6241061 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6499293 - 10/17/16 01:51 PM So is Dale Rollins out of a job
blanked Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: magnolia tx
As far as all his research on why the quail numbers were so low.

#6499316 - 10/17/16 02:05 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
reeltexan Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Ovilla - TEXAS
popcorn

"Count that day lost whose low, descending sun
Is not, in part, obscured by powder from my gun"
B. Spiller

#6499328 - 10/17/16 02:12 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
pharmvet Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: North East Tx
If so, we can certainly use his expertise here in East Texas!!

#6499336 - 10/17/16 02:17 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
duckbill Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Mckinney, Texas
Originally Posted By: blanked
As far as all his research on why the quail numbers were so low.

What were his theories?

Originally Posted By: East
Lol. Duckbill that was funny!

Originally Posted By: thecoach
The dude up top has already taken lots of bone before this deer, both mule and whitetail.

#6499380 - 10/17/16 02:37 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
rowdydog1 Offline
Woodsman

No disrespect to Dale or anyone else researching in the field. But it sure seems to come down to what I've heard some old ranchers say. When it rains, we have quail, when it don't rain we don't have quail. Pretty simple really.

#6499643 - 10/17/16 05:47 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Yep, all of this rain the past two years must have drowned all of the eyeworms that were killing the quail.
bolt

#6499695 - 10/17/16 06:10 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: rowdydog1]
NorthTXbirdhunter Offline
Tracker

Loc: Rowlett, Texas
Originally Posted By: rowdydog1
No disrespect to Dale or anyone else researching in the field. But it sure seems to come down to what I've heard some old ranchers say. When it rains, we have quail, when it don't rain we don't have quail. Pretty simple really.

Reckon how may gazillion dollars were spent on research of "The Decline of the Bobwhite Quail" in the past 5-6 years when the answer seemed to be so obvious? Isn't Mother Nature so awesome that she can fix the problem for free?!!!

#6499760 - 10/17/16 06:52 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: NorthTXbirdhunter]
Chet Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Benbrook
Dale still works to get ranchers to do what they can to improve habitat and that is only one of many roles he and the ranch play. I'm glad the drought ended and the birds are back but having Dale around is a big plus for Texas and for bird hunters. My guess is that the prolonged drought was good for the hosts of the eye worm (grasshoppers etc) thus the big increase in the eye worm problem. The eye worms have been around for some time but worse in the past few dry years. It may have been those that made what looked like a decent bird crops in August/Sept disappear in Oct. But what ever the case Dale is a big advantage for bird hunters and glad he's running the research ranch. And dam sure glad the birds are back.

#6499772 - 10/17/16 06:58 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
Barny Topwater Offline
red bone Bob

Loc: New Braunfels TX USA
There has also been a steady decline in quail numbers since the 50's. The numbers rebounded but they are still down. Habitat is one problem but there used to be quail all over TX and OK. Other than habitat and moisture he's doing what he can to determine what else could be causing it

Edited by Barny Topwater (10/17/16 06:58 PM)

#6499840 - 10/17/16 07:59 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: Barny Topwater]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Barny Topwater
There has also been a steady decline in quail numbers since the 50's. The numbers rebounded but they are still down. Habitat is one problem but there used to be quail all over TX and OK. Other than habitat and moisture he's doing what he can to determine what else could be causing it

Agree100%

#6499841 - 10/17/16 08:00 PM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: Chet]
Pro Tracker

Originally Posted By: Chet
Dale still works to get ranchers to do what they can to improve habitat and that is only one of many roles he and the ranch play. I'm glad the drought ended and the birds are back but having Dale around is a big plus for Texas and for bird hunters. My guess is that the prolonged drought was good for the hosts of the eye worm (grasshoppers etc) thus the big increase in the eye worm problem. The eye worms have been around for some time but worse in the past few dry years. It may have been those that made what looked like a decent bird crops in August/Sept disappear in Oct. But what ever the case Dale is a big advantage for bird hunters and glad he's running the research ranch. And dam sure glad the birds are back.

Agree 100%

#6500297 - 10/18/16 07:34 AM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
CCBIRDDOGMAN Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: CEDAR CREEK LAKE
I agree with the last two also. Are the quail back in East Texas? Arkansas? Mississippi? Alabama? Nope. So it's not just rain.

#6500343 - 10/18/16 08:08 AM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: CCBIRDDOGMAN]
1100aggie Online   content
Light Foot

Loc: Tomball, TX
"In April of 1943, with the introduction of Coastal bermudagrass (an F1 hybrid between selections from Georgia and South Africa), forage production with perennial grasses changed dramatically and permanently."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/foragebermuda/bermuda.html

Maybe no one easy answer but I would say this played a role in the post oak savannah region where native grasses (such as blue stem) are practically non-existent. Coastal was a blessing for the cattle industry in this region, especially where there is poor sugar-sand soil. Combine that with all the weed sprays and pesticides that have advanced and become more affordable over the years and you get yourself a high producing mono-culture for maximum profits...but minimum quail. I say this from growing up in the cattle industry, so not saying it's "wrong" or anything as people need to make a living. I had the opportunity to witness this transition first-hand as an overgrown, weed-covered ranch with a handful of quail back in the 90s was converted back into high production and a quail has not been seen since...even with all the rain.

Edited by 1100aggie (10/18/16 08:16 AM)

#6500453 - 10/18/16 08:59 AM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: blanked]
bill oxner Online   content
THF Celebrity

Loc: Richmond
We have Jim Willis in our area.

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas/...ail-1764954.php

SPRING — The sparse beauty of the tall grasses and sand plum trees at WW Ranch makes this land near the San Bernard River appear unchanged from a century ago. But the still life can be deceptive.

When hunting buddies Jim Willis and John Webb purchased the 225-acre ranch in 2000, the overgrazed property had become "a wildlife desert," as Willis phrased it. The pasture couldn't support anything but cattle.

So, they replaced the so-called improved grasses commonly planted in the area with native varieties, such as little bluestem and switchgrass, to restore habitat for bobwhite quail and other birds. Scores of them now nest in the grasses while the ranch's cattle graze nearby.

What is happening here is a vision that many see as the coastal prairie's salvation. Biologists blame the loss of habitat, primarily from development and modern farming practices, for a 75 percent drop in Texas' quail population in the past 30 years.

The quail's decline matters because the popular game bird is an "indicator species," meaning their numbers reflect the viability of an ecosystem for other grassland birds. Already, without any attempt to restock, the WW Ranch has a healthy population of one quail per acre, Willis said.

#6500460 - 10/18/16 09:04 AM Re: So is Dale Rollins out of a job [Re: 1100aggie]
MoBettaHuntR Offline
Tracker

Loc: West is the best...
Originally Posted By: 1100aggie
"In April of 1943, with the introduction of Coastal bermudagrass (an F1 hybrid between selections from Georgia and South Africa), forage production with perennial grasses changed dramatically and permanently."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/archives/parsons/turf/publications/foragebermuda/bermuda.html

Maybe no one easy answer but I would say this played a role in the post oak savannah region where native grasses (such as blue stem) are practically non-existent. Coastal was a blessing for the cattle industry in this region, especially where there is poor sugar-sand soil. Combine that with all the weed sprays and pesticides that have advanced and become more affordable over the years and you get yourself a high producing mono-culture for maximum profits...but minimum quail. I say this from growing up in the cattle industry, so not saying it's "wrong" or anything as people need to make a living. I had the opportunity to witness this transition first-hand as an overgrown, weed-covered ranch with a handful of quail back in the 90s was converted back into high production and a quail has not been seen since...even with all the rain.

I agree with most of the sentiment on this entire post.

I have experienced the same first hand ranching as well as you.

However good pasture rotation on native grass can be profitable and retain good habitat for both cattle and quail. In fact they are one in the same if you can take a naturalist perspective. It does not have to be one way or the other. More often than not though production ag today leaves a ugly trail unfortunately. Again not that it is "wrong"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide