Print Thread
My first lease #6498764 10/17/16 01:16 PM
C
cougar579 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
C
Getting my first lease,and need help with all the dos and don'ts of having a lease. For example,forms to sign,questions to ask owner etc. Appreciate everyone's input.

Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6498780 10/17/16 01:29 PM
B
Bald Eagle Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
I am looking for my first lease also. How much should you pay an acre? How many acres for one gun?

Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6498789 10/17/16 01:41 PM
S
sbushee Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
There are lots of things to consider. Follow the landowner's rules, first and foremost. Do what he/she says and enjoy the experience

Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6498923 10/17/16 02:52 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
the list could be endless or so it would seem. First off, I would find out what rules or expectations the land owner has about you hunting their land. Most LO now days will have a lease or contract that lists rules, if not, ask them directly and you may want to jot down notes. Most of the time these are more for a CYA of the landowner from a liability standpoint. Find out what you are allowed to hunt (deer, hogs, turkey, quail, dove, ducks, varmints, etc.) and when you are allowed to hunt them. Some LO only want you out there during season, with a few off season trips to fill/maintain equipment (stands, feeders, shooting lanes, etc.) and expect you to let them know in advance when you plan on being out there. Also find out expectations of what the LO wants you to take age-wise, quantity, etc. AND what they don't want you messing with (I had one LO that told us to kill anything that was legal other than armadillos and coons). Most of the things might seem like common sense to most long time hunters, but the thought process by LO has changed over time due to neglect and abuse of property & rights. Best to find out expectations up front, than to tick off the LO and get booted by not asking.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6498956 10/17/16 03:09 PM
D
dkershen Online Content
Rev Dave
Online Content
Rev Dave
D
Generally it's the owners job to have a contract for the leasee's to sign. It should be clear and written in a way to protect both parties. And if the group has lease rules, those are best spelled out in written form and shared and signed by the group. You'll need to agree on stands and stand placement, feeding, deer management, friends and family access, ATV use, practice shooting, drinking rules... just about anything that can cause a disagreement is best sorted out ahead of time.

Also suggest never leasing from an outfitter (and I'm an outfitter). Always deal directly with the landowner if at all possible.

Red flags or problems to watch for:

Does the land owner have friends or family that "may hunt" when you're not around.
Are there livestock and when are they worked? (nothing worse than having 100 stocker cattle released in your pasture on opening weekend.)
Do other people access the property for any reason.. and when? i.e. - Oil Field or Ranch Hands?
If you make improvements, who owns them? I.E - Build a cabin

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6499054 10/17/16 04:21 PM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
Are you getting on the lease as a member, or are you leasing the rights to the entire property? If you are signing up as a member, the land owner should have the paperwork, and let you know his expectations. If you are going to be in charge of the lease, you still need to know his expectations, and then you will have to decide how to run it within those guidelines. It is best to get things in writing. If not, at least take notes and if possible, communicate by e-mail so you have some documentation if there is a dispute.

Re: My first lease [Re: dkershen] #6499601 10/17/16 10:18 PM
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: dkershen
Are there livestock and when are they worked? (nothing worse than having 100 stocker cattle released in your pasture on opening weekend.)...

LOL ... my dad and his hunting buddies lost their lease in August to LO passing, kids took over and booted everyone. They went and looked at a lease in early-mid Sept. that came open, had good grass, saw a number of deer doing a drive thru, hand shake deal with LO ... came back the next week and set up camp and blinds/feeders. Came back opening weekend to find about 300-400 head of Spanish goats had been released likely the week after they set stuff up ... there wasn't 3 blades of grass on the entire 600 acres and not a deer was seen all season long.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6499697 10/17/16 11:13 PM
R
RedHoss Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I leased 350 acres in Lampasses County where the landowner said there would be no livestock as a selling point. I showed up opening weekend to find out that he just dumped 225 head of sheep in that pasture. I called him on it and he just said he had changed his mind about the livestock after the fact. Ruined the entire pasture and ran off every deer. I had a hard time understanding because he had several other pastures that were empty of livestock. A "Gentleman's Agreement" and handshake mean nothing anymore. That's not the only time I got shafted because I trusted someone concerning a lease. I was raised that a man's word was his bond. Those days are gone! realmad

Re: My first lease [Re: cougar579] #6499917 10/18/16 01:33 AM
B
Brother Phil Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
A mans word is still his bond. If not, then he is not a man. A contract is always better than not having one. However, if someone is dishonest, you are shafted either way. A lease is mostly based on trust and mutual respect for all involved. I have had some unpleasant experiences with leases, mostly day leases, but overall most people were OK to deal with.

Re: My first lease [Re: Brother Phil] #6499925 10/18/16 01:36 AM
K
krmitchell Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
K
Originally Posted By: Brother Phil
A mans word is still his bond. If not, then he is not a man. A contract is always better than not having one. However, if someone is dishonest, you are shafted either way. A lease is mostly based on trust and mutual respect for all involved. I have had some unpleasant experiences with leases, mostly day leases, but overall most people were OK to deal with.

A contract is nice for the person leasing the land, if the expectations and rules are spelled out in it, it can fix a lot of problems before they start. in writing it is clear to all parties what is being agreed to and the landowner is less likely to spring a surprise rule on you.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide