Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#6499239 - 10/17/16 01:21 PM Shotgun for Home Defense
JLD Offline
Woodsman

Loc: Dallas, Tx.
Hello all,

I am considering a shotgun for HD purposes. I'm kind of short (5'6"), so my top choice is a Remington 870 youth 20 or 12 gauge. Do you have any other recommendations? Thanks!

#6499275 - 10/17/16 01:42 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
Nitro27 Offline
Bird Dog

Loc: Terrell,TX
i think you are one the right track

#6499289 - 10/17/16 01:50 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
jeffbird Online   content

Unless you shoot a pump regularly, under extreme stress you might do ok, or you might not.

And forget about the stupid racking the slide to make sound argument, it's good for a movie effect but a terrible tactic.

Stick with a reliable semi-auto with a 20" or 22" barrel, cut to fit you.

Winchester Super-X of any vintage. Add a magazine extension and have the stock cut to fit.

Winchester made a National Wild Turkey Foundation model with a shorter barrel that is really well suited for this role.

Benelli of your choice is another option if a mag extension is available.

#6499321 - 10/17/16 02:07 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: jeffbird]
colt45 Online   content
THF Trophy Hunter

Loc: bastrop county
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Unless you shoot a pump regularly, under extreme stress you might do ok, or you might not.

And forget about the stupid racking the slide to make sound argument, it's good for a movie effect but a terrible tactic.

Stick with a reliable semi-auto with a 20" or 22" barrel, cut to fit you.

Winchester Super-X of any vintage. Add a magazine extension and have the stock cut to fit.

Winchester made a National Wild Turkey Foundation model with a shorter barrel that is really well suited for this role.

Benelli of your choice is another option if a mag extension is available.
good advise, might look at pistol grip models.

#6499357 - 10/17/16 02:27 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: colt45]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
IMO, pistol grips are terrible for anything except looking cool. Hard to control, and even harder for follow up shots.

And JEFFBIRD is right about racking the slide ...... that's a very good way to get shot by the bad guy. I prefer to shoot first, then rack the slide.

#6499362 - 10/17/16 02:28 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
booradley Online   content
Pro Tracker

Loc: Justin, TX
I of course have never been in a situation to have to decide but I would never rack a pump to scare people. In my mind it would give an intruder something to shoot at.

My turkey gun doubles as my HD shotgun. It's a Weatherby SA-459 Turkey 20 gauge with a Burris FastFire III.

#6499454 - 10/17/16 03:34 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
Just Nate Online   content
Extreme Tracker

Loc: Austin, TX
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

I would recommend a 9mm Carbine before a shotgun for serval reasons:

1. It uses a round designed primarily for self defense. This is important because if you ever have to use the gun you will not have lawyer issues.
2. The recoil is consistent between round choices
3. You will have less chance of the round leaving your house
4. The gun uses a clip
5. Semi Autos require less muscle memory
6. Carbines are much easier to aim than a pistol
7. You can mount flashlights easily with out defeating the purpose of the gun

There will be a lot of push back on this. I paid for a lawyers opinion on this topic because I have had lots of people ask me this question and also because I thought it maybe a good business to be in (business of selling legal defense insurance in the case a gun needed to be used). This lawyers opinion was basically in a nut shell it is easier to defend a gun or load that is made for primarily for home defense than it is to defend a gun or load that has a different use such as hunting, competition shooting...

The problem with a shot gun for home defense is that it is so good at just about any thing a real good DA can turn your shotgun into a urban assault weapon for a jury. You start adding anything tactical on it and there you go, you are now in possession of a weapon of mass confusion for people who do not understand guns.

If you are a hunter and you use a shotgun for defense the easy answer is yes this my duck gun and I heard a noise.

But if you only have a gun for self dense buy a gun that is only for self defense.

#6499610 - 10/17/16 05:26 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
Here's a vote for the pump shotgun, I would not trust an autoloader after having to work on so many of them for various reasons.

#6499615 - 10/17/16 05:27 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Just Nate]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Originally Posted By: Just Nate
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

1. It uses a round designed primarily for self defense. This is important because if you ever have to use the gun you will not have lawyer issues.
4. The gun uses a clip

There will be a lot of push back on this. I paid for a lawyers opinion on this topic because I have had lots of people ask me this question and also because I thought it maybe a good business to be in (business of selling legal defense insurance in the case a gun needed to be used). This lawyers opinion was basically in a nut shell it is easier to defend a gun or load that is made for primarily for home defense than it is to defend a gun or load that has a different use such as hunting, competition shooting...

The problem with a shot gun for home defense is that it is so good at just about any thing a real good DA can turn your shotgun into a urban assault weapon for a jury. You start adding anything tactical on it and there you go, you are now in possession of a weapon of mass confusion for people who do not understand guns.

If you are a hunter and you use a shotgun for defense the easy answer is yes this my duck gun and I heard a noise.

But if you only have a gun for self dense buy a gun that is only for self defense.

That's a bunch of crap. Find me ONE case heard in a Texas court where a man was convicted of a crime for using any weapon in self defense over another weapon. It won't be there. Your lawyer wanted to give you something that sounded good so he would get paid.

#6499658 - 10/17/16 05:53 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker

Loc: West Texas mountains
^^^ Hit the nail on the head, there.

#6499668 - 10/17/16 05:58 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Tff caribou]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Originally Posted By: Tff caribou
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

That's a bunch of crap. Find me ONE case heard in a Texas court where a man was convicted of a crime for using any weapon in self defense over another weapon. It won't be there. Your lawyer wanted to give you something that sounded good so he would get paid.

YEP. Total BS. I know there are a lot of people around who don't care for Massad Ayoob for various reasons, but he wrote a book many years ago titled "In The Gravest Extreme". I would consider it mandatory reading for anyone who arms themselves either in their home or on the street. He goes into detail what to say, when to say it, and what to do if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense. And he definitely has the credentials to give the advice. If you can find a copy I'd strongly recommend it for any gun owner.

#6499730 - 10/17/16 06:32 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
Tff caribou Online   content
Veteran Tracker

Loc: Watauga, TX
Back to the OP. A rem870 is a great choice. I would probably try to find an older one as It seems the older ones are a little smoother. Keep one in the chamber ready to go. I used to keep mine unloaded with 3 in the tube, until I thought I needed it one night, and forgot to rack the slide.

#6499740 - 10/17/16 06:41 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: JLD]
Bigfoot Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Galveston Bay
#6 was true the rest of those points are suspect

#6499850 - 10/17/16 08:05 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Creedmoor]
Extreme Tracker

Originally Posted By: Creedmoor
HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

YEP. Total BS. I know there are a lot of people around who don't care for Massad Ayoob for various reasons, but he wrote a book many years ago titled "In The Gravest Extreme". I would consider it mandatory reading for anyone who arms themselves either in their home or on the street. He goes into detail what to say, when to say it, and what to do if you ever have to use your firearm in self defense. And he definitely has the credentials to give the advice. If you can find a copy I'd strongly recommend it for any gun owner.

Have you actually done anything in your life or do you just rely on what others have said or written?

#6499855 - 10/17/16 08:06 PM Re: Shotgun for Home Defense [Re: Tff caribou]
Extreme Tracker

HIPOINT 9mm Carbine

4. The gun uses a clip

And you do what?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide