Page 1 of 2 1 2
FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) #6494086 10/13/16 07:33 PM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
I went to a UPS store to ship a rifle to an FFL out of state. Well, they don’t ship rifles! The only option is to go to their distribution center that’s open to the public only from 5:30 pm to 8 pm.
It appears that the best way to ship a rifle is to use an FFL…. It’s less of a hassle, they get better shipment rates, and at the end, it won’t cost you more.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494087 10/13/16 07:34 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
The UPS Store will ship it, but it has to be pre-labeled with a UPS label. I do this often with my UPS account. Go to a mail packing center that ships with all carriers, and they will. I have a PO Box through one of these general shippers, and they handle everything from ammo, firearms and wine.

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494109 10/13/16 07:52 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Use the McKinney shipping center. It's very convenient if you live in Allen.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: ChadTRG42] #6494119 10/13/16 08:00 PM
G
GLC Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted By: ChadTRG42
The UPS Store will ship it, but it has to be pre-labeled with a UPS label. I do this often with my UPS account. Go to a mail packing center that ships with all carriers, and they will. I have a PO Box through one of these general shippers, and they handle everything from ammo, firearms and wine.

The small UPS stores in Burleson will not ship anything even connected about a firearm. They will not take rifles at all. I was even told that if it was a bolt that goes to a firearm they would not ship it. Real crazy there. Only the main UPS operation in Ft Worth will take it around me. I tried to ship a rifle barrel at a local UPS store in Burleson and I was told no. I told him I made a mistake on the description and it really is a hollow steel piece of pipe and he said ok, he will ship it. Go figure.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: ChadTRG42] #6494135 10/13/16 08:14 PM
P
patriot07 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
P
Thanks! I've had issues shipping them before as well.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494201 10/13/16 09:20 PM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Use the US Post Office. They ship firearms all of the time, as does FedEx and UPS.

Remember that what you put in the box is your business, not theirs. "Machine parts" or "Steel Pipe" is all that they need or deserve to know, if they get inappropriately nosy about it.

If you act like a sucker or a victim, you'll soon be suckered into being victimized, just as sure as night follows day.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494233 10/13/16 09:53 PM
T
Theringworm Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
T
Benefits of living in West, TX. I have shipped two rifles via my local UPS store, not a distribution center. No pre-printed labels. Told them I need to ship this insured to said address. They printed the label and off she went. No issues at all.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: charlesb] #6494289 10/13/16 10:47 PM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: charlesb
Use the US Post Office. They ship firearms all of the time, as does FedEx and UPS.

Remember that what you put in the box is your business, not theirs. "Machine parts" or "Steel Pipe" is all that they need or deserve to know, if they get inappropriately nosy about it.

If you act like a sucker or a victim, you'll soon be suckered into being victimized, just as sure as night follows day.

That is incorrect and a violation of federal law.

Federal law requires written notification to the carrier, which is accomplished on their shipping forms. Here is the full regulation for reference.

27 C.F.R. § 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a) No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, That any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm.

(c) No common or contract carrier shall transport or deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm or ammunition with knowledge or reasonable cause to believe that the shipment, transportation, or receipt thereof would be in violation of any provision of this part: Provided, however, That the provisions of this paragraph shall not apply in respect to the transportation of firearms or ammunition in in-bond shipment under Customs laws and regulations.

(d) No common or contract carrier shall knowingly deliver in interstate or foreign commerce any firearm without obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt from the recipient of the package or other container in which there is a firearm: Provided, That this paragraph shall not apply with respect to the return of a firearm to a passenger who places firearms in the carrier's custody for the duration of the trip.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: charlesb] #6494362 10/13/16 11:46 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Huh???

Sorry but Jeffbird is correct!

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: The Dude Abides] #6494368 10/13/16 11:50 PM
C
cabosandinh Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: TXGUNNER308

Huh???

with USPS - yes

with UPS , FedEx - no

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: GLC] #6494374 10/13/16 11:56 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C
Originally Posted By: GLC

The small UPS stores in Burleson will not ship anything even connected about a firearm. They will not take rifles at all. I was even told that if it was a bolt that goes to a firearm they would not ship it. Real crazy there. Only the main UPS operation in Ft Worth will take it around me. I tried to ship a rifle barrel at a local UPS store in Burleson and I was told no. I told him I made a mistake on the description and it really is a hollow steel piece of pipe and he said ok, he will ship it. Go figure.
yep, same here

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: charlesb] #6494377 10/13/16 11:58 PM
C
colt45-90 Offline
Texas colt45
Texas colt45
C

what else do you lie about, never have never will.

hold on Newt, we got a runaway
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: cabosandinh] #6494613 10/14/16 02:49 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: cabosandinh

Huh???

with USPS - yes

with UPS , FedEx - no

Cabo, respectfully, that also is incorrect.

The regulation applies to all common carriers including FedEx and UPS.

Here is an example of a federal prosecution for shipping via UPS without disclosure.

Count One of the Indictment charges Defendant, Adrian Campbell, a/k/a Kevin Lion, with knowingly delivering and causing to be delivered to a common carrier for transportation and shipment in interstate and foreign commerce to persons other than a licensed importer, manufacturer, dealer, and collector, a container in which there was a firearm by delivering to United Parcel Service (“UPS”) on or about March 22, 2010, a box containing a handgun concealed inside a DVD player, without giving written notice to UPS that the firearm was being transported and shipped, in violation 18 U.S.C. § 922(e). (Doc. 1.) The statute Defendant Campbell is charged with violating provides, in relevant part:It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce, to persons other than licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped ...18 U.S.C. § 922(e).5 Count One of the Indictment specifically refers to and tracks the language of 18 U.S.C. § 922(e), and provides notice to Defendant Campbell of the charges to be defended. According to the allegations in the Indictment, Defendant delivered to United Parcel Service (“UPS”) a box which contained a handgun concealed inside a DVD player, without giving written notice to UPS that the firearm was being transported and shipped. These allegations, if proved, are sufficient to establish a violation of 18 U.S.C. § 922(e).

United States v. Campbell, 1:11-CR-00460-AT, 2012 WL 2373037, at *6 (N.D. Ga. June 22, 2012)

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494641 10/14/16 03:13 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I may be wrong but I was told that "interstate" is the keyword in the aforementioned law. Same knowledgable individual told me long guns shipped INTRASTATE from individual to individual is legal. I would consult a more reliable source than the Internet however.

Last edited by westexhunt; 10/14/16 03:16 AM.
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: westexhunt] #6494653 10/14/16 03:22 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: westexhunt
I may be wrong but I was told that "interstate" is the keyword in the aforementioned law. Same knowledgable individual told me long guns shipped INTRASTATE from individual to individual is legal. I would consult a more reliable source than the Internet however.

That is a completely different issue. A seller may ship to a buyer, if they are residents within the same state, without having to transfer it through a FFL, assuming they otherwise may legally own and possess it. Even then, shipping it through UPS, FedEx or USPS still requires disclosure of the firearm to the common carrier.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: jeffbird] #6494659 10/14/16 03:33 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Shipping to an FFL out of state is legal only if you disclose the contents? is that the argument here? Guess I missed the FFL part earlier. I didn't read the original post carefully.

Last edited by westexhunt; 10/14/16 03:34 AM.
Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494661 10/14/16 03:37 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Federal law requires any firearm or ammunition shipped on a common carrier anywhere, anytime, to anyone to be disclosed to the common carrier.

Who may ship to whom and whether it must go through a FFL is a different set of questions, issues, and laws.

From the ATF

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494665 10/14/16 03:44 AM
westexhunt Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Thanks

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: westexhunt] #6494673 10/14/16 03:56 AM
J
jeffbird Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
J
Originally Posted By: westexhunt
Thanks

You're welcome.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494692 10/14/16 04:25 AM
K
Kevin1 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
K
I've heard Fedex and USPS are not very reliable for shipping firearms. It seems that UPS is the better choice.

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Theringworm] #6494739 10/14/16 09:57 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Theringworm
Benefits of living in West, TX. I have shipped two rifles via my local UPS store, not a distribution center. No pre-printed labels. Told them I need to ship this insured to said address. They printed the label and off she went. No issues at all.

Same thing here.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: The Dude Abides] #6494742 10/14/16 10:01 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C

Huh???

Not really. To a licensed dealer, the reg he quoted does not apply. Read it.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/14/16 10:18 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: jeffbird] #6494744 10/14/16 10:08 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: jeffbird
Federal law requires any firearm or ammunition shipped on a common carrier anywhere, anytime, to anyone to be disclosed to the common carrier.

Who may ship to whom and whether it must go through a FFL is a different set of questions, issues, and laws.

From the ATF

May a nonlicensee ship a firearm by common or contract carrier?

A nonlicensee may ship a firearm by a common or contract carrier to a resident of his or her or her own State or to a licensee in any State. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun. In addition, Federal law requires that the carrier be notified that the shipment contains a firearm or ammunition, prohibits common or contract carriers from requiring or causing any label to be placed on any package indicating that it contains a firearm and requires obtaining written acknowledgement of receipt.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(2)(A), 922(a)(5), 922(e) and (f); 27 CFR 478.30 and 478.31]

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-common-or-contract-carrier

Good to see some clarification on this. If it is not a handgun, then a contract carrier is not required, and so neither is any kind of notification. Non-licensees must ship to those who are licensed, unless the recipient resides in the same state.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/14/16 10:17 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494745 10/14/16 10:09 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Kevin1
I've heard Fedex and USPS are not very reliable for shipping firearms. It seems that UPS is the better choice.

The only problem that I've ever encountered was with a FedEX shipment.

I got no tracking number, and FedEx had no record of ever picking up the package.

A few days later, the recipient notified me that FedEx had delivered the package that they had no record of ever having in their system.

This has not inspired confidence in FedEx here but to be fair, it was just one incident.

Last edited by charlesb; 10/14/16 10:14 AM.

Kind regards, charlesb

Re: FFL is the best way to ship a rifle (even within TX) [Re: Kevin1] #6494753 10/14/16 10:20 AM
C
charlesb Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Kevin1
I went to a UPS store to ship a rifle to an FFL out of state. Well, they don’t ship rifles! The only option is to go to their distribution center that’s open to the public only from 5:30 pm to 8 pm.
It appears that the best way to ship a rifle is to use an FFL…. It’s less of a hassle, they get better shipment rates, and at the end, it won’t cost you more.

Did you report the store manager to UPS?

I will guess here that they will frown upon store managers making up their own rules, and turning away business.

Kind regards, charlesb

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide