475616 Topics
6239225 Posts

Max Online: 16728 @ 03/25/12 08:51 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6487551 - 10/09/16 09:37 AM Lee anniversary kit
Matt Hejl Offline
Outdoorsman

Does the powder measure just have a setting for grain amounts? How does it work?

Also why that and a scale?

#6487599 - 10/09/16 10:13 AM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Lee is an odd duck. Their powder drop drops by volume, not weight. The markings on the adjustment knob coincide with their dippers. Their recipes are in grains, but also have a "dipper" comparison. So, if you want to speed up the process and use either the dippers or the powder dropper, you need to check the weight in grains periodically. Their book has a chart in the back with just about every modern powder showing what each dipper will weigh in grains for each powder. I have that kit and just got a good digital scale.

Edited to add: The spoons from Wendy's are the best I've used for trickling powder onto the pan. I don't know what they're made of, but they will not pick up a static charge. I can pick up and drop a single granule of Varget out of the jug with one of those spoons if needed.

Edited by Slow Drifter (10/09/16 10:20 AM)

A. Einstein

#6487607 - 10/09/16 10:17 AM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
bar-d Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fisher County
No offense meant but if you don't know the answer to those questions, you are probably not ready to start reloading. I am assuming the kit came with a manual. Read it first, learn how your equipment works. Your "grain amounts" are determined by load data for the cartridge and bullet you are working with. The scale is there to measure your powder charge and adjust your measure accordingly. I never used Lee dippers or any other kind for measuring powder charges. PLEASE, do some research, watch some instructional videos or better yet, find a mentor to help you learn to reload. If I misunderstood your questions and have offended you, I apologize, but loading ammunition is not something you need to jump into if you have no idea what you are doing. Be safe. Again, no offense meant.

Edited by bar-d (10/09/16 10:28 AM)

#6487617 - 10/09/16 10:23 AM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
Slow Drifter Offline

Loc: Central Texas
Oh yeah, READ the first 10 chapters of the Lee loading manual. Over and over again. I'm by no means a Lee salesman, but the first 10 chapters of that book contain a wealth of knowledge whether you use their stuff or not.

A. Einstein

#6487633 - 10/09/16 10:29 AM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
boxerrider Online   content
Outdoorsman

Loc: Not Quite Desert, Texas
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, so I'll toss out some basic stuff and we can go from there.
A grain is a unit of mass (1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams).
Powder dispensers like the one in the Lee kit deliver a consistent volume of powder each time. They can be adjusted to drop a smaller or larger amount of powder by reducing or enlarging the opening in the metering chamber.
The densities (mass/volume) of powders differ significantly, so the balance (scale) is used to measure the mass of that volume of that powder.

Jeff

#6487709 - 10/09/16 11:51 AM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: bar-d]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Originally Posted By: bar-d
No offense meant but if you don't know the answer to those questions, you are probably not ready to start reloading. I am assuming the kit came with a manual. Read it first, learn how your equipment works. Your "grain amounts" are determined by load data for the cartridge and bullet you are working with. The scale is there to measure your powder charge and adjust your measure accordingly. I never used Lee dippers or any other kind for measuring powder charges. PLEASE, do some research, watch some instructional videos or better yet, find a mentor to help you learn to reload. If I misunderstood your questions and have offended you, I apologize, but loading ammunition is not something you need to jump into if you have no idea what you are doing. Be safe. Again, no offense meant.

EXACTLY. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#6487757 - 10/09/16 12:48 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: bar-d]
Matt Hejl Offline
Outdoorsman

This is exactly what I am currently doing. I don't own any reloading equipment right now. I'm in the phase of research prior to buying, watching videos, etc...that's what this forum is for right? Is help and information?

#6487760 - 10/09/16 12:49 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: boxerrider]
Matt Hejl Offline
Outdoorsman

Originally Posted By: boxerrider
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking, so I'll toss out some basic stuff and we can go from there.
A grain is a unit of mass (1 grain = 64.79891 milligrams).
Powder dispensers like the one in the Lee kit deliver a consistent volume of powder each time. They can be adjusted to drop a smaller or larger amount of powder by reducing or enlarging the opening in the metering chamber.
The densities (mass/volume) of powders differ significantly, so the balance (scale) is used to measure the mass of that volume of that powder.

Jeff

This is the type of info I'm looking for. Thank you for answering my question. Much appreciated!

#6487800 - 10/09/16 01:16 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
bar-d Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Fisher County
Originally Posted By: Matt Hejl

This is exactly what I am currently doing. I don't own any reloading equipment right now. I'm in the phase of research prior to buying, watching videos, etc...that's what this forum is for right? Is help and information?

You are absolutely correct. Your OP did not state you had no equipment yet. I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that you had purchased the Lee kit. I apologized in advance with my post in case I misunderstood. There are a lot of knowledgeable, long time reloaders here and all of us are happy to help with questions. My post was meant to provide the help and information you are seeking, I guess you did not take it that way as you seem to be a little put out with my post. I will apologize once more and wish you luck on your path to reloading.

#6487827 - 10/09/16 01:37 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: bar-d]
Matt Hejl Offline
Outdoorsman

You are absolutely correct. Your OP did not state you had no equipment yet. I assumed, obviously incorrectly, that you had purchased the Lee kit. I apologized in advance with my post in case I misunderstood. There are a lot of knowledgeable, long time reloaders here and all of us are happy to help with questions. My post was meant to provide the help and information you are seeking, I guess you did not take it that way as you seem to be a little put out with my post. I will apologize once more and wish you luck on your path to reloading.

No no no! I'm super appreciative of any and all information I can get here. Thank you and about the time I replied I saw a great video showing how a scale and powder dumping tool work together and now it makes sense why you'd have to have both.

Next question....is their a single powder you can use with most rifle cartridges?

I have a 223/556, 243, 308, and 22-250

#6487837 - 10/09/16 01:44 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
Creedmoor Online   content
Tracker

Loc: Soon to be Hudson Oaks
Some single powders may work with more than one cartridge. But usually not very well.

H335, Benchmark, H4350, IMR4064, Varget and some others are versatile in that regard. But If you're looking to stock only one powder for several different cartridges you're likely going to be disappointed with the results.

IMR4064 will do well in the 243 and 308.

#6487845 - 10/09/16 01:53 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
Lee uses data from the powder manufactures in their manual with those manufactures permisson. They organized it for each combo by velocity.

Their powder measurers are in cubic centameters and their manual has how many CCs are for the load which gets you close for the setting but always use a powder scale to verify.

On their manual Richard Lee did a real good informative work in those first 10 chapters including the best section on bullet casting I have read

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6488264 - 10/09/16 07:32 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
Big Stan Online   content
Bird Dog

[quote=bar-d][quote=Matt Hejl][quote=bar-d]

Next question....is their a single powder you can use with most rifle cartridges?

I have a 223/556, 243, 308, and 22-250

I believe it shows all the powders listed in the reloading manuals, different reloading manuals has an assortment of powders available. Check them and google online as well. Berger, Hodgdon, Alliant, Hornady, etc, websites have them as well. there are slow and fast burning powders for different bullet weights. Good luck.

Edited by Big Stan (10/09/16 07:33 PM)

#6488322 - 10/09/16 08:03 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
kmon1 Online   content
junior

Loc: Texas
There are some powders that will work for all 4 of those cartridges but will not be optimum for all four. There are some that will work very well for 223 and 308 and others that will work very well for 22-250 and 243. I could see getting very good results with couple powders for those 4 cartridge selections dependent on bullet weight for each being part of the determining factor. Some for 223 and 308 that come to mind are Varget and CFE223 among others

Near the top of this forum there is a sticky with several links that are quite useful for the new reloader and experienced as well. Link

RULES for using the TRADING POST
http://www.texashuntingforum.com/forum/u..._PO#Post1959111

#6488542 - 10/09/16 09:22 PM Re: Lee anniversary kit [Re: Matt Hejl]
Matt Hejl Offline
Outdoorsman

What method do you guys use setting up your dies? I notice they are adjustable...I know with the de-priming and resizing die, you just want to lift the press all the way up and then screw the die down to where it meets it and touches, but what about bullet seating one?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 2004-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide