Print Thread
Handgun while bow hunting. #6487830 10/09/16 06:41 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
I could not find anything in the new Annual about carrying a handgun while bow hunting.
Used to be that a CHL holders with a Concealed handgun was ok.

Has that restriction been removed? I am a CHL but is there an issue with an open carry with a chl/ltc?

Funny thing about getting older:
Your eyesight starts getting weaker but your ability to
see through people's BS gets much better.
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6487876 10/09/16 07:26 PM
D
Dalee7892 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
D
You can carry a pistol or long gun during bow season as long as that firearm is not used to kill an animal that needs to be tagged. Pigs, exotics are open season.
Government property might be different.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: Dalee7892] #6488024 10/09/16 09:50 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted By: Dalee7892
You can carry a pistol or long gun during bow season as long as that firearm is not used to kill an animal that needs to be tagged. Pigs, exotics are open season.
Government property might be different.

Can you provide the link or code to the book?

I ask because I sure could have used a firearm the other night

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6488046 10/09/16 10:11 PM
dgilbert Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
By policy, the department has historically allowed persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun under the provisions of Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, to be in possession of a handgun while hunting during an archery season. The department has determined that rather than have a confusing regulation that allows firearms to be possessed during archery seasons in some circumstances, but not in others, it is prudent to allow any person to possess a firearm while hunting during archery seasons; however, the use of a firearm to take turkey or deer during an archery season would still be prohibited.

Link to TPWD Proposal and Public Comments

02-21-2014

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: dgilbert] #6488686 10/10/16 03:46 AM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: dgilbert
By policy, the department has historically allowed persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun under the provisions of Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, to be in possession of a handgun while hunting during an archery season. The department has determined that rather than have a confusing regulation that allows firearms to be possessed during archery seasons in some circumstances, but not in others, it is prudent to allow any person to possess a firearm while hunting during archery seasons; however, the use of a firearm to take turkey or deer during an archery season would still be prohibited.

02-21-2014

Link not there.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6488782 10/10/16 12:05 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted By: pegasaurus
[quote=dgilbert]By policy, the department has historically allowed persons licensed to carry a concealed handgun under the provisions of Government Code, Chapter 411, Subchapter H, to be in possession of a handgun while hunting during an archery season. The department has determined that rather than have a confusing regulation that allows firearms to be possessed during archery seasons in some circumstances, but not in others, it is prudent to allow any person to possess a firearm while hunting during archery seasons; however, the use of a firearm to take turkey or deer during an archery season would still be prohibited.

02-21-2014

roflmao

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6489199 10/10/16 05:44 PM
P
pegasaurus Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Well, I looked all over this here interweb and all I could find was a couple posts on a proposl for removing the restriction on carrying a firearm while bow hunting didn't the archery only season.

So, I called the local GW. He said I was correct that I would find nothing because the restriction has been removed and he prefers it that way. He said there is no issue with carrying rifle or handgun while bow hunting. He said it is very obvious if someone shot a deer with a gun versus a bow.

So, I think I will carry my at with me to the bow stand next time.
Well, I looked all over this here interweb and all I could find was a couple posts on a proposl for removing the restriction on carrying a firearm while bow hunting didn't the archery only season.

So, I called the local GW. He said I was correct that I would find nothing because the restriction has been removed and he prefers it that way. He said there is no issue with carrying rifle or handgun while bow hunting. He said it is very obvious if someone shot a deer with a gun versus a bow.

So, I think I will carry my AR with me to the bow stand next time. up

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6489524 10/10/16 09:21 PM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Probably don't want to advertise the change for fear of having to reimburse all those folks that got ticketed.

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6489906 10/11/16 02:12 AM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
I guess if you were in grizzly country or something maybe there would be a need to.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6490160 10/11/16 11:30 AM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
I don't carry a hand gun when hunting. I hunt from tree stands and try to stay as light as possible. I have never been close to being attacked by anything other than wasps on occasion and a crazy raccoon that took exception to me climbing up into his tree before daylight. I have to admit that he did scare the living hell out of me.

I have a CHL but never carry when hunting. I feel far safer in the woods than I do anywhere else I might go!

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6490866 10/11/16 07:21 PM
L
Las Colinas Hunter Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
L
I carry a pistol with me - the one time I didn't I was treed for nearly an hour with pigs under my tree. I shot 3 with my bow, missed two and then out of arrows. Even with the stuck pigs squealing the rest of still hung around.

I have carried an AR previously with me, when I knew a big boar was in the area and tearing up my feeder.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6491171 10/11/16 10:41 PM
P
passthru Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
bs I call you on the pigs treeing you thing. Urban legend that pigs attack people. Wound one, maybe. Get in the way when they want to go that way, maybe. Otherwise they run. I've killed hundreds. They run.

I work hard, drink a little and hunt when I can.
NRA Life Member
https://sofalasafaris.com/
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: Las Colinas Hunter] #6491224 10/11/16 11:24 PM
C
ChrisB Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
C
Originally Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter
I carry a pistol with me - the one time I didn't I was treed for nearly an hour with pigs under my tree. I shot 3 with my bow, missed two and then out of arrows. Even with the stuck pigs squealing the rest of still hung around.

I have carried an AR previously with me, when I knew a big boar was in the area and tearing up my feeder.

I'd have to see that. I've killed tons of hogs on our place and they are the most wary animal in the woods. I've watched pigs spook on the trail I walked in on by scent and I was wearing rubber boots. Our pigs will spook by seeing a chum pile of corn I pour out between the feeder and my stand. They dang sure ain't going to hang around if they see you.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6491226 10/11/16 11:26 PM
M
millerliteliker Offline
Tracker
Tracker
M
True about hogs - they do NOT attack people. They go out of their way to avoid contact with people.

My sons first bow "kill" was a big boar we snuck up on and stalked to within 15 yards. My son was 11 and had a 45# Mission youth bow (really a ladies bow but I did not tell him that) and he put an arrow into that boar and it went all of about 4 inches into him! Just enough to piss him off! He jumped up and ran right past my son almost knocking him down. I almost had alot of explaining to do to my kid's momma.

Last edited by millerliteliker; 10/11/16 11:26 PM.

Mathews Z7 Bow for Whitetail and Hogs
Remington R-15 .223 REM for predators
I also like to "hunt" sporting clays with my Benelli SuperSport!
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: passthru] #6491682 10/12/16 03:59 AM
T
TackDriver Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
T
Originally Posted By: passthru
bs I call you on the pigs treeing you thing. Urban legend that pigs attack people. Wound one, maybe. Get in the way when they want to go that way, maybe. Otherwise they run. I've killed hundreds. They run.

Don't laugh,,,I remembered driving at my ranch and saw a covey of quail spooked in high grass and they flew up and a short flight down a small truck path into some thicket, so I got off the truck with my .410 and walked down that small path, and passed a small opening in a thicket and all of a sudden a huge sow, about 350 lbs, stuck half of her body out of that hole in the thicket and snorted in anger and several piglets crawled around her. She must not have been no more than 15 feet away, and her tusks were pretty ferocious looking and she was pissed and I moved my .410 in her direction slowly just in case she charged ( of course if I shot her, it will just make her mad grin) because I wanted to get the hell out of there, once I moved a tiny bit, she suddenly charged and I dropped the .410 and ran with my boots the opposite direction through a thicket and into a small half dried out pond and still heard her behind me, lost a boot in the mud and she gave me a good nudge on my butt and tore the back of my pocket open, luckily my wallet was there and I used to be a track star in my school days, but oh boy, when that hog head butted me, I never ran so fast in my life, lmao. Came to a fence and dived over 5 feet of fence and barely made it over which resulted in tearing my front pants with those barbed wire and some cuts on my legs and once I was on the other side, she turned back and left so fast that I never saw her leave but heard crashing through the thicket when she went back to her cave. Geez, I never had been shaking so bad in my life, lost my wallet by the pond and found it 15 years later with my money still in it when I went duck hunting. Saw that big sow a year later and she succumbed to a 7mm bullet. I have a CHL and I will carry my .38 Super if I go bowhunting, no matter what. Lesson learned.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6491702 10/12/16 05:01 AM
J
Jbell99 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
I carry with me when hunting we had a big group of pigs come in on us while dove hunting this year but I forgot my pistol since then I always carry it with me when I'm hunting. It's also great for snakes and other animals. As far as people saying a pig won't chase you that's bs when I was little I was walking through the woods and had one chase me I never want to do that again

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6491737 10/12/16 10:40 AM
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
If I know I will see hogs while bow hunting I am taking a rifle to shoot as many hogs as cheaply as I can. I hate hogs, so I don't see very many with the pressure I put on them. I do have one big boar that showed up about a week ago that is getting on a good pattern between 11pm and midnight right now. Just need a bit better moon and I am going to kill him if I can't catch him first. Did I mention I hate hogs. rifle

Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6491865 10/12/16 12:50 PM
N
Novemberyet Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
N
I check a hog trap on my lease and I carry. In fact, I've got one on now up in the blind.

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: passthru] #6491886 10/12/16 01:04 PM
C
cva34 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C

Gota agree, Corner one they will fight to get out...Sow with small pigs /get between her and them/or make one Squeal watch out.. A trapped one will try to fight there way out...We raised hogs as a kid.Hunted on leases with them prolly 40y..Killed and Trapped and snared..Got 3 Boars (250LB)each at my back fence eating Corn 30feet from my Patio Door..We watch them nitely from window..My lil dog will run up to fence Bark (maybe 5f from them)They used to run and now he seldom Barks and they don't run..Thy just give him a look and continue to eat..Across fence is not mine property ... so they LIVE..otherwise they would be SAUSAGE..

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6492029 10/12/16 02:21 PM
D
DuckCoach1985 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
D
FYI if you do happen to leave the pistol at home, 7.5 lead shot to the dome WILL drop a pig (at fairly close range). I know from experience confused2

Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: TackDriver] #6492070 10/12/16 02:46 PM
1860.colt Online Content
emoji colt.45
Online Content
emoji colt.45
Originally Posted By: Big Stan

Don't laugh,,,I remembered driving at my ranch and saw a covey of quail spooked in high grass and they flew up and a short flight down a small truck path into some thicket, so I got off the truck with my .410 and walked down that small path, and passed a small opening in a thicket and all of a sudden a huge sow, about 350 lbs, stuck half of her body out of that hole in the thicket and snorted in anger and several piglets crawled around her. She must not have been no more than 15 feet away, and her tusks were pretty ferocious looking and she was pissed and I moved my .410 in her direction slowly just in case she charged ( of course if I shot her, it will just make her mad grin) because I wanted to get the hell out of there, once I moved a tiny bit, she suddenly charged and I dropped the .410 and ran with my boots the opposite direction through a thicket and into a small half dried out pond and still heard her behind me, lost a boot in the mud and she gave me a good nudge on my butt and tore the back of my pocket open, luckily my wallet was there and I used to be a track star in my school days, but oh boy, when that hog head butted me, I never ran so fast in my life, lmao. Came to a fence and dived over 5 feet of fence and barely made it over which resulted in tearing my front pants with those barbed wire and some cuts on my legs and once I was on the other side, she turned back and left so fast that I never saw her leave but heard crashing through the thicket when she went back to her cave. Geez, I never had been shaking so bad in my life, lost my wallet by the pond and found it 15 years later with my money still in it when I went duck hunting. Saw that big sow a year later and she succumbed to a 7mm bullet. I have a CHL and I will carry my .38 Super if I go bowhunting, no matter what. Lesson learned.

rofl tis what i enjoy bout texasHF the discussion & difference of opinions, as old saying goes every one has one as pappy once said: mine stinks rofl i like my beans...
Before the wave of NV &; Thermal would huntsolo at night flash light off with slinger me pistol on me hip on a 1100 acre lease was on... Have been on hands & knees going threw thick brush & briar recovering wounded hog, reason got nickname taz caveman at foundry... Even wounded deer been known ta attack if cornered... All the time spent hunting the thick stuff for hogs, finding beds were sows getting ready ta have pigglets, have been im few tight situations... Only twice had hogs come at me... First, sow bluff charged when it had several small ones... Trying ta get video of it, twas new ta cell phone with cam & video, the hog left after seeing was standing my ground... 2nd time, after firing a round at hog, Iit spun around & ran at me, had to side step... Hog was more desorented than charging...
Do agree with passthru 99% of time hog gomna avoid hunter... Chit happens though...
As pappy said: tis not the hogs that scare me, rather hunters that are scared & choot at the first soind or movement ... My tagoto place ta hog hunt is WMA &; in thick stuff... The hog attacks some times tis more myth & some use it for reason ta carry pistal during archery, could see it for finishing off a hog, not for protection... personaly have never felt need ta pac... When hunting with my AR only carry 3-5 rounds & close range making sure of my target... Just my 2cents i have cheap posts... Stay Safe... flag

Last edited by colt.45; 10/12/16 02:53 PM.

i'm postaddic
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6492086 10/12/16 02:54 PM
D
Dalroo Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
I carry the Bond Snakeslayer with PDX-1 Defenders when bowhunting. Would have to let something get pretty close to have a legit chance of hitting, but the discs and buckshot - along with the ridiculously loud "BANG" - may deter. Plus keep a few 410 birdshot in pocket for snakes. Only drawback is being limited to two shots.

Dalroo
Deep in the Heart of Texas
How about that Brandon!
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: passthru] #6494164 10/13/16 08:39 PM
J
JYG71 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
I got challenged for feeder access off a pipeline at 4:30am one time, Green lamp didn't slow them down I was using a climber during bow season no sooner had I got the bottom half on the tree here come three adults snapping making noise and hitting the tree. one jumped and snout hit the bottom of the tree stand while i was shimmying up as fast as I could go.my bow at the base with the hogs knocking it around. If i had a pistol I'd had meat for sure.

The most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the government and I'm here to help.
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: pegasaurus] #6496167 10/15/16 12:33 PM
L
Loanman Offline
Tracker
Tracker
L
Since we hunt in the middle of no where I can leave my bow in the stand (fiber glass tank blind) that allows me to carry my Hog Roller...Marlin 45/70....to and from the vehicle.
I have been chased by a 125 lb boar and had a couple of run ins with some more herds or Sounders, but being chased once was enough for me.
If you haven't been chased by one then you haven't been close enough, (you should try stalking with a bow) that is hunting.
they will defend their family or territory like most other animals of their size and appetite.

Thejeffersonteam.com

If you have a Mortgage Question call anytime, always here to help Fellow Hunters.
Been Helping Families get in Their Homes for many years, Families need a place to live!
Re: Handgun while bow hunting. [Re: passthru] #6499759 10/17/16 11:51 PM
K
KYBLUEFAN Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
K

I call BS on your BS. I work with a guy whose dad was helping coworker's brother find a doe that he didn't make a good shot on or something like that into the night. He came up on what he thought was brush from a distance but once he got closer the boar stood up. Dad started running the exact opposite way. Boar caught up with him and pushed him down and ran over him but then came back and slashed his leg pretty good. Brother was a distance away with his 10 yo boy. He took care of his boy first then went after the boar with whatever he could find (no gun) and the boar took off. Dad went to ER. They dosed him up with a bunch of antibiotics and then told him "when this gets infected" to do such and such. Not if it gets infected but when. He has no reason to tell a tall tale like that unless it really happened.

ETA. FIL was hunting with friends. He had a .44 Ruger. He had a boar charging and was trying to aim while his buddy is pounding his right shoulder and saying "shootem Mike shootem". His friend doesn't deny it and laughs. FIL doesn't laugh when he tells that story.

Last edited by KYBLUEFAN; 10/17/16 11:58 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide