Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6499976 10/18/16 02:03 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: JLD
Hello all,

I am considering a shotgun for HD purposes. I'm kind of short (5'6"), so my top choice is a Remington 870 youth 20 or 12 gauge. Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

JLD, this is an interesting video to consider: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrGrRIojnAs The guy makes some very good points about using a shottie in a home defense situation.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6499983 10/18/16 02:07 AM
T
TFF Caribou Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: Just Nate
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
I'm a caterer. Find the legal precedent to support what he's saying. Or better yet, pay the lawyer to. There is zero legal precedent in Texas to support that opinion.

Castillo v. United States •; 2000; 530 U.S. 120; 629

Wallace v. United States • Đ; 1896; 162 U.S. 466; 224

Also not even close to relevant. I didn't ask for a case where a man was convicted for defending himself, I asked for a case, where a man was convicted of a crime because he used one weapon instead of another. You claimed that using a hunting gun could somehow get you in more trouble than using a dedicated defensive weapon. It was, and still is not only a preposterous claim, but really bad advice.

The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference. -George Washington
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6500103 10/18/16 03:12 AM
B
Big Fitz Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
B
JLD, any 870 pump is good for this application. Forget all the confusing crap as it will serve your needs. 20 or 12 ga matters not, both are more than effective for in home protection. Go with what you know and are comfortable with.

Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I was wrong...on anything technical.

Originally Posted by Sailor
Fitz............. is right, ya know............
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6500201 10/18/16 10:13 AM
B
booradley Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
"4. The gun uses a clip."

Who makes a clip for loading Hi-point magazines?

Don’t roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Nathan Nelson] #6500294 10/18/16 12:31 PM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

That has absolutely nothing to do with the topic being discussed. Is that the best you can come up with?

Have you actually done anything in your life or do you just rely on what others have said or written?

Not that it's any of your business, but I've owned and sold 4 businesses (at a profit), was sales manager for a major manufacturing company, went to college on a baseball scholarship, lived in 6 different states, won awards for long range shooting, been reloading since 1972, and won the club title at my local skeet club. I've hunted from the coast of NC to the high country of AZ. I retired at age 47 because I was smart with my money and made good decisions. My father raised me to be a gentleman and to always do the right thing. I've led an active life with my share of failures and successes and was intelligent enough to learn from them. And I learned a long time ago that there are lots of people out there that like to act the part but aren't able to actually participate.

And FWIW, motivational speaker Charlie “Tremendous” Jones said ..... “You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet and the books you read.” You have heard of him, right? So yeah, I do put a great deal of stock in the things that I read. You should try it sometime.

..... Investor in a Bullet Manufacture ....

And yet just a week ago you didn't understand ballistic coefficients and the difference between a target bullet and a hunting bullet?

But I didn't know we were having a "measuring" contest. I thought this was a discussion about having a shotgun for home defense ......... confused2

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6501333 10/18/16 10:16 PM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
While the urinating contest continues, let's go back to the original question: what do we use and/or recommend as a home defense shotgun? My choice is a the DP-12, a double barreled, pump action shotgun that holds 14 rounds. It's on a "bull pup" frame, and while a bit heavy, my 5 foot, 3 inch tall wife shoots it regularly and thinks it's a hoot to shoot. I sold a couple of my "home defense" shotties so I could buy this one. Street price hovers around 11-12 hundred bucks. Here's a video of some guys having a bit of fun with one of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGFb_opqFdk

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6501394 10/18/16 11:10 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
I'm easy to please, it seems to me that my good old 12ga Mossberg 500 with the extended magazine is sufficient to the task.

Every year, whether it needs it or not, I take it to the range and fire the shells that it holds. Then back home to clean it and use Renaissance wax on the outside, reload it - and back it goes to its old spot, hopefully not to be fired again until another year has gone by.

There are nicer shotguns, but I have used Mossberg 500's for close to 50 years without a single malfunction of any kind. I feel complete confidence that if called upon, it will go bang.

Confidence is a factor in self-defense. Whatever you have the most confidence in is good enough, after all you are defending yourself, not me, so whether I would feel confident in the same thing really does not apply.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: mikei] #6501427 10/18/16 11:31 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted By: mikei
While the urinating contest continues, let's go back to the original question: what do we use and/or recommend as a home defense shotgun? My choice is a the DP-12, a double barreled, pump action shotgun that holds 14 rounds. It's on a "bull pup" frame, and while a bit heavy, my 5 foot, 3 inch tall wife shoots it regularly and thinks it's a hoot to shoot. I sold a couple of my "home defense" shotties so I could buy this one. Street price hovers around 11-12 hundred bucks. Here's a video of some guys having a bit of fun with one of them:

LOL! THAT is one wicked little dude!!
eek2

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: RiverRider] #6501532 10/19/16 12:43 AM
M
mikei Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted By: RiverRider
Originally Posted By: mikei

LOL! THAT is one wicked little dude!!
eek2

That it is! And being an old slide action kind of guy, I thought I'd have trouble getting used to the action: one pump, two shots. But after just a few shots with it, I had no problems, nor have any of my other "old fart" shooting buddies that have been dragging around pump actions since they were just little fellers. You just "get it," once you've racked it and shot it few times, and then you can't get enough of it. Of course, there's always the argument that your years old muscle memory will kick in under high stress conditions, and there certainly is something to that argument. I've now put several hundred rounds through the Beast and am fairly confident that I've beaten the muscle memory into DP-12 shape! I really like this weapon; sure wish it had been with me on a few excursions I took into the jungles of SE Asia 50 years ago.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6502668 10/19/16 07:18 PM
T
TXHunterKLewis Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
While I didn't purchase my shotgun with the intent on using it for self defense, I have no doubt that if the situation presented itself, my 28 inch barrel Mossberg 500 would do just fine with defending my family.

V/R,

Kevin
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6502996 10/19/16 11:02 PM
P
Pigsicles Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
P
I'll play, Saiga 12 ga with a Phoenix kicklite stock. Stick mag or drum.
Besides home intrusion it's great for zombies and other undesirables.

Pulsar Trail XQ50
Pulsar HD 19A
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503026 10/19/16 11:22 PM
F
FWBanger Offline
Tracker
Tracker
F
Many articles have been written and many experts agree that using a shotgun for home defense is a good choice for many reasons. If you aren't very familiar with guns and don't practice regularly you stand a better chance of hitting a target when firing a gun that throws a pattern of multiple projectiles. This is especially true if you are operating under stressful conditions or if you are frightened. If over penetration is a concern then you can choose a load that reduces that risk (i.e.; heavy goose loads instead of buckshot). I'm only 5'8" and I have many 12 gauges and I shoot them regularly. I shoot everything from light dove loads to 3.5 #4 loads out of a double barrel. With proper technique and a good recoil pad you can handle a 12 gauge. If you're concerned about recoil then a 20 gauge will be fine in close quarters defensive situations. Do not try to use a pistol grip only shotgun unless you plan to practice with it a lot. Accuracy is necessary, even with a shotgun especially at short distances. Most people shoot more accurately when they shoulder and aim a gun. I've fired a pistol grip only shotgun and it did not lend itself to accuracy or ease of operation. My #1 choice, Mossberg 590 with an 18" barrel.

Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503223 10/20/16 01:11 AM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted By: JLD
Hello all,

I am considering a shotgun for HD purposes. I'm kind of short (5'6"), so my top choice is a Remington 870 youth 20 or 12 gauge. Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

Good call. 20 ga is more than capable.

Buy a variety of loads to test, based on where/how you live. Set up some wood/drywall and other materials to get a feel for penetration (massive differences)and patterning at multiple distances. THEN buy your self defense loads. Be aware that many shotguns are known to fire if hit (dropped) sharply on the stock. Read up on it and test it before taking action.

I keep my own self defense weapons loaded and chambered - except my shotguns.

Marc

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503372 10/20/16 02:39 AM
Chickenman Offline
Extremely Right Wing
Extremely Right Wing
After owning a bunch and rotating different models in and out the HD role, I decided that a Saiga SBS works best for me today. It fits on the safe door nicely, short, and easy to operate. Just drop the lever and you're ready to start dumping shot.

[Linked Image]
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503469 10/20/16 03:31 AM
N
Normanpig Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
Hummmmmm

If everything goes right in my life a HIGHPOINT will not be involved!

Short of eavesdropping on people in gun stores. That can be some solid entertainment!

yep, sure, why not
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503568 10/20/16 10:46 AM
HWY_MAN Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Not one mention of the Ithaca Model 37. One of the smoothest actions since the model 12 Winchesters, mines within arm reach right now. Mines the standard 18.5 inch 5 shot but I'm fixing to get a Model 37 Defender with the 20 inch and 8 round capacity. It served us well during WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Should work fine around the house. I might add that it and the older Model 12 Winchesters are the only two I can cycle one handed.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503612 10/20/16 11:59 AM
C
Creedmoor Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Good point. My father was on a recon team during the Korean War and he carried a Model 37 that had been primitively shortened (read: hacksaw) and was carried strapped to his thigh. The team of 5 carried Mod 37s, bowie knives, and 1911s. It was interesting to see pics and hear him talk about the things they did.

There's a fine line between BRAVE ... and STUPID.

The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: HWY_MAN] #6503777 10/20/16 01:50 PM
R
rex47 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
R
Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
Not one mention of the Ithaca Model 37. One of the smoothest actions since the model 12 Winchesters, mines within arm reach right now. Mines the standard 18.5 inch 5 shot but I'm fixing to get a Model 37 Defender with the 20 inch and 8 round capacity. It served us well during WWII, Korea and Vietnam. Should work fine around the house. I might add that it and the older Model 12 Winchesters are the only two I can cycle one handed.

THIS have 37 feather weight and model 12 stamped U.S on the side.

when the going gets really tough, I sit down and rest
Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD1911] #6503865 10/20/16 02:58 PM
T
Tactical Cowboy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
T
AR with a 40 round mag loaded with 45 grain vmax ammo.

The secret to a long life is to try not to shorten it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide