Print Thread
So is Dale Rollins out of a job #6499293 10/17/16 06:51 PM
B
blanked Offline OP
Pro Tracker
OP Offline
Pro Tracker
B
As far as all his research on why the quail numbers were so low.

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499316 10/17/16 07:05 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
popcorn

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499328 10/17/16 07:12 PM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
If so, we can certainly use his expertise here in East Texas!!

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499336 10/17/16 07:17 PM
D
duckbill Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted By: blanked
As far as all his research on why the quail numbers were so low.

What were his theories?

Originally Posted By: LandPirate
Yeah, don't listen to me. I'm just an idiot.

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499380 10/17/16 07:37 PM
R
rowdydog1 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
No disrespect to Dale or anyone else researching in the field. But it sure seems to come down to what I've heard some old ranchers say. When it rains, we have quail, when it don't rain we don't have quail. Pretty simple really.

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499643 10/17/16 10:47 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Yep, all of this rain the past two years must have drowned all of the eyeworms that were killing the quail.
bolt

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: rowdydog1] #6499695 10/17/16 11:10 PM
N
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
No disrespect to Dale or anyone else researching in the field. But it sure seems to come down to what I've heard some old ranchers say. When it rains, we have quail, when it don't rain we don't have quail. Pretty simple really.

Reckon how may gazillion dollars were spent on research of "The Decline of the Bobwhite Quail" in the past 5-6 years when the answer seemed to be so obvious? Isn't Mother Nature so awesome that she can fix the problem for free?!!!

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter] #6499760 10/17/16 11:52 PM
C
Chet Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Dale still works to get ranchers to do what they can to improve habitat and that is only one of many roles he and the ranch play. I'm glad the drought ended and the birds are back but having Dale around is a big plus for Texas and for bird hunters. My guess is that the prolonged drought was good for the hosts of the eye worm (grasshoppers etc) thus the big increase in the eye worm problem. The eye worms have been around for some time but worse in the past few dry years. It may have been those that made what looked like a decent bird crops in August/Sept disappear in Oct. But what ever the case Dale is a big advantage for bird hunters and glad he's running the research ranch. And dam sure glad the birds are back.

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6499772 10/17/16 11:58 PM
R
RayB Online Content
red bone Bob
Online Content
red bone Bob
R
There has also been a steady decline in quail numbers since the 50's. The numbers rebounded but they are still down. Habitat is one problem but there used to be quail all over TX and OK. Other than habitat and moisture he's doing what he can to determine what else could be causing it

Last edited by Barny Topwater; 10/17/16 11:58 PM.

There is time, and you must take it, to lay your hand on your dog's head as you walk past him lying on the floor or on his settle, time to talk with him, to remember with him, time to please him, time you can't buy back once he's gone" GBE
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: RayB] #6499840 10/18/16 12:59 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
There has also been a steady decline in quail numbers since the 50's. The numbers rebounded but they are still down. Habitat is one problem but there used to be quail all over TX and OK. Other than habitat and moisture he's doing what he can to determine what else could be causing it

Agree100%

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: Chet] #6499841 10/18/16 01:00 AM
P
pharmvet Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
P
Originally Posted By: Chet
Dale still works to get ranchers to do what they can to improve habitat and that is only one of many roles he and the ranch play. I'm glad the drought ended and the birds are back but having Dale around is a big plus for Texas and for bird hunters. My guess is that the prolonged drought was good for the hosts of the eye worm (grasshoppers etc) thus the big increase in the eye worm problem. The eye worms have been around for some time but worse in the past few dry years. It may have been those that made what looked like a decent bird crops in August/Sept disappear in Oct. But what ever the case Dale is a big advantage for bird hunters and glad he's running the research ranch. And dam sure glad the birds are back.

Agree 100%

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6500297 10/18/16 12:34 PM
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online Content
Bird Herder
Online Content
Bird Herder
I agree with the last two also. Are the quail back in East Texas? Arkansas? Mississippi? Alabama? Nope. So it's not just rain.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
Haven't had it in years but never spit any out.

Originally Posted by bill oxner
I am a sucker for happy endings and strapped cowboys.
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN] #6500343 10/18/16 01:08 PM
1100aggie Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
"In April of 1943, with the introduction of Coastal bermudagrass (an F1 hybrid between selections from Georgia and South Africa), forage production with perennial grasses changed dramatically and permanently."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/foragebermuda/bermuda.html

Maybe no one easy answer but I would say this played a role in the post oak savannah region where native grasses (such as blue stem) are practically non-existent. Coastal was a blessing for the cattle industry in this region, especially where there is poor sugar-sand soil. Combine that with all the weed sprays and pesticides that have advanced and become more affordable over the years and you get yourself a high producing mono-culture for maximum profits...but minimum quail. I say this from growing up in the cattle industry, so not saying it's "wrong" or anything as people need to make a living. I had the opportunity to witness this transition first-hand as an overgrown, weed-covered ranch with a handful of quail back in the 90s was converted back into high production and a quail has not been seen since...even with all the rain.

Last edited by 1100aggie; 10/18/16 01:16 PM.
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6500453 10/18/16 01:59 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
We have Jim Willis in our area.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...ail-1764954.php

SPRING — The sparse beauty of the tall grasses and sand plum trees at WW Ranch makes this land near the San Bernard River appear unchanged from a century ago. But the still life can be deceptive.

When hunting buddies Jim Willis and John Webb purchased the 225-acre ranch in 2000, the overgrazed property had become "a wildlife desert," as Willis phrased it. The pasture couldn't support anything but cattle.

So, they replaced the so-called improved grasses commonly planted in the area with native varieties, such as little bluestem and switchgrass, to restore habitat for bobwhite quail and other birds. Scores of them now nest in the grasses while the ranch's cattle graze nearby.

What is happening here is a vision that many see as the coastal prairie's salvation. Biologists blame the loss of habitat, primarily from development and modern farming practices, for a 75 percent drop in Texas' quail population in the past 30 years.

The quail's decline matters because the popular game bird is an "indicator species," meaning their numbers reflect the viability of an ecosystem for other grassland birds. Already, without any attempt to restock, the WW Ranch has a healthy population of one quail per acre, Willis said.

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: 1100aggie] #6500460 10/18/16 02:04 PM
M
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: 1100aggie
"In April of 1943, with the introduction of Coastal bermudagrass (an F1 hybrid between selections from Georgia and South Africa), forage production with perennial grasses changed dramatically and permanently."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/foragebermuda/bermuda.html

Maybe no one easy answer but I would say this played a role in the post oak savannah region where native grasses (such as blue stem) are practically non-existent. Coastal was a blessing for the cattle industry in this region, especially where there is poor sugar-sand soil. Combine that with all the weed sprays and pesticides that have advanced and become more affordable over the years and you get yourself a high producing mono-culture for maximum profits...but minimum quail. I say this from growing up in the cattle industry, so not saying it's "wrong" or anything as people need to make a living. I had the opportunity to witness this transition first-hand as an overgrown, weed-covered ranch with a handful of quail back in the 90s was converted back into high production and a quail has not been seen since...even with all the rain.

I agree with most of the sentiment on this entire post.

I have experienced the same first hand ranching as well as you.

However good pasture rotation on native grass can be profitable and retain good habitat for both cattle and quail. In fact they are one in the same if you can take a naturalist perspective. It does not have to be one way or the other. More often than not though production ag today leaves a ugly trail unfortunately. Again not that it is "wrong"

-Those who say money can't buy happiness never bought a dog.

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6500505 10/18/16 02:27 PM
bill oxner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
one of the driest years in history was 2011. We had quail in our area that year. We actually do better in the drier years.

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbth...tem#Post2131207

[quote=bill oxner]Did you know that there were 16 varieties of bluestem. I learned that and a lot more than I ever thought I wanted to know about weeds and grasses as I hunted with Jim Willis Saturday. I also learned that he had some great Elhew pointers. Let's go straight to the pictures.

Here's Elhew Dixie with Jim doing the honors;

Here's a great Britt named Buddy pointing as Elhew Sue backing;

Elhew Dixie again;

Here's Sue pointing with Jim doing the honors;

Sue again;

I'm not making this up. Byron brought a Britt named Buddy and a GWP named Ranger. Here's Ranger pointing with Cracker backing;

Would you pick out ranger as a GWP?

I don't post many pictures of Cracker anymore, but she does point. Here you go;

I saved the best bird dog picture for last. Here's Yeats with ET doing the honors;

Jim liked to look at the guts. This crop was filled with a milo size weed seed;

After the hunt;

Quail hunting is like walking into, and out of a beautiful painting all day long. Gene Hill

[Linked Image]

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: rowdydog1] #6500579 10/18/16 03:11 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
exactly

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6500648 10/18/16 03:42 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Rain is the king, but we still need people like Dale to help us make the inevitable drought years less catastrophic.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6501023 10/18/16 07:12 PM
R
reeltexan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R

On the TFF there's been a lot of hand wringing for the past ten years over drought, and it has been severe.
But I was always reminded of Matthew 6 - "Look at the birds. They don't plant or harvest or store food in barns, but the heavenly Father cares for them, now as always."

He's been doing it for a long time.

[Linked Image]

"Give me an Army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle... Give me a handful of Texas Aggies and I'll win a war." - General Patton

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6503894 10/20/16 03:14 PM
K
kindall Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
I hope the weatherman is wrong, but they are predicting a dryer year for Texas starting this winter.

Shopping with your husband is like hunting with the game warden.
Experience is what you get, when you didn't get what you wanted.

Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked] #6503957 10/20/16 03:51 PM
M
MS1454 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
Dryer than?? With all the rain we have had this year, a dryer year might not be too bad.

Originally Posted By: Fooshman
I'll take a Black Female every time.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide