Shotgun for Home Defense #6499239 10/17/16 06:21 PM
J
JLD1911 Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
J
Hello all,

I am considering a shotgun for HD purposes. I'm kind of short (5'6"), so my top choice is a Remington 870 youth 20 or 12 gauge. Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499275 10/17/16 06:42 PM
N
Nitro27 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
i think you are one the right track

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499289 10/17/16 06:50 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Unless you shoot a pump regularly, under extreme stress you might do ok, or you might not.

And forget about the stupid racking the slide to make sound argument, it's good for a movie effect but a terrible tactic.

Stick with a reliable semi-auto with a 20" or 22" barrel, cut to fit you.

Winchester Super-X of any vintage. Add a magazine extension and have the stock cut to fit.

Winchester made a National Wild Turkey Foundation model with a shorter barrel that is really well suited for this role.

Benelli of your choice is another option if a mag extension is available.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: jeffbird] #6499321 10/17/16 07:07 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Unless you shoot a pump regularly, under extreme stress you might do ok, or you might not.

And forget about the stupid racking the slide to make sound argument, it's good for a movie effect but a terrible tactic.

Stick with a reliable semi-auto with a 20" or 22" barrel, cut to fit you.

Winchester Super-X of any vintage. Add a magazine extension and have the stock cut to fit.

Winchester made a National Wild Turkey Foundation model with a shorter barrel that is really well suited for this role.

Benelli of your choice is another option if a mag extension is available.
good advise, might look at pistol grip models.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: colt45-90] #6499357 10/17/16 07:27 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
IMO, pistol grips are terrible for anything except looking cool. Hard to control, and even harder for follow up shots.

And JEFFBIRD is right about racking the slide ...... that's a very good way to get shot by the bad guy. I prefer to shoot first, then rack the slide.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499362 10/17/16 07:28 PM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
I of course have never been in a situation to have to decide but I would never rack a pump to scare people. In my mind it would give an intruder something to shoot at.

My turkey gun doubles as my HD shotgun. It's a Weatherby SA-459 Turkey 20 gauge with a Burris FastFire III.

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499454 10/17/16 08:34 PM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

I would recommend a 9mm Carbine before a shotgun for serval reasons:

1. It uses a round designed primarily for self defense. This is important because if you ever have to use the gun you will not have lawyer issues.
2. The recoil is consistent between round choices
3. You will have less chance of the round leaving your house
4. The gun uses a clip
5. Semi Autos require less muscle memory
6. Carbines are much easier to aim than a pistol
7. You can mount flashlights easily with out defeating the purpose of the gun

There will be a lot of push back on this. I paid for a lawyers opinion on this topic because I have had lots of people ask me this question and also because I thought it maybe a good business to be in (business of selling legal defense insurance in the case a gun needed to be used). This lawyers opinion was basically in a nut shell it is easier to defend a gun or load that is made for primarily for home defense than it is to defend a gun or load that has a different use such as hunting, competition shooting...

The problem with a shot gun for home defense is that it is so good at just about any thing a real good DA can turn your shotgun into a urban assault weapon for a jury. You start adding anything tactical on it and there you go, you are now in possession of a weapon of mass confusion for people who do not understand guns.

If you are a hunter and you use a shotgun for defense the easy answer is yes this my duck gun and I heard a noise.

But if you only have a gun for self dense buy a gun that is only for self defense.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499610 10/17/16 10:26 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Here's a vote for the pump shotgun, I would not trust an autoloader after having to work on so many of them for various reasons.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6499615 10/17/16 10:27 PM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Just Nate
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

1. It uses a round designed primarily for self defense. This is important because if you ever have to use the gun you will not have lawyer issues.
4. The gun uses a clip

There will be a lot of push back on this. I paid for a lawyers opinion on this topic because I have had lots of people ask me this question and also because I thought it maybe a good business to be in (business of selling legal defense insurance in the case a gun needed to be used). This lawyers opinion was basically in a nut shell it is easier to defend a gun or load that is made for primarily for home defense than it is to defend a gun or load that has a different use such as hunting, competition shooting...

The problem with a shot gun for home defense is that it is so good at just about any thing a real good DA can turn your shotgun into a urban assault weapon for a jury. You start adding anything tactical on it and there you go, you are now in possession of a weapon of mass confusion for people who do not understand guns.

If you are a hunter and you use a shotgun for defense the easy answer is yes this my duck gun and I heard a noise.

But if you only have a gun for self dense buy a gun that is only for self defense.

That's a bunch of crap. Find me ONE case heard in a Texas court where a man was convicted of a crime for using any weapon in self defense over another weapon. It won't be there. Your lawyer wanted to give you something that sounded good so he would get paid.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499658 10/17/16 10:53 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
^^^ Hit the nail on the head, there.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: TFF Caribou] #6499668 10/17/16 10:58 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

That's a bunch of crap. Find me ONE case heard in a Texas court where a man was convicted of a crime for using any weapon in self defense over another weapon. It won't be there. Your lawyer wanted to give you something that sounded good so he would get paid.

YEP. Total BS. I know there are a lot of people around who don't care for Massad Ayoob for various reasons, but he wrote a book many years ago titled "In The Gravest Extreme". I would consider it mandatory reading for anyone who arms themselves either in their home or on the street. He goes into detail what to say, when to say it, and what to do if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense. And he definitely has the credentials to give the advice. If you can find a copy I'd strongly recommend it for any gun owner.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499730 10/17/16 11:32 PM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Back to the OP. A rem870 is a great choice. I would probably try to find an older one as It seems the older ones are a little smoother. Keep one in the chamber ready to go. I used to keep mine unloaded with 3 in the tube, until I thought I needed it one night, and forgot to rack the slide.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499740 10/17/16 11:41 PM
B
Bigfoot Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
#6 was true the rest of those points are suspect

GO TRUMP!
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Creedmoor] #6499850 10/18/16 01:05 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

YEP. Total BS. I know there are a lot of people around who don't care for Massad Ayoob for various reasons, but he wrote a book many years ago titled "In The Gravest Extreme". I would consider it mandatory reading for anyone who arms themselves either in their home or on the street. He goes into detail what to say, when to say it, and what to do if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense. And he definitely has the credentials to give the advice. If you can find a copy I'd strongly recommend it for any gun owner.

Have you actually done anything in your life or do you just rely on what others have said or written?

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: TFF Caribou] #6499855 10/18/16 01:06 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

And you do what?

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499857 10/18/16 01:08 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I'm a caterer. Find the legal precedent to support what he's saying. Or better yet, pay the lawyer to. There is zero legal precedent in Texas to support that opinion.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499861 10/18/16 01:10 AM
Grizz Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
There are all kinds of shotguns designed and marketed as home defense shotguns and plenty of shotgun ammo designed for self defense. Shooting someone with a home defense shotgun is no different in the legal system than shooting them with any other gun.
As far as the OP, it's a matter of personal preference, but I like my Mossberg 590, primarily because I just like tang safeties.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499869 10/18/16 01:13 AM
S
scalebuster Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I keep a youth 870 20ga by the bed.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: TFF Caribou] #6499870 10/18/16 01:15 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I'm a caterer. Find the legal precedent to support what he's saying. Or better yet, pay the lawyer to. There is zero legal precedent in Texas to support that opinion.

Castillo v. United States •; 2000; 530 U.S. 120; 629

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6499880 10/18/16 01:19 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Wallace v. United States • Ð; 1896; 162 U.S. 466; 224

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499890 10/18/16 01:23 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499907 10/18/16 01:30 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Nate,
what do you do for a living?

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: charlesb] #6499926 10/18/16 01:36 AM
C
changedmyname Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Here's a vote for the pump shotgun, I would not trust an autoloader after having to work on so many of them for various reasons.

+1. I can't imagine using anything but a pump. Operation of it better be all muscle memory though.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: jeffbird] #6499935 10/18/16 01:43 AM
Nathan Nelson Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Nate,
what do you do for a living?

Investor in a couple of Hunting Ranches, Investor in a Bullet Manufacture, Own an Insurance Company that sells Legal Counsel in case you use a gun to protect yourself, Investor in some Water Companies, Own a Telephone and a Paging Company and, Run a Charity that takes LEO, Fire Fighters and Military personal on hunts (about 600 hunts so far).

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6499967 10/18/16 02:00 AM
T
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T

Not applicable even a little bit. That's discussing the use of a machine gun while commiting a crime. Not if being used for self defense. And it doesn't mentioned wether the person would be legally allowed to own such a weapon

Last edited by Tff caribou; 10/18/16 02:09 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide