prepared to do so, if no other choice is available.

Preparation.

And before the argument arises. I challenge anyone to close the distance on a coyote or a whitetail across a green, flat, winter wheat field. I challenge anyone to spend two to three hours to close the distance on a mule deer in desert, rocky, south west Texas canyons, expecting to still have their quarry waiting on them.

800 Yard Steel Rifle Range
Long Range Shooting Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available

#6501754 - 10/18/16 09:52 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
SapperTitan Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Killeen/Ft Hood, TX
Originally Posted By: Just Nate
Originally Posted By: SapperTitan

I get that on hogs. Do you think guys want to shoot at animals at long range because they want the sniper opportunity?
idk maybe they just want that challenge and to be able to one up everyone else when it comes to telling hunting stories. After shooting hogs at 250 and 50 yds I'd prefer to shoot them up close and personal but it's also fun to shoot them at a distance.

#6501765 - 10/18/16 09:58 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
kmon1 Offline
junior

Loc: Texas
My 500+ yard shots have been in Montana, the place I hunt now provide 400 yards at most and usually much close, my last kills on that place have been within 70 yards. Last place I hunted though there were long range opportunities and I would shoot longer. I haven't included coyotes but if one gives me a chance I will take a long shot at it without hesitation if that shot is safe to take.

Several years before I joined this forum I shot a lot to 600 yards so I would be more prepared if needed on those Montana trips. Other than the Elk I described in another thread I have had one shot kills on all my shots over 500 on deer and elk sized game but attribute that to lots of shooting.

Long range shooting has become a rage these days with "hunting shows" promoting it with their products to support it. It is fun to hit small targets way out there but if I can I prefer a 5 or 50 yard shot to a 500 yard shot any time and try to keep the shooting closer than further.

Sometimes I think a lot of the talk is just that and internet banter, like a man that went to the range one day that had talked a lot about shooting ground hogs out to a little over 600 yards, when he got to the range and was almost to the 325 yard bench he said something like good God why would anyone ever shoot that far . confused2

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6501772 - 10/18/16 10:01 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: FiremanJG]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG
There's a difference in wanting to, and being prepared to do so, if no other choice is available.

Preparation.

And before the argument arises. I challenge anyone to close the distance on a coyote or a whitetail across a green, flat, winter wheat field. I challenge anyone to spend two to three hours to close the distance on a mule deer in desert, rocky, south west Texas canyons, expecting to still have their quarry waiting on them.

I am trying to understand if I should add long range hunting as part of my offering. I think you are missing the point of my question. Is there a real desire to harvest at a long range as the primary means of hunting the animal. I get taking a long shot because you have to especially at hogs or yotes. I do not however understand taking a 700 yard shot at a whitetail. That is what I am trying to understand. Do people want to make a shot like this?

Do you want to make that long shot because you think that is part of hunting or because you want to hunt that way?

#6501776 - 10/18/16 10:05 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: kmon1]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: kmon1
My 500+ yard shots have been in Montana, the place I hunt now provide 400 yards at most and usually much close, my last kills on that place have been within 70 yards. Last place I hunted though there were long range opportunities and I would shoot longer. I haven't included coyotes but if one gives me a chance I will take a long shot at it without hesitation if that shot is safe to take.

Several years before I joined this forum I shot a lot to 600 yards so I would be more prepared if needed on those Montana trips. Other than the Elk I described in another thread I have had one shot kills on all my shots over 500 on deer and elk sized game but attribute that to lots of shooting.

Long range shooting has become a rage these days with "hunting shows" promoting it with their products to support it. It is fun to hit small targets way out there but if I can I prefer a 5 or 50 yard shot to a 500 yard shot any time and try to keep the shooting closer than further.

Sometimes I think a lot of the talk is just that and internet banter, like a man that went to the range one day that had talked a lot about shooting ground hogs out to a little over 600 yards, when he got to the range and was almost to the 325 yard bench he said something like good God why would anyone ever shoot that far . confused2

Thanks for the information. I agree on long shots on yotes or hogs.

I also understand if you need to take the shot because (insert reason). I have never booked a hunt specifically to shoot at a long range, I also agree that most guys think more than 300 yards is a long ways.

#6501780 - 10/18/16 10:08 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: FiremanJG]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: FiremanJG

Preparation.

I also understand the being able to take the shot. I have sent 22 guys to long range shooting classes. I think there is a big need for that.

#6501784 - 10/18/16 10:11 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
P & Y Offline
Tracker

Loc: North East Texas
People absolutely have the desire to hunt at long range. I think some have gotten bored shooting animals at 100yds standing under a feeder. It's a way to make rifle hunting challenging and exciting again. As said above it's also being promoted heavily on TV. Whether it's ethical or not, there are a lot of people moving in that direction.

#6501789 - 10/18/16 10:14 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: P & Y]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: P & Y
People absolutely have the desire to hunt at long range. I think some have gotten bored shooting animals at 100yds standing under a feeder. It's a way to make rifle hunting challenging and exciting again. As said above it's also being promoted heavily on TV. Whether it's ethical or not, there are a lot of people moving in that direction.

Thanks that is what I was wanting.

#6501819 - 10/18/16 10:31 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
TexFlip Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: Harris County
I hunt over feeders that are 120-240 yards from the stand. If I have a shot on a trophy axis or whitetail that is inside of 500 yards I have the equipment and trigger time to confidently take the shot. I'm not going to limit myself to deer within a feeder pen. That said, most of my shots on deer are inside of 200 yards. I don't have cable and don't watch hunting shows.

#6501825 - 10/18/16 10:34 PM Re: Why are we suddenly worried about killing stuff out to 500-700 yards? [Re: Just Nate]
LFD2037 Online   happy
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: TEXAS
700 yds on a whitetail? Never seen or heard of that before. I've never been fortunate enough to hunt a place that's that wide open. I've hunted a large ranch but it's in the hill country which isn't really conducive to shots that far. I think of large mountains when I think of ranges that far but I'm pretty sure whitetail aren't up high in the mountains.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide